Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoB contributes nothing to Eve

fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

BoB has contributed jack diddly squat to Eve.

You know the type. Trash talking, bullying, condescending, because we are the great BoB.

Some of their members were ore thieves and lowesec pirates, now all of a sudden they're "outraged" at Goonsquad's bad behavior.

If you ever see BoB members coming into your neighborhood, don't make
the mistake of trying to be friendly, I've seen them come into lowsec
space and just start killing randoms for no reason.

Yes, this is the great BoB everyone's so afraid of, the combat experts
that take it to the edge, basically they are a band of 3 year old pirates getting their giggles at the expense of newer people.

Some of them are reputed to be employees of CCP. Class all the way.

Comments

• apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by fizzle322

You know the type. Trash talking, bullying, condescending, because we are the great BoB.
    Some of their members were ore thieves and lowesec pirates, now all of a sudden they're "outraged" at Goonsquad's bad behavior.
    that take it to the edge, basically they are a band of 3 year old pirates getting their giggles at the expense of newer people.

what exactly is the purpose of this thread?

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

BoB has been on an upward climb for a good long while now, and they are enjoying the ride.  They have seen M0o, they have seen Curse, and have been around long enough to know that success doesn't last.  While I have a lot of the same thoughts about BoB, they understand the role they must play as the current "big bad power of doom," and they play it masterfully.

Before now, I was sure they wanted Kali to happen ASAP, so they'll have something to do.  They seem to be lobbying really hard for the ability for alliances to redraw the empire map, and if I were to guess, they would very much like to overthrow the Amarr Empire, change the timeline and lore, and force the roleplayers and safeplayers out of their comfort zone.

You see, I'm not sure that BoB can really do much now, besides camp the forums, build POS, do little things like the alliance tourney, and maybe play the political game with smaller players in the north and south against the powers that could cause them trouble (D2, Lotka, ASCN).  Before this time, a strike against the North toward D2 would have been pointless, and taxing.  They are skirmishing in Stain, but any big presence beyond what it is currently would most likely evoke a massive response by ASCN.

So BoB was basically stuck in the middle of an alliance sandwich, and unable to really do much after taking Querious.  Without anything major going on, as with most fighting forces, they tend to get a bit rowdy and hawkish, especially with the outcome of the alliance tournament being how it was.

This is why the GoonSwarm situation is so interesting, because it was the one variable that stirred up the balance of power that has existed since the spring.  It will be interesting to see what will happen, not in terms of BoB versus the Goons, but how the other alliances are going to react to this change of events.  On paper, BoB versus the Goons is a mismatch, and BoB had better get it done quickly and deciseively.  If they do not, and they have to fight an Empire war, I anticipate a lot of frustrating, lag-locked battles for BoB, much forum taunting against BoB, and a bitter war that will go on, and on.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

BoB is one of the last honorable organizations in EVE, and certainly the last which is larger then a few hundred people. Quit whining because theyre better then you.

Originally posted by RollinDutch

BoB is one of the last honorable organizations in EVE, and certainly the last which is larger then a few hundred people. Quit whining because theyre better then you.

Proof.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but nothing much in the past week really showed me this.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

Note the wannabe BoB member, hoping to turn the "because they're better than you" into "because I'm better than you."

The entire entity is full of the same ilk, the "I'm better than you" crowd.

The point of this thread is to counter Rod Blaine's claim that "BoB has done alot for Eve."
  • GoeWieGoeWie Member Posts: 4

Bob has done nothing for the EvE community, except taken 3 regions of the community. Which they hardly use since they are all that eager to rule the galaxy...

I hope they fail against the Goons.. I really do.

Cuz they are allmost all arogance bastards

(and no i've never been podded by a BoB clone)

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

Note the wannabe BoB member, hoping to turn the "because they're better than you" into "because I'm better than you."

The entire entity is full of the same ilk, the "I'm better than you" crowd.

The point of this thread is to counter Rod Blaine's claim that "BoB has done alot for Eve."

Oh, dont worry, I'm far better then you too. Thats not even something that I thought was in debate.
  • GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Well if they have truly contributed nothing why dont you go and contribute something? Like take over couple of regions of 0.0. Win PvP turney? If you dont like them so much why dont you do something about it, because talking is not going to do anything.

Originally posted by GoeWie

Bob has done nothing for the EvE community, except taken 3 regions of the community. Which they hardly use since they are all that eager to rule the galaxy...

1) They will not loose to Goon, simply because BoBs economy is developed to insane proportions.

2) I agree most of them are arogant and ignorant basterds, so why dont you jump into your BS and go kill some of them.

3) If you hate them so much why dont you do something about it?
  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Aside from the fact that this statement is wrong.... What did you?

I am not a "BoB fan", I would not join them, eventhough I likely could if I really wanted, and I don't "like" them, mainly for their arrogance and forum propaganda. But I regard you judging people by their alliance tag as problematic.

The one time I had to do with BoB was on the battlefield. I was moving through 0.0 alone (so I made a bad mistake) and lost a fully fitted and loaded Scorpion to them. I managed to warp off to a safespot with my pod though. In local a guy (iirc it was Blacklight) said "props for not logging". I asked if I am free to go with my pod. They said yes, and I moved on. Nobody followed me.

So in my book I will give any BoB member the same respect and corteous behaviour I received from them. And I urge anyone to do the same. I give any unknown character/player (be he from BoB, Goons, D2, Burn Eden, ASCN, ...) I meet in lowsec or 0.0 the doubt of acting civilized (Note that in this case "acting civilized" is meant at his manners and not if he attacks me or not). If the other proves me wrong by acting silly ..... alright, but at last I tried to. And that is what more people should do imo, and not say "bah he is from Alliance/Corp X... let's start the childish smack".

BoB, while being an excellent pvp alliance, are still players like you and me. As an entitiy and "character" group you can hate them all you want, yet as players they deserve the same respect you would give any friendly.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

If you take all the 3 year old PVPers and put them under 1 roof, what do you get?

They're like the Home Depot of Eve, the small hardware stores can't compete, because BoB is sucking away all their best talent.

So what are we left with?

Monopoly which results in no competition.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

If you take all the 3 year old PVPers and put them under 1 roof, what do you get?

They're like the Home Depot of Eve, the small hardware stores can't compete, because BoB is sucking away all their best talent.

So what are we left with?

Monopoly which results in no competition.

Why are you assuming that they are all 3 year old pvp'ers. There's likely lots of year old players in BoB as well, seeing as there's maybe 10,000 characters total in game with over 10 million sp and a good half of them are probably industrial characters.

BoB is great for EVE, they keep the other alliances from getting rich and complacent and help keep the market moving, just like every other PVP group does. It also keeps territory control from becoming stagnant.
  • dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

This entire problem was not started over in-game theatricalalities which are common in both BoB and Goons tactics when dealing with others. There was a blatantly insulting post mentionning a former EVE player that died in an accident a year ago made by a member of Goons and was then later backed up by many in their ranks. After defilining the memory of a person they simply contested their punishments (inevitable when you start making derogatory comments about deceased individuals) saying that EVE was "merely a video game and that we should not take anything personaly".

This is of course is total BS and just because you mention "it's only a video game" dosen't mean that you should not be held responsable for the use of words and characters to convey messages to others. They were insulting and then instead of realising they went too far and try to apologize, they further insulted everyone by trying to downplay their actions as being part of a game. Well, they pissed off the wrong people and they better be ready to "play their little game".

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

Originally posted by Minsc

BoB is great for EVE, they keep the other alliances from getting rich and complacent and help keep the market moving, just like every other PVP group does. It also keeps territory control from becoming stagnant.

Hmm. Maybe.

Maybe the bad thing is that the rest of Eve isn't like BoB.

It just seems like there's BoB...and then theres all these carebear alliances that sit around mining. We need more real PVP alliances that live to fight, not fight to live, but it seems like BoB has em all d*ckwhipped into submission.

I hadn't heard about that. Belittling dead players is not cool.

Originally posted by dakilla666
    This entire problem was not started over in-game theatricalalities which are common in both BoB and Goons tactics when dealing with others. There was a blatantly insulting post mentionning a former EVE player that died in an accident a year ago made by a member of Goons and was then later backed up by many in their ranks. After defilining the memory of a person they simply contested their punishments (inevitable when you start making derogatory comments about deceased individuals) saying that EVE was "merely a video game and that we should not take anything personaly".

This is of course is total BS and just because you mention "it's only a video game" dosen't mean that you should not be held responsable for the use of words and characters to convey messages to others. They were insulting and then instead of realising they went too far and try to apologize, they further insulted everyone by trying to downplay their actions as being part of a game. Well, they pissed off the wrong people and they better be ready to "play their little game".

No man, you see the real sick thing here is that it was started over in-game theatrical BS.  What makes it sick is that BoB has used real life tragedy to cause an in-game shitstorm over in-game crap.  You don't get outraged a year after you see the source of the outrage.  You do it at the time, or you let it be.

You mention yourself that this incident started a year ago.  So then, why didn't this all go down a year ago?  I'm sorry, but it looks like BoB is crying crocodile tears over this.  It really does from the outside, it looks perverse, and it looks like some people are so lost in this game and cannot separate fantasy and reality in their minds.  This staged publicity stunt by BoB (and it cannot help but be staged a full year after the incident) makes people from the outside think that BoB never cared about this Smoske until Smoske became usesul to BoB to start a war over pixels.  And that's just insane.

If anyone has lost perspective, it is BoB.  They have shown no respect for the relatives, those who knew him, and especially, subscribers who came after this tragedy and have better things to do than to produce a moral outrage on demand over people they never knew, and never will know.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• GoeWieGoeWie Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Urza123

1) They will not loose to Goon, simply because BoBs economy is developed to insane proportions.

2) I agree most of them are arogant and ignorant basterds, so why dont you jump into your BS and go kill some of them.

1) And you think 3000 Goons have a Bad economy?? They mine for 2 hours and can build their own Titan...

2) Who is saying I don't do this?? I killed several Bob members..

3) Again, what made you think im not doing this?? My alliance is waiting for the right momemt.  And no I dont hate them, I just hate the Arrogance of some BoB members. And you're really naive if you think BoB will not fall. It may not be within a short notice, but eventually they fail, just like the rest

1) And you think 3000 Goons have a Bad economy?? They mine for 2 hours and can build their own Titan...

3) Again, what made you think im not doing this?? My alliance is waiting for the right momemt.  And no I dont hate them, I just hate the Arrogance of some BoB members. And you're really naive if you think BoB will not fall. It may not be within a short notice, but eventually they fail, just like the rest

Issue is BoBs had a lot more time to build up their economy. They have more space, it is rumored that they already have a titan, which is not that big of a deal but getting a titian is not about getting money for it it is the ability to get your industry to actually produce it with thousands of subcomponents and combinations of such it takes well over a month to make one once you have everything you need. Which is when BoB wages war first thing they hit are the shipyards of other alliances to hinder cap ship production.

If you are doing something good for you . If you think that I have an illusion that BoB will not fall you are wrong they will fall, just like any other empire in the history of mankind. However it will take an event of galaxy wide proportions to take them down. Which is only a matter of time .
  • Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

1) Even if only a dozen BoB members earns any isk by direct activity during a day we can make more isk in that day then the whole of goonsfleet when they put all their members to running level 3 missions. And that's all we're going to let them do structurally from now on btw, run lvl 3's in empire.

2) Great, come back when you and/or your corp can lose 100 BS in a day and not blink. That's what matters. The goons may lose relative little even if we have a 50:1 kill ratio for example, but they can't keep it up, while we can, effortlessly, even if we lost a cruiser for every frigate or shuttle they lose.

3) There's no need for hate. I don't hate the goons. I just severely dislike the conduct of a good number of them. We simply choose to hold all members of their alliance responsible for that conduct. Guilt by association is what I call it, and it works like a charm in Eve since your reputation is governed more by the company you keep then by your own actions in this community (in general). We won't grief them out of the game, we'll simply pile up the pressure untill they grief eachother out of the game, or at least out of their alliance.

And it will work. It always did and always will.

As to our use of the regions we own, we damn well use them. The how is no concern of yours, but let's say Querious was a welcome and needed addition as far as I understand. Try putting your map on the sovereignty setting or the stations in space setting and wonder at why you'd see what you're seeing if there's noone to make use of it.

And as far as our contribution to Eve over the last three years, I'm not even going to answer that one. I thik you underestimate the things we've kept ourselves busy with over the years tbh.

Nobody is doubting your ability to keep BoB afloat, Rod.  But I feel that BoB is playing right into what the Goons want them to do.

I don't think that there is much of a difference here between "hate" and "severley dislike."  So the question becomes how long, and how much effort are you going to put in to take your diskile out on a group like the Goons?

There is nothing Remedial and the Goons want more than to have the records show a hundred blown up Ibis on the killboards, because that shows empirical proof of both the tenacity of the Goons, and the pathetic nature of the alliances that "severley dislike" the Goons.

That, to me at least, is what this is all about from the perspective of the Goons.  They want to have the kill records show that BoB and the alliances are blowing up hundreds upon hundreds of Imparior, Ibis, and pods daily, and with any luck, for weeks on end.  Because in the long run, Remedial knows that the longer BoB keeps this up, the worse they and the people who play in BoB look to the casuals and smallholds who get to witness firsthand how warped of a perspective the alliances like BoB have.

And its working.

You see, the problem I see here is that, as you said, "it always worked before, and it will work now."  I think it is foolish for the alliances involved against the Goons to make that assumption, because the Goons do not have a typical EVE mindset.  They are out to prove a point.

--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Oh, there is a difference between hating the player and disliking the behaviour. Quite a large difference actually, in my opinion at least. Not to mention that already I've seen several goons that I could respect given some time.

In the end, the supposed difference between the goons and the average Eve alliance that they and everyone else keeps hammering on isn't quite as large as you or they seem to think. Most of them aren't here to prove a point, they're here to play a game. Alot of SA forum users aren't in goonfleet at all. Hell, there's even a number in BoB actually. Being in goonfleet now does in no way mean one cannot be in any other Eve corp. Those who have come to enjoy this game in the last months, not because of the frigzerg funplay they've seen but ebcause of the characteristics of Eve that any other player enjoys too, will gradually alienate themselves from those that only seek confrontation or difference. The first group will split off from the latter given time.

At this time they are turning this into a BoB versus "SA forum user alliance" thing. It is not, and that picture won't stick for long either. Wait and see.

As for playing into Remedials hands. Remedial leads by the grace of providing the goons with enjoyment. At least, in general terms. As a leader in hard times, he is utterly unproven. Remember that we read every thread on the goonfleet forums too , or if we don't already, we will soon.

As for our warped perspective, if you'd know how much we deal with those you name as third party witnesses (casuals and small corp players), you'd be thinking again. If you are referring to the suage of out of game reasons for ingame conflict then you're also wrong. This war is neither about out of game conduct nro is it about us using any of that as an excuse to force a conflict we want to take place because we see the goonfleet as competitors. In two years they might be competitors, if they'd survive as a group for that long that is. But not now, not this year and probably not next year either.

People often quote the goonfleet blob as their greatest weapon. But they forget that soon we'll see changes to the game mechanics that will work to the detriment of the big unskilled blob. Already no blob is as scary as two months ago, because of titans. Soon, defending against the blob will be made even easier for those with skill and organisation. Wherea blob is now a good offensive weapon used to close off systems you want to attack, no such tactic will be aviable for use against us soon. And what then ? Bore us to death ? That's been tried before too remember ?

Anyways, we're getting off topic here.

The topic is about BoB being a non=contributive group in Eve. I know that's not much of a topic to discuss, but let's stick to it anyway because I don't see much good coming from discussing the goonfleet situation right now. Only time will tell who was right, so let's just wait and see ok ?

Some BoB contributions:

- several eon magazine articles written by BoB members

- Eve tournament participations, Eve TV commentators (alot of those were BoB. Did you see the T-shirt Leitari had on btw ? )

- Many of the people in BoB are ex corp leaders that tired of being ceo of their corporation after putting in long periods of work for others. Many people in BoB have thus done their share in building the Eve landscape of player corporations and alliances.

- Some of the people in BoB and some of the corporations in BoB have been key in the player conflict and player empire building history in Eve.

- BoB harbours quite a few very active community players that help out new players in Eve or devise player guides or give out forum advice.

- Some of the best community movies are made by BoB players.

- BoB organises many gatherings every year, some of which not just BoB players are welcome at.

- Many BoB players are active testers on sisi, are you ?

- Many BoB players played during Eve's alfa and beta stages and thus helped form this game even before launch. Some still influence game design even now by making usefull suggestions where it counts.

- Mnay of the tactics you use during everyday gameplay were devised by people now in BoB (tactics, setups, bookmark use, evasive travelling etc.)

Lastly, make you top 100 of players you know in Eve that have influenced you without you ever meeting them ingame, and count the number of BoB players in that list.

Rod :

Ask yourself an intellectually honest question.

Is BoB good for Eve?

I feel that it has a Walmart or Home Depot affect on the game, all the good talent gets sucked out of small corps, goes into BoB, whats left outside is mush, which creates a game of haves and have-nots.

You said it yourself, you can lose 100 BS a day and not even feel it,
    how many corps/alliances can honestly say that?

In a way you're right, BoB has accomplished alot, you've worked yourselves up to the top of the food chain.

But now the game is becoming stagnant and I feel that the days of 5-way rumbles between motivated individuals is over.
  • ssstupidossstupido Member Posts: 253

Rod :

Is BoB good for Eve?

I feel that it has a Walmart or Home Depot affect on the game, all the good talent gets sucked out of small corps, goes into BoB, whats left outside is mush, which creates a game of haves and have-nots.

You said it yourself, you can lose 100 BS a day and not even feel it, how many corps/alliances can honestly say that?

In a way you're right, BoB has accomplished alot, you've worked yourselves up to the top of the food chain.

But now the game is becoming stagnant and I feel that the days of 5-way rumbles between motivated individuals is over.

just like the US. any genius that is not on top 5 country goes to US, who messes on any conflict (whether they are invited or not) they want to, just because they can loose 100 tanks a day and not even feel it

is the USA good for the world?

pd: that is a nice analogy too. USA= the Wallmart of the world

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Originally posted by ssstupido

Rod :

Is BoB good for Eve?

You said it yourself, you can lose 100 BS a day and not even feel it, how many corps/alliances can honestly say that?

just like the US. any genius that is not on top 5 country goes to US, who messes on any conflict (whether they are invited or not) they want to, just because they can loose 100 tanks a day and not even feel it

is the USA good for the world?

pd: that is a nice analogy too. USA= the Wallmart of the world

Have some cheese with your /whine! Stay on topic!