Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They just do not get it do they...

ShucklesShuckles Member Posts: 158

I will give you two companies' examples:

SOE / SWG:  They are asking for player created movie content on the current forums, which will be on the DVD bundled with the SWG:Complete box set in November 2006.  So...they shatter the game we loved, expect us to create content using the crap left behind, then resell it to us in a box set that has no new content?

MS / Office:  Microsoft is trying to "offset" their storage/bandwidth costs by charging $1.50 to BETA TEST their latest Office.  Meanwhile, Google will give you OVER 2GB free while they BETA test.  How much money have you given to Google, ever?  How much money have you given to Microsoft?

100% Open Source FTW.

ps ... always look at the date and time stamp before you rush to reply...

Comments

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Shuckles

MS / Office:  Microsoft is trying to "offset" their storage/bandwidth costs by charging $1.50 to BETA TEST their latest Office.  Meanwhile, Google will give you OVER 2GB free while they BETA test.  How much money have you given to Google, ever?  How much money have you given to Microsoft?

100% Open Source FTW.

OMG.  That's just pathetic.  Billy boy has obviously been taking lessons from Darth Smedlious.  Fire the testing staff, AND charge the customers for their hard work testing your product.  Then take the poo, stick it in a pretty box and call it Office Complete and charge $500 for it.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Meanwhile, Google will give you OVER 2GB free while they BETA test.  How much money have you given to Google, ever?  How much money have you given to Microsoft?

100% Open Source FTW.

How would you like Windows using upper 15% of the screen to display banner ads?

After all, that's how google makes money.
  • KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by jrscott

OMG.  That's just pathetic.  Billy boy has obviously been taking lessons from Darth Smedlious.  Fire the testing staff, AND charge the customers for their hard work testing your product.  Then take the poo, stick it in a pretty box and call it Office Complete and charge $500 for it.

Don't fault Bill for this.  I'm pretty certain that he gave up his position on Microsoft recently to focus all his attention on his philanthopic endeavors.
  • War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Rekrul

Meanwhile, Google will give you OVER 2GB free while they BETA test.  How much money have you given to Google, ever?  How much money have you given to Microsoft?

100% Open Source FTW.

Would windows then be free to install without having to pay for?

After all, thats how Microsoft make money on Windows.
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Originally posted by War_Dancer

100% Open Source FTW.

No. Google provides service, not products.

100% Open Source FTW.

And? Somehow this differance makes it ok for you to critise google for now they make money and also somehow means it's not ok to point out Microsfot will make thier money selling the software and on top of that decided to start charging people to beta test?

• ShucklesShuckles Member Posts: 158

100% Open Source FTW.

True, the advertisements do pay Google.  But they are not obtrusive advertisments (IMHO) and to be honest I never notice them.  But the point is there, I have paid Google NOTHING, ever.  And I am embarrased to admit how much I have paid Microsoft.  (I have been in the technology industry since it was born...)  Luckily I no longer support Microsoft at all.

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Don't fault Bill for this.  I'm pretty certain that he gave up his position on Microsoft recently to focus all his attention on his philanthopic endeavors.

His position has not changed at this point in time, only announced.  His is still chief software architect.  Which suits your point...this is not his decision, but an underlings.

100% Open Source FTW.

Google and Microsoft both provide products and services.
  • maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778

100% Open Source FTW.

lol you are so funny. You flame me to death for saying anything good about soe (something I may have done in one or two posts) but here you are defending microsoft. Thanks for validating what I thought all along!
  • VastarVastar Member Posts: 176

100% Open Source FTW.

Yeah, I'd probably just disable them if they were bad.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

And? Somehow this differance makes it ok for you to critise google for now they make money and also somehow means it's not ok to point out Microsfot will make thier money selling the software and on top of that decided to start charging people to beta test?

Actually consumers showed them they'd be willing to pay to beta test software.  MMORPG consumers to be exactl...  Where you think they got the idea from?

"Pre order to get into beta today and experience the wonders of "blah blah blah" game"

Think MS wasn't watching that and thinking up ways to make money off their beta tests?

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Yes.

Bill Gates is a good man. He gives more money in aid than most COUNTRIES do. It's not just for tax reasons, either.

Love, Sodapop

Originally posted by Elnator

Actually consumers showed them they'd be willing to pay to beta test software.  MMORPG consumers to be exactl...  Where you think they got the idea from?

"Pre order to get into beta today and experience the wonders of "blah blah blah" game"

Think MS wasn't watching that and thinking up ways to make money off their beta tests?

I wasn't saying people wouldn't, they shouldn't but that some people have more money and sense doesn't make it better that Microsoft or any other company starts charging beta testers.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

SOE / SWG:  They are asking for player created movie content on the current forums, which will be on the DVD bundled with the SWG:Complete box set in November 2006.  So...they shatter the game we loved, expect us to create content using the crap left behind, then resell it to us in a box set that has no new content?

Just to play devils advocate here:
    I'm just guessing... but I suspect that, since the post is on their official forums, they are asking people who ENJOY the current game to submit movies... not those of us who dislike it.  Granted I still find it ironic that they're asking the players to submit content that, if they want the set, they will eventually have to pay for.  But it's not like they're asking people who quit playing because of the NGE to submit the movies.  Which is what you're making it out like.  They aren't asking people who hate the NGE for content after all.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    I thought you said you wernt going to make anymore threads bitching about SoE and/or LA. Here I see you have SoE and Microsoft.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA

Yes.

Bill Gates is a good man. He gives more money in aid than most COUNTRIES do. It's not just for tax reasons, either.

Ok, Gates Fanbois.    There is Bill Gates the human being, and Bill Gates the icon that stands for all that Microsoft Corporation is and has been.  I was aiming at the latter.  Bill the Icon, not Bill the Human.

-----  Pointless Tidbit Ahead ----

From the WikiPedia entry on The Gates Foundation:

The foundation has donated a grand total of US$287 million to various HIV/AIDS researchers. The money was split between sixteen different research teams across the world, on the condition that they share their findings with one another

I'm not saying anything negative or positive here, I just found that ironic. 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• Blaze323232Blaze323232 Member Posts: 196
    i thought u left shuckles