Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO And Mythic Teaming UP????

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Blatantly stolen from the DAOC forum:

Ultima Online and Mythic Teaming Up

These are exciting days for MMORPG fans here at EA.
With the acquisition of Mythic, the UO team will be working with the
creative folks who brought us Dark Age of Camelot and are hard at work
on the spectacular-looking Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I’m
thrilled that the UO team and Mythic will work together to forge
Britannia’s future.

There is much to talk about with our new
partners, and it will take some time to review and finalize our plans.
Because we need to take that time, we are postponing the announcement
that we were going to make this week. The in-game fiction cycle will
take a break for a bit and will return soon.

See you in Britannia,
Darkscribe

Taken from uo.com.  Wonder if they will scrap daoc too because it will compete with uo lol.

Could it be that UO is about to get a graphical revamp of epic proportions?  Mythic has done an amazing job at keeping the graphics in DAOC relatively current....

Or could we actually be seeing Mythic helping revive the UO2 project?  I dunno... but people of the caliber of Mythic working to enhance UO is certainly an exciting thing to think about.

I hate EA and I blame them for much of UO's problems.... And I will be honest in that I'm not thrilled that they bought out Mythic (HUGE mythic fan) but if Mythic manages to revitalize, improve or build a worthy sequel to UO as a result I will forgive all past sins!

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• grapegrape Member Posts: 191
    Seems like they are going to can the UO team and make Mythic work 12 hour work days 7 days a week to support another project.

lol

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by grape
    Seems like they are going to can the UO team and make Mythic work 12 hour work days 7 days a week to support another project.

lol

Who knows with EA :)
    One can only hope for the best but expect the worst with them.

Sig image Pending

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Elnator
    Blatantly stolen from the DAOC forum:

Ultima Online and Mythic Teaming Up
    These are exciting days for MMORPG fans here at EA. With the acquisition of Mythic, the UO team will be working with the creative folks who brought us Dark Age of Camelot and are hard at work on the spectacular-looking Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I’m thrilled that the UO team and Mythic will work together to forge Britannia’s future.

There is much to talk about with our new partners, and it will take some time to review and finalize our plans. Because we need to take that time, we are postponing the announcement that we were going to make this week. The in-game fiction cycle will take a break for a bit and will return soon.

See you in Britannia,
    Darkscribe
    Taken from uo.com.  Wonder if they will scrap daoc too because it will compete with uo lol.

Could it be that UO is about to get a graphical revamp of epic proportions?  Mythic has done an amazing job at keeping the graphics in DAOC relatively current....

Or could we actually be seeing Mythic helping revive the UO2 project?  I dunno... but people of the caliber of Mythic working to enhance UO is certainly an exciting thing to think about.

I hate EA and I blame them for much of UO's problems.... And I will be honest in that I'm not thrilled that they bought out Mythic (HUGE mythic fan) but if Mythic manages to revitalize, improve or build a worthy sequel to UO as a result I will forgive all past sins!

I have to admit that I was not happy to hear about EA buying Mythic and I feel that it will result in a watered down WAR.   However if Mythic does do a graphic revamp on UO plus add to the game,  or maybe even revive the UO 2 project, then maybe something good will come out of this.  This might possibly be bad for WAR but good for UO in my opinion.
  • LokeranLokeran Member Posts: 4
    Let's hope that this is an indication that EA will wake up and give one the best MMO's a long over due sequel. 

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196
    this'll be good...all UO needs is a graphic upgrade.

• FlywheelFlywheel Member Posts: 60
    I am not sure that the over-inflated UO economy will be a problem for
    too long. News has it that 15 trillion in gold has been removed from
    the game. Someone won't be too pleased when they log in lol.

Having just returned to UO I can honestly say that prices dont seem
    inflated on my shard (Europa) and many items are cheaper than ever to
    buy. Its even possible to find a nice spot or two for housing.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

HA screw UO-- Im hoping that UO guys give the Mythic Guys some good pvp input for WARHAMMER and that EA doesnt get in the way of there creativity!!

• tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

Originally posted by Flywheel
    Having just returned to UO I can honestly say that prices dont seem
    inflated on my shard (Europa) and many items are cheaper than ever to
    buy. Its even possible to find a nice spot or two for housing.

This shouldn't surprise you as nobody wants or has use for the crappy armor and weapons. The top items like the "uberpwnorzswordofdoomdon'tlookofdie" will cost you miiilliiioooons of gold. On the other hand, a lot of the high prices affect more to the "rarities" and collection artifacts, which are more like an ingame luxury to have.

• ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    I actually think this will be good for UO. Seems like a lot of movement going on in the moment and I really can't wait what the big news from the Inu Quest will be :)

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

• JesterDevJesterDev Member Posts: 44

To be honest, I really don't know if it's a good thing, or a bad thing. Knowing EA however it's all bad. UO was at one point a really great game. I can understand (and like) that over time they added more content. But they should have listened to the players first and foremost. But enough of that.

Personally I like the 2D client, always have; and I'm glad that they kept it. The 3D version just really looked horrible. At least it did the last time I loaded it up anyway - may or so of this year. I love the top down view, being that I've been playing RPG's since the mid 80's. So anyway my point being that they could seriously improve the 2D view without destroying the concept that has survived and worked quite well for so many years.

UO2? Well that's been a on and off topic for years now. Personally I don't think it will happen, and in a way hope that does not. I like the idea of building on what is already there and improving what one already has rather then abandoning the whole project in favor of building something new. What we have no works quite well save for the normal complaints.

But overall EA has become what most of us did not want. And that amoung other things is what has caused more and more vets to retire. I'm on my way out as well after almost 9 years. I'll keep my accounts active, but will most likely not play much.

So anyway I guess I kinda got off topic there. Sorry, just expressing my opinions on the first few posts. But overall I would love to see UO survive and improve. It's been a part of my life for along time. 

Well well well... evidently EA has had something up their sleeve for almost a year now... (maybe even longer)...

UO Graphics Upgrade...

Sig image Pending

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210
    interesting... very interesting. i'm quite curious to see what'll happen, Mythic do have some serious experience under their belts, experience EA could undoubtably benefit from.

• galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127

According to EA we got a graphic revamp of UO that was completely done by EA with no help from Mythic. Does it really matter though? Both companies make crap games with no balance filled with bugs and other issues that try to hide behind their graphics.

The scary side of this merger...

Glowing weapons in DAoC will become neon.

You will now need two accounts to kill blood elementals in UO.

• cpaw88cpaw88 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by galefan2004

According to EA we got a graphic revamp of UO that was completely done by EA with no help from Mythic. Does it really matter though? Both companies make crap games with no balance filled with bugs and other issues that try to hide behind their graphics.

Saying that Mythic makes crap games is just stupid, and I'm sure you can do better?  Maybe you should look at all the hype about Warhammer.  AoC is still played a lot today and while it was the game to play years ago, it was a big hit.  If you want to bash a company bash SOE.

Originally posted by galefan2004

Err... I hate to break this to you but Mythic doesn't make "Crap games".  If you didn't like DAOC that's fine but it's certainlly NOT a crap game.  I'll give you EA... they do make crappy games (they didn't make UO, UO was awesome when Origin still had full creative control over it it wasn't till EA dissolved Origin and started doing changes to the game that it went downhill). 

But saying Mythic makes crap games is a bit odd, to say the least. 

Sig image Pending

• PkGhostPkGhost Member Posts: 23

You want a fix-all for UO?

Hi-jack a 747 and fly it into EA headquarters.

OK, that's harsh, but seriously....EA makes sports games, not mmo's.  They are nothing more than a monster coporation (quantity over quality).  They buy up other corporations (OSI, Mythic, etc.) and turn their mmo's into shit (AOS).  No good can come of this -- I'm just waiting to see what kind of shit they turn DAOC into.

Well, let's see.....its a medieval fantasay MMORPG.  Now what bright ideas did EA have for such titles in the past?  Actually, I'm curious on this one myself....who on the UO team stood up and said "Let's add ninjas and robots!"?

I could care less about UO graphics.  If they really want to get some old players back, they need to give them back the hardcore PvP they once knew and loved.  The kind that they all still play, but don't pay EA a dime for now.  I would never consider going back to UO just because of a new graphics engine, but why not a T2A-style shard?  They claim it would be too much work to revert the code back to the way it was, but we all know good and well they still have the original sourcecode.  And even if they don't, it's not that much work.  Hell, give me a week and I could re-script it all from scratch, it's not that hard.

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by PkGhost

You want a fix-all for UO?
    Hi-jack a 747 and fly it into EA headquarters.
    OK, that's harsh, but seriously....EA makes sports games, not mmo's.  They are nothing more than a monster coporation (quantity over quality).  They buy up other corporations (OSI, Mythic, etc.) and turn their mmo's into shit (AOS).  No good can come of this -- I'm just waiting to see what kind of shit they turn DAOC into.
    Well, let's see.....its a medieval fantasay MMORPG.  Now what bright ideas did EA have for such titles in the past?  Actually, I'm curious on this one myself....who on the UO team stood up and said "Let's add ninjas and robots!"?
    I could care less about UO graphics.  If they really want to get some old players back, they need to give them back the hardcore PvP they once knew and loved.  The kind that they all still play, but don't pay EA a dime for now.  I would never consider going back to UO just because of a new graphics engine, but why not a T2A-style shard?  They claim it would be too much work to revert the code back to the way it was, but we all know good and well they still have the original sourcecode.  And even if they don't, it's not that much work.  Hell, give me a week and I could re-script it all from scratch, it's not that hard.

Another way to fix UO for some of us would be the return of OSP .. bucs set up :)!
    You two might want to edit that bit about illegal activity out of the post before a thread facist shows up and nukes them.

Sig image Pending