Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well tried it again with my AAP and it still can't cut it

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

While I respect that the current fans like the current state of the game I honestly don't see why.  The quests are definitely good but the playerbase is so small now, even on the more "crowded" servers that it's often hard to find other players to talk to.  Even in Mos Eissly.  Asside from guildmates people are busy soloing and often even guildmates are busy running out and about.  Space combet is completely dead unless you're just out doing NPC's... and frankly, if I wanna kill NPC's I'd rather play X-Wing Alliance ;)

The "expertise" system is 'ok' but it's nothing compared to the old skill system.  If you ask me it's a bad implementation in and of itself which even further imbalances already unbalanced classes.

If you've never played SWG before I guess you could enjoy it.  But knowing the old system I just can't enjoy the new.

I'll probably shut down my AAP and maybe subscribe just to EQ2, its the only SOE game I play regularly enough to bother paying for.  I'll continue to play PS on my reserves account.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214
    Thats okay, listen you just really need vodka and a g-string, and you will feel a lot better, up here brother up here brother. Thank you for your time.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    I'm not going to even pretend to understand what the heck you wrote.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Ah well, at least you can say you tried it :P

If you are looking for an active space community, I'd suggest Starsider.  It's the unofficial JTL server :)

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by BlazinBlades
    Thats okay, listen you just really need vodka and a g-string, and you will feel a lot better, up here brother up here brother. Thank you for your time.

That my friend, was one of the more bizarre posts I have seen you make.  The vodka, I get.  Regarding the g-string, my mind is spinning. 

You're welcome!

---- Ok, after reading more of his posts I understand where his mind is at. 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Obraik

If you are looking for an active space community, I'd suggest Starsider.  It's the unofficial JTL server :)

Starsider had an excellent pilot community and regular(once weekly useally) organised PvPer events as well as a fair few pilots that I knew who would patrol the space zones in PvPer mode regularly(dayly). I don't know what it is like post NGE but with the limited direct impact made to JTLS with the NGE it is likely still there although I'm sure they lost some pilots.

Originally posted by War_Dancer

Starsider had an excellent pilot community and regular(once weekly useally) organised PvPer events as well as a fair few pilots that I knew who would patrol the space zones in PvPer mode regularly(dayly). I don't know what it is like post NGE but with the limited direct impact made to JTLS with the NGE it is likely still there although I'm sure they lost some pilots.

I know they had an event today that crashed the server...

Well that could possible say as much about the state of the server as the health of the pilot community there

It is likely though that the starsider pilot community mostly survived the NGE. Some of the most dedicated pilots there didn't do that much on the ground. All the best shipwrights I knew quit but I'm sure someone steped up to provide decent or good if not as good parts.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Hmm, and here it was an up weekend for my guild. We had 8-10 people on all weekend. We even did a guild event and took out the vette for my Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor (yes that is a remarkable high for the guild I am in lately).

The quests are good though?? El, you really make me question your idea of quality writing if you consider those quests "good". ::::06::

And in regard to soloing, when has that not been the way in SWG? Even pre-cu my guild was a group of soloers. You could solo anything in the game and for many it's still that way now. SWG has never given grouping incentives nor has anyone ever wanted too other then to milk coin from missions.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Well that could possible say as much about the state of the server as the health of the pilot community there

It is likely though that the starsider pilot community mostly survived the NGE. Some of the most dedicated pilots there didn't do that much on the ground. All the best shipwrights I knew quit but I'm sure someone steped up to provide decent or good if not as good parts.

Indeed it could ;)

But yes, those that have been playing the game for the JTL side of it haven't been overly affected by the NGE as space hasn't had any serious changes made to it.  Shipwright too hasn't had any changes made to it either, infact they've done the odd change that has improved their goods :)

Originally posted by Fadeus

Hmm, and here it was an up weekend for my guild. We had 8-10 people on all weekend. We even did a guild event and took out the vette for my Imperial Guard Tie Interceptor (yes that is a remarkable high for the guild I am in lately).

You turned a solo mission into a guild event? (sorry pilot ego getting the better of me )

Indeed it could ;)

But yes, those that have been playing the game for the JTL side of it haven't been overly affected by the NGE as space hasn't had any serious changes made to it.  Shipwright too hasn't had any changes made to it either, infact they've done the odd change that has improved their goods :)

Indeed it could ;)

True it with tailor were probably the least effected of crafters by the NGE (unless you consider the loss of inate armor with TKA a blow to tailor sales .... that's is probably just me being a TKA purely so I didn't have to wear armor talking though ). I wouldn't have called shipwright a healthy crafting profession preNGE though, it was the most obvious example of a crafting professions being secondary to loot preNGE but a problem the profession had from the start of JTLS.

You turned a solo mission into a guild event? (sorry pilot ego getting the better of me image)

Ego or just wanting to make me look bad? Ya we turned it into an event so the younger players had a chance to fly in the POB's and see a vette get taken down while they helped.

Your mentality is the perfect example of my point to Elnator, thanks for reinforcing it.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

You turned a solo mission into a guild event? (sorry pilot ego getting the better of me )

Ego or just wanting to make me look bad? Ya we turned it into an event so the younger players had a chance to fly in the POB's and see a vette get taken down while they helped.

Your mentality is the perfect example of my point to Elnator, thanks for reinforcing it.

Nah wasn't to make you look bad, doing that mission solo was a mix of pilot skill and knowing the trick to it ... the trick being more important really. I did that mission and apart from the times it was for me (twice) it was always in a team. Your right about most things in the game being soloible (which the NGE didn't help, I heard necrosis is an easy solo now) but your own example of making that mission an event shows what was really fun about the teaming, being with friends and showing each other tactics.

As a side point I soloed alot in all version of SWG, not because of there being no challenged that I needed teams for but because I hate being the one to organise a team so I never formed my own and I strongly prefer a team with friends to a random peope althought I'd still join a random team if there was a call for help with a specific mission and I thought I might be able to a little.

NGE didn't help at all. Even as a medic I see myself using the abilities more to help me personally then help a team of people. It's a pain in the ass with the current targetting system to target people and buff or heal them anyways so that is just one more reason not too.

And the guildy's had a ball. They thought they were gonna die when they saw the vette off the horizon and the blaster bolts start raining in on them.

- Scaris

And the guildy's had a ball. They thought they were gonna die when they saw the vette off the horizon and the blaster bolts start raining in on them.

The vette was so scary the first few times I was in teams againts one, got myself horribley blow up a few times attacking from the wrong direction

Again alot of taking on vettes is learning the right tactics. Which was alot of the fun for jtls for me.

If I remember right it had the exact same weakness in Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

- Scaris

True it with tailor were probably the least effected of crafters by the NGE (unless you consider the loss of inate armor with TKA a blow to tailor sales .... that's is probably just me being a TKA purely so I didn't have to wear armor talking though ). I wouldn't have called shipwright a healthy crafting profession preNGE though, it was the most obvious example of a crafting professions being secondary to loot preNGE but a problem the profession had from the start of JTLS.

Tailor was affected a little, they can't make Bio-engineered clothing that has a use in the NGE so their main selling point is that they can make clothes that make you look good. 

Space loot on its own isn't that flash.  Most components will have one great stat, but the rest of it will let it down.  You need to get a set of looted components with complimentry stats to RE before the loot becomes better then crafted.  Heh, I know I wouldn't use stuff I looted over the crafted stuff I have :)

Originally posted by War_Dancer True it with tailor were probably the least effected of crafters by the NGE (unless you consider the loss of inate armor with TKA a blow to tailor sales .... that's is probably just me being a TKA purely so I didn't have to wear armor talking though ). I wouldn't have called shipwright a healthy crafting profession preNGE though, it was the most obvious example of a crafting professions being secondary to loot preNGE but a problem the profession had from the start of JTLS.Tailor was affected a little, they can't make Bio-engineered clothing that has a use in the NGE so their main selling point is that they can make clothes that make you look good. 
    Space loot on its own isn't that flash.  Most components will have one great stat, but the rest of it will let it down.  You need to get a set of looted components with complimentry stats to RE before the loot becomes better then crafted.  Heh, I know I wouldn't use stuff I looted over the crafted stuff I have :)

With exception of mass. Looted stuff can be way more mass friendly then crafted even before RE'ing.

- Scaris

Tailor was affected a little, they can't make Bio-engineered clothing that has a use in the NGE so their main selling point is that they can make clothes that make you look good. 

We've been through this before Obraik, all 4 of my ships in my datapad used completely or near completely REed looted parts that blew crafted parts out of the water. The three borstel disrupters I had in my advanced x-wing alone were far far better then anything a crafter could hope to achieve and that set loot parts up as much more 'uber' then crafted and most people therefore really wanted and would pay the big money for with crafters relegated to selling leveling parts or fill ins untill you got something far better. That relegates shipwrights to being secondary to loot and the amount of time it takes to get those loot parts only drives the loot prices up. People were willing to spend weeks of in game time in EQ1 for example just camping the one creature hoping it would drop what they wanted. Long time grinds to get the best loot has always been part of all loot MMO economies.

Shipwright is a dissapointment to me not only for the lack of thought into how good crafted parts should be but the actual crafting process is boring as sin. Ships are all 1 combine to make anything. Parts are 2 max, it's like what they just did to EQ 2 crafting.

The current dev team just doesn't get what the original dev team created with crafting. That is why I love DE so much, there is so much work invovled to make a droid. EXCEPT for flight computers which were added by the new dev team, and it's one combine, minerals don't matter, quality doesn't matter.

As a shipwright I feel very neglected in comparison to other other crafting professions.

- Scaris

We've been through this before Obraik, all 4 of my ships in my datapad used completely or near completely REed looted parts that blew crafted parts out of the water. The three borstel disrupters I had in my advanced x-wing alone were far far better then anything a crafter could hope to achieve and that set loot parts up as much more 'uber' then crafted and most people therefore really wanted and would pay the big money for with crafters relegated to selling leveling parts or fill ins untill you got something far better. That relegates shipwrights to being secondary to loot and the amount of time it takes to get those loot parts only drives the loot prices up. People were willing to spend weeks of in game time in EQ1 for example just camping the one creature hoping it would drop what they wanted. Long time grinds to get the best loot has always been part of all loot MMO economies.

Re-read what I posted :P  I said "You need to get a set of looted components with complimentry stats to RE before the loot becomes better then crafted." which is what you've done for your ships :)  However, you can't just jump into space, kill a few things and have uber parts to RE.  It can take many, many looting sessions before you get something worthy of RE'ing.  The higher the level component you want at the end, the more looting sessions you'll need to do and you'll need the crafted components to do those looting sessions.

Overall, yes I agree with you and your assessment of Shipwright.  I'm just adding in the inbetween points and basically trying to say that Shipwright definetely plays a fairly important part in the pilot community even if they might not be able to make the absolute best components.

It will be interesting to see how they change Shipwright (if at all) with crafter revamp in the next publish.  Maybe SW's will be given new abilities that will allow them to compete with RE'd goods (don't laugh too hard at that :P)

The revamp is scarring the hell out of me actually. It is the one thing I am really into with SWG at the moment and the current dev team has done nothing so far but show a lack of concern for the depth of crafting or how important crafting stay in the game.

I see the crafter's version of the NGE coming and that may just push me back out of the game again.

- Scaris

The revamp is scarring the hell out of me actually. It is the one thing I am really into with SWG at the moment and the current dev team has done nothing so far but show a lack of concern for the depth of crafting or how important crafting stay in the game.
    I see the crafter's version of the NGE coming and that may just push me back out of the game again.

Heh, lets hope Hanse gets the crafting stuff :D

Re-read what I posted :P  I said "You need to get a set of looted components with complimentry stats to RE before the loot becomes better then crafted." which is what you've done for your ships :)  However, you can't just jump into space, kill a few things and have uber parts to RE.  It can take many, many looting sessions before you get something worthy of RE'ing.  The higher the level component you want at the end, the more looting sessions you'll need to do and you'll need the crafted components to do those looting sessions.
    Overall, yes I agree with you and your assessment of Shipwright.  I'm just adding in the inbetween points and basically trying to say that Shipwright definetely plays a fairly important part in the pilot community even if they might not be able to make the absolute best components.
    It will be interesting to see how they change Shipwright (if at all) with crafter revamp in the next publish.  Maybe SW's will be given new abilities that will allow them to compete with RE'd goods (don't laugh too hard at that :P)

Well I'd disagree how long it would take, every 8 to 10 space missions taking half an hour each would produce another worthy of being REed cert 8 weapon in my experiance. THat's not to mention how many other non weapon loot parts your getting at the time.

Really I think our disagreements on crafters in the NGE is just that we come from a differnent directions on what is being usefull as a crafter is. I take the view that the best equipment should be created by crafter. All the best crafters I knew took a huge amount of pride and pleasure in trying and being able with the very best and rare resources of beating their previous best weapons stats even if only by a few points here and there. The fun for them was getting the different resources and experimenting with them to find the right way to produce a slightly better weapon, armor, pet or whatever. A part of their pleasure from that was also that someone would buy and love that weapon, armor, pet, etc. You (just guessing and I know you'll correct me if I'm wrong ) seem to take the view that as long as the crafters have a niche market that everything is ok for them but without the skill that used to be there (now easily making out all stats) and with only producing throw away parts or items that people only use untill they get the better loot they really value then crafting just isn't really a valued playstyle or anything more then secondary to looting.

I'd bet the crafter revamp will either be turning them into a secondary profession like pilot or adding in 'REing' for all the crafting professions which in my opinion isn't crafting but it is looting to get all the best equipment. I can't see the current SWG devs have the intrest in crafting or respect to the playstyle to do anything else for them.

Well I'd disagree how long it would take, every 8 to 10 space missions taking half an hour each would produce another worthy of being REed cert 8 weapon in my experiance. THat's not to mention how many other non weapon loot parts your getting at the time.

Really I think our disagreements on crafters in the NGE is just that we come from a differnent directions on what is being usefull as a crafter is. I take the view that the best equipment should be created by crafter. All the best crafters I knew took a huge amount of pride and pleasure in trying and being able with the very best and rare resources of beating their previous best weapons stats even if only by a few points here and there. The fun for them was getting the different resources and experimenting with them to find the right way to produce a slightly better weapon, armor, pet or whatever. A part of their pleasure from that was also that someone would buy and love that weapon, armor, pet, etc. You (just guessing and I know you'll correct me if I'm wrong ) seem to take the view that as long as the crafters have a niche market that everything is ok for them but without the skill that used to be there (now easily making out all stats) and with only producing throw away parts or items that people only use untill they get the better loot they really value then crafting just isn't really a valued playstyle or anything more then secondary to looting.

I'd bet the crafter revamp will either be turning them into a secondary profession like pilot or adding in 'REing' for all the crafting professions which in my opinion isn't crafting but it is looting to get all the best equipment. I can't see the current SWG devs have the intrest in crafting or respect to the playstyle to do anything else for them.

Well, as an armoursmith I do craft better then the loot or quested stuff :)  I also like to hunt down new resources that will improve my layers, even if it's only by 10 points lol.  I spend a few hours each week going across the planets checking to see if the resources I need have spawned and if the stats meet my requirements. 

Well, as an armoursmith I do craft better then the loot or quested stuff :)  I also like to hunt down new resources that will improve my layers, even if it's only by 10 points lol.  I spend a few hours each week going across the planets checking to see if the resources I need have spawned and if the stats meet my requirements. 

Which is nice you enjoy that but one out of all the old crafter professions that still works like they all should isn't good enough from how important crafters were for the first two years of SWG. I know the weaponsmiths in my guild were able to hit max on all weapon stats with the resources the guild had been stockpiling from launch and more of the crafting professions are secondary to loot providing at most niche markets. EQ2 has as many actuely usefull crafting professions as that. Now watch, the crafter revamp will give armorsmiths REing and everyone will start stockpiling armor parts to bring to you to press one button.