Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comparing GW to WoW

VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

So, I picked up WoW not that long ago. It was recommended to me a few times, and it sounded like a pretty good game.

*shoots a random flamer/troll*

Anyway, while I was playing the game, I took it upon myself to compare this game with Guild Wars. I took careful note on every detail I've come across and searched for similarities as well as differences. My conclusion is thus:

"Why the f#@$ are people comparing these two games? They've got NOTHING in common!"

Both games are solid, I like both. But, I can't like them on any kind of similar level, there's just not enough in common here.

In WoW, gaining a single level can mean a world of difference. It means you can actually stand a good chance against a monster that would have been impossible a level ago, you could power up your skills, and lower level monsters become that much easier to manage. In GW, a level 9 can stand up with a level 20 (I've seen it done).

In WoW, you spend a huge amount of your time killing monsters. You don't technically need to, but a huge number of the quests require you to "Kill X Whatsits". Not really a bad thing, those quests move right along and getting there is half the fun. In GW, you don't have to kill ANYTHING you don't feel like with the exception of a few areas. If you were careful, you could walk from Ascalon to Sanctum Cay and never need to kill anything.

In WoW, your stuff nearly defines your effectiveness. In GW, it's your build. In WoW, you can't take high level quests or equip high level armors until you are that level. There's no such thing in GW. WoW has sepperated servers AND aliances, GW is all open (player wise).

So far, the only things I'm seeing in common are "Both are on MMORPG.Com" and "both have instances". Am I missing something here? Or, do I need to play some WoW PvP first?

--~~--
Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

Comments

• nero666nero666 Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by VGJustice

So, I picked up WoW not that long ago. It was recommended to me a few times, and it sounded like a pretty good game.

*shoots a random flamer/troll*

Anyway, while I was playing the game, I took it upon myself to compare this game with Guild Wars. I took careful note on every detail I've come across and searched for similarities as well as differences. My conclusion is thus:

"Why the f#@$ are people comparing these two games? They've got NOTHING in common!"

Both games are solid, I like both. But, I can't like them on any kind of similar level, there's just not enough in common here.

In WoW, gaining a single level can mean a world of difference. It means you can actually stand a good chance against a monster that would have been impossible a level ago, you could power up your skills, and lower level monsters become that much easier to manage. In GW, a level 9 can stand up with a level 20 (I've seen it done).

In WoW, you spend a huge amount of your time killing monsters. You don't technically need to, but a huge number of the quests require you to "Kill X Whatsits". Not really a bad thing, those quests move right along and getting there is half the fun. In GW, you don't have to kill ANYTHING you don't feel like with the exception of a few areas. If you were careful, you could walk from Ascalon to Sanctum Cay and never need to kill anything.

In WoW, your stuff nearly defines your effectiveness. In GW, it's your build. In WoW, you can't take high level quests or equip high level armors until you are that level. There's no such thing in GW. WoW has sepperated servers AND aliances, GW is all open (player wise).

So far, the only things I'm seeing in common are "Both are on MMORPG.Com" and "both have instances". Am I missing something here? Or, do I need to play some WoW PvP first?

you can compare them by fun factor
    they are both games

• KorneliusKornelius Member Posts: 54

Again ? ::::15::

GW- Warrior lvl18 - Monk lvl4

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

I came to GW with a WoW perspective. I have been running around killing everything trying to earn gold to buy better stuff, because that is what you have to do in WoW.  I'm still rather new to GW (about 15 hrs or so) and I have been shying away from higher lvl critters, because as you mentioned in WoW anything 3 lvls above you will usually kick you butt. Are you telling me that it is not that way in GW?

Another question. Do you need a expert salvage kit to get a rune out of something or can you use the standard kit? I looked it up on guildwiki but it did not say if the standard kit would just turn the purple item I'm trying to salvage into regular crafting mats.

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Originally posted by WantsumBier

I came to GW with a WoW perspective. I have been running around killing everything trying to earn gold to buy better stuff, because that is what you have to do in WoW.  I'm still rather new to GW (about 15 hrs or so) and I have been shying away from higher lvl critters, because as you mentioned in WoW anything 3 lvls above you will usually kick you butt. Are you telling me that it is not that way in GW?
    Another question. Do you need a expert salvage kit to get a rune out of something or can you use the standard kit? I looked it up on guildwiki but it did not say if the standard kit would just turn the purple item I'm trying to salvage into regular crafting mats.

Guild Wars is based on skill.  I was level 5 before playing against level 20's... if you're good enough, you "can" do it.

You pretty much can solo the whole PvE by yourself and some henchmen.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Yeah, what Vertex1980 says is true. I figure that things start to get hairy in GW if the monster is about 10 levels higher than you are, and even then you should still be able to stand a chance with a solid build. In fact, that's pretty much what the GW high end content is.

Right now, I'm glad I got WoW. It's a fun game. The controls are really similar to GW too, so I can "practice" for when Nightfall comes out. I still say that the two games don't have hardly anything in common, but I'm still enjoying both. This was a good idea for me. ::::20::

...on the other hand, when Nightfall comes out, I'm gonna have to choose which one will take up all my free time. ::::18::

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

Originally posted by VGJustice

Yeah, what Vertex1980 says is true. I figure that things start to get hairy in GW if the monster is about 10 levels higher than you are, and even then you should still be able to stand a chance with a solid build. In fact, that's pretty much what the GW high end content is.
    Right now, I'm glad I got WoW. It's a fun game. The controls are really similar to GW too, so I can "practice" for when Nightfall comes out. I still say that the two games don't have hardly anything in common, but I'm still enjoying both. This was a good idea for me. ::::20::
    ...on the other hand, when Nightfall comes out, I'm gonna have to choose which one will take up all my free time. ::::18::

Thank you two for responding. I also like both games and now I think I will try some harder areas. I'm lvl 8.5 and still have not ventured far outside of town. 1 on 1 my build is great W/N but I need to get some skills to fight multiple critters (that and get used to hitting my F keys). 

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by WantsumBier

To answer your question about the salvage kit, yes you need to use an expert one to have a "chance" at pulling a rune/up-grade off of something.  If you use a standard one you will always get crafting mats, worse case senerio in using an expert kit for all your salvages is you either get better crafting mats or more of them.

For the record, I agree that both are two completely different games and I think that that is finally starting to sink into peoples heads (only took a little over a year).  I have played both and think they are both fun in their own right. I happen to prefer the Guild Wars setup and PVP a lot more.

I am beginning to re-build a computer so I have no play time right now...makes me sad   But I can not wait to jump back in.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Precisely. They are not anything to compare.

GW = JTP game (Jump in to play) with a solid tempo.

WoW = A stereotypical and slow MMORPG.

Two completely different gaming types, two different worlds. Day and night. Don't go ahead of yourself trying to compare them.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "