Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game is nearly dead why put out a new expansion.

Seriously.

I'm not trying to troll or anything, but with the game nearly on it's death bed I don't see the point in spending time developing this. I can understand that there IS still a fair amount of people playing but I mean...give me a break. It would make sense if it is free though.

Comments

• HellFragHellFrag Member Posts: 14
    lol i don't know why people keep saying this game is dead just because its been out far longer then WoW...  it's still the best MMO out as of now and new players and people from WoW are coming in packs every day

• PostmortemPostmortem Member Posts: 21
    dead?  just because it isnt wow with its 5 million subscriptions (of those left playing 80% are kiddies or mmo noobs) doesent mean its dead.  daoc (besides toa) has been a solid game, most especialy for pvp.

daoc still has thousands of accounts and still makes money.  if it didnt they wouldnt be releasing new content.  meh, i will gladly keep my daoc account then play a carebear cookie cutter mmo made for children.

• RepsReps Member Posts: 22

stop lying to yourselves :/

daocs subscription numbers have dropped and dropped, server merges were your first sign of decay. now, at the best of time there are less people on a merged server than there used to be on a single server.

how good is that feeling of simply finding a fight in RvR now? lets not even discuss the populations in PvE zones.

give it up, let it die gracefully.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I may have to give DAOC another try.

DAOC was fun, it just had a very definitive end game for the solo player.

Anyone looking for a solid game can depend on this one from what I remember..

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

DAoC is NOT dead, its simply the best PvP-mmorps out there. ::::08::

• PostmortemPostmortem Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Reps

stop lying to yourselves :/
    daocs subscription numbers have dropped and dropped, server merges were your first sign of decay. now, at the best of time there are less people on a merged server than there used to be on a single server.
    how good is that feeling of simply finding a fight in RvR now? lets not even discuss the populations in PvE zones.
    give it up, let it die gracefully.

of course the subscriptions have died down.  its been out for 5 years.  i dont know when the last time you played was but gareth has 2500 plus primetime and 1500-1800 off hours.

so how good is the feeling find a rvr fight?  im not sure what you are asking?  if you are trying to say that it is hard to find one then you are wrong.  it is quite easy seeing as NF is packed.

pve grp?  packed too.  most people just do TD's because they want to get to rvr asap, but if you stand out side a TD you will find large numbers of people at all lvl ranges.

im not sure what game you are playing. but if you dont like DAoC anymore thats cool.  i dont care and i am sure nobody else does either.  go play your game.  however, to post bs about a game that might turn away resubs and new subs due to misinformation is retarded.

daoc will never be in its hayday again, its been out too long.  it is however still alive and active if you chose one of the busy servers.  tbh, it gets more and more busy on classic because alot of folks have quit WoW because they realized the pvp is awful and its just an instance farm fest.  i have seen a lot of friends coming back recently for the simple fact that all of the "next gen" mmo's blow.

daoc will die when people no longer want to play it.  that isnt the case currently.
  • razziellerazzielle Member Posts: 162

Wow so many different issues on one topic discussion.

Personally Im half and half on the new expansion.  I don't like the idea of a shared race and class for all 3 realms.  Personally I think it's going to be confusing in the bg's.  Usually you click on someone and see sarecen or elf or norse.  Now you'll see minotaur and you wont know if he's red or blue until his name shows up on screen or you read the chat box.  Aside from that I'm sure that they'll be using a h2h weapon with a shield at most.  I doubt it on being dual-weild but it would be a cool idea.  I can just imagine a siegemaster taur with h2h bruiser on a keep door now.

Champ levels I was originally against but I've grown to love them.  Between those and tinderboxes solo time on the zerk was immensly reduced.  I don't like the idea of adding 5 more champ levels.  They're in a good spot right now making the person have to choose how they want to set up.  I know with 5 more levels my zerker would have his second heal, atleast 4 buffs plus the 2 resists and a way to pull the mobs to him instead of going to them.

Another dungeon is a nice idea and I can understand why they put it out in RVR.  It's where everyone's at now-a-days.  The TD's were just a horrible idea (yes I do use them though).  It encourages solo'n due to the high xp bonus and the easyness especially if your a stealther doing a kill the name mob task.  On the plus side Im one of the few that realized that this means other old farming areas in the open or in dungeons have had time to get a higher camp bonus and I generally hit those now.

Yes this game is dieing down but that happens with everything.  The overall population of the merged servers is about the same as what a single server used to be but theres still plenty of people out there.  I know on Devon if you want a rvr fight just go to bled bridge. People are always there.  And in my particular alliance we're always doing something PvE so Im not worried about this game having troubles yet.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Plz don't compare anything to WoW, There were only 47 ppl playing horde on my server last night.

• webalchemywebalchemy Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by razzielle

Wow so many different issues on one topic discussion.
    Personally Im half and half on the new expansion.  I don't like the idea of a shared race and class for all 3 realms.  Personally I think it's going to be confusing in the bg's. 

Looks like the models for each realm will be different though. I saw a couple of them before they got pulled down, and each minotaur looks quite a bit different than its counterpart.

Also, unless you work in Finance for Mythic-EA, please keep your bloomin' trap shut about the overall health of the game... because, quite frankly, you are guesstimating at best. You have NO idea of total subscribers, you have NO idea of their profit margin, and you have NO idea how solvent the company is.

• KingAoeIIKingAoeII Member Posts: 8
    DAoC isnt dying ok less people are playing than used to be i have been playing it for 3 years and have 3 active accounts.But if it was dead then why would Mythic still spend their time developing a new expansion instead of focusing 100% on their forthcoming game Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning? Although Mythic could probably do better things with the game its still a great game whether your new to MMORPG's or not.If you believe its a dead game then why waste your time posting comments about it ?
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I played DAoC when it first came out for 2 years, then left to play WoW.  I regret ever leaving.  Where in WoW at level 60 you have pretty much done everything, and there's nothing more to do, had level 60 hunter with tier 3 epic when I left.  I came back to DAoC after seeing the new models (which if you only do trial version, it doesn't have) and I fell deeply in love with the game again, not that I really ever stopped loving it.

As for the game dying, that is the total opposite of what has happened over the past 6 months or so that I've been playing again.  If anything the population has grown.  Server Clusters now reach 2k nightly.  DAoC may not have the funding of WoW or the massive amount of subscriptions (which I think a million of them are just farmers), but what it does have is RvR and Community.

The RvR of DAoC is amazing, it has fairly remained the same since day one and I still find new things happening.  Even more so, there's nothing more fun than running into a back of little lurikeens and smash them with your hammer

No other game period can match the community either.  Instead of it just being you, yourself, and a bunch of mobs.  You get the sense that there's always someone around to do something with, even in the fairly empty classic lands.  The MAIN reason I left WoW was because of the community.  Everyone always cried about everything, just look at thier class forums, everyone complains about everything.  In DAoC, the maturity level seems to be much higher, as well as the dedication to the game is top notch.

I personally cannot wait another second for the expansion.  Being that the new dungeon is placed under Agramond, it's sure to have tons of action there.  I'm not to fond of having the same class/race across all 3 realms, but that's more for it's uncertainty than anything else, since it's never been done in the game before.  I really hope to see you all at the Round Table in Sept.  I went a couple years ago and it was a blast and then some!

• TunangoTunango Member Posts: 79

I don't know much about this game but the short time i was playing it, i would never see anyone ,not sure what that means but it stopped me playing it.
    I like a strong community but i never saw anything to keep me playing it, it's no good playing a game just to get to the end game if the ride along the way is shit.
    It felt like a single player game.
    Flame away :)

• MastermartzMastermartz Member Posts: 255

Originally posted by grndzro
    Plz don't compare anything to WoW, There were only 47 ppl playing horde on my server last night.

I find that well...BULLCRAP