Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you France!

Comments

• honzolohonzolo Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by britoca

France ups Lebanon force pledge ::::08::

So stupid. Anyone who sends troops there is just asking to have their troops attacked. I figured France was smart enough not to do that, especially after they balked at sending the numbers they said they would originally. Let the IDF and Hezbollah finish it themselves. Putting soldiers from other countries in between is asking for disaster. Oh well... as long as we're not sending our troops there.

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    I say after we nuke the whales we nuke france.  

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    Ah, the crisis expected because of a sous chef shortage will now be averted.

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

It's about time. Those guys acted like they really wanted to help settle all this, then after the cease fire they came out and say "Yeah, we'll send uh, like two guys." Of course, not sure how much good they'll be. It seems to me  like the French are in bed with Iran and Syria anyway.

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484

Originally posted by qotsa

It's about time. Those guys acted like they really wanted to help settle all this, then after the cease fire they came out and say "Yeah, we'll send uh, like two guys." Of course, not sure how much good they'll be. It seems to me like the French are in bed with Iran and Syria anyway.

true, if they made so much noise about, might as well set the example.

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

It's about time. Those guys acted like they really wanted to help settle all this, then after the cease fire they came out and say "Yeah, we'll send uh, like two guys." Of course, not sure how much good they'll be. It seems to me like the French are in bed with Iran and Syria anyway.

The French have some very legitimate concerns that this is not being designed as a 'peacekeeping' operation where a neutral party separates former combatants, but a 'pacifying' operation where a bunch of dupes are going to be asked to disarm Hezbollah on behalf of the Israelis and Americans. The former mission they're happy to participate in, the latter they want nothing to do with.

Originally posted by KzinKiller

The French have some very legitimate concerns that this is not being designed as a 'peacekeeping' operation where a neutral party separates former combatants, but a 'pacifying' operation where a bunch of dupes are going to be asked to disarm Hezbollah on behalf of the Israelis and Americans. The former mission they're happy to participate in, the latter they want nothing to do with.

Those were the conditions for the Israelis to agree to the ridiculous ceasefire. The former UN resolution (pardon me that I don't recall the worthless resolution number) called for the disarming of Hezbollah in return for Israel to leave Lebanon. The Israelis did and Hezbollah just took up the positions that the Israelis left so that they could start attacking Israel again anyhow. Now the Israelis drive them back and ask that they be disarmed by all the people who wanted a ceasefire at any cost. They won't disarm them, any troops sent there will be targets with no clear mission. Hezbollah will attack Israel again, these troops will be caught in the middle, and Israel will have to move against Hezbollah again. Sending troops into the middle of a warzone to stand there is stupid. Don't send soldiers in unless you want them to do their job, kill people and break things.

Originally posted by honzolo
    Those were the conditions for the Israelis to agree to the ridiculous ceasefire. The former UN resolution (pardon me that I don't recall the worthless resolution number) called for the disarming of Hezbollah in return for Israel to leave Lebanon. The Israelis did and Hezbollah just took up the positions that the Israelis left so that they could start attacking Israel again anyhow. Now the Israelis drive them back and ask that they be disarmed by all the people who wanted a ceasefire at any cost. They won't disarm them, any troops sent there will be targets with no clear mission. Hezbollah will attack Israel again, these troops will be caught in the middle, and Israel will have to move against Hezbollah again. Sending troops into the middle of a warzone to stand there is stupid. Don't send soldiers in unless you want them to do their job, kill people and break things.

That's the essence of peacekeeping forces ... they should never be sent into a war zone to decide a winner. At that point they stop being peacekeeping forces. Even if the French were foolish enough to accept a mission to disarm Hezbollah, pack every Party of God leader into a plane and ship them to Elba, that would have no impact whatsoever on whether Hezbollah attacks Israel again in 1 or 5 or 10 years. You have to remove the sources of conflict to get that result. In a world full of guns, taking a few guns away from people accomplishes nothing.

But, the Israelis invaded Lebanon before and still decided to do it again after accomplishing nothing last time, so face-saving PR exercises to get a meaningless "win" are probably something their government is perfectly comfortable with. Most governments are.

Anyway, the Israelis are the last ones in the world to complain that another country is ignoring UN resolutions .... if we zealously enforced them all in chronological order of being passed by the Security Council, Israel would nuke U.N. headquarters in New York before you could finish saying "matzoh ball".

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860
    didn't france only send more troops because italy sent like 3000 and they felt like they should be in control of the situation and sent like 2000 more?

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

f u france

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860
    FREEDOM FRIES!!!  take that france!

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

The rest of the world needs to get over this insane jealousy of France, just because she reads their news, and not ours ..... 

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by KzinKiller

The rest of the world needs to get over this insane jealousy of France, just because she reads their news, and not ours ..... 

lol actually i think france is a really cool place i think i might go there some time soon
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Those were the conditions for the Israelis to agree to the ridiculous ceasefire. The former UN resolution (pardon me that I don't recall the worthless resolution number) called for the disarming of Hezbollah in return for Israel to leave Lebanon.

Bit of a double edged sword really as Isreal leaving Lebanon, also agreed in another useless former UN resolution was a Hesbollah condition for the same ceasefire. So France and co. not only have to disarm Hesbollah, but evict Israel.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

France is useless.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Does this mean we can blame France when things get even worse there?

Oh who am I kidding, no matter what happens there some how the U.S. will get blamed for it.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

<<
    That's the essence of peacekeeping forces ... they should never be sent into a war zone to decide a winner. At that point they stop being peacekeeping forces. Even if the French were foolish enough to accept a mission to disarm Hezbollah, pack every Party of God leader into a plane and ship them to Elba, that would have no impact whatsoever on whether Hezbollah attacks Israel again in 1 or 5 or 10 years. You have to remove the sources of conflict to get that result. In a world full of guns, taking a few guns away from people accomplishes nothing.

>>

Exactly, thats why it needs to be left to the IDF and Hezbollah to finish this themselves.

Originally posted by baff

Those were the conditions for the Israelis to agree to the ridiculous ceasefire. The former UN resolution (pardon me that I don't recall the worthless resolution number) called for the disarming of Hezbollah in return for Israel to leave Lebanon.

Bit of a double edged sword really as Isreal leaving Lebanon, also agreed in another useless former UN resolution was a Hesbollah condition for the same ceasefire. So France and co. not only have to disarm Hesbollah, but evict Israel.

Which was the point... its not going to happen. Good luck with that...LOL
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457
    I think I read that they aren't going to do any disarmament or evictions, but instead are just going to stand in the middle and shoot back at anyone who shoots at them.
  • EmyrnEmyrn Member UncommonPosts: 149

Yay for France stepping up considering they helped make the resolution in the first place. 200 troops for helping bring about a resolution of peace is not much a sign of faith in that peace. Props to France for upping the troops (I didn't know France had that many soldiers)

However, I doubt this peace will last long as history shows otherwise. Someone invades/does something to Israel - Israel responds and usually kicks their butt big time - Israel concedes gained land for peace/promise/whatever - Someone else attacks Israel - Cycle repeats itself several times - First group to attack Israel attacks again and cycle repeats. hezballoh crisis resolved for moment. next it will be Iran or Syria and then Hezballoh again and over and over until doomsday.

Now if America were to pledge troops the truce would surely end in about a day. maybe less as everyone comes to bomb the US troops.

Originally posted by baff
    I think I read that they aren't going to do any disarmament or evictions, but instead are just going to stand in the middle and shoot back at anyone who shoots at them.

Precisely why this is a BAD idea. It will accomplish nothing except get some foreign forces killed/injured.
  • bas1889bas1889 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    i vote we move the israelis to france. mid east will be happy, israel will have a homeland, french wont fight back.
  • KidWickedKidWicked Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by britoca

France ups Lebanon force pledge ::::08::

france is a useless country
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

sounds like vietnam all over again.

Everytime France goes into somewhere, a war breaks out right after their retreat

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by bas1889i vote we move the israelis to france. mid east will be happy, israel will have a homeland, french wont fight back.

I support this idea, except I endorse Florida, not France .... already set up for a large Jewish population, and nobody would miss it. Give up Florida, make Puerto Rico a state, keep the existing flag.