Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally

AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

At last, a game that fully deserves its great reputation, that makes two out of dozens of games that ive tried

Now if I can just get my damn finances in order so I can afford to take it past the trial period.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Hemingway

Comments

• HtorneHtorne Member Posts: 9
    The game is worth every penny you might spend on it. I have been with EVE since early Beta, and the scale is just un parrealed. With Kali ( The upcomming "FREE" ) expansion the grafics engien will get a complete remake.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not native to english, sorry for any bad language or bad spelling.  

• GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

I just have to ask, after looking at the static backdrop pictures and the limited number of actual 3D items in game what are they going to update?

The game has very simplistic graphics rendering requirements already so what do you improve? Better fixed painted backdrops? Oh wow can't wait.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

I do know that every ship model is being remodeled, and reskinned.  They are including all new fancy graphic features that are coming with DX10. Of course, for those of us with no money to upgrade our computers, they are still allowing people to use the old graphics engine.

The Kali update is also just not including new graphics, it is also adding many new features to the game including a contract system, 4 new battleships, 4 new battlecruisers, a new research system, rewards for exploration, and some other things. All that comes out this fall, and then sometime early next year they will be implementing factional warfare into the game.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Gnomad

I just have to ask, after looking at the static backdrop pictures and the limited number of actual 3D items in game what are they going to update?
    The game has very simplistic graphics rendering requirements already so what do you improve? Better fixed painted backdrops? Oh wow can't wait.

er...limited number of actual 3D items in game? Are you referring to the couple of hundred different ship models, the 20 or so stations, hundreds of deadspace structures and dozens of P.O.S. components?

Arguing that the limited stellar backdrops in EVE make the graphics simplistic is like arguing that the crappy looking skybox in GW or DDO make the graphics simplistic, as you are essentially talking about the same thing. EVE doesn't have to render terrain but it does have to render large amounts of 3D models. I.E. 40+ npc ships + dozens of 3D structures on-screen in missions.

Anyways, the graphics engine revamp is just the first step in updating EVE's graphics, the engine is being rewritten to take advantage of DX9 hardware as currently most of EVE's graphics are on the CPU. It will enable the game to use shaders and DX9 level effects. All ships are being remodelled at 1-2 million poly's so they can create normal maps for the ships, realtime shadowing and true HDR and bloom are being added as well.

After that is done they will be working on remodelling and retexturing all of the structures and stations as well as likely the station interiors. Planets and the space backdrops themselves will likely get revamped when CCP starts implementing planetary interaction.

This is all moot anyways as the games graphics aren't what makes the game what it is, it's the gameplay.
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by Gnomad

Don't feed the trolls! 

I personally cannot wait for the upgrades.  EVE is still has one of the best graphicall presentations for an mmorpg that's ever been released.