Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need some technical advice, mobo/cpu safe temperatures.

st8khousest8khouse Member Posts: 18

guys i need some help (really didnt know where to post this).  since i'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to motherboards and cpu's, i'd like to know what are the safe/normal temperatures for mobos and cpus.  as of now i've a hp a1130n desktop that i got last year in sept./oct. and have never had any problems with it up until yesterday.  while playing i felt a strange heat sensation around my legs as the tower sits about 4 or 5 inches above the floor.  any how i installed this app that monitors my temperatures and it stated that my cpu was running at a 50 deg Celcius and my mobo was also running at a 50 deg Celcius, this was after constant playing for a little over an hour.  now i'd like to know if this is safe, and what might have caused this to happen after one year of no problem.

my specs are:

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz
HP motherboard name: Albacore-GL6E
Memory: 2 GB (4 x 512)
HD: 250 GB SATA 7200 rpm
16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL LightScribe drive
ATI 256 mb x1300 RADEon

1 main chasis fan

do you think i might need a better cooling device, or what else could be the cause of my mobo going so high.  any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SeanRPSeanRP Member Posts: 106
    I have a comparable build, and although i'm not that knowlegeable either, I think 50 C (120F) isnt that bad. Cooler is always better though. I have 2 Exhaust and 1 Intake in my case and my core temp usually stays at 108-112F, and thats constant. Sometimes ill have my computer on for full days at a time in sell shop mode.
  • monceamoncea Member Posts: 17
    50 deg celcius is not big deal if this is the temp under full load.  You need to worry when you close in on 80!  If your temp is going up, I would recommend opening your case and cleaning it.  You would be surprised how much dust gets in your case and clogs everything.  Secondly, be sure you have 3-4 inches (minimum) around your case to circulate air.  Your set up probably came with stock 60mm or 80mm fans.  Not much you can do other than being sure you are keeping it clean and not in a tight area.