Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great Game

mortalitymortality Member UncommonPosts: 77

Wurm online is a great game imo.

Yes its difficult and thats where its main appeal is for me, nevermind over simplified, i will hold your hand tutorials, this game throws you in at the deep end and you sink or swim.

If you sink, go back to playing WoW.

If you swim, welcome to Wurm Online.

Comments

• eddy051eddy051 Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by mortality

Yes its difficult and thats where its main appeal is for me, nevermind over simplified, i will hold your hand tutorials, this game throws you in at the deep end and you sink or swim.

Yes this game is a lot of fun, try getting into the PvP some time, then it gets real fun!
  • JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62

Yes standing in one spot watching the events window while you craft for hours on end to fail more often than succeed only to see a mediocre growth in the skill you are working on is pure enjoyment. (Sarcasm for those too dense to see it)  Or standing for hours on end in a geenish hued cave right clicking yourselg into Carpal Tunnel Syndrom minning ore hoping to get your skill into a range that the ore can be used for something good not junk. Whether you do your skilling all at once or break it up into sections between skills you still have to grind away toi make your skill reach a good level.

PvP? The fight system is broken. Has been broken since before I started. They keep trying to tweek it and fix it and this and that and always end up with more complaints. The little of pure storey line PvP was drowned by the amount of just plain "Griefers"

The Economy is all messed up.They expect the paying customers to sink in real life hard cold cash to fuel the economy. Yet they put a "Kings Tax" on traders so that whenever something is bought or sold a portion of the monies goes to the king. ((King = Mojang Specifications))  So a portion of uur money is stolen out of the economy right up front and they expect us to pump more cash into buying money to use so they can steal more back under the guise of "Tax"  

Fun and Enjoyment is not something I can equate to Wurm. The fun I got was from the friends I made. Making the tedious grind of skills fly bye with the chatter. The last Beta map before Gold I spent 12 - 16 hours a day digging dirt , hauling, dumping, flattening. Making one long road to New Town. I did enjoy the novelty of being able to actually change the landscape.

• AthunAthun Member Posts: 11
    Seems to me Jaryd, after reading through your posts on this forum that something must have happened to you in the game, seems to be so much loathe. I've seen this happen on WoW forums when someone got killed in PvP when the person thought he/she was so amazingly uber.
    Wurm is or can be a grinding game. It all depends on what you *want* to do. If you *want* to grind endlessly for hours to end by mining out a new cave then that is your choice. Seriously, most mmogs have one type of grinding or another. In Eve Online you "grind" ore from asteroids by mining and mining - or you "grind" by taking agent missions so you can get a better standing with the agent, corporation or faction.

To me, to be able to change the landscape and create caves is just plain amazing. Terraforming is fun. I guess it all depends on what people think is fun.

• HunterAPHunterAP Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Athun
    Seems to me Jaryd, after reading through your posts on this forum that something must have happened to you in the game, seems to be so much loathe. I've seen this happen on WoW forums when someone got killed in PvP when the person thought he/she was so amazingly uber.
    Wurm is or can be a grinding game. It all depends on what you *want* to do. If you *want* to grind endlessly for hours to end by mining out a new cave then that is your choice. Seriously, most mmogs have one type of grinding or another. In Eve Online you "grind" ore from asteroids by mining and mining - or you "grind" by taking agent missions so you can get a better standing with the agent, corporation or faction.

To me, to be able to change the landscape and create caves is just plain amazing. Terraforming is fun. I guess it all depends on what people think is fun.

It seems to me that the problem with Wurm isn't the terraforming and building.  Matter of fact, that's the best thing about the game.  Beyond that, you find a plethora of bugs and tedium.

It's the bugs and tedium which Jaryd is talking about.  However, beyond those, you have a development and support staff that is out of touch with the gaming community.  A lot of people (myself included) would love to see Wurm succeed because of the Terraforming and building.  That's the draw to the game.  That's why everyone should at least try this game.

Once you have terraformed and built your place...  what else is there?  The PVP stinks, the crafting is kind of neat, but mostly useless and certainly boring, the PVE is repetitive and dull.  Whether the few fanboys want to admit it or not, once you have built your own house, or your own town, Wurm quickly starts to become boring.

How would you fix that?  I would fix it by getting character & monster animations in game.  I would make crafting/skillgain much faster.  I would give people reasons to capture and hold territory.  I would add "social" skills to the game such as dancing, music, a wide variety of foods, and varied architecture.

What Wurm has currently is the foundation for a GREAT game.  But it is not a great game.  It's barely tolerable as it stands now.  There are some dedicated folks like yourself that think it's absolutely marvelous the way it is.  But the game will die if only those like you are paying for it.  In order for Wurm to become truly successful, it will need to attract a much broader audience and HOLD THAT AUDIENCE.  Anyone playing wurm right now has to see that the game is a revolving door.  People come in, and they go right back out.  Jaryd is simply sharing his experience and his opinions on the matter.
  • AthunAthun Member Posts: 11
    Actually I don't think it is an-uber-super-game-of-all-times as it is now. What I see is the potential. It *is* riddled with some minor bugs, a few major bugs and sometimes a feel of incompleteness.
    I see the great foundation it has and the great potential it has. But I'm not ready to give up on it because of bugs or incomplete features that will eventually be fixed.
    I do agree it needs more interaction to keep the fun level up (if I'm bored crafting I go and explore or terraform to the extreme). I would like to see more interactive features. I would like to see more of this and that - and I am ready to wait and see what Wurm's Dev team come up with.
    Some are ready to pay for it, some aren't. Some like it, some don't. And if you are a person that likes it but you aren't ready to pay for it then you can do that too.
    One thing I wouldn't do though would be making crafting faster - I'd rather hide the time it takes by decreasing failure rates and by using animation rather than action timers.
    Food and feeding should also be easier to do although I would like to see the farming changed to a more realistic value (seasonal, something like the way trees give off fruit).
    If Wurm could develope into a full freeform crafting game at some point then it would be the only crafting game you'd need.

• JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62

Athun you ever stop to think the reason I am so vocal is becasue I do love the game so much and have been around so long to be saddened and sickened with the direction things have gone? That the loss of  years long friends due to this also adds to it?

Originally posted by Athun
    Actually I don't think it is an-uber-super-game-of-all-times as it is now. What I see is the potential. It *is* riddled with some minor bugs, a few major bugs and sometimes a feel of incompleteness.
    I see the great foundation it has and the great potential it has. But I'm not ready to give up on it because of bugs or incomplete features that will eventually be fixed.

I too have seen the great potential and over all the time I been around I also seen how the Devs make decisions that bring the community into an uproar ruining or reducing that same potential.

• smek1975smek1975 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I think the game is good, i pay no money at all to play it or get it and im enjoying it, the typical WOW player will hate this game, its slow, its demanding, its requires alot of patiance, but thats what i like about it, the reward is much higher when u really worked for it!

but i will agree with the animation is poor and i will agree if this game need to survive they need to do better average play to keep players ingame, the crafting is the best crafting system i ever played, but lacks fighting and monsters ect ect!

go check the game out... its fun and imo aiming at older audience.

Thanks!

It is hard to tell if a man is telling the truth when you know you would lie if you were in his place

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by mortality

To tell you the truth, it is one of the better games I've played lately. But it certainly needs alot of work. I gave it average ratings because of the wonderful features. It simply wasn't the game for me.

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• GrahamE92GrahamE92 Member Posts: 1
    I've been playing Wurm Online for a year or two now. When I started playing it was perfect. Nothing took hours, no fatigue, an Action Queue and graphics which you didn't need an extremely high-end computer to run.

But then it has started to get worse and worse untill it is at it's current state. Actions take hours. You need to mess around finding pelts to polish things. The graphics run extremely slowly on an average computer.

The developers never answer questions and always change things for the worse. It seems like they've never actually played their own game before.

In my opinion this game has potential, but all the bugs and bad features have ruined it.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Originally posted by GrahamE92
    I've been playing Wurm Online for a year or two now. When I started playing it was perfect. Nothing took hours, no fatigue, an Action Queue and graphics which you didn't need an extremely high-end computer to run.

But then it has started to get worse and worse untill it is at it's current state. Actions take hours. You need to mess around finding pelts to polish things. The graphics run extremely slowly on an average computer.

The developers never answer questions and always change things for the worse. It seems like they've never actually played their own game before.

In my opinion this game has potential, but all the bugs and bad features have ruined it.

I didn't play it that long so my opinion doesn't count in this instance...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• jupanu21jupanu21 Member Posts: 83
    i supose i payed game.?
  • nothing2geinnothing2gein Member Posts: 176
    I haven't tried this game yet but it looks promising
  • Rarelove38Rarelove38 Member Posts: 11

but i think that this game is one of the best reality life games i had played for a long time!

what do you have against it?

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

it's quite simple.  you know how they say for EvE you either like it or don't, that's amplified a few times for this game.

some people don't see wurms mechanics as an actual game.  which is understandable considering how close it is to a simulation game.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

they made the gratest game they could make so u can look different then the others then else it is a great game

• truerune777truerune777 Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by danzor123

THIS GAME IS TOTAL CRAP! OMFG

that was a little to straight forward dont ya think?maybe you can support your theory of the game being "crap"?

You have two choices,Die quick or Live tortured...choose wisely...I'll make you regret either choice

• CederoCedero Member Posts: 55

The game does have issues, not very major in my opinion though. Since they said it is more a simulator than a MMORPG, do you expect to dig a tunnel in 10 minutes? Build a long road in an hour? It takes time, if you wish to make it quicker then get friends or pay workers to do the dirty work for you. For those of you who haven't tried the game yet, try it out and make your own opinion but don't expect an easy game.