Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I recently quit Eve.

BabyBlueBabyBlue Member Posts: 5

Firstly, let me say that Eve graphics and music are some of the best I've seen.  It's VERY immersive.  However, I recently quit Eve due to the griefers as my character wasn't progressing at all.  Everytime I got an implant, I would get killed and loose it!  So my skill training went along at the usual snails pace.

There is no game mechanic that stops another player from ganking anyone they like, anywhere they like, just for the hell of it, except in the so-called "high security areas".  The only problem with the high sec areas is that they are totally devoid of resources (asteroids), all the decent stuff is in the griefer areas, or has been locked down by alliances of players who list you as Kill On Sight if you enter "their" systems.  The net result of all this is the alliances get fatter gathering the resources of the areas they have locked down while the griefers get fatter killing and stealing items from other players.  Meanwhile, casual players like myself cannot make headway to develop their characters in any meaningful way.  It totally sucks.

I won't start ranting about Virtual Sociopaths (phrase of the month for me), but Eve has attracted great hoards of them, due to "griefing" being IN the game mechanic right from the outset.  Players get bored and become "pirates", killing anything they see just because they can.  All the while, these players are advancing their characters with little to loose, while those they kill are constantly set back in development.

I used to love playing Eve, but it seems wrong to waste so much time trying to achieve the smallest things in a game only for a VS (virtual sociopath) to take it away from you for no reason other than their own desire to spread misery throughout the universe.

If you want to enjoy your game-time, don't buy into it until they have fixed these things (for example, making pvp consensual - allowing "pirating" with special game mechanics such as a "demand toll" or "demand payment" button.  Removing the "gank wherever you like" mechanisms.

Comments

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

LOL

You chose to play a MMORPG that is maynly PVP and whine that you got owned?

Sorry but then uit's better you quit. Go play some carebear MMORPG like FF XI without any PVP.

(Not saying it's bad. It isn't at all)

Eve is a great game and i am part of oneof those alliances you speak of. I am no sociopath. We just try to defend a spot of place we claimed. We do this because WE want the asteroids in it and we don't want that others mine them instead of us.

WTF is wrong with that?

This game is about killing eachother. You don't mine to get a BATTLEship so you can look at it or mine even faster.

It's meant to goto BATTLE!

• BabyBlueBabyBlue Member Posts: 5

You are the kind of person I'm talking about and one of the reasons I quit playing (after spending over £100 on the game over time).  Your idea of PvP is attacking less developed characters and/or vulnerable characters while logging or running away when confronted with greater odds.  I can't be "anything I want to be" in Eve, because people like you determine the path I have to take.  I didn't want a Battleship.  I was a miner/trader.  And for your information, if "getting owned" is being ganked at a stargate without warning by a multitude of "expert" PvP characters in a n00b ship, then you are welcome to "own" everything in the Universe.  Only I won't be there to share your undoubted joy at ruining someone elses day.

Get a grip.

• GardomynGardomyn Member Posts: 5

I think it's one of the biggest problem in those PvP games... Sure we could pretend it's logical, realistic or human that strong forces kill anything to "defend" a spot even newbie or trader ship image

The human is chaotic by nature image

But playing an MMORPG is also about fun to play a game... there sould be mechanisms that permit every kind of PvP gamers to enjoy a game... or the game must clearly announces the color...

EvE is still a good game...

I don't know a game with a good PvP balancing... and you ?

• LemyLemy Member Posts: 21

Well one word from this above mentioned Alliances ...

I am part of Xetic / IF and we have no choice to close our area from time to time ...  there are getting so much players into our grounds that we cannot guarantee the safety of our industrials flying around. And we have no chance to get sure the ioncomming frigate is a 2nd char from an experienced player who wants to deal as a Hauler-hunter or a scout in our space OR its a real new player ...

We have no other choice, sorry, but thats a fact ...

Our Alliance is a peaceful One  we are mostly Traders and manufacturers. And we had our Region Immensea open for public long time, and we will for sure re-open it soon i think. But for the moment its too dangerous for our pilots to let all people in .. we cant be sure of their intentions ...

So, don't blame the Alliances, that you are killed so often ....  

One chance still is, to look for a corporation which has same intentions as yourself ...

EVE is a MULTIPLAYER game ... so in my opinion the TEAMWORK is the most important thing in EVE, although some Freelancers manage it all on their own ...    I have much respect on them ...

Cy@ in Space

Lemy

The X-Trading Company

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

@Babyblue: You're exactly one of those annoying whiny people i meet in any mmorpg.

You think it was raining isk when i started or what?

Everyone has to work for his status in a MMORPG.

It's not like you don't have a chance only because you're new. You just think it should go faster ofr you then for the rest it seems to me. It's no problem to mine in 0.0 sec space. I travelled through curse with my FA character without any problems. Fit 2 MWDs and a warpcore stabilizer and they can't catch you even with the biggest fleet.

WE (the FA) don't kill people without any warning. We have our territory in this game (this is what it's all about Mr.!!!) and if someone enters it we ask him to leave. If he wont we destroy him that's true.

I still don't see what your problem is. No sane mind would want to enter fountain atm. We had the biggest war of the whole game ongoing here. Now the last pirates left the region but it wont stay quiet for long. They will come back as soon they have resources i am quite sure.

They come BECAUSE we fight.

Why would a noob want to go to such a place. Did you actually CHECK the eve map lately? It's so goddamn HUGE. It's not like every sector is under control. Noone can control all this 0.sec space!

You might need to run a blockade to get into that space but i think that's what you fearing. You want to play without any risk but with lots of reward.

Sorry to break it for ya but it's not the game that's the problem but you. If you fear to face people then play something else.

Its true, that the only people who were "relatively reasonable" about me entering their space some time ago were the FA (I paid 100,000 isk to look around for 30 minutes because I'd never seen gniess before!).  By the way, I'm not a n00b, I'm just not a power gamer.  I played Eve since beta 6, with about 3 months out due to boredom.  FA space is off limits atm and in any case m0o are camping down near Gehi so its too risky.

My problem with the game is that it took me about 5 days (power gaming for me is 3 hours a night) to purchase something basic like a +3 perception implant and then about 10 seconds for someone to liberate it from my body, without any local chat, or reason.  The person doing this is of course around 7 - 10 million skill points (to my 3) and I have no hope of being able to defend myself.  Then another 5 days to get the same and, eventually, ganked again. In all, I think I wasted 30 hours of game time without ever progressing my character! 

Then the boredom factor comes in.  I wanted to go do something other than mining Jaspet.  But I couldn't, because everything is claimed by someone and if it isn't, I'm KOS or gank meat for the people who's motto is "stfu, this is how I want to play this game".  My biggest gripe however, was with the alliance (Stain), who didn't let me join them, even those vast tracts of their territory are more or less deserted, for protection from the griefers.  I am a well known carebear (if you read the eve-online message boards), so how I could be accussed of being a spy or alt is beyond my comprehension.  Not even a "your on probation".  It just sucked.

Just one simple thing to solve this: search yourself a corporation to join ...

If its a good corporation you wont become bored ...

Well i'm playing since Beta 4 ... and since release i only got ONE time shot down and podded and that was in my first week ...  And do not think, that i am coward hiding in secure space ....  i haven't seen secure space for at least 2 months now ...  I am most time in or near our territory and help securing it ...

I am in our Defence Department and have had some heavy fights, too. Well some corp mates did not have that much luck, but i still have all my Implants and never got podded since my first week in EVE back in May.

So, i think its up to YOU to adapt a little bit to the game ... then you will have lot of fun out there...

just my 2 cents ...

Cy@ in Space

Lemy

Well I did try and adapt.  I even made friends with some pirates in order not to be ganked flying through Yehaba (skywalker, hitgirl).  I protected one of their mining ops with my drones you see.  But I still got ganked there by someone else!  The problem I have with the game is that there is no justice for the weaker player against the stronger.  And adding to a "future KOS" list doesn't work, because I'll never be as strong as the power gamers.

I was a member of the BSC.  An excellent corp with excellent people - never got ganked once while I was with them.  But I was not "any use" to them in any respect apart from firing up some mining lasers and hitting the jaspet.  I got bored with that quite quickly as I didn't know what the goals were (goals are set higher up and don't often filter down to the twits at the bottom) and wanted to make my own way, so I left.  Found some buddies to tag along with, but didn't join their corp (we did mining ops together and split the difference - Black Lance).  Then I fullfilled some small nocx contracts up in Empire (which is where the 30 hours hard work comes in) to make some money for implants and stuff.  It was very fullfilling to mine, refine, setup a deal and haul it to the customer.  But ultimately futile because I got ganked, twice (in 1 week).  Ended up worse off than I was in the first place.

I quit the game anyway.  So it doesn't matter now.  Just my opinion of the game.  Being with a big corp was dull - being by myself was more fullfilling but I'm gank fodder to the sociopaths.  Can't get along with it, so I'm out.

Well, ok

I wish you much Fun out there in possibly other Games ...

Have Phun  :-)

btw:  have a close look to Dark and Light ....  (is still in beta testing)

Payback takes resources and they take a lot of "work" to aquire (time) and besides, there are so many pirates (Pirates Online) and they are so much more skilled than I, its totally useless even trying. 

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

There is a little problem with 5 year old mentalities but Both me and my girlfriend haven't had any problems.

I'm a miner/trader and fly through low sec space a few times without any trouble...wouldn't stay there. My girlfriend fights in 0.0 space all the time with part of her corp in a frigate, has been killed numerous times :P

I guess if you have priates that are getting in your way just contact them via eve mail and offer money for safe passage...If someone kills you, sadly that is the name ofthe game....and when you die there is only the implants to loose and your ship..not a bad thing to loose when you can make the money back in a little while...a week or so at 3 hours a day.

The game is designed for the casual gamer and the power gamer, with different goals for both, if your corp isn't telling you what they want is that eve's fault?

Come back and play, just find a better corp :P

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60

Given the back story fiction of eve I would say that it's about as close as you'll get to what would happen in real life.

Take for example a large city. You stay in the well lit shopping mall with security gaurds, and police and your safe and can complete your shopping in peace. But if you venture out of the mall and down some dark alley, then next thing you know you are lying in the gutter with your pockets emptied.

Eve has both of these, you can stay in the well lit policed areas, or you can venture out into the darker areas where greater opportunity, but also greater danger await you.

For me that's what I'm looking for in a game. Not just endlessly killing computer generated monster who cannot thing, but just execute a pre-written set of instructions over and over. If I want that I can play single player games. Eve is the only game I've seen since the early days of Ultima Online that has that element of danger. The rest of them are just single player games all connected together.

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282
    It is easy to get frustrated and quit in EVE... but you have to socialize in this game to get anywhere. In many ways I have had alot more role playing opportunities in this game than I have in any other game. In this game you have to make friends. In fact having friends is one of the most important aspects of the game. You won't get anwhere by yourself you have to communicate with people... ALOT. You have to either form or get into a good corperation and have people at your back, and back up people. Without social skills people lose alot in this game. Since it is an open PvP world with a pretty good community you can usually find a niche and move up in the game pretty well. This game relies more on RP than most people would think at first. Another point, there are greifers in every game ever made. You either have to A) Deal with them or B) join a group of fighters, even a small group of fighters can do well in alot of situations. This is a social game, don;t let the combat tag fool you.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• SinfaySinfay Member UncommonPosts: 56

Well, I've been playing the game for 3 weeks now, and havent been killed yet, and I mine in low-sec space all the time.

Sure alot of close-calls with pc pirates, but nothing a cautious PvP lowbie can't get out of.

• GardarGardar Member Posts: 50

Lol well for one i dont use implants couse of the expenses and you will get killed sometime in the game so you'r bound to loose it.
    but ccp are gonna add soon that implants do not only doo good things but some minuses as well.
    And one thing just keep Above 0,4 systems you should be safe there :)

Gar

Gar

• swimastaswimasta Member Posts: 2

The devs added automatic 40% insurance to help reduce game losses and some other implemtnations like inreased the sentry gun range to 150km.  0.1->1.0 is safe for travel...still can get podded in low sec space.

Leaving the game for your reasons seems like you didn't try hard enough and was hoping to mine arkanor without fear of someone getting angry about it.  Eve was designed for pvp, made for universal control.  Like someone else said, don't leave, come back and join a decent corp.  Or even join a corp in an alliance.

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by mrbbman

... but you have to socialize in this game to get anywhere. In many ways I have had alot more role playing opportunities in this game than I have in any other game. In this game you have to make friends. In fact having friends is one of the most important aspects of the game. You won't get anwhere by yourself you have to communicate with people... ALOT.

This is a social game, don;t let the combat tag fool you.

Excellent post. This is so right on the money (shot) because CCP have allowed players to dictate dynamics through large-scale social organisations to control entire regions of space. As such, there is even more emphasis on the social side to create relationships between players and alliances i.e. non-aggression pacts, payment for safe passage, security, blockade running, humint [human intelligence], fencing etc etc.

It's a harsh, cold unfriendly universe, especially so for the solo player. From my time in Eve, unless you formed relationships with people you were not going to progress within the game. That said, I still believe that there are opportunities for mercenary play within the game to allow players to follow their own paths. Provided you remember that you will be at the behest of the powerful coalitions i.e. you work for or with them, and not against them, then there is much opportunity for niche work. It just takes imagination.

I never had any problems when I used to play but then I accepted any risks that I took and I made damn sure that if I was running cargo I would check that galatic map like a goddamn hawk.

The golden rule was just because you could afford a Battleship didn't mean you should pilot one. Not at least without the requisite skills and back-up.

Hmmm .. looking forward to getting back at the start of May and this time, I will really pay attention to the social side.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

Originally posted by BabyBlue

The net result of all this is the alliances get fatter

Join an alliance then sheesh. 

I have seen the Arctic Circle... And it is round.

• ThargorThargor Member UncommonPosts: 8

The gatecamping are after what i know eliminated now.

And did you get a setback in your skillpoints?
    Then you needed to upgrade your clone in the medicalfacilities.
    You can also insure your ship...

It can be hard to be a loner in EVE but youo can do it only not in deepspace.

You need to stay in easier systems until you got all skills and a good ship so you can either get away or shoot them down.....

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I wouldn't say the alliances get fatter, strength can wane and grow as people's rl commitments change and differ. From talk to people who did beta and the start of the game certain corporations were massive and couldn't be touched...now there nowhere to be seen.

Plus if you get a tech 2 blueprint then your corp is made even if its tiny as you can command a decent profit on it, and seeing they are given out by chance its even better as the big alliances/corps have the same chance as you.

The game has a great economy, great corps can be challenged (like McD's in the real life) and maybe shrink and die, there is always hope for a new player.

No get out there and play dag namit :P

• admin-xakepadmin-xakep Member Posts: 1

It's the best game I've ever seen ! If somebody can't to fight, don't try to play this game!
    To be the best train your skills !!!::::19::

• kronos17kronos17 Member Posts: 1

You make me laugh ! You are in this game since beta and still haven't a clue of what it's all about!

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437
    My friends and I never bothered to buy EVE after we were done with the beta. The game was a griefers paradise, so we moved on to other games. Any game that tailors to JUST the hard core and the griefers will not be a mass market product nor a long term success.
  • DWRoelandsDWRoelands Member Posts: 1

My friends and I never bothered to buy EVE after we were done with the beta. The game was a griefers paradise, so we moved on to other games. Any game that tailors to JUST the hard core and the griefers will not be a mass market product nor a long term success.

I don't think that's necessarily accurate. EVE seems to be doing quite well.

I'm tempted by EVE. I was accepted into the beta but never actually played. EVE sent me an email with a code for a 14-day free trial, and I must confess that I'm tempted to give it a go. I am concerned about the nature of some of the PvP, though. I'm not a "twitch" gamer, and I generally prefer cooperative play to competitive play - mostly because I'm just not particularly good at competitive play. I'm not sure that EVE is really the game for me.

Fortunately, there are other games that are more my style. I'm not going to rip EVE because of my preferences.

• ArleonenisArleonenis Member Posts: 69

Hmmm funny
    You think as you don`t have any way to earn cash or what? Sorry friend but i was freelancer and to the time i reached 3m skill points i losted 2 battleships (ups i almost forget to add NOT insurred so i lost 200m in few seconds on one battleship (300m total)) and i had 2 more in hangar plus i lost one full set of implants and wear another set plus 200m in cash PLUS i had one set of implants in hangar just a case and i really don`t mined much, little in safe place just to check how this look, i was in 1 person corp (guess who was this one person?) and i don`t even fly much in 0.0, i dont like pvp aspect (electronic warfare, im truely brutor raw firepower;)
    If you don`t want to die don`t go to <0.4 simple as that:)

To earn cash diffrent way than mining:
    -do missions
    -TRADE, here it is great player owned market if you are smart enough you could buy cheap (everything even battleships) and sell at decent price (not oversteped, faster you sell faster you could try do other buisness), simple way to earn lots of cash, stay on trade channel look at prices in all major regions, speak with big corps that supplies minerals, they usually prefer sell they minerals supplies to you with 20% under prices than try to sell them, they take to much time to do this and they want mine more in same time, you could make lots of cash in one day (if you are lucky enough for lesser battleship)
    -farm npc in 0.0 but this is for fun not for cash really as you could die easily and it isn`t worth it in my opinion

Now i enjoy game, dont earn cash, do little missions here, farm here, trade little there, scout some new interesting areas and so on, I could start play as broker again when i need cash for tech 2 bs or titan:))))

(Now i have 6m skill points)

This discussion has been closed.