Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens to EQ2 after Vanguard?

2»

Comments

• zandwarfzandwarf Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by cdeepal

Originally posted by Acaeus
    Which happens to be the case as the new areas provide better loot, exp, etc.

Not true. Older zones like Lavastorm and Everfrost provide better loot than Sinking Sands (a newer zone), and Splitpaw Saga (the adventure pack) provides the worst loot ever. That is why I don't even go to that zone. So, what you said isn't true.

/agree  The loot comming from Splitpaw was the worse ever.  You couldnt even give that crap away.  The only thing splitpaw was even good for was soloing, and then you can pick up an extra spell or combat art if you finished 4 quest in their.

• AcaeusAcaeus Member Posts: 193

Since I don't own any expand currently don't play the game (or any other MMO), I can only believe what you tell me. But then, why buy the expansions or adventure packs to begin with?

• DeathMutant3DeathMutant3 Member Posts: 67

I recommend that you don't bother with any expansions until you need them.

If you are level 40+ and plan to go beyond level 50 you need  Desert of Flames (DoF). For lower levels, DoF give you some fun voice emotes but otherwise there is not much else for you pre level 40.

If you are level 50+ and plan to go beyond level 60 you need Kingdom of Sky. For lower levels, KoS allows you to accumulate Achievement Points (AP) which allow you to earn new abilities starting at level 20. Technically, you can reach level 70 without DoF but levels 50 through 60 will be tough.

You don't need any of the adventure packs. Very few people go into Bloodline Chronicles anymore, it is mostly for groups and level 30+. Few people go into Splitpaw Saga either but it has some soloable sub-zones and is for level 20+. Fallen Dynasty is for level 50+ but will allow you to reach level 55 without DoF or KoS.

Echoes of Faydwer will add new races, starting cities and other major features but you have a few months to decide on that one.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by lomiller

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    to date, everquest 2 has accumulated over $160 worth of software downloads/expansions in order to have the game in its full content.  since november of 2004, thats quite "insane" as you put it..

If you don’t know, don’t invent numbers it makes you look like a fool when you are called on it.  EQ2 has two $30 expansions.  If you decide to get the adventure packs, and I don’t know a single person who has all three, that’s another $20.  That's $60 or $80 if you decide you want the advenbture packs. 

For new subscribers it's even less because the KoS expansion is bundled with the full game, so you can get the full game and both expansions for less then the cost of WoW or CoH/CoV.  I haven't priced Lineage lately but it wouldn't surprise me if the current cost of EQ2 and both expansions is below the cost of Lineage.

You're right, my math was off.  Let me recalculate it so I dont look so foolish:

Desert of Flame = 29.99

Splitpaw Saga = 7.99

Fallen Dynasty = 7.99

Bloodline Chronicles - 4.99

Kingdom of Sky =29.99

Everquest 2 retail box = 49.99 (verified the price on my box)

Total Price for full content = 130.94 over a time period of 21 months.  Thats 6.23 additional a month. 

thats 21.18 a month total.  EQ2's full content isnt worth 21.18 a month (and FYI, if you're a station all access pass subscriber, yer getting ripped off if yer not playing more then EQ2 and buying non-adventure pack expansions)

im not considering how prices or packages have dropped the price of the game.  Im speaking as someone who has subscribed to EQ2 since january of 2005 and payed retail for everything as it was released.. just like most of you did.

and by saying I dont need any of the above, thats true.. but proves my point even more that they are milking their subscribers for what has been described here as "useless content".  Well, not 100% if you count the action points you get when you bought desert of flames I think it was.. they should have given everyone the ability to use action points

anyway, rock on.  theres nothing anyone can say that can convince me that they dont charge too much for their game. 

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

You're right, my math was off.  Let me recalculate it so I dont look so foolish:
    Desert of Flame = 29.99

Splitpaw Saga = 7.99

Fallen Dynasty = 7.99

Kingdom of Sky =29.99

Total Price for full content = 130.94 over a time period of 21 months.  Thats 6.23 additional a month. 

Desert of Flame = 29.99

Splitpaw Saga = 7.99

Fallen Dynasty = 7.99

Kingdom of Sky =29.99

Desert of Flame = 29.99

Splitpaw Saga = 7.99

Fallen Dynasty = 7.99

Kingdom of Sky =29.99

There currently is *no* retail box.  You buy the KoS expansion for $29.99 and it includes the full game.  

I know you want to include them to try shore up a week point but the adventure packs absolutely do not belong in the required costs to play the game.  You will never, ever loose an opportunity to group for not having them.  People play them as instanced solo content, prearranged groups with friends. They are self contained extras in every sense of the word and it’s completely disingenuous to include them.  

To start playing EQ2 you need to spend $30 on the game and KoS expansion and later on $30 on the DoF expansion.  In comparison, to start playing WoW you need to spend $60 on the game, and soon another $60 on the expansion.

You could also simply get a station pass and get all this content  *and* get other games like EQ1, SWG and Vanguard for less then the monthly totals you have arrived at.

Putting out expansions in a regular and timely fashion is *never* a bad thing no matter how much the FUDsters try and present it.  The complete ineptitude Blizzard, for example, is showing in their ability to produce expansions is rightly considered one of the most serious problems with the game.  Other games inability to come to the table with expansions is in no way black mark against EQ2 it’s a black mark against the companies developing those games.

and by saying I dont need any of the above, thats true.. but proves my point even more that they are milking their subscribers for what has been described here as "useless content".  Well, not 100% if you count the action points you get when you bought desert of flames I think it was.. they should have given everyone the ability to use action points

Where has anyone suggested any content was useless?  There is content that isn’t required but if you want it it’s there and it isn’t produced on the backs of subscribers who are not interested in it.  How is this in any way bad?

anyway, rock on.  theres nothing anyone can say that can convince me that they dont charge too much for their game. 

Of that I have no doubt.  Since you clearly seem more interested in spreading FUD then actually examining the facts I can only conclude you are trying to push some agenda of your own rather then examining the EQ2 cost structure and content delivery. 

When it comes don’t to it, however you are in the position of trying to argue that not releasing new expansions or having massive delays in their release is somehow better the releasing new content and expansions regularly.  At the end of the day it’s pretty clear that this isn’t the case.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    I have to agree 100% in that EQ2 has a lot of content. In WoW I could easily out quest a zone but
    EQ2 I out-level a zone from doing quests even with my xp disabled and
    still have a ton of other minor quests left in my jounal. There is a
    ton of content in EQ2. The only area where they stumbled was the few
    months after luanch where there weren't many quests but right now there
    is a ton of quests without the adventure packs or expansion packs. Add
    in both adventure and expansion packs and you will have a lot to do if
    you are a quest whore like me. Also you don't need the adventure packs at all unless you really want to do those quests invovled the packs.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176
    As a few other people have said...

There is no EQ2 retail box... It always is bundled with KoS now for a price of 20-30 depending on where you buy it.

Desert of Flames is 20-30 also.

Thats 40-60 bucks tops.

As someone else said, you don't need the adv packs. They are there if want some extra content but there is plenty of content without them.

I have to praise SOE as they have done a great job improving this game. They took what was IMO a crappy game at launch and turned it into something great and fun (more than I can say for Blizzard).

I like that Sony releases expansions regularly. It keeps the game fresh (which is my main complaint about WoW they have one expansion in two years (while EQ2 is on number 3 in two years), and most of the "free" content was just end game stuff.)

Writing this post has made me want to come back to EQ2........bye bye SoR..ha

• DeathMutant3DeathMutant3 Member Posts: 67

Not trying to argue with anyone but last week a new product was announced, "Eeverquest ][ Classic", which appears is just the original EQ ][ without any expansions.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646703