Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

the subscription fee

k this is just my input but i think blizzard could lower or get rid of the subscription fee because there rolling in money. apparently "oh its to kepp our servers running" but thats bs 5 million players at 15.95 a month and wow has been active for about 2-3 years u think they would have enough money to support themselves. its a drug and a money waster.

my input

Comments

• JavennJavenn Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I also think they could cut back a little on the fee, maybe not get rid of it because thats the incentive for the devs to make new updates and such...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    more players require more servers. the server cost is really the exact same as every other mmo, besides your not only paying for the servers, your also paying for the new content released every now and then. Blizzard is a company, they work hard to make money. why in heavens name would they lower the cost?

• ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783

Lol uhh

nvm

• AfritAfrit Member Posts: 288
    Why lower the cost of the monthly fee, when they can keep it the same and still keep their members? 

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Gameloading
    , your also paying for the new content released every now and then. 

heh.  really? it's to pay for free patches? 

i wonder how guildwars, anarchy online, shadowbane, games like those manage to not charge monthly fees (not to mention huge games like wc, sc, and diablo).

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• atlaznboiatlaznboi Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by damian7

i wonder how guildwars, anarchy online, shadowbane, games like those manage to not charge monthly fees (not to mention huge games like wc, sc, and diablo).

Guild Wars get their money from L2 and other games I think. Not sure about the other games you've mentioned.
  • IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

The question should be: would you pay to play the above games? The market supports a subscription based model for most mmos. As long as there's a demand for mmos, I don't see subscriptions declining.

Originally posted by pinkavenger9
    apparently "oh its to kepp our servers running" but thats bs 5 million players at 15.95 a month

As Raph Koster explains: Measuring MMOs
    Revenue in general is a tricky thing. People keep taking the 6 or 6.5m users reported by Blizzard and multiplying it by $15 to arrive at astronomical revenue figures. But in practice, they probably only get less than a dollar per user in China. Their partner, The9, only reported total revenue for a quarter at $22m last year; comparing that to the frequently cited figure of “well, take 2m times $15 a month” and you can see the gap. Blizzard also doesn’t get all of the revenue, of course, some of its goes to the partner.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• eldareldar Member Posts: 108

Okay first of most mmorpg's are in the hole for the first and even second year because they take such a huge hit to develope the game that they have to continue charging prices. Overall WoW has such a huge and annoying following that it can demand 16 dollars a month without batting an eye. Want to see your subcription fee go down?

Stop being a fanboy and say NO to over priced games!

RabidEldar
    ----------------------------

Originally posted by eldar

Okay first of most mmorpg's are in the hole for the first and even second year because they take such a huge hit to develope the game that they have to continue charging prices. Overall WoW has such a huge and annoying following that it can demand 16 dollars a month without batting an eye. Want to see your subcription fee go down?

its 15$ a month or else the game will go down to the quality of Tibia and Runescape, or perhaps other free MMO's. take it or leave it.

its 15$ a month or else the game will go down to the quality of Tibia and Runescape, or perhaps other free MMO's. take it or leave it.

guildwars, starcraft, diablo 1&2, archspace, warcraft series, neverwinter nights.   yeah, nothing worth playing for free out there, ever.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

guildwars, starcraft, diablo 1&2, archspace, warcraft series, neverwinter nights.   yeah, nothing worth playing for free out there, ever.

True because all those are also mmor.....oh wait they aren't.

*looks at listing on the side*

you're right, don't see any of those at all over there.  not a one of the games listed involves any rp at all in the slightest. 

guess mmorpg.com is as stupid as i am now, eh?

bravo little lass, bravo.

*looks at listing on the side*

you're right, don't see any of those at all over there.  not a one of the games listed involves any rp at all in the slightest. 

guess mmorpg.com is as stupid as i am now, eh?

wow Damian...just wow. your posts are just amazing

Starcraft, Archspace ,warcraft, NVW are not MMORPG. we're not talking about just ROLEPLAYINGAMES here. we're talking about MMORPG's here. Guild Wars isn't an mmorpg either, but its the closest that will come to an MMORPG. why the heck do you even bring those games up? they aren't mmorpg's.

wow Damian...just wow. your posts are just amazing

Starcraft, Archspace ,warcraft, NVW are not MMORPG. we're not talking about just ROLEPLAYINGAMES here. we're talking about MMORPG's here. Guild Wars isn't an mmorpg either, but its the closest that will come to an MMORPG. why the heck do you even bring those games up? they aren't mmorpg's.

actually, WE were talking about it's crap to have to pay a monthly fee.  i agree that it's crap and i completely support the free games.

emo fest if you desire.

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730
    Blizzard will never lower the monthly subscription fee. They add more content every few months. They are going to offer and expansion at the end of the year. Their costs aren't going down. It cost a lot of money to develop WoW, and it costs a lot to keep it going. Yes, they are making a decent profit now, but that is what companies do.

People in China aren't paying $14.99 US per month, unless they are playing US Accounts.

I think the $15/month is the standard now for new games. I am sure in a year or two it will go up.

• elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342
    I love all the people that complain about paying $14.95 a month for WoW.  These people are generally all for a free market and capitolism, unless it is something that they use.  These are the same people that think it is cool for Lamborghini to charge $250,000 for a car, but cry like little bitches when gas goes up 3 cents a gallon.  Blizzard is a company, companies exist to make money.  Companies incur things called expenses.  Do you think that a magazine like PC Gamer just throws in a WoW ad for something to do, or maybe charges them $50 and calls it good?  They probably get all the rent of all the facilities for free as well, good thing the devs all work for 50 cents below minimum wage and all the cheetos they can eat.  Keep crying about the fee, I have a feeling that they are not planning on changing it ever.
  • frmorrisonfrmorrison Member Posts: 4

k this is just my input but i think blizzard could lower or get rid of the subscription fee because there rolling in money. apparently "oh its to kepp our servers running" but thats bs 5 million players at 15.95 a month and wow has been active for about 2-3 years u think they would have enough money to support themselves. its a drug and a money waster.

You are underestimating upkeep costs.  Running all those servers, and having the power/internet access for each of them adds up.  The subscription free has been a standard 15 dollars for a few years (in all MMOs)
  • CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Go check out NCSoft's last report, they are at a loss as far as GW is concerned.

Shadowbane?, it's dead and was suppose to close down last I heard. You can only function at a loss for so long then you go out of business. Look at all those dialup ISPs that charged way to little and couldn't cover their own costs.

Granted I don't like WoW and all their new content is just more grindy bull crap but not charging is silly. They need to recoup costs for the servers, network, support and such.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

my input

Maybe you should work for free now, you have been working for many years, I think you have enough money to support yourself.

If you are not working, now I understand why you want to get rid of the monthly fee. You don't like P2P, go back to console games.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!