Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel about Station Exchange?

napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150
I just realized yesterday that my server, Vox, was on Station Exchange, which allows people to buy equipment, gold or chars. I must admit, I was tempted to buy some plat so I could get a horse (I have wanted a horse since I realized they were an option and have never come close to being able to afford one).

My questions are thus: How do people feel about the buying of gold/gear on these servers? Is it considered just a part of the game on these servers? There has been at least two occurances where someone who was my lvl (high 20's) had a horse and when I sent them a tell asking how they could afford it, they ignored the questions (I assume they bought the money on exchange).

I was wondering all about this because if buying gold and stuff on these servers is considered part of the game, that means people like me (who aren't participating) are at a severe disadvantage because these other people will have the tricked out gear and fastest horses.

My final question is this: Would buying some plat so I could afford a horse wreck the game for me. I recognize a big part of why you play and kill mobs is to get money to buy gear and we save up for stuff and will I lose interest in the game if I buy some plat.

I think this is an interesting topic so please don't flame, just give me your take on buying stuff on exchange servers (not the general trend for people to buy gold in other types of games when not sanctioned to do so).

Comments

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    My cleaned up, toned down and PC response:
    I avoid the EXC servers like the plague. 

Note: yes, I recently re-subbed.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I play on Bazaar which is the other exchange server. So far it seems the same as any other server on any other game. Why? because every server in every game has people that buy items for cash. The community on Bazaar seems pretty nice. Honestly EQ2 items and character don't sell for much. I could probably sell my lvl 70 wizard on eq1 for more than a lvl 70 wizard on eq2.

PS: you could have a horse with 1 night of mining in Antonica.

• napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150

PS: you could have a horse with 1 night of mining in Antonica.

If I could hijack my own thread for a moment...Can you give me more information about how I would do this? What lvl of mining would I need? Where abouts in Antonica (I am a FPer). I really don't think I understand how to make money in this game, any help would be appreciated.
  • DarkikonDarkikon Member UncommonPosts: 42

I play of vox as well (didn't I gank you this morning OP?)  and I haven't noticed much difference on this server and on my original PvE server which was not exchange enabled. There are a few peeps that are obviously farming stuff, 3 and 4 boxing, but they make for easy pvp pickins, which is nice. So funny to watch a 4 boxer try and fight even a small group of peeps.

Not nearly as much activity on the station exchange for Vox as there is for the Bazaar. I've peronally never bought anything off of exchange, just because if you just play one toon most of the time, and play him for awhile, there is ample opportunity to get cash by harvesting and whatnot. Also, when you get to your hi 50's there are places in KoS where you can farm some serious cash if you are so inclined (Frogloks must be rich mofos).

I don't think buying coin on the exchange will destroy your gameplay. Depending on how much cash you have in game now, it might even enhance the experience. I don't know anyone on the server that has anything against it.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

There are many reasons why a 20's character could have a horse.

1. Hes an alt and using money from the main.

2. He was a paladin or shadowknight who get horses at level 20.

3. Could have been in the 20's as an adventurer but a high level tradeskiller.

Aside from that i dont play on an exchange server, i think it defeats the purpose of playing in the first place if you can buy all the best stuff for your toon. 

• Bren_34Bren_34 Member Posts: 32
    I buy gold even off of the station exchange servers! 

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    As a person who has no time to worry about making PP doing mindless crap and, when I do have time to actually play, I want to have fun.  Grinding to get pp is not fun.  I like doing quests: which means I'll be forever getting any good pp.  So, yes, I like the exchange, though I understand completely why others hate it.  I use it for convenience, but if it was gone tomorrow, I would not fret too much abuout it.

-W.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902
    you'll meet more honest people on the exchange servers :)

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150

My group ganked a Q today who had 3plat on him, so I am almost there to getting my horse, hehe. And thanks for the replies, I am glad some people who use the exchange piped in with their opinions...

and I have decided not to use the exchange, as I fear it will ruin the experience for me...

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I realy do not see how it could hurt your gameplay exp anymore than some one giving you an item you could not get by yourself, 5-9 plat is 25 bucks or so and the extra speed to get around is nice.