Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any news from Bioware?

zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

We all know that Bioware is making a new mmo game, what we don't know, is what the title/theme is going to be. Any part-time detectives out there who can shed some light? They made the announcement on March 13 which is almost 5 months ago and not a single peep from them. Bioware is known to keep their game secrets close, but is anyone out there with some hot info or just some ridiculous rumour? Right now I'll settle for just about any silly claim.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    As soon as anyone knows anything , Everyone will know . 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EnsnaredEnsnared Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I'm pretty sure it's Go-Bots.

• zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

August 8, 2006 - BioWare Austin will use Simutronics' HeroEngine, a development platform for MMORPGs, in creating its inaugural title, according to an announcement from Simutronics today.

In March, BioWare announced that its newly-formed Austin studio was at work on a massively-multiplayer title. The team is working under lead designer James Ohlen, a veteran of Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Baldur's Gate.

So far, the company has been tight-lipped about its MMORPG, leaving some to drool in speculation that the Star Wars universe will go online in a new incarnation.

"At BioWare we selected HeroEngine because it had the most sophisticated and complete development tools available for building an amazing online experience," said Gordon Walton, Co-Studio Director of BioWare Austin. "Our team wanted a great rapid prototyping environment and to work with experienced MMO developers. The HeroEngine from Simutronics is a perfect fit for BioWare Austin's requirements."

The HeroEngine platform integrates diverse tasks such as character creation, game scripting, server clustering, development collaboration, and GameMaster tools. Simutronics is using the technology on its own upcoming MMORPG, Hero's Journey.

Waaa!! I want a sci-fi Bioware MMO 

On the other hand no-one ever said you couldn't use gamemaster tools in a sci-fi

ps: the above text comes from: http://pc.ign.com/articles/724/724236p1.html
  • wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Hmm, if my memory doesnt do me wrong here, I seem to remember "Hero's journey" to be a standard,. stock, classased, levelbased, non sandbox, facepicking, and run of the mill MMO.

If Bioware is going to use that engine, that only make it look good with mucho cowbells.....I'm not so sure if knowing Bioware to make a MMO is going to give me any..pleasure.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• ShivorEheShivorEhe Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Ensnared
    I'm pretty sure it's Go-Bots.

LOL Classic....they were even lame when they were cool.
  • meakersmeakers Member Posts: 38

http://www.play.net/playdotnet/platform/

Just because Hero's Journey may or may not  function like current MMOs does not mean the MMO Bioware is developing will be the same thing.

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

Originally posted by ShivorEhe

Originally posted by Ensnared I'm pretty sure it's Go-Bots.
    LOL Classic....they were even lame when they were cool.

Cy-Kill was my here::::02::
  • anaicanaic Member Posts: 409
    go-bots were lame; just a cheap transformers rip-off.
  • WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Originally posted by anaic

Gobots came out on Sept. 8, 1984

Transformers came out on Sept. 17, 1984

Gobots are based on the Japanese Machine Robo toy-line from Bandai in 1982.

Transformers are based on Diaclone which was a toyline by Takara Toys launched in 1980 but the Car-Robot line (Transformers as we know them) didn't come out until 1982.

I think it's too close to call on who stole from who but since Gobots aired in North America 9 days before Transformers they win!

Besides, there was a cross-over once!!!  The Gobot's dimension was threatened by a new evil and the solution was in the Transformer's dimension.

Come to think of it the Gobots were made by Tonka and the Transformers were made by Hasbro.  You could hammer nails with a Gobot and it wouldn't damage the toy one bit.  If you put Gobots against Transformers in a "Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot" test the Gobots would win hands down. 

And to answer the OP - Bioware will be making a fantasy game not a starwars game.  Look at the people they are trying to hire and what they are being hired for...smells like fantasy.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426
    You could take that engine and make a killer sci-fi MMO with it.  You'd have to add a ton of things to it, of course, but with the talent Bioware has and is adding weekly, it could easily be a sci-fi MMO.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's Star Wars, and I don't personally believe it will be () but based on what we know it doesn't have to be fantasy.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• meakersmeakers Member Posts: 38
    I would love for it to be Star Wars, but if it is not that I hope that is SciFi because that niche definitely needs to be filled. I strongly believe thats a big reason why some people go to SWG.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Quote:
    Quote: Posted 03/14/06 18:52:51 (GMT) by Spectus

To the_one_54321: I don't suppose you have a link to any pages that have the official word from BW execs that they will not be working with any outside intellectual properties for this MMORPG, do you?

the_one_54321

priestly, henley and woo have been posting on this thread. why dont you just ask them? im pretty sure henley was one of the specific persons who said bioware will not be doing others intellectual property. priestly and woo may have also commented on it. i can try and find a link for you but im really no good with the search feature so no promises.

Quote:
    Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

Actually, One, if you read our posts you'll notice we are carefully NOT saying what it will or will not be about yet.

Except Stan and his dementia about toys from the 80's. But he's out of his gourd and cannot be trusted.

Quote:
    the_one_54321

no i was talking about the posts in starwars topics in the off topic forum. im pretty sure that henley has made it very clear that bioware will not be working with outside intellectual property.

Quote:

Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

I never saw those. But they certainly must have been made BEFORE we announced a MMO. Once again, this means nothing (except that James is as valuable a source of info as Woo) as far as what our MMO may or may not be about.

Quote:
    Quote: Posted 03/14/06 20:52:45 (GMT) by Stanley Woo

Go. Bots. Go. Bots!
    Mighty robots!
    Mighty ve-hi-cles!
    GO-BOTS!

James Henley
    Designer

Between Go-Bots, Captain Caveman, Bionic Six, Dino Riders, Galaxy High, Turbo Teen, and M.A.S.K., we've got a metric pile of properties we can play with do develop an MMO. Heck, I bet if I lobbied hard enough, I could convince BioWare Austin to do a Rainbow Brite game!

And by "lobby," I of course mean "brainwash."

It disturbs me that I know most of those references.

And yes, my comments about focusing on existing BioWare intellectual properties were pre-MMO announcement.

Quote:

Stanley Woo
    QA Ninja

If y'all want to talk about what you'd like to see in a SW MMO, please start up a thread in our Off-Topic forum. Let's at least try to keep this trhead open for discussing our brand new Austin studio! Yahoo!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

That was interesting, and informative and non-informative at the same time. 

I wish somebody, somewhere had something concrete to say about anything. 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• TaguritTagurit Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Wickersham

Originally posted by anaic

Gobots came out on Sept. 8, 1984

Transformers came out on Sept. 17, 1984

Gobots are based on the Japanese Machine Robo toy-line from Bandai in 1982.

Transformers are based on Diaclone which was a toyline by Takara Toys launched in 1980 but the Car-Robot line (Transformers as we know them) didn't come out until 1982.

I think it's too close to call on who stole from who but since Gobots aired in North America 9 days before Transformers they win!

Besides, there was a cross-over once!!!  The Gobot's dimension was threatened by a new evil and the solution was in the Transformer's dimension.

Come to think of it the Gobots were made by Tonka and the Transformers were made by Hasbro.  You could hammer nails with a Gobot and it wouldn't damage the toy one bit.  If you put Gobots against Transformers in a "Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot" test the Gobots would win hands down. 

And to answer the OP - Bioware will be making a fantasy game not a starwars game.  Look at the people they are trying to hire and what they are being hired for...smells like fantasy.

You are truly scaring me with your plastic toy "retro" knowledge....
  • GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    " Familiarity with the fantasy genre and role-playing games is a must.
    Should have some experience with the NWN editor. Examples of work must
    be provided "

Taken from Bioware's job offerrings at their new Austin studio, recently created to create and publish their new MMO.    http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/austin_jobs/

Sorry people, but we really need to stop hoping that Bioware's gonna come to the rescue. I truely believe that, based on this quote from their "Jobs at Bioware Austin" page for "Technical Writer", that they'll be be sticking to a fantasy-based MMO.

Fantasy MMO's make more than 90% of all MMO's out there, according to www.mmogchart.com , and that's not likely to change too much anytime soon. They're the easiest to design, develop, and manage, especially when compared to working with someone else's IP (Intellectual Property). And Bioware's not stupid; they'll do what they know they can do, with their own IP, in a manner they can control. And as sick as I am of sword and sorcery MMO's, they're a solid choice. People will always play another fantasy MMO. Period.

Sorry again folks, I wish Bioware would swoop in and make it all better, but I'm not holding my breath.

/salute.
  • kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508
    They could be doing a Jade Empire MMO. Would be decent to see that. Jade Empire was a good game. Just hope the MMO is a little more open then the game was.

Kai

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    They could be doing a Jade Empire MMO. Would be decent to see that. Jade Empire was a good game. Just hope the MMO is a little more open then the game was.

Kai

High five babe, I second that, that would be nefty an MMO on Jade Empire, with g-strings in it. Or it could be transformers, and g-strings in that too, Jade would be a fun MMO. Thank you for your time.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.