Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming back to DAoC...

OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207
Hello all.  I've been searching for a new (relatively speaking) MMO to venture to before WAR comes out.  I tried DAoC way back when and didn't like it (I got hit hard by the leveling grind) and wanted to know if it's worth trying out again until WAR?

Key features I'm looking for:

One, is it fun (I'm talking about classic servers too).  If so, what, to you, makes it fun?  Since this is a subjective term I'd need it layed out.

Two, are there people to play with?

Three, what's the leveling grind like?  Is it easy?  Hard?  Neutral?  A /played for hitting 50 would be nice...

Four, what's the power regen like?  Still horribly long?

And, finally, once hitting 50, how hard is it to "gear up" so you are a challenge in a fight.

I'm planning on, if I come back, playing one of the various mage classes, so it'd also be nice to know which mage class, in your opinion, is the "best" for dealing unrivaled damage, and if it can also compete.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164
    We just came back less than 2 weeks ago, and its like a whole new game. We started up on Garreth, Hiberia and are enjoying it.  Leveling and getting gear along the way is a lot easier than it used to be and the battlegrounds make it easier to take some "PVP breaks" along the way.

They have things like tinderboxes that drop off humanoid mobs, and basically they are designed to speed up regens. They are useful for groups and solo folks.

If you decide on Garreth, Hiberia look us up.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    You can get to 50 in 72 hours.  That would not be a viable option starting off with a new account though. Assuming you take BG breaks you are looking at 144-240 hours played to get to level 50 depending on how long you spend in the BG and what methods you use for leveling.  The time I give you do not even assume you will have a group.  With a good group, you can always decrease the time to get to level 50.  BTW you also get a free level at least every 7 days assuming you earned a level in that time.  

• unholy414unholy414 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    You can get to 50 in 72 hours.  That would not be a viable option starting off with a new account though. Assuming you take BG breaks you are looking at 144-240 hours played to get to level 50 depending on how long you spend in the BG and what methods you use for leveling.  The time I give you do not even assume you will have a group.  With a good group, you can always decrease the time to get to level 50.  BTW you also get a free level at least every 7 days assuming you earned a level in that time.  

Whoa, I  soloed a mana specced eld in task dungeons to 50 in two weeks and thought that was an achievement. Are you talking solo or grouped?
  • OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207
    Alright, most of my questions were answered, it seems.  Now comes the hard part.  Deciding on which realm/class...

I like the necro/heretic concept, but the warlock looks cool, the vampiir as well, and the wizard, so now I'll be stuck deciding on that before I decide upon rejoining.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys.

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

I found the PVE part of the game mind-numbingly dull (and annoying, for example you have to keep typing random words to scroll through quest text), it seems that the primary PVE activity is just powerleveling. There really doesn't seem to be much to the PVE side of the game, it's basically get the appropriate expansion, go to the super-power-level dungeons, and start repeating a pattern over and over for weeks. If you don't play on a classic server, then you get to follow your power-leveling up with raiding.

The RvR might be good, but it's not worth thousands of dollars for it, and I could make thousands of dollars by spending multiple ful-time weeks doing something boring rather than grinding some character to cap.

• BoozekBoozek Member Posts: 110

*hands pantastic a cookie*

I'd love to see levels in a game where only the uber could move on. new concept but hell might be nice to just munch on folks that slam things for the sake of slamming an event.

I'm not ubah at all in DaoC I just play it casually. If I could find the time between games wanna RvR? I reserve hib, no mention of my class but email each other and set up a duel date? let others on the forums know the oputcome is my only wish....if you kick my sorry asterix they know. If I win then you are exposed as the retard know it all yopu think you are :)

So nice seeing people trying to turn other people away from a product...

• BoozekBoozek Member Posts: 110
    pantastic trolls alot. I lub the game and honestly I'd make a new hib eld to meet her/him/it. myeldkicks uber people here enuff. no need for that kinda firepower against a troll
    5 bucks funny money says you can kill him with a level 5 eldritch.

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

Originally posted by OnyxBMW
    So nice seeing people trying to turn other people away from a product...

Yes, I feel so terrible for giving someome honest feedback about a game. What kind of sick bastard I must be to want to enable people to make an informed decision about a game! I obviously would be a much better person if I just told people that every game is great and let them spend money to find out it's not for them! Obviously when people ask for information about a game, they just want to hear that it's the best thing since sliced bread, they don't want people to talk about good and bad points!

On a non-sarcastic note, I do find it fascinating that when I asked 'how is DAOC PVE' initially, everyone told me that it was great, it wasn't a burden to just rush through to get to the end. Then later when I said I was finding it boring I asked for advice, and all I got was advice on rushing through it ASAP and people telling me that DAOC is about RvR and that the PVE is pretty weak.

Originally posted by Boozek
    I'm not ubah at all in DaoC I just play it casually. If I could find the time between games wanna RvR? I reserve hib, no mention of my class but email each other and set up a duel date? let others on the forums know the oputcome is my only wish....if you kick my sorry asterix they know. If I win then you are exposed as the retard know it all yopu think you are :)

Ahh yes, it makes perfect sense to challenge people to a duel to settle a forum dispute! Obviously, if someone loses 1 duel in any game out there, they're just a 'retard know it all'. All you need to do to win an argument is to challenge someone to a duel in a game they don't play. Don't bother with anything silly like refuting their points, providing counterarguments, or anything like that. Just set up a duel and YOU WIN!

Oh well, it's not like I expect logic from people who seriously believe that posting something other than 'this game is great' means you're a troll.

Originally posted by unholy414

Originally posted by JulianDracos

Whoa, I  soloed a mana specced eld in task dungeons to 50 in two weeks and thought that was an achievement. Are you talking solo or grouped?

If you are talking about the 72 hours, that assumes one of the following options: being powerlevled, being botted, or playing the right character class and knowing exactly where to go.  TD, in general, are the best places to go, but certainly are not the best XP per time.  A Chanter with PbAoE, or an animist for example would be much quicker at soloing.

Further, the time I am talking about is /played not days in real life.  One person can do 72 hours in one sitting, another person might take 2 months.

If you are talking about the other time, that is what I have on most of my level 50's since Catacombs.  One character I soled, the other ones I have duoed.  Two of the toons are starting at level 1, the rest are /level.  All using /level has saved me is maybe 12-16 hours of play time. 

Originally posted by Pantastic

I found the PVE part of the game mind-numbingly dull (and annoying, for example you have to keep typing random words to scroll through quest text), it seems that the primary PVE activity is just powerleveling. There really doesn't seem to be much to the PVE side of the game, it's basically get the appropriate expansion, go to the super-power-level dungeons, and start repeating a pattern over and over for weeks. If you don't play on a classic server, then you get to follow your power-leveling up with raiding.
    The RvR might be good, but it's not worth thousands of dollars for it, and I could make thousands of dollars by spending multiple ful-time weeks doing something boring rather than grinding some character to cap.

On most quests, you can simply click the word in the text to go on.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the super power level dungeons unless you are talking about instances.  The two dungeons people go to most of the time came with the original game.  Well one with the original and another one was a free patch. 

You can level as quickly doing quests and avoiding TD if you want.

Getting to 50 ASAP is a mistake.  You need to go earn realm ranks prior to 50 in the BG.