Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A newbie thinking of finally joining EVE.

SirDiesalotSirDiesalot Member Posts: 12
Well, I've been following EVBE for the longest time and I think I'm going to jump in soon. Yes, I know there's a steep learning curve, but I'm ready to learn. I just have a few questions about the in-game world:

1) What's the political environment right now? From what I can gather BoB is ajuggernaught. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

2) Which empire is outnumbered? Right now I'm thinking the Amarr are, and Caldari seem to be the most numerous.

3) Piracy- How hard is the punishment for it? If I blow up a freighter in 0.0, will Concord know and shoot me down the first time I show up in a civilized system?

4) Are there macros in-game? I don't mean totally automating it, just something simple, like pressing one key and all my guns fire.

5) How useful is a Frig in PvP? Will I be killed in one shot while flying a tier 2?

Thanks for your time.

I answer rehtorical questions.

Comments

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by SirDiesalot
    Well, I've been following EVBE for the longest time and I think I'm going to jump in soon. Yes, I know there's a steep learning curve, but I'm ready to learn. I just have a few questions about the in-game world:

1) What's the political environment right now? From what I can gather BoB is ajuggernaught. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

There's no way I can condense the politics into a few paragraphs.  The best I can do is point you to the EVE forums where you can read the poltics yourself and view the territories controlled and contested.

Territory Map

EVE Online - Corporation, Alliances, and Organization Discussions

2) Which empire is outnumbered? Right now I'm thinking the Amarr are, and Caldari seem to be the most numerous.

The NPC factions have played a minor role in the EVE Universe compared to the player alliances and corporations.  They serve more as a storyline backdrop and have little influence on how you play the game. 

There are more Caldari pilots, but that can be attributed to the militaristic and capitalistic profile of the Caldari nation.  This, as well as the art work, tend to be the deciding factors during the character creation process.

3) Piracy- How hard is the punishment for it? If I blow up a freighter in 0.0, will Concord know and shoot me down the first time I show up in a civilized system?

In 0.5 and above you will be destroyed by Concord with no ability to escape your fate should you engage in an unsanctioned (war dec) hostile act.  Between 0.1 and 0.4, there are stationary turrets around jump gates and stations that will fire on you but those you can warp away from.

In 0.0 there are policing NPCs....it is the Wild West.  You would be more concerned with the alliance that claims that territory than the NPCs.

Everytime you engaged in an unsanctioned hostile action in any system that's not 0.0 (0.1 and above), you will recieve a secuity status reduction.  Once your sercuity status hits -2.0, Concord will destory your ship whenever you enter a 1.0 system.  The worse your seruity status becomes, the more systems Concord will deny you ship safe passage.  If you get your secuity status to -5.0, Concord will blow up your ship in any system that 0.5 or greater.

4) Are there macros in-game? I don't mean totally automating it, just something simple, like pressing one key and all my guns fire.

Not that I know of....maybe auto-piloting during travel.

5) How useful is a Frig in PvP? Will I be killed in one shot while flying a tier 2?

Thanks for your time.

Frigs in PvP always play a critical role.  During combat, they are responsible for keeping the target locked down so they can't escape and for destorying enemy drones.  Tech 2 frigs have better survivability and better damage output, but they cost a lot more and harder to replace.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by SirDiesalot

Thanks for your time.

1.  heh Don't believe the propaganda!!

2.  All hail the mighty emperor and supreme righteous lord of the Amarr!!

3.  Concord exist in Empire space.  0.0 is lawless and only policed by treaties, alliances and corporations populating the systems.  If you're security rating is too low due to a rash of piracy you'll simply not be allowed into higher security systems until you "get in good" with the law; i.e. bring your security back to an acceptiable level.

4.  No macros.  Macros are third party and they will _BAN_ you if they catch you using them.   The controls for the game are so simple that after playing for 30 days you would _NOT_ want anything to automate turrets let alone anything else;  quicker traveling through skills would be nice although we're currently forced to creating bookmarks at gates which represent our skills at navigation.

5.  Frigs in PvP are essential!!  Tacklers!  Fit microwarp drives, webs, jump scramblers, electronic warfare modules, etc.

There isn't a this-way-or-that-way to playing EVE.  EVERYTHING has a viable use in EVE.  It's the modules and fittings that you'll want to become accustomed to more then anything else.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Once Kali hits, 0.0 systems where Alliance's have claimed (by taking over a lot of outposts), they'll be able to put sentry guns at gates, and if you're not friendly they'll fire upon you... at least i'm pretty sure that's what's gonna happen. Someone please correct if i'm wrong.

Otherwise, 0.0 is lawless and concord won't do anything, and you won't even take a security hit, nor are there any sentry guns at gates. Whereas 0.1 - 0.4 concord still don't get involve but you will take a security hit, and there are sentry guns at gates and stations that will fire upon you for the next 15 minutes (you have a countdown timer) after you engage in a hostile action. You're free to kill in belts and planets without any sentry guns to worry about, but again, you can't go to a station or gates for 15 minutes.

-iCeh

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 622

Originally posted by iCeh

Once Kali hits, 0.0 systems where Alliance's have claimed (by taking over a lot of outposts), they'll be able to put sentry guns at gates, and if you're not friendly they'll fire upon you... at least i'm pretty sure that's what's gonna happen. Someone please correct if i'm wrong.
    Otherwise, 0.0 is lawless and concord won't do anything, and you won't even take a security hit, nor are there any sentry guns at gates. Whereas 0.1 - 0.4 concord still don't get involve but you will take a security hit, and there are sentry guns at gates and stations that will fire upon you for the next 15 minutes (you have a countdown timer) after you engage in a hostile action. You're free to kill in belts and planets without any sentry guns to worry about, but again, you can't go to a station or gates for 15 minutes.

There has been no mention of sentry guns at the gates options for alliances that contol something. There has been some talk of giving bonus for alliances that hold concelations but that is not going in with Kali. There has been a lot of talk of these features but no mention of their implementation. So far CCP have been concernating a lot more on changing scanning system, map system, gang system, escrow system and combat awarenss system. We can expect changes to those (as well as couple of new ships ) in Kali, anything else would be a fantasy =(.
    Damn, don't know where i got that from then. I'll have to have a look around, i'm sure there was something about it.

-iCeh

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 622

Originally posted by iCeh
    Damn, don't know where i got that from then. I'll have to have a look around, i'm sure there was something about it.

I have no doubt you saw something about it because there was lots of talk about it by the player community and devs as well. I am just talking about implementation of those features in Kali. I support the idea of giving us bonuses and help for controling space we occupy 110% but I dont think we will see it in the next 6 months.
    Ah right, well thanks for clearing that up.

-iCeh