Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just wondering.

13»

Comments

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by Rekrul

Originally posted by jrscott

Originally posted by grinreaper

2. Start a new catagory under these boards called NGE only or some such...then any discussion of the old game would be 'off topic'

I move for a category called "Max's Place".  Only maxanto can post there.

It would be interesting to see how many posts NGE only board would get.

Don't other SWG boards here get 1 post a week?

Actually, I think they'd revert to complaining about everything that is wrong about the NGE.
  • RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by maxanto
    My point is this forum is made for SWg discussion as the moderators and admins of this forum have stated time and time again. Unfortunatly what I think they need to do is split this forum. Have one section for NGE discussion and one for PRE-NGE discussion, cause honestly talk about the old game that no longer exists overwrites the new discussion and all the people get when they want to discuss the new game isflaming replies from a large number of people.

Maybe I will submit that idea to the mods here to clean up this forum. Personally I dont have a problem with remembering the old fun stuff, but at the same time I dont think people have the right to ruin this expeience for people who like the new game.

I see, so discussing features that are being brought back into the NGE in a 1/2 backed way isn't game discussion?  Comparing the NGE evolution to preCU both for critical and historical reasons isn't game discussion?

Actually your whole response to this thread has nothing to do with game discussion.  This is an open forum and the title of the forum is "General Discusion", so I do not really understand where you get that it is limited "game discussion"....

Again, we have somone not an owner nor admin of the board telling us the purpose of the board.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Rekrul

Originally posted by jrscott

Originally posted by grinreaper

2. Start a new catagory under these boards called NGE only or some such...then any discussion of the old game would be 'off topic'

I move for a category called "Max's Place".  Only maxanto can post there.

It would be interesting to see how many posts NGE only board would get.

Don't other SWG boards here get 1 post a week?

Better yet.. try Monkey's forums.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

And a plug for my new favorite game Eve. The only real SCI/FI sandbox game left in the world!If you liked Jump to Light Speed stuff you will love Eve-Online! Great crafting, Great PvP, Great Economy! Eve-Online FTW!!!

Ignoring most of the rest of the post as flame baiting.

This however deserves a response.  I liked JTL. I dislike EVE.  Combat in EVE, at least as far as I got, wasn't very exciting compared to JTL.  No Avatar to connect with, unless you consider a portrait an avatar.  Possibly crafting would be fun, I didn't try that.  The skill training system was a new idea, but severly handicaps those that would like to progress faster.

Therefore not everyone that liked JTL will like EVE.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I stopped playing SWG on November 15, 2005.  I cancelled that day and my yearly account just ran out on July 27, 2006.

I come here to flame SWG and to see News of a rollback, shut down, dev's quitting, or massive firings.  So I come here for news too...

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• FreelancerA4FreelancerA4 Member Posts: 145

Originally posted by KenshuAni

And a plug for my new favorite game Eve. The only real SCI/FI sandbox game left in the world!If you liked Jump to Light Speed stuff you will love Eve-Online! Great crafting, Great PvP, Great Economy! Eve-Online FTW!!!

This however deserves a response.  I liked JTL. I dislike EVE.  Combat in EVE, at least as far as I got, wasn't very exciting compared to JTL.  No Avatar to connect with, unless you consider a portrait an avatar.  Possibly crafting would be fun, I didn't try that.  The skill training system was a new idea, but severly handicaps those that would like to progress faster.

I agree that EVE isn't for everyone, including myself, and I loved JTL. I'm a big space-sim jockey, and I wasn't a huge fan of EVE. What I did like about it was the size of the game. What I didn't like was pretty much everything else. The fact that you couldn't land and walk around space stations or planets was my main beef with the game. Another would be that combat wasn't that enticing until you got into the big leagues. The rest of the game was an economic simulator in space. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, but its not for everyone. I played Earth and Beyond and SWG before I tried a trial for EVE, and I just couldn't get into it. Looking back I wish I had spent more time in EnB and SWG before the former was shut down and the latter...well, I think we all know what happened there. 

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by Bissrok
    Every time I see someone telling me to give up hope (because SOE said that the NGE is here to stay), I just remember that they said the same thing about the CU. From what I've seen, they've got about 80k subscribers, max. Their games are dying and their parent company's losing money. Give up? We're wining.

We'll be talking about this long after the game dies, the emu goes up and the market moves on. This will be part of MMO history.

What are you winning by ruining this board for actual current game discussion? Do you think SOE gives a rats ass about this site? Do you think for a moment that the majority of community members agree with the vocal minority here?

You are doing nothing but ruining this board. If you want to stick it to the man take it to their website. This is not the proper place for all this BS. I dont blame anyone for how they feel, but I do think you are all going about this wrong. Take it to SOE, e-mail them, send letters, call consumer reports, talk to your congressman... but leave this site for wots its meant for, game discussion.

Whining here is not winning, its proving you lost because you have no other recourse.

Do you know how many people we've stopped from resubbing? I've resubbed once since the CU hit. It could easily have been three or four times if I didn't listen to the people on here. This is a constant reminder to everyone who wants to go back that, no, the game is not fixed. And what about all the people who want to try the game out? The casual player who stumbles across this section and sees the pages and pages of hate directed toward this game?

I don't expect SOE to care about this site. They don't care about their own site. But the forums have always been a powerful tool for an online game. And word of mouth is everything.

Originally posted by Fadeus
    And actually JTL can't be changed to be more like the NGE because it was already the NGE. If you sit and study the NGE well you will see every aspect of JTL in it. They actually put JTL into ground combat for the NGE, and the content for both is equally bad. JTL is what started loot in SWG, something everyone fails to see for some reason when they all dove head first into JTL giving so much approval on it, just paving the way for the NGE. Then when they give the same experience on the ground everyone is shocked.
    Rage of the Wookies was another example, everyone dove head first into it which I said would be the end of new open planets and the beginning of all theme park planets and it was. I said it went against the grain of SWG from the beginning.
    Sorry but saying that JTL was somehow superior to the NGE is really beyond me. I don't understand how you can even begin to say that. It is all about uber loot, twitch style combat, and really badly written plotlines to send you into an endless killing treadmill to get to the "top level" in a linear progression system leaving no choice for diversity.

I understand what you are saying and in a way I agree with it.  However, there is one fundamental difference.

JTL when it launched offered another option for how you spent your play time.  If you wanted a twitch game, you could go to space, at the same time if you tired of twitch you could land.  I would frequently spend a week exclusively playing one or the other.

The NGE changed that by removing one choice of combat.  This is what the NGE was mostly known for, removing options.  They initially removed all options of chosing skills, they removed entire professions (skill lines), etc.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    What was the exact date that the NGE went live?  Just curious....TIA

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778

Right cause playing a good fun entertaining well writen game like eve would remove some ability to whine in this forum about how evil etc, SOE is. Kinda glad you didn't like it.... it is a mature crowd that plays so you probably felt out of place.
  • rollnstnsrollnstns Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Shayde
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

HELL NO

And it's not over now.

QFE!!!

Keep Rolling Shayde/Bluto!

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by rollnstns

Originally posted by Shayde
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

HELL NO

And it's not over now.

QFE!!!

Keep Rolling Shayde/Bluto!

When the goin gets tough....

The tough gets goin!

Who's with me now?

AAAAARRRRRRYYYYYYAAAAYYYY.......

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Right cause playing a good fun entertaining well writen game like eve would remove some ability to whine in this forum about how evil etc, SOE is. Kinda glad you didn't like it.... it is a mature crowd that plays so you probably felt out of place.

After watching the fan-made material, my impression of EvE was it's a griefer's paradise.

Bounties, kill videos, TS raging, jump point camping, ganks, stalkers, and similar.

I might have been unlucky in the choice, but all the webrings revolved around that. The most active communities revolve around bounty guilds that compete in most damage dealt.

I never once saw a different story of any kind.

And forum whines consists exclusively of lost property, ganks, inability to change attributes, slow progression, boring travel and similar.

It's just a game, like any other. But just like pre-cu, it's all in the eye of the beholder. If you get into it, you no longer mind the finer details.
  • FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

This however deserves a response. I liked JTL. I dislike EVE. Combat in EVE, at least as far as I got, wasn't very exciting compared to JTL. No Avatar to connect with, unless you consider a portrait an avatar. Possibly crafting would be fun, I didn't try that. The skill training system was a new idea, but severly handicaps those that would like to progress faster.

So actually your only purpose here is to whine, bitch and flame individuals. At least we have a game to complain about.

I was stating that your assumption of "if you like JTL stuff, you'll love EVE online" was false.  I personally did not find EVE to be fun, that was an opinion.  I did not say that you weren't allowed your opinion.

You are the one that acted like a child and pouted when I stated that EVE was not to my liking.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Fadeus
    And actually JTL can't be changed to be more like the NGE because it was already the NGE. If you sit and study the NGE well you will see every aspect of JTL in it. They actually put JTL into ground combat for the NGE, and the content for both is equally bad. JTL is what started loot in SWG, something everyone fails to see for some reason when they all dove head first into JTL giving so much approval on it, just paving the way for the NGE. Then when they give the same experience on the ground everyone is shocked.
    Rage of the Wookies was another example, everyone dove head first into it which I said would be the end of new open planets and the beginning of all theme park planets and it was. I said it went against the grain of SWG from the beginning.
    Sorry but saying that JTL was somehow superior to the NGE is really beyond me. I don't understand how you can even begin to say that. It is all about uber loot, twitch style combat, and really badly written plotlines to send you into an endless killing treadmill to get to the "top level" in a linear progression system leaving no choice for diversity.
    I understand what you are saying and in a way I agree with it.  However, there is one fundamental difference.
    JTL when it launched offered another option for how you spent your play time.  If you wanted a twitch game, you could go to space, at the same time if you tired of twitch you could land.  I would frequently spend a week exclusively playing one or the other.
    The NGE changed that by removing one choice of combat.  This is what the NGE was mostly known for, removing options.  They initially removed all options of chosing skills, they removed entire professions (skill lines), etc.

I expanded on that in a later post which you probably already read after posting this.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

I played as recently as a few days ago to help a friend kill something solo on Musti. I logged onto his toon, since I no longer Sub & I can't bring myself to uninstall the game. The funny thing is, my playing friends still consider me the best player / PVP'er they know, and I can't stand the play. I play a LOT of CoD 2, that's probably why (BTW, best CoD2 match for me ever was S&D 15 v 15, I went 69 / 2, 5 plants with 3 points a plant... all with a BA... come get some :oP).

As far as my account, I went back for a bit, 2 months to play with an old friend who just came home after a bad health battle. He REALLY wanted me to play, and well, since I never thought I'd see him again, I was happy to. I tried to have fun, but it's just boring, so I quit again. He still plays, and it's sad for me to watch... he crafts things that no one buys, because he loves the crafting game.

I did check out the Expertise system on my friends account, and thought it was horrible. I also watch my Fiancee play her Ent. She's a RP'er, and is a member of a band. She enjoys that part of the game still, and I'm happy for her and her friends. They seem like good people who still find fun in the game, although more & more are leaving, and they keep talking about other games coming.

For me, Jedi being a Starter Class is what kills me, and the lack of professions. As far as Jedi, I felt it should have never been in the game, but since it was added it should have been a non-grind unlock, never an Alpha & been it's own game within the game. Jedi should have been forced to hide & RP. They cold have made Sabers in the hand invisible, and appear when in combat. They should have removed all robes. Jedi should have created clear Jedi Factions and let them fight their own war, with harsh penalties for show-offs. And they should have NEVER been Alpha, just different. A game within a game, just like their small story within a war.

IF they made Jedi an Unlock again, added Sentinal & Ranger Classes, made Crafting & Ent skills divided again & secondary professions, AND cranked back up the difficulty (no one should be able to solo a 50 ton Dragon) I would consider playing again...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• royalpenaltyroyalpenalty Member Posts: 312

My point is this forum is made for SWg discussion as the moderators and admins of this forum have stated time and time again. Unfortunatly what I think they need to do is split this forum. Have one section for NGE discussion and one for PRE-NGE discussion, cause honestly talk about the old game that no longer exists overwrites the new discussion and all the people get when they want to discuss the new game isflaming replies from a large number of people.

Maybe I will submit that idea to the mods here to clean up this forum. Personally I dont have a problem with remembering the old fun stuff, but at the same time I dont think people have the right to ruin this expeience for people who like the new game.

What does that tell you?  the official forums are the same way!!!   i guess we're all waiting for the producers to realize this too. 

and honestly, anyone who has their "experience ruined" by what i say here is a moron.

SWG ADDICT...clean since the NGE

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Originally posted by royalpenalty

What does that tell you?  the official forums are the same way!!!   i guess we're all waiting for the producers to realize this too. 

and honestly, anyone who has their "experience ruined" by what i say here is a moron.

I think we all post quiet a bit on upcoming patch, rumors, additions, subtractions, bugs, gameplay issues, moderator issues, dev issues, etc. on this very forum relating directly to current gameplay.  We also post comparisons to the old game, information on "duck" developments, and pre-cu opinions editorials and perspectives that quiet frankly are not allowed on the suckboards.

The "experience" on these boards is a "General Discussion" of star wars galaxies.  You want to change the defination as the devs did to "Gameplay Discussion" why not simply go to the section in these forum for ingame converstations.  I think this board has some contributors that answer ingame questions here.  Obriak for one just answered a question on instant travel.  The further topic of discussion is probably related to how cheap and devaluing of the travel system that skill is, how it negatively affects gameplay and community interaction and how it was given out as part of a cheap marketing ploy to sell some crap box so you could fly without any consquences any where at any given time.

That is honest.  You want what amounts to a safe place to discuss topics relating to star wars galaxies where opinions and facts dont hamper your NGE discussions with those of us who support things taken out of the game.

Trolling and flaming isn't allowed so what you want is to silence the critics of the nge and the direction the game has gone.  You're objection seems to be we are the majority and flooding threads with our assessment of current topics which apparently isn't positive to the NGE.  Hrm, so vocal critics of a contreversial decision to do a wide sweeping change to a game has a strong opposition and you want to silence us by pushing us out of the general discussion thread and put us into a pre-cu thread and delete/moderator us in the general discussion area?

Sounds like an awesome idea where do I sign up for the SOE Nazi Party? 

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Normally in thread like this I would post a picture of David Hasselhof looking handsome in a speedo with a catchy slogan such as "thank you for another gay thread" but today I think I will actually throw out a few words in reply...

The discussions in this forum represent the attitudes of the people who play/played the game. The reasons for those attitudes are a direct result of the manner in which SOE/LA has handled the running of SWG.

Instead of trying to be a moderator without authority for the discussion board, read and reply to what the other people are actually interested in discussing.

Former SWG beta tester and player