Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO has no future

2»

Comments

• evilhumanevilhuman Member UncommonPosts: 55

you all got a screw loose or something,

this game still has 100k subs, sure 70k of em are in japan but 30k NA/EU subs beats ALOT of games out there and 100k subs is $$ bling bling, doomed? yea right

look at Auto Assault... 11k subs

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Elnator

Originally posted by FadeusOriginally posted by ElnatorI have no idea what you're talking about with the 'cripple' guy but they also cancelled MPBT 3025.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with DAOC now that they have that title under their thumb.... (Not to mention WAR).
    Come on El, that was BEFORE EA had a real MMO title. Now that they have a real position in the MMO industry they are going to take it and their customers so much more seriously. *rolls his eyes after trying to say that with a straight face*
    Mythic will become another SOE in time now, just give it awhile.No... Mythic will become another Origin in time.... as in.... gone.  EA will give them plenty of rope then start making little changes that causes the noose to tighten ever so slowly.  Eventually they'll "decide" that since Mythic "can't handle" managing themselves that it's time to take 100% control.  At that point (actually slightly before then) expect DAOC to start suffering some rather radical changes (and probably WAR as well) that will eventually drive at least half the playerbase away and, in the case of DAOC, likely cause the game to be cancelled.Watch... just watch.

Na I don't agree actually. I think they are going to try to inflate Mythic and severly impose marketting into it. I think they will end up another SOE.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by evilhuman
    you all got a screw loose or somethingimage,
    this game still has 100k subs, sure 70k of em are in japan but 30k NA/EU subs beats ALOT of games out there and 100k subs is $$ bling bling, doomed? yea rightlook at Auto Assault... 11k subs image

EnB had over 30k subs when EA pulled the plug on it and that was an EA original MMO.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Fadeus

this game still has 100k subs, sure 70k of em are in japan but 30k NA/EU subs beats ALOT of games out there and 100k subs is $$ bling bling, doomed? yea right

EnB had over 30k subs when EA pulled the plug on it and that was an EA original MMO.

30k subs doesn't mean anything is safe, with EA.  Though I do agree, DAOC isn't in any danger yet.  But if the subs continue to drop (and they dropped by over 100k in the past year) then yeah... I see EA closing it down.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

30k subs doesn't mean anything is safe, with EA.  Though I do agree, DAOC isn't in any danger yet.  But if the subs continue to drop (and they dropped by over 100k in the past year) then yeah... I see EA closing it down.

right now it's 130k TOTAL subs, they still get the money even if majority are japanese players, still the NA/EU playerbase is bigger than 80% of the games out there

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

right now it's 130k TOTAL subs, they still get the money even if majority are japanese players, still the NA/EU playerbase is bigger than 80% of the games out there

actually the numbers are far higher due to free servers,some having higher population then the offical servers.

But i would love to see some capable company make a UO like game with modernized interface,graphics and such but keep the basic style of UO .I thought roma victor would be able to do so but seems we actually need someone capable and competent .

Wish EA would finally realise the potential here and let a actual UO2 come out .Can't be too hard they already got 2 version at least that we know of that are beta stage somewhere in a vault.UO2 and UOX.All they got to do is pick one and rebuild it on a modern engine.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by hercules

actually the numbers are far higher due to free servers,some having higher population then the offical servers.

But i would love to see some capable company make a UO like game with modernized interface,graphics and such but keep the basic style of UO .I thought roma victor would be able to do so but seems we actually need someone capable and competent .

Wish EA would finally realise the potential here and let a actual UO2 come out .Can't be too hard they already got 2 version at least that we know of that are beta stage somewhere in a vault.UO2 and UOX.All they got to do is pick one and rebuild it on a modern engine.

You guys forgot to change channels.  We were talking about DAOC, not UO.

Oh and the split between *UO*'s playerbase is more like 70k Asian and 65k Western.  Go read MMORPGCHART.COM.  That doesn't include the populations of the free shards, which easily account for another 100k+ people who play UO.  But, if we were arguing about EA shutting servers down:  Free player run shards don't influence whether the game is profitable thus will not influence EA's decision whether or not to shut the server down.  Only OFFICIAL server populations matter.

DAOC's playerbase is:  125k total  US and EU.  They don't have Asian Servers folks.  Also, we stated that 'right now' DAOC doesn't look like EA would shut it down.  But in the last year it's lost over 100k subscribers.  If they can't stop the hemorhage EA WILL shut the servers down.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Oh and the split between *UO*'s playerbase is more like 70k Asian and 65k Western.  Go read MMORPGCHART.COM.  That doesn't include the populations of the free shards, which easily account for another 100k+ people who play UO.  But, if we were arguing about EA shutting servers down:  Free player run shards don't influence whether the game is profitable thus will not influence EA's decision whether or not to shut the server down.  Only OFFICIAL server populations matter.

DAOC's playerbase is:  125k total  US and EU.  They don't have Asian Servers folks.  Also, we stated that 'right now' DAOC doesn't look like EA would shut it down.  But in the last year it's lost over 100k subscribers.  If they can't stop the hemorhage EA WILL shut the servers down.

Have no idea what you're on about... "Section: Ultima Online » Britannia Tavern » UO has no future"

How do you see that as a DAoC discussion?  

• Subgenius666Subgenius666 Member Posts: 55

I agree that with mythic now involved with EA something interesting just might happen with UO they very well be planning on releasing a new and improved version of UO in the future.. will it be anytime soon... most likely not.. but i know if they do get their act together i will be one of the first ones in line to play the new and improved UO

in all new games and i mean all .. it makes no since to not be able to loot, defile and behead the corpse of your enemy you have just killed... and where has mounted combat gone??
  • ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    Yes, we are definitely on the up in the moment. I do believe it has a future. People kept saying UO has no future for the last 9 years. ^^

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

• TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63
    Well, well, well. Look, it's another doomsday MMO player. Thanks, buddy. Oh wait, what do we have here, JUST after our good friend just stated that "UO has no future". Surprise! A huge revamp and remaker. You were wrong, Jkun. You lose! Good day, Sir!
  • docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    mh, this discussion reminds me somehow of SWG NGE vs CU vs pre-CU vs a SWG2.....

i agree the graphics are outdated, nevertheless it seems interesting - i just started playing it again, i didn't care for it a year ago for some reason, now though it seems fun - tons of stuff to do, at least as a newbie... but then, 3 hours ain't much into an mmo.
    the crafting though i don't know, looks okay, but the mining e.g. takes ages, that steals the fun somehow.

for vets i am sure this game must be dissapointing after such a long time, but for a newb (well, UO newb, not ultima per se... lol, i used to play U2-U8 in "my days") it seems fascinating what they have done with it over the years (i can't say if it was better or worse before .....). they announced some refreshing updating for next year, maybe that will give it a "new spring"?

imageimage

• PoemasterPoemaster Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

The other day i was like "hay, i miss Ultima 7",
    so i tryed this....

It was a mistake, I log in, went on my first quest...and could not find where
    to go because apparently the entire world if covered by player housing... I
    must have gone into about 20 houses looking for that dam quest NPC, only to finally
    realized this wasn’t the town i was looking for.... it was just a bunch of
    player housing owned by such players as "Lord Skeedoo", and
    "Miss flufflyblue".

The true NPC town was 2 shoddy buildings just in the center of this massive
    town smack dab in noobvile.

I did not finish the quest, i unsubed after about an hour, maybe 45 min.

Yea well no offense but if you cant tell the difference between a player owned house and an NPC building I dont want you playing my game. you the kind of guy that starts trying to party and talk to NPCs when you join an MMO??
    also considering you didnt even put the effort in to finish a single quest kinda makes me think your opinion isnt worth Sh*t

• Originally posted by Tryken
    Well, well, well. Look, it's another doomsday MMO player.
    Thanks, buddy. Oh wait, what do we have here, JUST after our good
    friend just stated that "UO has no future". Surprise! A huge revamp and
    remaker. You were wrong, Jkun. You lose! Good day, Sir!

They've announced a new graphics engine and I lose? I still think I have a pretty solid point, but thanks for trying.

• LaneoLaneo Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Jkun

Originally posted by Tryken

They've announced a new graphics engine and I lose? I still think I have a pretty solid point, but thanks for trying.

Ok, maybe noone made it clear to you TROLL...You obviously dont know much about UO (Which is the only MMO in the Guiness Book of World records) Thats right..The greatest game will be back in 2007..bigger and better.

Now..Wipe that "L" off your forhead and back to Carebear land with you!

What? Shhh...We dont want to hear anymore. Anything else coming from you will be a wasted postcount.

Nobody is perfect...My name is Nobody

• Originally posted by Laneo

Originally posted by Jkun

Originally posted by Tryken

Ok, maybe noone made it clear to you TROLL...You obviously dont know much about UO (Which is the only MMO in the Guiness Book of World records) Thats right..The greatest game will be back in 2007..bigger and better.

Now..Wipe that "L" off your forhead and back to Carebear land with you!

What? Shhh...We dont want to hear anymore. Anything else coming from you will be a wasted postcount.

While I envy your blind devotion to a game I too once enjoyed, I think you need to come to grips with reality. :S
  • StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

The other day i was like "hay, i miss Ultima 7", so i tryed this....

It was a mistake, I log in, went on my first quest...and could not find where to go because apparently the entire world if covered by player housing... I must have gone into about 20 houses looking for that dam quest NPC, only to finally realized this wasn’t the town i was looking for.... it was just a bunch of player housing owned by such players as "Lord Skeedoo", and "Miss flufflyblue".

The true NPC town was 2 shoddy buildings just in the center of this massive town smack dab in noobvile.

I did not finish the quest, i unsubed after about an hour, maybe 45 min.

player housing was a lot of fun when UO was first released.  However, they didn't not plan for the growth of the game and houses took over the land.  In the beginning the game was so much fun, it's just times have changed and gamers expect more.  Gratz to UO for setting the bar though.  Not recommended for people who want to get invovled at this point.  Most ppl continue to play simply because they have way to much loot and don't want all that time to go to waste.  Just not a demand on Ebay for UO accounts like back in the day.  In my day I owned a tower, 2 story (original) and small house.  There was actually enough land to do that and it allowed you to own as many as you wanted.  It killed me to give up that account

For those wanting a UO twist in the new age of MMORPGs check out Vanguard it seems to be the closest out of the games in development. 

• I don't think Vanguard's going to manage to land far enough away from Everquest, myself. I'd recommend keeping an eye on Darkfall if you want a true UO sequel. Not 100% positive it's ever going to be released, though, honestly. 

• silverbearsilverbear Member Posts: 9

player housing was a lot of fun when UO was first released. However, they didn't not plan for the growth of the game and houses took over the land. In the beginning the game was so much fun, it's just times have changed and gamers expect more.

Wrong answer do you even know anything about the game there is 2 additional maps that have been added one with no housing at all and one with very little housing Tukuno and Illshenar UO now probaly has more dungeons and specail interest spots than any mmorpg I have checked out yes I agree they need a graphics change but I been playing for 9 years and I have checked out all your so called next generation mmorpg's and I wish I never spent the money on 99% of them.