Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race and Gender effecting classes

ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
Well it's been said by NhN and Codemasters that race and gender will effect class choice.

Humans: Archer - Male Only
             Knight - Male Only
             Mage - Female Only

for example, and the Elves are only female all together.

Orc's are pretty much an opposite of humans as far as class/gender choice

what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Comments

• HaZaDHaZaD Member Posts: 43

inovation like everything in those next gen games..
    and i like it coz we rent playing online games nor rpgs
    to find a girlfriend a sexpartner or your greatlove..
    and playing a girl in a rpg isnt gay neither coz its "Roleplaying"

i prefer to play male chars but its ok for me to play as a female role

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Human Knight - Male
    Human Archer - Male
    Human Mage - Female
    Orc Berserker - Male
    Orc Hunter - Female
    Orc Sorcerer - Male
    MoonElf Ranger - Female
    MoonElf Elementalist - Female

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Its a 2 side story for me

on one hand, I'm a little bit dissapointed. I don't like to play with female characters, so my choice is rather limited. on the other hand, it does improve gameplay during the big sieges, as people with low end computers will be able to join as well. I don't really mind a few things, like female knights. thats just silly, female knights don't exist. same for berserker.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    In certain societies, they did, and its a fantasy game, Mages dont *really* exist =)

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Wow.  This actually kills the game for me.  I thought people were saying there would be great customization in AL (unlike L2 and other Korean games)?

To me, the fact that they are locking you into specific gender for specific races and classes tells me that they are trying to severly limit the model/texture combinations they need to deal with.  That tells me that they're not likely to be so free with the customizations.  Hair color, eye color and 3 different faces != "good customization".  ESPECIALLY when you consider that every elf is somehow female and every human mage is as well.  ugh

Originally posted by mlambert890

Wow.  This actually kills the game for me.  I thought people were saying there would be great customization in AL (unlike L2 and other Korean games)?
    To me, the fact that they are locking you into specific gender for specific races and classes tells me that they are trying to severly limit the model/texture combinations they need to deal with.  That tells me that they're not likely to be so free with the customizations.  Hair color, eye color and 3 different faces != "good customization".  ESPECIALLY when you consider that every elf is somehow female and every human mage is as well.  ugh

Actually, some people went ahead and checked the korean version of the game and there does seem to be quite a bit of customization. gender just isn't one of them.

Im going to reserve judgement, but personally, if I cant play a male mage I wont be playing AL unfortunately.  I always play a caster - its just my play style - and there is no way Im playing a female.

It's too bad because certain aspects of the game looked like they could be an interesting distraction for those times Im not in the mood for EQ2.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    i dont care what anyone says, teh moment a game restricts gender to class it is a sign a game isnt worth playing. It is the reason i dont play hero online and most oter korean game. Male and female freedom is the basic need for all MMOs, theres no real reason why class are bound to gender.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• PrumbaPrumba Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I was excited to play this game, but this news has simply killed it for me. Yes, I'm female in RL and yes it seems a little silly about having a female beserker (thus why only men can be the beserker) but that is just silly. If I dion't want to be a mage then darnit I'm not gonna be a mage... and I shouldn't have to play as a male character (although it doesnt bother me that much) just to have fun with a certian class. As for you men out there that dislike playing as female toons, making a hunter female only? That's utter crap.

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    i dont care what anyone says, teh moment a game restricts gender to class it is a sign a game isnt worth playing. It is the reason i dont play hero online and most oter korean game. Male and female freedom is the basic need for all MMOs, theres no real reason why class are bound to gender.

thats just plain bullshit. its not like it has any effect on the  gameplay.
    there actually is a reason why its there. its to get those huge castle sieges work well on everyone's computer. don't bother bringing up Lineage 2. Archlord has more character customization, and for that it sacrifices gender. also, don't bother comparing Archlord to Hero Online. its like day and night. Archlord is a high quality pay to play MMO. hero online is a low quality free to play MMO.
  • niccoli00niccoli00 Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by Gameloading

there actually is a reason why its there. its to get those huge castle sieges work well on everyone's computer. don't bother bringing up Lineage 2. Archlord has more character customization, and for that it sacrifices gender. also, don't bother comparing Archlord to Hero Online. its like day and night. Archlord is a high quality pay to play MMO. hero online is a low quality free to play MMO.

Pretty sad way of working out that problem tho.  What it tells me is tho you might be able to customize your character skill sets, visually everyone will look the same.

They easily could have made it so you had an option as one of the races to get a combo that lets you play your gender as you want.  The siege system better be pretty damn amazing to make up for the excuse of limiting class / gender.

I think limiting class / gender could work in an MMO, just not with one with so few choices. 

Niccoli

I totally agree with the sentiment that gender shouldnt be tied to class.  Any kind of rationalization for it seems pretty thin.  And really, Ive known women that, Im not ashamed to say, could probably kick my ass, so I dont think theres anything unrealistic about female meleers.  Many cultures have had women warriors in times before firearms were invented.  And as for magic, why would magic be gender based? 

Maybe there could be an interesting twist where women and men somehow did magic *differently* in some subtle way, but the only REAL reason I can imagine the Korean games do this is to limit the texture/model combinations.  It goes back to the fact that most Asian MMOs are really going for a different type of game than the western ones - they're more focused on the large-scale PVP aspect - sort of like a FPS/RTS hybrid.  That makes sense when you consider how MASSIVELY popular RTS games are in Asia.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Gameloading

What it tell sme is the depth i can look forward to on release. Whether you concider it bullshit or not, games that follow the trend of limited character costumization also follow the trend of level + gear > skill. It means this game will be very limited, and i am not here to convert you, you can belive this game will be great, with its embedded ige payment system and all, but this game will prove it self come september. And hero and archlord are more like dawn and noon, then day and night, way more alike then you want to admit with enough differences and a big company behind it to make it p2p.

Lineage 2 had castle seiges, they also had male and female for all classes and races, and unique animations for male and female for every race, voices, and wide scale castle sieges. And Lineage graphiccs arent one to be taken lightly. So i guess your sacraficing for preformance theory has een shot to shit.

The fact that character devolpment isnt enough to detour you from this game shows that you do not ask for much thus you will accept whatever is thrown at you. Personally i expect much more from a game that is asking me to pay them monthly, simple avatar devolopment is something that we should be demanding at this point, it is the reason why games like heros journey, age of conan, and even vangaurd will succeed.

You read about those games and you can see the depth, and the character devolopment, and the wolrd devolopment invovled, and a chance for immersion. There will be zero imerssion in archlord, for the archlord will be the people with the biggest wallet and the fewest real life responsibilities. There will be no ingame skill required since real money will in the prove who will controll the game

Hero online and archlord have simular payment setups, like most korean games, execpt hero online is free with the option to buy things, archlord is shooting big but in the end it will just end up like hero online, free with a paystop system.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• b3g0rb3g0r Member Posts: 32
    For me the only prob is the nick name i use :/

its a male one and i use this over 10 years now in any game non mmo or mmo

who cares if the game rocks ill find another one or just choose a male toon but FFS moon elfs only females that really sucks..

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187

Seems like a bad idea to me.  I could see a few things, such as a specific god/goddess or whatever requiring it's priests to be male/female only, or male only beserkers, etc.  If they're doing that to cut corners on graphics, I'm not impressed, as that would only make me wonder what else they are going to cut corners on...

If they're doing it because of some bizarre gender stereotyping, I'm still not impressed.  Sounds cheesy any way I look at it.