Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG's new "Autoaim" feature is crap.

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Well I have my AAP reactivated because I'm playing EQ2 and PlanetSide again so, naturally, I have access to SWG so I decided to give this vaunted new "autoaim" a try to see how it feels when playing.  Even with re-mapping my 7 button mouse in order to use the feature more easily it is STILL a clunky ass combat interface... not one that is any fun using to be sure.  In order to use the auto-aim and auto-fire features you have to use 3 keypresses (or mousebutton clicks) a 4th to use any special you have selected because you STILL have to 'designate' a special then trigger it with the 'right click' feature.  If anything the new autoaim/safety/autofire feature just makes the combat system even more horrid.     (Oh.. and this particular gripe is aimed squarely at SOE... who the hell thought  this garbage up?)

Oh and the server populations that 'fans' of the game keep saying are going up?

Last night, 9pm US Eastern:
8 servers on "Medium" none on heavy or higher. All the rest on "Light" 

(I think they got rid of the 'very light' designation).

All that said... JTL still kicks arse :)  Had some fun blowing up badguys in space before I logged out... have to admit I missed space combat a bit.

EQ2... on the other hand.... over half the servers on Heavy+ and none under Medium.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Elnator
    Well I have my AAP reactivated because I'm playing EQ2 and PlanetSide again so, naturally, I have access to SWG so I decided to give this vaunted new "autoaim" a try to see how it feels when playing.  Even with re-mapping my 7 button mouse in order to use the feature more easily it is STILL a clunky ass combat interface... not one that is any fun using to be sure.  In order to use the auto-aim and auto-fire features you have to use 3 keypresses (or mousebutton clicks) a 4th to use any special you have selected because you STILL have to 'designate' a special then trigger it with the 'right click' feature.  If anything the new autoaim/safety/autofire feature just makes the combat system even more horrid.  

All that said... JTL still kicks arse :)  Had some fun blowing up badguys in space before I logged out... have to admit I missed space combat a bit.

Not one bit of that is true

A. You only have to aim on your target or tab to it . And hit your auto fire .The auto aim is a toggle it stays on once you engage it .
    B. You do not have to use a special on your mouse . If you have fire from toolbar active . You can hot key your specials , mine are default 1234567890-=. press it and it fires no second action required.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Well I have my AAP reactivated because I'm playing EQ2 and PlanetSide again so, naturally, I have access to SWG so I decided to give this vaunted new "autoaim" a try to see how it feels when playing.  Even with re-mapping my 7 button mouse in order to use the feature more easily it is STILL a clunky ass combat interface... not one that is any fun using to be sure.  In order to use the auto-aim and auto-fire features you have to use 3 keypresses (or mousebutton clicks) a 4th to use any special you have selected because you STILL have to 'designate' a special then trigger it with the 'right click' feature.  If anything the new autoaim/safety/autofire feature just makes the combat system even more horrid.  

A. You only have to aim on your target or tab to it . And hit your auto fire .The auto aim is a toggle it stays on once you engage it .
    B. You do not have to use a special on your mouse . If you have fire from toolbar active . You can hot key your specials , mine are default 1234567890-=. press it and it fires no second action required.

Actually, it all true and very much to the point.  I am sorry your standards are so low, but the rest of expect an autoaim that actually works.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

At least you could try it. I downloaded the trial 2 days ago to try it, my game crashed everytime I toggled auto-aim or I opened my character sheet. When I played it was at about uhh 4am EST, after I got home from work. All but 5 servers were on Very Light, the others were on Light. That is expected at 4AM in the morning, Im just clarifiying that "Very Light" status is still there.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Rabia

Actually, it all true and very much to the point.  I am sorry your standards are so low, but the rest of expect an autoaim that actually works.

Why can't there be an add ignore function ? Keep trolling my posts fan-boi.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

Well I have my AAP reactivated because I'm playing EQ2 and PlanetSide again so, naturally, I have access to SWG so I decided to give this vaunted new "autoaim" a try to see how it feels when playing.  Even with re-mapping my 7 button mouse in order to use the feature more easily it is STILL a clunky ass combat interface... not one that is any fun using to be sure.  In order to use the auto-aim and auto-fire features you have to use 3 keypresses (or mousebutton clicks) a 4th to use any special you have selected because you STILL have to 'designate' a special then trigger it with the 'right click' feature.  If anything the new autoaim/safety/autofire feature just makes the combat system even more horrid.     (Oh.. and this particular gripe is aimed squarely at SOE... who the hell thought  this garbage up?)

EQ2... on the other hand.... over half the servers on Heavy+ and none under Medium.

I played for several hours yesterday and did not experience the problems you have. I rebinded my keys and got it pretty close to how I played pre NGE. Here is my set up:

RMB (mouse 2) = move towards curser
    MMB (mouse 3) = cycle target out
    Tab =  cycle target in (rarely used)
    LMB = Start Auto Attack
    Space Bar = toggle auto aim ( only used once in a play session, I don't toggle back and forth)

Also I have "fire specials from toolbar" selected.

So I can run around, select and cycle through targets and start auto attack all using the mouse. The select my specials from the keyboard, or I can switch curser modes and click on specials when I don't have to run around during combat..

The only thing I dislike is using another key "~" to bring up radial menus. This use to me MMB for me. I guess I could buy a new mouse with more buttons.
  • almagillalmagill Member Posts: 279
    Hope they have more luck implementing their auto-aim than they've had today with their auto-blame.

It had to be said.

So, you all sat in camps and that was fun?

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by almagill
    Hope they have more luck implementing their auto-aim than they've had today with their auto-blame.

It had to be said.

LOL what was with that meltdown anyway?

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by Zaush

I played for several hours yesterday and did not experience the problems you have. I rebinded my keys and got it pretty close to how I played pre NGE. Here is my set up:

RMB (mouse 2) = move towards curser
    MMB (mouse 3) = cycle target out
    Tab =  cycle target in (rarely used)
    LMB = Start Auto Attack
    Space Bar = toggle auto aim ( only used once in a play session, I don't toggle back and forth)

Also I have "fire specials from toolbar" selected.

So I can run around, select and cycle through targets and start auto attack all using the mouse. The select my specials from the keyboard, or I can switch curser modes and click on specials when I don't have to run around during combat..

The only thing I dislike is using another key "~" to bring up radial menus. This use to me MMB for me. I guess I could buy a new mouse with more buttons.

I'll try something similar to this and see how it goes.

What agbout that 'preferred target' crap?  How do you deal with that?  It kept screwing me up.

Sig image Pending

• SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

I have to honestly ask,

And this combat system is better from cu or pre-cu how?

seriously, here you all are discussing how to use a feature that was sound before all of this silliness. now you have to resort to remappig your mouse/keyboards to "enjoy" this new replacement for what NGE was supposed to NOT need.

• EloricEloric Member Posts: 5

Greetings!

I'm a lurker here, reading everything that has been going on.  I have played from day 1 and left SWG back in February after giving the NGE a try.  The game just wasn't for me.

With this new patch though, a friend of mine went back and enjoyed it.  Instead of resubscribing I decided to download the trial and try it out.

I have to agree with Elnator.  This auto aim is very clunky.  On top of that I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get it to work.  Every time I've turned on the auto aim, the game crashes......every single time.  Its happened in the station with Han and on the Gamma station as well.  On the newbie station, I received a new pistol everytime I rebooted from the crash and ended up having 3 issued pistols by the end.

As for the population, I didn't count but there were some with Medium and the rest were Light.  That was the totals at 8:30 cst this evening.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Rabia

I'm with Rabia on this.  I was very much looking forward tot he autoaim, as I have a very hard time with the whole manual deal.  But it seems to me that the autoaim is even harder on my fingers and wrists than trying to keep up with the cracked-out mobs manually.  It doesn't autoattack at all, only autotargets, no matter how I map the keys. 

So I'm left with a series of extra keystrokes in addition to the already (literally) painful holding down of the mousebutton, movement control and specials-firing (not optional, btw, since most of your damage comes from specials and the default attack is so weak).

I've gone back to near-exclusively playing my crafter, since at this point my ents are no longer any fun at all (since the majority of the live ent community has been steadily either respeccing out or just outright quitting).

It's awkward, counterintuitive and not in the least bit helpful.  Yet another bolloxed attempt.  They really need to go back to the old combat.  Hell, even CU was better than this crap.

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

The whole game in general sucks...

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by hargrave

The whole game in general sucks...

Why does everyone thing sucking is bad?  With skilled people it can be very good!  It is too bad SOE/SWG isn't very good.
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Obraik's guide to 2 click auto-fire:

Step 1.  Open you options menu and click Keymap.  Go to the UI tab and assign "Toggle repeat auto-attack" to the left mouse button.  Change "toggle auto-aim" to X or whatever, once you turn it on it doesn't turn off until you press it again (it's on if you have the blue and white disk).

Step 2.  Click the UI tab.  Change "Select target and summon radial" to the right mouse button.  In combat when you right click it'll select the target and if you hold it down or press it again it'll bring up the radial menu.

Step 3.  Put a tick beside "Actions can be fired from the toolbar" which is found towards the bottom of the window.

So, with this first you press whatever your toggle key is for auto-aim, press it and forget about it.  To select a target you can either press Tab or you can right click it and then to start shooting it, left click.  Once you've done that, press your special hotkeys as needed and they'll fire as you press each key.

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by Obraik

Obraik's guide to 2 click auto-fire:
    Step 1.  Open you options menu and click Keymap.  Go to the UI tab and assign "Toggle repeat auto-attack" to the left mouse button.  Change "toggle auto-aim" to X or whatever, once you turn it on it doesn't turn off until you press it again (it's on if you have the blue and white disk).
    Step 2.  Click the UI tab.  Change "Select target and summon radial" to the right mouse button.  In combat when you right click it'll select the target and if you hold it down or press it again it'll bring up the radial menu.
    Step 3.  Put a tick beside "Actions can be fired from the toolbar" which is found towards the bottom of the window.
    So, with this first you press whatever your toggle key is for auto-aim, press it and forget about it.  To select a target you can either press Tab or you can right click it and then to start shooting it, left click.  Once you've done that, press your special hotkeys as needed and they'll fire as you press each key.

So, while I think it doesn't solve the underlying problem..... it is to bad SOE didn't suggest it.  But then again, it is too much reading I suppose for SOE to be bothered.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Is anyone really surprised by this?  I present unto you $OE's 5-step NGE development plan:

1) Take something that actually still works in-game (oh, like target lock for example)

2) Remove it because it isn't "star warsy", "iconic", or some similar nonsensical excuse

3) Listen to the masses protest yet another stupid move by $OE

4) $OE giveth back that which they had taketh away, yet it takes more effort to get it to work without actually working as well as it previously did (oh, like target lock for example)

5) Wonder why the players aren't happy

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

Obraik LOL u should join the TGR crew they like to do SOE'S work for them to.

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• poizenviperpoizenviper Member Posts: 67

I got it down now, here is what i do.

I play a  game that works! and its not swg.  good god, how many times are they going to redo this game , hey smed its about time to flush this terd.

• drainoglassdrainoglass Member Posts: 35
    Just to add Players are double stacked with there expertise. Not in points, its a in game bug, some players are unbeatble in a /duel and dish out way too much dmg.
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Unreal Tournament 2008 published by SOE

With completely inovative features, mind-boggingly advanced, such as:

Manual aim:

-- Press "(" key
    -- Use cursors to aim
    -- Press "F" or "|" keys to lock on target
    -- Use mouse to click on specials to fire
    -- Press "&" to change weapon

Spawn camping

-- Now there's no more need to chase your opponents down narrow corridors. Just wait for them where they spawn, there will now be only one spawn spot

Death penalty

-- People will now suffer 20% reduction in health and damage they deal after each death
    -- There is currently no way to remove death penalty

Increased performance

-- Most maps will now be able to handle up to 4 concurrent players

(Broadband connection required, available only with 1024kbit upstream, requires < 30ms ping)

We're breaking completely new grounds of gameplay here, and are extremly happy with progress. We expect are die hard fans to apreciate the efforts we're putting into this, and making the game more enjoyable for them.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Yup the new auto aim feature is crap.

Only fanbois seem to defend it

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Yup the new auto aim feature is crap.

Only fanbois seem to defend it

Personally, I use the NGE style combat since I'm used to it ;)

Ok I monkeyed with this last night and got it back to working (for me) exactly how it did before NGE.  Thanks for the tips to those who took the time.  They helped me figure out how to fix this.

Pre-setup:  Un Map all mouse buttons on the "target" tab.
    1) Mapped cycle target out to TAB
    2) Mappeed cycle target in to Shift-Tab
    3) Mapped select target and summon radial to left mouse button  (This was the one I couldn't find till Obraik mentioned he maps it to Mouse2)
    4) Turned off the 'secondary fire' option completely (normally mapped to mouse 2, all it seems to do is fire specials)
    5) Turned on 'fire specials from toolbar'
    6) Mapped "Toggle Autoattack" to the Z key (Where I had it pre-NGE)

It's not mapped to the mouse but it is almost exactly how things were pre-NGE

I select my target with the Tab key (or with left mouse button)
    I toggle my attack mode "on" with Z
    I fire specials with the keyboard

It is truely ridiculous that I had to re-map 6 things to get it right though but it does work.

Didn't get to play long this way but it seemed ok.

Still not real happy with the whole '9 professions' mess but the "fanboi's" are correct... you can get combat back to the way it was pre-NGE if you can figure out what you want mapped where.   I wasn't looking for 1 handed combat I just wanted pre-NGE combat back... which I seem to have accomplished...

I'll let ya know if I find the gameplay decent or not.  Not really expecting much.  But, so far, if you can get past the 'skill system is gone' it looks like the game has actually been moved a long way back towards Pre-NGE. 

I do think SOE needs to add a 'custom setup' that automaps everything so that your interface is the same as it was in "classic SWG".  Maybe.... hmmm... name the autoconfig setting... "Classic"  or something massively original like that.

Sig image Pending

What profession did you pick for your new character, El?

I know it's not the same as what was there pre-nge, but if you pick BH or Jedi you'll get expertise points every 5 levels (I think, might be 10) that allow you to spend on a bunch of various things to improve on your skills and abilities.

Originally posted by Obraik

What profession did you pick for your new character, El?
    I know it's not the same as what was there pre-nge, but if you pick BH or Jedi you'll get expertise points every 5 levels (I think, might be 10) that allow you to spend on a bunch of various things to improve on your skills and abilities.

Well I'm playing my CL80 BH on Lowca, found out a bunch of my old guildmates are back too so hanging with them while I try the game out again... I haven't found the expertise points yet... gonna have to check the keymappings to see how to bring them up.

Sig image Pending