Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Will Buy Sigil Eventually

Comments

• CraggerCragger Member Posts: 8
    And if that happens you think back, enjoy the time you had, cancel your subscription, and move on. People get attached to things that don't even exist, these virtual characters and items. Eventually you will always move on to something else because you no longer have fun.

To be honest with SoE's lack of anything on the table in development for the future and their current buisness actions they seem to be more working towards being the major distributer/datacenter for online games then actually owning and controlling games themselves. the Steam of MMOs in effect.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

SOE....has fanbois?

I....I don't know what to say. I guess I've seen it all.

And about people that hate SOE...what can I say. They deserve it for what they did to SWG. Not just the game, to the players. Their loyal customers who had subscribed for years. Betrayal breeds hatred, as you sow so shall you reap, etc.

• jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by abbaba

SOE....has fanbois?
     I....I don't know what to say. I guess I've seen it all.

And about people that hate SOE...what can I say. They deserve it for what they did to SWG. Not just the game, to the players. Their loyal customers who had subscribed for years. Betrayal breeds hatred, as you sow so shall you reap, etc.

whether you hate or love soe, i think everyone can agree that the nge was unethical in stripping all loot of its value and causing people to regrind all over again just to get back to where they were. i don't think anyone wants to see that happen if soe buys sigil in 2007.
  • jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by Fadeus

Not saying they will or won't, however it wouldn't suprise me if they did in 2 years.

i agree with you. and that's what will cause the most pain.

it's one thing for $0e to buy sigil right after launch. u know what ur getting into it (sorta).

it's another thing to invest 6 to 18 months into a character and then for $oe so buy sigil, implement an nge-like revamp and render all ur loot worthless that u've spent so much time acquiring.

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by jonaku
    ...it's another thing to invest 6 to 18 months into a character...

Just wanted to respond to the invest part. 

I've never really understood that sentiment when it comes to playing a game.  I treat MMO's just like any other game that I play.  I play them to have FUN.  If at any point I stop having fun - I stop playing the game.  What is the investment?  Time?  Money?

Did you get the amount of play-time you paid for?  If yes, then that's as far as the obligation goes isn't it?  Too many players seem to think that just because they pay a monthly subscription fee that gives them the right to expect that gaming companies must do exactly what they want.  Not true.  You own the right to play the character their software allowed you to create on their server for another month - period.

Gaming companies usually have their own agenda, which may or may not align with what players themselves want.  WoW/Blizzard is an example that has worked.  Will it continue to work?  Time will tell.  Earth and Beyond/EA was an example that did not work.  SWG/SOE is another example that appears to have failed.  Time will tell.  Each of these is an example of the gaming company taking the game in a certain direction and then the players either liked what they saw and then re-subscribed or un-subscribed.  It's that simple.  It's not like a saving account where your investments grow over time.

It would seem that if you are looking to get a return from your time and/or money; it would be better to be working rather than playing a video game.   

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my two cents on the investment point.  I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my take on it.
  • synerissyneris Member Posts: 1
    So they leave SOE only to sell themselves back into it?
  • VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by syneris
    So they leave SOE only to sell themselves back into it?

Some people seem to think so.

• Bren_34Bren_34 Member Posts: 32
                            Idon't not doubt that it will not really happen
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Jonaku, seriously now.

I mean, I understand alot of people dislike SOE, but why?  Because they messed up one game?  SWG failed, that sucks boohoo weep weep, it's over with.  Planescape, it never really hit hard at all.  Everquest, sure it's not what it used to be, but neither is UO.  All good things slowly die off, especially older games.  And SOE seems to be doing pretty damn good with Everquest right now.  Everquest 2, horrible launch, but have you played it lately?

So, Jonaku, let say that Sigil DOES get bought off by SOE.  Why does it have to suck?  Sure, they might make the game chang e alittle bit, but why does it have to be bad?  If you weight out SOE mistakes and success, their success outweight their mistakes.  They brought EQ2 back from the dead and it is now one of the top MMOs out right now.  EQ1 is doing good and SWG is the only one really sucking?

Sure, I don't WANT SOE to take over Sigil and Vanguard, but what if they did?  I guess we will just have to stick around and see what happens.  Even if they did nerf things a little bit, if the game is still fun, I'm going to play it.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by MaeEye
    Jonaku, seriously now.

I mean, I understand alot of people dislike SOE, but why?  Because they messed up one game?  SWG failed, that sucks boohoo weep weep, it's over with.  Planescape, it never really hit hard at all.  Everquest, sure it's not what it used to be, but neither is UO.  All good things slowly die off, especially older games.  And SOE seems to be doing pretty damn good with Everquest right now.  Everquest 2, horrible launch, but have you played it lately?

So, Jonaku, let say that Sigil DOES get bought off by SOE.  Why does it have to suck?  Sure, they might make the game chang e alittle bit, but why does it have to be bad?  If you weight out SOE mistakes and success, their success outweight their mistakes.  They brought EQ2 back from the dead and it is now one of the top MMOs out right now.  EQ1 is doing good and SWG is the only one really sucking?

Sure, I don't WANT SOE to take over Sigil and Vanguard, but what if they did?  I guess we will just have to stick around and see what happens.  Even if they did nerf things a little bit, if the game is still fun, I'm going to play it.

I agree....though you are forgetting The Matrix Online =P

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

big companies do good, big companies do bad... Thats just life, time to get over it yes?

Without those same big companies there wouldnt be the magnitude of the hobby you all love. Eat it up, or spit it out.. who really cares?

so bored of sheep-like fashion following idiots who just follow the latest trends of thought 'cause it's easy.

get a idea of your own eh?

• PlumbPlumb Member Posts: 1

We can only hope that this will not turn out to be the case.

I'd only assumed that it hit a tree, and it's made an ass out of you and me. From the holes i've exhumed a nut or two. My pics are posted, my camera's through. I troll these forums as I drink my brew, now i'm off to BF2.

• NevidimkaNevidimka Member Posts: 9
    It will be a sad day to see Vanguard going down to the drain.

"Boldly go to where no one has gone before..."

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    In order for anyone to make "millions" the game has to not suck, and so far Vanguard sucks.  About the only thing it has going for it is the graphics engine, which isn't really Sigil's anyway, it's Epics.

So far Vanguard has less depth than EQ2, less artistic style than WoW (by miles), poor quests, inflated penalty, leveling and travel difficulty as well as little design applied to usability overall.  In short it's Brad's attempt to bring back his vision of EQ into a world that left EQ behind years ago for all the reasons that are making Vanguard suck now.

Btw SOE taking over Vanguard and exerting more creative control would be the best thing that ever happened to the game.  Why do you think Vanguard went to SoE in the first place?  Because Microsoft's evaluation team saw the writing on the wall and said to Sigil you either fix it or get lost, hence SoE as the only other viable option.   But don't think that SoE is going to let Sigil get away with anything either, they're going to insist the game design direction be fixed.  SoE knows what it takes to keep players which is indicated by the design changes to EQ2 which have brought it back from the dead.

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Stevon
    In order for anyone to make "millions" the game has to not suck, and so far Vanguard sucks.  About the only thing it has going for it is the graphics engine, which isn't really Sigil's anyway, it's Epics.

So far Vanguard has less depth than EQ2, less artistic style than WoW (by miles), poor quests, inflated penalty, leveling and travel difficulty as well as little design applied to usability overall.  In short it's Brad's attempt to bring back his vision of EQ into a world that left EQ behind years ago for all the reasons that are making Vanguard suck now.

LMAO,  you have no clue what your talking about at all.  The graphics are sick, the quest are unique and very well done.  WOW and Artistic style in the same sentenc ?  Are you stupid ?  WOW graphics and art are the most cartoonish shit in the world.  

A game is suppose to be a challenge not something that is easy.  You wanna port everywhere play EQ, you want some gayass cartoon art play WOW.    Oh and less depth ? LMAO the game is in beta IT ISNT EVEN OUT YET.  Your the joke for comparing a game that wont be out for 6 + months to a game that has been out for years.

Originally posted by Markn12
    LMAO,  you have no clue what your talking about at all.  The graphics are sick, the quest are unique and very well done.  WOW and Artistic style in the same sentenc ?  Are you stupid ?  WOW graphics and art are the most cartoonish shit in the world.  

A game is suppose to be a challenge not something that is easy.  You wanna port everywhere play EQ, you want some gayass cartoon art play WOW.    Oh and less depth ? LMAO the game is in beta IT ISNT EVEN OUT YET.  Your the joke for comparing a game that wont be out for 6 + months to a game that has been out for years.

Obviously you haven't played the game.  You also don't seem to understand what artistic style means as right now WoW has the highest artistic quality of any game on the market.  As for the cartoonish design I agree, that's not my preferred look either, however from a quality perspective it's superior to anything out there including Vanguard.

As for challenge you don't understand that either.  Penalty does not equal challenge.  Content quality, scripted encounter quality, these things lead to challenges.  So far Sigil's answer to challenge is to make the penalties steeper.  But luckily at least it's apparent they understand that this isn't going to sell games (since people like you are the vast minority) these things will change.

But how can I argue with someone who's basis for his reasoning is "you are stupid" and "gayness".  Yeah, I'm defeated before I start :/

Originally posted by Stevon

Obviously you haven't played the game.  You also don't seem to understand what artistic style means as right now WoW has the highest artistic quality of any game on the market.  As for the cartoonish design I agree, that's not my preferred look either, however from a quality perspective it's superior to anything out there including Vanguard.

As for challenge you don't understand that either.  Penalty does not equal challenge.  Content quality, scripted encounter quality, these things lead to challenges.  So far Sigil's answer to challenge is to make the penalties steeper.  But luckily at least it's apparent they understand that this isn't going to sell games (since people like you are the vast minority) these things will change.

But how can I argue with someone who's basis for his reasoning is "you are stupid" and "gayness".  Yeah, I'm defeated before I start :/

Obviously if ive played the game I couldnt tell you,  but rest assured all my comments are from experience and not from reviews or screenshots.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489
    They might try to buy VSoH, but it's doubtful they would buy Sigil. Why would SOE invest the cash to buy a company and take on all of it's bad along with the good, when they can just buy the games from them that they like?

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

Originally posted by MX13
    They might try to buy VSoH, but it's doubtful they would buy Sigil. Why would SOE invest the cash to buy a company and take on all of it's bad along with the good, when they can just buy the games from them that they like?

Because its not just Vanguard as the name,  Sigil is part of the name and value of the game.   Just like verant was for EQ.
  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Obviously if ive played the game I couldnt tell you,  but rest assured all my comments are from experience and not from reviews or screenshots.

Well if you have first hand experience you are breaking nda or know someone in beta which broke nda by letting you "play" or watch.
  • MichaelCrMichaelCr Member Posts: 32
    Sigil took its game out of MIcrosofts hand cus they wanted to much control do you really think they are going to hand it over to SOE. SOE is the distributer alot of game dont distribute there own game the have anouther company do it. Brad will not give up his creative ability to anyone this what I think about this and from the Fanfare's I have been to and the info I have gather on the forums I think im right.

• vooweevoovooweevoo Member Posts: 8

All this "SoE this", "Vanguard made me cry that" so I am going to predict its demise a half a year from launch is just going to make you look like a dolt when beta is going along smoothly and it nears release and you realize it's going to rake in 500k-1mil subscribers. Besides the numbers, it's going to be one hell of a community based game to boot, something all these other WoW clones won't be able to touch besides maybe the straight PvP titles. Community + gameplay (if you're still whining about graphics do us all a favor and stand in front of a speeding truck) = win.

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    Just let these guys enjoy their game while they can. They know what danger lurks ahead. If not, they'll know in time.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Bissrok
    Just let these guys enjoy their game while they can. They know what danger lurks ahead. If not, they'll know in time.

wwIII? ::::05::::::18::