Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO has no future

The title describes UO's biggest flaw quite clearly. EA will never make the game F2P, thus you'll never get any sort of massive player influx, because lord knows the UO dev team doesn't know how to churn out an expansion to save their lives (or their game). Playing UO now is like riding a sinking ship with blinders on, you just try to ignore the water level creeping up your ankles.

With the massive circumcision of their playerbase, prettier games coming out, and the lack of any serious dev team, what fate is left for UO but a painful death?

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

UO has been on cruise control for about 5 years ago. The game is very old and outdated. Game play may still be great in it but it is at the end of its sellability.

I am not sure what you would expect from any company to do with it at this point. Everyone should be enjoying UO 2 right now, however EA canned that along with UOX.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• dinanm3atldinanm3atl Member Posts: 215
    wow its not just graphics that make the game
    UO has the ULTIMATE view for playing that type of game....
    i personally HATE the interface in EQ...

putting the game back to the 1997-1999 era and keeping the same graphics... advertise the heck out of it and the LAGFEST that was the Britain bank would return in ALL its glory!!!

Old Skool Ultima Online Junky
    Bring back the OLD UO so I can play again

Originally posted by dinanm3atl
    wow its not just graphics that make the gameUO has the ULTIMATE view for playing that type of game....i personally HATE the interface in EQ...putting the game back to the 1997-1999 era and keeping the same graphics... advertise the heck out of it and the LAGFEST that was the Britain bank would return in ALL its glory!!!

Sorry, changing it back to pre-trammel is not going to change the playerbase anymore. UO killed themselves many ways. Some in customer service, some with accepting emulators AND pushing bad service which will obviously drive people to a free alternative.

Shadowbane is just another example of how everything THINKS hardcore PvP sells MMO's but really it is only a niche. Even in EVE there is an overly large chunk of players that stay in secure space because they don't want to deal with the PvP.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

The other day i was like "hay, i miss Ultima 7",
    so i tryed this....

It was a mistake, I log in, went on my first quest...and could not find where
    to go because apparently the entire world if covered by player housing... I
    must have gone into about 20 houses looking for that dam quest NPC, only to finally
    realized this wasn’t the town i was looking for.... it was just a bunch of
    player housing owned by such players as "Lord Skeedoo", and
    "Miss flufflyblue".

The true NPC town was 2 shoddy buildings just in the center of this massive
    town smack dab in noobvile.

I did not finish the quest, i unsubed after about an hour, maybe 45 min.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I once did a few days back to UO in 2004 or so and man its ultima city.I used to recall some isolated ice places i used to go to kill orcs and live dangerously.All i could see was houses everywhere.I mean come on this is suppose to be medival times .I don't think there was one large city stretching from london to glasgow in ancient britain for instance .Heck there is no such thing even now.

They let the housing thing go out of control .

Originally posted by hercules
    I once did a few days back to UO in 2004 or so and man its ultima city.I used to recall some isolated ice places i used to go to kill orcs and live dangerously.All i could see was houses everywhere.I mean come on this is suppose to be medival times .I don't think there was one large city stretching from london to glasgow in ancient britain for instance .Heck there is no such thing even now.

I know the place you are referring to I think and they were always that way on Atlantic. It was the best place to try to get a house in because it was so flat. And I played ohHhh, about a year after it's release. Perhaps on whatever server you were on that place hadn't caught on yet.

- Scaris

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by hercules

I know the place you are referring to I think and they were always that way on Atlantic. It was the best place to try to get a house in because it was so flat. And I played ohHhh, about a year after it's release. Perhaps on whatever server you were on that place hadn't caught on yet.

LOL Atlantic had every possible spot for a house covered within months of the game going live... LOL!!!!  My house was out in the middle of the woods in a REALLY remote location and even there I had 2 or three neighbors that found small spots of their own.  Urban sprawl is a HUGE problem in UO.... Not so bad on the *cough* unnoficial shards though.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

EA may have bought UO a future... evidently Mythic is going to work with the UO team on some kind of project involving UO.

I honestly hope they aren't tagging resources from the WAR team.. .(doubt it)... I suspect, however, that the project will kick off after WAR's release and involve mostly DAOC and former Imperator team members as once WAR goes live most folks expect Mythic to put DAOC into maintenance mode.

Sig image Pending

• zeihzeih Member Posts: 1
    I so agree that ultima online is doomed! I mean a old game that for the last years has had no changes if you don't coun't with the expansion pack, that in my opinion don't bring nothing interesting and a 3d client that is basicly the same has the 2d... I've been playing it almost since it came out but normaly I play for like one month and then I get bored and don't play it for months and months. If they want ultima online to survive they should sooner or later release something like ultima online 2 with new GUI and a hole new game maps, items, characters, game play and up to date graphics.
  • vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65
      WHAT happened to UO 2 ???,  this game deserves to be brought into the modern era of graphics and gameplay, the great ideas and content should not be put to rest with a slowly dying nearly 10 year old game. The fact the a UO2 would compete with UO for subs would be a moot point if they actually made  the UO2, EVERYONE from the original would be there in a heartbeat (and a good portion of every other games players).  They can bring the game into the real world now because its not like the old days where 1/2 or more of thier player base was playing the game on systems that barely made the minimum requirements (reminds the UO team that nearly every gamer has a capable system these days).
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    It's honestly sad to see UO die off like this.  I mean, why didn't EQ give up like UO did?  They both had ugly graphics, but EQ upgraded a bit...UO did nothing.  I'm sure if they made a new UO with better graphics, the game would sell.  Most of the oldies would come back and plus new people.  I don't know what EA is thinking, to be honest.  The game has so much potential even today, why don't they do anything with it?  I know alot of people say that graphics doesn't matter. . .but it does to an extent.  UO with new graphics would make it so much fun to play. . .give it a titan quest graphics, or make it 3d like EQ did with EQ2.

I miss UO. . .but I lost pity for it.  The game is dead and its sad to see it in this stage.  I will always have a spot in my heart for this game, but it's not the fun it used to be.  And to be honest. . .I blame it on it's outdated system.

Long live UO: The Second Age

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Global_InferGlobal_Infer Member Posts: 23
    I just wish UO 2 had come into existance, as UO has a very special place in my heart, what with it being my first ever MMO. Introduced to me via a work colleage and it was just amazing.. I remember spending hours being guided around this fantastic guy who was quite happy to spend 6 or 7 hours of his gametime per day, just showing me the ropes! Oh and then came the world PvP with the city stones and factions etc... Possibly the MOST enjoyable style of PvP I have ever done, if ONLY WoW/EQII had a similar system.. (And wake up to the fact that instanced PvP is nothing more than a deathmatch) 

Originally posted by Global_Infer
    I just wish UO 2 had come into existance, as UO has a very special place in my heart, what with it being my first ever MMO. Introduced to me via a work colleage and it was just amazing.. I remember spending hours being guided around this fantastic guy who was quite happy to spend 6 or 7 hours of his gametime per day, just showing me the ropes! Oh and then came the world PvP with the city stones and factions etc... Possibly the MOST enjoyable style of PvP I have ever done, if ONLY WoW/EQII had a similar system.. (And wake up to the fact that instanced PvP is nothing more than a deathmatch) 

UO 2 was slated to be nothing like UO 1 and more along the lines of Everquest 1.

- Scaris

• Global_InferGlobal_Infer Member Posts: 23
    I can still dream can't I!?

Originally posted by Global_Infer
    imageI can still dream can't I!?

We all do ::::38::

- Scaris

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    We just need EA to stop being lazy about the game and actually do something with it than just release pointless expansions after anoth.  Samurais....Ninjas......ELVES?  comeon EA, this isn't UO.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by MaeEye
    We just need EA to stop being lazy about the game and actually do something with it than just release pointless expansions after anoth.  Samurais....Ninjas......ELVES?  comeon EA, this isn't UO.

Not sure what the plans are but on the UO official site they've announced that Mythic is going to be helping with some kind of UO Project.... maybe they are finally going to do a sequel...

Sig image Pending

• Ummagummas08Ummagummas08 Member Posts: 1
    So fucking sad about this game. This is the ONLY game I would consider an MMORPG, because it was so easy to actually RP in this game!! And sure all the other stuff was great too. Personally I think all of these new 3d games are hard to immerse yourself in because their just so ugly.

Everything went downhill when EA bought Origin, or whatever the fuck happened, why doesnt anyone give a shit about the players in this game anymore, and just about the money in their pockets, it costs about 12$ a month now, and all these expansions just to play are ridiculous!

What EA needs to do is open their eyes to how fucking incredible this game is, instead of working on these other shitty ass games, and stop begging these people for money.

This is the only game I could even consider playing at this point, does anyone know of any good Player run shards that still have PLAYERS on them?
  • aplannaaplanna Member Posts: 7
    I had to disagree of the most of you, UO, is the best mmorpg ever made, the only game whatever you want whem you want and for your own porpouse, noting like the oder mmorpgs (i like very oders) but you have ifinite possibilities, not only kill, kill, kill, about all the mmorpgs i ever playing, UO is the olnly who alow me to chose do what i realy want to do.(sorry about the english)
  • LinchpinLinchpin Member Posts: 82

UO has been on cruise control for about 5 years ago. The game is very old and outdated. Game play may still be great in it but it is at the end of its sellability.
    I am not sure what you would expect from any company to do with it at this point. Everyone should be enjoying UO 2 right now, however EA canned that along with UOX.

You also forgot to mention they canned Earth and Beyond, Motor City Online ( both with subscribers) and sued a cripple guy for 14.8 million $ for having a website explaining how EA needs to burn in a pit of fire...

So yeah... enjoy the EA products.

Originally posted by Linchpin

You also forgot to mention they canned Earth and Beyond, Motor City Online ( both with subscribers) and sued a cripple guy for 14.8 million $ for having a website explaining how EA needs to burn in a pit of fire...

So yeah... enjoy the EA products.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'cripple' guy but they also cancelled MPBT 3025.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with DAOC now that they have that title under their thumb.... (Not to mention WAR).

Sig image Pending

Originally posted by Elnator
    I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'cripple' guy but they also cancelled MPBT 3025.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with DAOC now that they have that title under their thumb.... (Not to mention WAR).

Come on El, that was BEFORE EA had a real MMO title. Now that they have a real position in the MMO industry they are going to take it and their customers so much more seriously. *rolls his eyes after trying to say that with a straight face*

Mythic will become another SOE in time now, just give it awhile.

- Scaris

• TanglorTanglor Member Posts: 8

I played UO for 3 Years and have a lot of fond memories of it...... But I agree it has been on cruise control for a while now, and my faith in their ability to make a sequel is pretty low after all the other sequel part 2's were canceled.  Still was good while it lasted

Originally posted by Elnator

Come on El, that was BEFORE EA had a real MMO title. Now that they have a real position in the MMO industry they are going to take it and their customers so much more seriously. *rolls his eyes after trying to say that with a straight face*

Mythic will become another SOE in time now, just give it awhile.

No... Mythic will become another Origin in time.... as in.... gone.  EA will give them plenty of rope then start making little changes that causes the noose to tighten ever so slowly.  Eventually they'll "decide" that since Mythic "can't handle" managing themselves that it's time to take 100% control.  At that point (actually slightly before then) expect DAOC to start suffering some rather radical changes (and probably WAR as well) that will eventually drive at least half the playerbase away and, in the case of DAOC, likely cause the game to be cancelled.

Watch... just watch.

Sig image Pending

• gamerbluegamerblue Member Posts: 19
    UO has one thing almost every new MMO no longer has since WOW came out.  A roleplaying element.  Now they skip housing, player run events and focus on pvp and power leveling.  Wow has single handely changed the MMO genre to FPS.  UO is the last of its breed R.I.P. It was the best