Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returned to EVE

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
Yup, I'm back again.

Lifestyle change around the house :)  EVE is a perfect fit now so I'm back.  Enjoying it more than last time too.  Probably because I have stuff i'm doing during the travel/mining downtimes.  Before I was just sitting at the PC but now I have a ton of stuff going on so it's nice that I can start the game doing something and be able to walk away.

Anyway... I heard a rumor about EVE having a PDA client available.  However the site is pretty unuseable today since they have everything down for the patch that's going in.  Anyone have any details on that?

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Elnator
    Yup, I'm back again.

Lifestyle change around the house :)  EVE is a perfect fit now so I'm back.  Enjoying it more than last time too.  Probably because I have stuff i'm doing during the travel/mining downtimes.  Before I was just sitting at the PC but now I have a ton of stuff going on so it's nice that I can start the game doing something and be able to walk away.

Anyway... I heard a rumor about EVE having a PDA client available.  However the site is pretty unuseable today since they have everything down for the patch that's going in.  Anyone have any details on that?

Welcome back and yes they have a mobile client under developement that will allow players to chat, update skills and browse the market while sitting in station.
  • ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Yes - they have plans to develope a new PocketPC client for EvE. This client would allow you to read mails, browse markets, manage skills and things like that. However, you wouldn't be able to fight or fly around with this client. This new client has been mentioned couple times in developer blogs.

Most likely servers are going to be down entire day and there is going to be lot's of technical problems during this week and next week after patch.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Resetgun

Yes - they have plans to develope a new PocketPC client for EvE. This client would allow you to read mails, browse markets, manage skills and things like that. However, you wouldn't be able to fight or fly around with this client. This new client has been mentioned couple times in developer blogs.
    Most likely servers are going to be down entire day and there is going to be lot's of technical problems during this week and next week after patch.

Yeah I know all about patch day woes.  And with them changing the supported Operating Systems base I'm suspecting this one is gonna be uglier than usual.  I set a 3 day skill training last night before I logged out just to be on the safe side ;)  It'll be nice to have learning at 5 ;)

They have any ETA on the PocketPC client?  Or is that just 'pie in the sky' till after Kali?

Sig image Pending

• eowetheoweth Member Posts: 273

The PocketPC client is under development by some students, with assistance from CCP. There's no release date, and not even a "Q3 3025" type estimate at this time. It's mostly a "We'd like to do this, and someone's going for it" stage right now.

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

The PDA client, a.k.a EVE Lite, is being actively developed right now at CCP. They had a demo of it at E3 this year, but unfortunately, it didn't get as much attention by the press as their Kali demo did, so there aren't really any more details other than what is posted here.

The only things I can add is that it will require Windows Mobile 5 and a stylus input, so it won't work on Smartphones unfortunately :( The other thing is once EVE Lite is released, CCP has said that they are considering opening the APIs for development, so you may end up seeing third party programs that can interact with the server, hopefully on multiple platforms.

EVE Lite is scheduled to be released early(ish) 2007, probably coinciding with Kali-3.

I would link the Dev Blog but the site is down for the Dragon deployment :D

//insert sig here

Originally posted by Nu11u5

The PDA client, a.k.a EVE Lite, is being actively developed right now at CCP. They had a demo of it at E3 this year, but unfortunately, it didn't get as much attention by the press as their Kali demo did, so there aren't really any more details other than what is posted here.
    The only things I can add is that it will require Windows Mobile 5 and a stylus input, so it won't work on Smartphones unfortunately :( The other thing is once EVE Lite is released, CCP has said that they are considering opening the APIs for development, so you may end up seeing third party programs that can interact with the server, hopefully on multiple platforms.
    EVE Lite is scheduled to be released early(ish) 2007, probably coinciding with Kali-3.
    I would link the Dev Blog but the site is down for the Dragon deployment :D

Thanks Nu11u5!  As I am a PPC6700 user (WM5 PDA Phone) it will be awesome to have this tool, especially when I'm on travel and unable to get to the game to update training skills.  It's one of the features I'd heard rumors about that brought me back to the game.

I wonder if they have a beta for it going :)

Sig image Pending

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

No, no beta yet. I wouldn't think there will be one either until the last month or so if at all. If and when it does come along, it will only be on the test server Sisi or another development server, since EVE Lite will require new code server-side to support the new APIs.

//insert sig here
  • ssstupidossstupido Member Posts: 253

Yup, I'm back again.

well, i dont know for how long you played the last time, but this post and another one on another thread makes me think that you have started a new character. i guess you know that your old character is still alive and that you could have just re-opened your account.

the only reason i see is that you wanted to use a 14 day trial again.

anyway, welcome back. i hope this time you stay longer

Originally posted by ssstupido

Yup, I'm back again.

well, i dont know for how long you played the last time, but this post and another one on another thread makes me think that you have started a new character. i guess you know that your old character is still alive and that you could have just re-opened your account.

the only reason i see is that you wanted to use a 14 day trial again.

anyway, welcome back. i hope this time you stay longer

Err try not to read to much into things.  I played a 14 day trial for the past two weeks while I decided if I was really enjoying EVE enough to come back.  I decided I was so I resubbed Last night.  My timing sucks though because today the game is down :)

LOL

Sig image Pending

• bottlebottle Member Posts: 1
    I wish I had done what you did. I have an account I planned switching skills on but the server was down this afternoon. Now he's sat 10 hours with no skill training.

Going to give him a nice long one to work on when I get home from work.