Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nub questions

HubabubaHubabuba Member Posts: 229

I played Eve shortly after it first came out.  Mining seemed like a good idea, easy way to make money.  Worked my way up to a cruiser equiped for mining, dumped ore into a container, picked it up with my freighter to haul it back for processing.  I tried mining in deeper space .2-.4 but very rarely lived long enough to haul in my ore.  Joined a corp, did a few mining operations with them, got bored and quit.

A couple years go by and the other day I got the urge to try Eve again and signed up for a new account.  My ultimate goal...I want to see the PvP side of things, to get there I figured I'd start off life running agent missions until I had a few million training points and a good ship, at which point I'll look for a PvP oriented corp.

So, my questions....

1.  Is that a good plan?  If not, would you recommend something different?

2.  What does agent level mean?

3.  What does agent quality mean?

4.  Are there any guides for being an agent runner that you could point me to?

5.  Any other tips or suggestions you could offer to me at this point?

Comments

• Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189

1. yes that was/is my current plan and its working well

sorry im about to leave work now so i dont have time to answer the rest

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Hubabuba
    (...)
    1. Is that a good plan? If not, would you recommend something different?
    2. What does agent level mean?
    3. What does agent quality mean?
    4. Are there any guides for being an agent runner that you could point me to?
    5. Any other tips or suggestions you could offer to me at this point?

1. Sounds good.
    2. Agent level is how hard & rewarding missions are (there are level 1-4 agents.)
    3. Quality determines how much of a reward you get for completing a mission (each ql = % iirc), so a quality 20 agents gives 20% better than a quality 0 agent.
    4. http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g11.asp , There is also a site that gives % on how often an agent gives a kill/courier/trade/mining mission. Althought all but 2 level 4 missions are kill missions at the moment because of old code was removed (other types of missions will be back with Kali).
  • KarakazKarakaz Member Posts: 12

1. I would suggest to start pvp as early as possible. You can loose big if you go in with bigger ships for the first time. Frigates are the best ships to learn pvp. They are fast and great for tacklers, (or so I heard). Besides it takes a while before you have a couple of million sp (skill points) and by that time you may get bored with just running agent missions.

The rest has allready been answerd

• gmmonkeygmmonkey Member Posts: 194
    Look for a corp that has a preliminary corp. I.e. a junior corp that trains you for the bigger corp. I've been pvp'ing in low sec and 0.0 pretty much 3 weeks into starting the game (im at 2mill sp). I've been in a fortunate situation with how I moved within corps. I started off in Eve university, which were part of the big blue alliance and were contstantly war dec'd. Then after that I left for another corp which was part of a med/big alliance which are constantly war dec'd or defending our systems. I spend most of my time in frigs tackling. It's great fun! It's all plusses flying a tackler in a non-blob gang: Low cost and risk flying a frigate. Youre first to loot the enemys cans! (I looted 60 mill isk worth of tech 2 gear in one go earlier on. The sucker BS flyers were too slow to get to the cans. I would of got more but I couldnt fit it all into my cargo bay.) You'll always get on the killmail. Youre the first to warp out if theres an ambush!   If you look carefully, you will find a fast route to non-stop pvp in 0.0. Don't sit around doing missions in high sec. That'll just bore you to death. Good luck.
  • Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189
    While I agree with gmmonkey that u can make millions in low sec when u are fortunate u can at the flip of a coin lose everything you own. (due to bad luck bad tatics or the lag monster) high sec is guaranteed safe income. not that I want to bash ur post gmmonkey just wanted to advise him he may also have the opposite luck.
  • gmmonkeygmmonkey Member Posts: 194
    I agree with you but the risk is half the fun.  Besides, at this moment the op would only be flying frigates if he was joining in, in 0.0. Any half decent corp has a tech 1 frigate replacement program.
  • kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    I'm with the OP.

I've played 3 characters to rougly 300k SP prior to creating my current Caldari Archura(150k so far).  I FINALLY completed the tutorial on this guy...

My ONLY interest in EVE is in the PvP/Pirating portion but I've been under the assumption that it would be a while before I could get serious about PvP even with my Kessie due to lack of usefull skills.

Everyone says, "OMG JOIN A CORP!!11!1" but most PvP/Rat corps have a 1mil SP minimum, at least that i've notcied. 

I'm a little burnt out on the missions as all 4 of my char's have been Caldari and its the same missions over and over.  I've got a few weeks before i'll have the minimum skills for an EVE University Basic PvP course but I plan on doing that as soon as I can.  I *could* have the skills sooner if I wanted but I'm finishing up my Learning skills to 4 atm.

/shrug

I setup a plan with EVEmon that will last me through the next 51 days and have me to 1.7mil SP with basically ALL of the "important" tier 1 (based on forum browsing) PvP skills for a tech 1 Caldari missile boat(Kessie ftw imo) to IV at least.

I've got a level 43 lock in WoW that I'm trying to get to 60 before the Expac releases so I can have 2 60s when I head over to Ebay...  :p  So that should occupy my time while I wait for the skills to train.  The woman has a 46 druid as well and has no interest in EVE atm but I'm hoping I can change her mind sooner rather than later.

So, with little playtime I figure I'll just login to do some missions and hunt some NPC rats from tiem to time between skill training.

Course, that's just what I think imma do, paying for a game that I'm not really playing much isn't realyl a bad thing cause that's what I've been doing with WoW for the past year...  :)

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Kovah, if you haven't already convo those recruiters and let them know who you are. Most won't mind answering a few questions which may get you all setup for joining them or they may kniow of another corp that might take you. Networking in EVE is very similiar to real life since most players only have one "main". May get you there faster than you can realise. Also not all of the SP minimums are set in stone and sometimes the proper attitude a willingness to learn will allow you to get in.

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

If you want to get into PVP, I'd recommend taking a pvp course from Agony Unleashed. I learned a lot from their classes and was a blast! They do a very good job at training new players or new pvper's and showing a good time and you don't even have to join them to take a class.

EDIT: Oh yeah, their website where you sign up for a class. www.agony-unleashed.com

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Yeah, I was talking about Agony's PVP Univ. when I mentioned having the right skills in my first post.  I plan on doing that in the next few weeks.

I'm not *really* looking for a corp atm as, like I said, I have a goal in another game that I want to accomplish before I get too involved with EVE.  Plus, I need time to get my skills up as well as trying to convince the woman to play EVE too...

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by kovah

Yeah, I was talking about Agony's PVP Univ. when I mentioned having the right skills in my first post.  I plan on doing that in the next few weeks.

I'm not *really* looking for a corp atm as, like I said, I have a goal in another game that I want to accomplish before I get too involved with EVE.  Plus, I need time to get my skills up as well as trying to convince the woman to play EVE too...

Ah ok. EVE University is a different corp so when you had said EVE University Basic PvP course I wasn't sure. Good luck with the convincing, I'd recommend getting Social and Fast Talking to lvl 5 for that =)