Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Boring Combat

mjaygmjayg Member UncommonPosts: 41

I read the interview about combat in UXO and want to know more. One thing that bugs me with MMORPGs is how they are mostly "hit and button and take a nap" style combat. I'll take a Halo break now and then and always wish combat in my fave MMORPGs could be more like that.

What have people heard or seen of the combat in UXO? Sounds like they are trying to do something more interactive and exciting...

Comments

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831

Well, from watching some of the videos they have talked about this numerous times.  If you really want to know some information I suggest watching the videos located here:

http://www.uxo.ea.com/download_video.html

Those will give you some good info on how they plan on doing the combat system...and some other nice show-off videos of the game.  They have said that there will be some new interesting defense and dodge capabilities during combat.  All MMO's have to have similar combat systems because these are not "twitchy" style games.  To make combat fun, they need a both interactive and visually appealing battle system.  I'm impressed by what they've done so far.  Go check out the videos and I'll look into getting some more information.

::Yordo::
    EQ2, UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, City of Heroes

• mjaygmjayg Member UncommonPosts: 41

Yeah well doesn't have to be twitchy like the level of Halo (heard Planetside tried this and sucks) but something more than hit attack button and sit there occasionally pushing a button or two for specials.

Thanks for the info!

My MMORPGs...
    Current: AC1, AC2, D2
    Past: UO, EQ, AO, M59
    Briefly: EnB, DAOC, SWG
    Waiting For: UXO, L2, CoH, DnD, MEO
    (also really enjoying Halo!)

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    Yes, Planetside had problems, but I won't get into that on this forum.  They have said that they are totally committed to making a more interactive combat then other MMO's.  Will be interesting to see how they do that.

::Yordo::
    EQ2, UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, City of Heroes

Have any other current or upcoming MMORPGs besides UXO or PSide attempted more interesting/interative combat?

My MMORPGs...

• ErichM5ErichM5 Member Posts: 10

I'm just posting this to back up PlanetSide.  It's not an MMORPG.  It's an MMOFPS, the first of it's kind.  The idea was to attract those getting bored of Counter Strike with a unique and fun game... their servers are pretty packed.

I AM wondering, though, how UXO makes fighting in the game fun, unlike the average game- mabye I'll go check out the video.  The thing that turns me one image about this game is how fun it is meant to me (alsot the goal of WoW).  One can teleport to friends, dual other (exciting plus!!), and there are talks of guild wars.  I'm looking forward to it.

Man I'm awsome

Man I'm awsome

"I'm just posting this to back up PlanetSide.  It's not an MMORPG.  It's an MMOFPS, the first of it's kind."

You say tomatO I say tomAto. :)

Regardless, its an MMO with a persistent world. I like the concept but I've heard a lot of negativity and also I'm turned off by any game run by Sony. I might give the trial a chance though.

I AM wondering, though, how UXO makes fighting in the game fun, unlike the average game- mabye I'll go check out the video.  The thing that turns me one image about this game is how fun it is meant to me (alsot the goal of WoW).  One can teleport to friends, dual other (exciting plus!!), and there are talks of guild wars.  I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah I'm really looking for games in this vein. I work a lot of hours and have a son so time for gaming is limited. I don't want to spend a lot of time on in-game "busy work" I just want to logon and get to the fun and challenging stuff.

Man I'm awsome

If you say so! :P

My MMORPGs...

• lateralus42lateralus42 Member Posts: 6
    Planetside is the best online game right now, if UXO is anything like that it will be a great game. Im tired of rpg's with boring combat, its time for something different.

• reddog000reddog000 Member UncommonPosts: 121

UXO will be my first venture into MMOG'ing.  WHY?  Because yuo are able to group and solo.  No "sandwich combat".  PvP is consentual and not numbskull driven!  image  CONTENT.....yes I said CONTENT.  Hopefully the content will be up to par and the quality of the content will not be disappointing!

-------------------------------------------
    Control is an illusion!