Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is UO? It seems booming.

jonsnow13jonsnow13 Member Posts: 67

UO Seems like it's kicking ass and taking names, I am a big fan of diablo 2 and UO seems like a diablo 2 clone with an MMORPG twist to it.  I played in the old days and loved it, but it might be even better now.  What is everyones opinions who have actually played recently?

Comments

• MachoMMachoM Member Posts: 89

It was much better in the old days.  It is true that the game still has a good amount of subscribers but it is not as fun as it used to be. 

But I have not played it since the newest expansion came out so not sure about the items and stuff anymore

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by jonsnow13

UO Seems like it's kicking ass and taking names, I am a big fan of diablo 2 and UO seems like a diablo 2 clone with an MMORPG twist to it.  I played in the old days and loved it, but it might be even better now.  What is everyones opinions who have actually played recently?

First of all .. calling UO a diablo 2 clone just shows how little you know about both games :)

Diablo 2 released in 2000 and ultima online in 1997

Second of all , UO is nothing like diablo 2 .. D2 is a single/multiplayer hack n' slash
    UO is a mmorpg and most importanly a virtual world..

want a d2 clone..try WoW
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Booming?  NOT.  Ultima Online was the first and the best 1997-2000.  Now, it completely sucks.  If you want to play it, play on a free server.
  • unholy414unholy414 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by PsyX

First of all .. calling UO a diablo 2 clone just shows how little you know about both games :)

Diablo 2 released in 2000 and ultima online in 1997  (<irrelevant)

Second of all , UO is nothing like diablo 2 .. D2 is a single/multiplayer hack n' slash
    UO is a mmorpg and most importanly a virtual world.
    want a d2 clone..try WoW

First of all .. calling Diablo 2 a WoW clone shows just how little you know about both games :)

Diablo 2 released in 2000 and WoW in 2004

Second of all , Diablo 2 is nothing like WoW .. WoW is a mmorpg and most importantly a virtual world..
    D2 is a single/multiplayer hack n' slash

Want a WoW clone..try EQ2.

Originally posted by unholy414

want a d2 clone..try WoW

First of all .. calling Diablo 2 a WoW clone shows just how little you know about both games :)

Second of all , Diablo 2 is nothing like WoW .. WoW is a mmorpg and most importantly a virtual world..

Allright.. since you have proven to have the reading skills of my dog ill try to do this ..
    the "easy" way.

Never Once did i call Diablo 2 a WoW clone .. i called WoW a diablo 2 clone.
    wich it infact is .. its a hack n' slash game based on collection items and killing
    tons and tons of monsters and under controlled forms mabye a player once in a while..

World of warcraft is far to static to be called a virtual world so you can f of with that crap.

"want a wow clone try EQ2." ..and this has to do with what..how?..

And by the way how is the release date of UO irrelevant when we are talking about "clones"
    without a original product there is nothing to clone. but thats not the point here anyways
    he said that UO was a clone of DIABLO 2 , diablo 2 was released years AFTER ultima online
    wich would make the entire clone idea .. impossible...

why? well..the cloned sheep did not come before the normal sheep now did it..?
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Well it's obvious that you have the reading comprehension skills of your average Gnat.

1) OP claimed that UO was a Diablo2 clone. Which is physically, logistically and even theoretically impossible because Diablo II didn't even exist when UO was released, let alone in development.

2) Responder pointed this out and stated that WOW is a Diablo 2 clone (which it is, it is also an EQ1 clone).

You pop off saying that he called Diablo 2 a WoW clone?  Where did you come up with that?  And calling EQ2 a WoW clone is idiotic as well because EQ2 not only released before WoW did, it went into development before WoW did.  Furthermore the only reason the two games share similarities is because both are based on EQ1 (as well as other games).    I've played both titles.  They are similar but they're absolutely not clones.

And calling WoW a 'virtual world' is just laughable. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

want a d2 clone..try WoW

Allright, since you have proven to have the reading skills of my dog i'll try to do this the "easy" way.

Never Once did I call Diablo 2 a WoW clone. I called WoW a diablo 2 clone,
    which it infact, is. It's a hack n' slash game based on collection items and killing
    tons and tons of monsters under controlled forms, mabye a player once in a while.

World of warcraft is far too static to be called a virtual world, so you can F' off with that crap.

"Want a wow clone? Try EQ2." This has to do with what? How?

By the way, how is the release date of UO irrelevant when we are talking about "clones"? Without an original product, there is nothing to clone. Although that's not the point here anyways. He said that UO was a clone of Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was released years After Ultima Online, which would make the entire clone idea impossible.

Why? Well the cloned sheep did not come before the normal sheep now did it?

You have the grammar of dead cats.

want a d2 clone..try WoW

Allright, since you have proven to have the reading skills of my dog i'll try to do this the "easy" way.

which it infact, is. It's a hack n' slash game based on collection items and killing
    tons and tons of monsters under controlled forms, mabye a player once in a while.

World of warcraft is far too static to be called a virtual world, so you can F' off with that crap.

By the way, how is the release date of UO irrelevant when we are talking about "clones"? Without an original product, there is nothing to clone. Although that's not the point here anyways. He said that UO was a clone of Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was released years After Ultima Online, which would make the entire clone idea impossible.

Aww unholy..hurts that bad to be owned..?

try to think of something better then spelling if you want to flame me..
    first of all you see my first language is not english .. second of all .. i dont acctually
    give a **** about  grammar or spelling. Aslong as i can make my self understod im fine
    with my english skills..

ok little leetboy?

want a d2 clone..try WoW

Aww Unholy, does it hurts that bad to be owned?

Try to think of something better than spelling if you want to flame me.
    First of all, you see, my first language is not English. Second of all, I don't actually*
    give a **** about  grammar or spelling. Aslong as I can make my self understod, I'm fine with my english skills.

Ok little leetboy?

I think you're just owning yourself. You should just stop posting.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

i miss riding around in my boat and fishing/treasure hunting in diablo2.  ahhh those were the good old days.  or that time we took out the big bad guy, and he dropped that +20 scroll and then we killed his boss, diablo.  i really miss my guild hanging out at our big diablo2 guildhouse that was close to that one dungeon.  and mining in diablo2 was a bit tedious, but good lord, think of all the uber things you could craft in diablo2~!!  yes, diablo2 had many, many things that UO copied.

yeah, and make fun of my lack of capitalization if you desire.  whatever floats your boat!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

You mean Diablo is a UO clone.  I was testing UO back in 1994.  You should maybe get your dates in order before calling UO a Diablo 2 clone...

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Originally posted by damian7

i miss riding around in my boat and fishing/treasure hunting in diablo2.  ahhh those were the good old days.  or that time we took out the big bad guy, and he dropped that +20 scroll and then we killed his boss, diablo.  i really miss my guild hanging out at our big diablo2 guildhouse that was close to that one dungeon.  and mining in diablo2 was a bit tedious, but good lord, think of all the uber things you could craft in diablo2~!!  yes, diablo2 had many, many things that UO copied.

yeah, and make fun of my lack of capitalization if you desire.  whatever floats your boat!

?  Don't you mean Diablo copied UO?  Or are you just being dumb?

Yes.. bad me ..bad me writing things that make sense .. baad me ...
    oh no..my english sucks .. :( now im crying... or not

hate to be doing this i gotta ask..your american right?
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Wow, what a horrible thread.  Guess there is nothing left to talk about when it comes to UO.

Originally posted by Vertex1980

You mean Diablo is a UO clone.  I was testing UO back in 1994.  You should maybe get your dates in order before calling UO a Diablo 2 clone...

That's a neat trick... exactly how did you pull that off considering UO didn't go into closed beta until 1997?  In 1994 it had barely begun development.  Unless you're thinking of Ultima VII which may have been in beta testing in '94.

UO isn't a Diablo clone though, you're right... it's an Online version of the Ultima series of RPGs.  Der... thus the name... ULTIMA ONLINE

People are so damn dense.

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by sempiternal
    Wow, what a horrible thread.  Guess there is nothing left to talk about when it comes to UO.

It's 10 years old dude... it's not like there's anything new to talk about.  EA ruined UO years ago.  the only real UO players left play on 'unnoficial' shards.  We're not allowed to talk about those so there isn't much to talk about here.

Sig image Pending

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

The current Dev team is doing a great job lately , they have added new content , fixes alot of bugs /exploits , the current storyline is great ,We have 9th anniversary coming out soon , and a much rumuored engine upgrade sometime around 10th anniversary , it seems EA has finally got there head out of there @#$ (   )and are sinking extra funds into UO..

Sure there still alot of work to do , but for the last 6 months I was on that fence alot of old players may have been on , should I quit or stay ( many sadly have quit) , I chose to hang in and give the new Dev a chance to fix the game , They have done alot of work , For the last few weeks I have had more fun on the PVP and current town invasion side than have had in about 2 years..

Theres going to but one of 2 things that will happen , UO will close or UO will come back from the grave not to many people thought it could get out of..

• LokimerLokimer Member Posts: 89
    Well yeah, wasn't UO just a stripped down version of Ultima VII with netcode? And with even worse graphics than most people remember.  But I loved it. It was somethng brand new besides all those MUDs and Meridian 59.
  • ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    UO is definitely booming in the moment. So much stuff going on, very exciting times :)

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?

Yes, bad me. Bad me, writing things that make sense. Baad me.
    Oh no, my English sucks. :(  Now im crying....or not.

I hate to be doing this, I gotta ask. You're
    American, right?

Lol....you're poorly educated, right?
  • Aquila26Aquila26 Member Posts: 55

Nah this game isnt a clone of anything if you ask me. I hadnt played it in years but when I did I was pretty satisfied with gameplay and many other aspects of the game. It goes a good ways back too 97-98 I believe.

For one thing its skillbased which is something many mmos dont offer. It has a good variety so you could mix and match to make the type of character you want.

Its got a good playerbased economy thats always good, playerhousing that you build yourself and a karma system seperating the good from the bad.

The only thing I never liked about uo was the graphics and that it was always hard to find a place to put your home. I just grew out of it along with the game changes overtime. Its got its downsides like any other mmos but I wouldnt go so far as to say to someone "Dont play this game" unless things have gotten really bad there these days. Sorry I havent played recently just thought I'd throw this out there.

www.mmorpgnucleus.com

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by sempiternal
    Booming?  NOT.  Ultima Online was the first and the best 1997-2000.  Now, it completely sucks.  If you want to play it, play on a free server.

Agreed.  It had an element that was a once in a life time thing.  MMORPGs won't be the same ever since WoW.  Not saying this is good or bad, but UO was the first and the best at one time.  But it is archaic at this point.
  • NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

want a d2 clone..try WoW

Aww Unholy, does it hurts that bad to be owned?

Try to think of something better than spelling if you want to flame me.
    First of all, you see, my first language is not English. Second of all, I don't actually*
    give a **** about  grammar or spelling. Aslong as I can make my self understod, I'm fine with my english skills.

Ok little leetboy?

I love it. When someone start's to lose an argument they instantly switch over to small grammer mistakes, brilliant!

• UO, in its original incarnation, was original, yes. The direction it was taken in the later years made the game heavily item-based, which is a clone of every other MMO out there, and yes, Diablo. I think there's a point to be made, there. And while UO is probably in the best position it has been in for 3-4 years now, it's still pretty low, and if this new expansion fails, I don't know what to tell you. :S

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Unholy and Psyx....

Enough with the constant back-and-forth flaming.  If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then leave.  Otherwise your accounts will receive warnings.