Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game addicitive?!

2»

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Motorhead

Originally posted by xplororor

SWG has added 5 more NEW servers. Why is this? Since November 2003 SWG has increased its accounts, passing 300,000 to having roughly 335,000 accounts.
     Many bugs, exploits, broken programming, has been fixed. New game features have been added that make it a much different game right now, than it was after 4 months of release.

Wrong, and wrong. 

right

those 300,000 people are those who BOUGHT the game....not those who are currently subscribed to them.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Galaxies is sooooooooooooooooooo addictive...that if I knew your address Id send mine to you free of charge. Collectors addition too!!!

• SamuraiEtoSamuraiEto Member Posts: 50
    lol Irish, I second that... and Motorhead, I agree with your first post on this thread 500% :) It's like I wrote it myself... SWG is truly the biggest trash I ever played. I'm happy with FFXI anyway and was very happy to leave SWG shortly after seeing the zoo that the game became with player mounts... totally ridiculous.

Originally posted by SamuraiEto
    and was very happy to leave SWG shortly after seeing the zoo that the game became with player mounts... totally ridiculous.

Heh, I wonder what the game would be like if all the orginal release date players continued to played since they nerfed the Jedi permadeath ability.

I see that well over 35% of every server will be swarming with Jedi, not afraid to die as the permadeath feature is being removed.

Woohoo...they shoulda just named the Game KotOR

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• bgh95035bgh95035 Member Posts: 9

Had fun for the first month and half, but realized hey what's the point of this game? Got old real fast. Does not even compare to how addictive EQ was....played that for 4 years!

• Originally posted by bgh95035

Had fun for the first month and half, but realized hey what's the point of this game? Got old real fast. Does not even compare to how addictive EQ was....played that for 4 years!

1. EQ has been out for 4+ YEARS. Plenty of time to have plenty of game content. SWG has not even started to enter its prime. It's still a little baby in MMORPG age.

2. EQ is a Tolkien-themed MMORPG. SWG is a Sci-Fi MMORPG. Many gamers are too used to either or type of enviorment. Also Sci-Fi MMORPGs are a VERY new approach.

3. Last, addictions are not good. image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    =========================
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

"How many of you think addiction is a disease?

Well, your wrong, addicts are worthless and weak...thats called, tough love."

-A quote from the Captain on Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

"Lets Go!"

• sheerlucksheerluck Member Posts: 6

I just got kick from uru so I'm looking for a new game. It sounds like SWG is I masterwork of gaming...or compleet crap. been reading alot about it and I think I'm going to but unless someone convinices me otherwise. 2 rlues

1. must say another game, not just that SWG is crap

2. NOT WoWimage, I have my own resons, don't ask

here xplororor http://mystworlds.ubi.com/US/

Originally posted by sheerluck

I just got kick from uru so I'm looking for a new game. It sounds like SWG is I masterwork of gaming...or compleet crap. been reading alot about it and I think I'm going to but unless someone convinices me otherwise. 2 rlues

Well, it really depends on your tastes

1.  If you like hard-core PvP Sci-fi space  mmorpgs, then try out EVE. I can always email you a three day trail (no credit card needed to sign up).

2.  If you like pretty chat rooms with build-it-yourself dollhouses, then I suggest SIMS online image

3.  If you like to be a dragon and fight in a fantasy realm type of mmorpg then try out Horizons. 

4.  FFXI is ok too if you like fantasy (alhthough u may want to do a bit of reading the criticisms of that game before you buy it (it's one of those love it or hate it MMORPGS).

5.  If you're not bothered by somewhat outdated graphics (not too bad) give DaoC a try or even Anarchy Online.  DaoC is fantasy while Anarchy Online is more Sci-fi.  However, DaoC's new expansion pack updated their graphics greatly.

6.  Since you hate WoW, i wont bring that up image

7.  I would stay away from Shadowbane and Star Wars Galaxies.  Obsviously, if you posted here you can see the sharp division between the posters.  I have a rather bad opinion about the game having played it for about six months.  SWG just isn't put together to well and my reasons would take up soo much space (just take a look at some of our posts here to see the reasons)image

I would recommend you to click on the "Game List" link near the top of this webpage then look for Star Wars Galaxies.  Click on Star Wars Galaxies then Click on Rating.  Browse through the hundreds of criticism.  I think you'll find about 20% of them like the game.  Don't just read what I have to say...look at the ratings themselves.

Shadowbane stay away from. I dont see it lasting much longer.  When you can go to Gamestop.com and type "ShadowBane" and see it for sell for $4.99, then you know it's in trouble (considering it's still a fairly new mmorpg).

Well, I hope that helps.

• Originally posted by sheerluck

What is Uru? I have never heard of it. Is there a link to an official site?

One has the best chances of enjoying SWG if they first are one or both of the following:

- Star Wars fan

- Enjoy being in a Science Fiction setting. Guns rule Melee!

Other than that, SWG has decent PvP. The SWG bashers on purpose forget to mention SWG has unofficial PvP servers where the majority of PvP players go to. (Then again, this shows how much the SWG bashers really know about SWG. image )

This here site of MMORPG.com is not very well known. And the SWG forums on this site are virtually unknown to any SWG fans who number in the hundreds of thousands. As you see, its just the same 5 or so people posting over and over including me and its the same 6 people posting over and over lol. image 

SWG IS a successfull MMORPG.

BTW, if you may also want to check out

Anarchy Online . AO is the "mother of SWG" just like Ultima Online is the "father" of SWG. AO also has some features that are better than SWG like PvP for landcontroll. AO also has full 100% atmospheric flying. Either in a spaceship, or if you choose the profession Meta-Physicist you can fly like Superman or Magneto.

EverQuest - It has more positives than negatives. Good for getting your Tolkien-themed , Swords n Sorcery, fix.

Dark Age of Camelot - The game really begins once you reach level 50. If you can survive the treadmill to reach level 50, you will have loads of fun! This game is about PvP. The PvP is best when you reach level 50.

EvE, and Earth n Beyond - Both are Space only MMORPGs. Your spaceship represents you. Both have incredible graphics, and if you enjoy spaceships then you will enjoy these two. I recommend EvE more than EnB though.

Asheron's Call - An Oldie but goodie. It is like EQ, but 100% different game mechanics. EQ is a Level Based game. AC is a Skill Based game. In AC you have 100% controll over what skills your character has, and can have. AC also IMHO has the most tight knit, friendly, player community out of every MMORPG out.

Ultima Online - If you don't mind the 2D graphics, you will see why this first "real" MMORPG is still around and doing better than most modern and new MMORPGs! Incredibly skill based. Many intresting game features.

WoW is not even out yet, so I don't see how or why anyone would recommend you or anyone to play it. SWG is currently out. AO is currently out. imageimageimage

=========================================================================================

My answers to what En1gma posted:

Well, it really depends on your tastes

1.  If you like hard-core PvP Sci-fi space  mmorpgs, then try out EVE. I can always email you a three day trail (no credit card needed to sign up).

EvE only takes place in outter space. There is NO player character at all. Just a spaceship that symbolizes the player. I agree the PvP in EvE is well done. But it is space only. No change in the enviorment.

On the unofficial PvP servers in SWG the PvP is well done. Players can get their own private NPC armies to fight other players and to protect theirselves. Though even I personally think it could be further enhanced.

Anarchy Online IMHO has one of the best PvP out of any MMORPG. Players fight for landcontrol. AND when players log off, their land is still protected by NPC security.

2.  If you like pretty chat rooms with build-it-yourself dollhouses, then I suggest SIMS online image

Uggg how can ya recommend TSO aka The Sims Online LOL. It has not become a success yet. Though it will sooner or later break even because of the fame of the Sims title. Sims is not a true MMORPG. The ONLY difference between TSO and the incredibly NICE and incredibly successfull string of Sims RPGs is..... there are more live players to talk to. May as well download IRC, AIM, or MSN, or Yahoo Messenger for FREE instead of paying a monthly fee to TSO just to be able to chat with thousands of other people LOL>

3.  If you like to be a dragon and fight in a fantasy realm type of mmorpg then try out Horizons. 

You can be a dragon in Anarchy Online.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/62954703rXSIZx

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/62955349cnmvrY

On this following link, click on the ">" next arrow above the picture, to view a monage of more dragon pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/65860305/65977189zdufmC

As well as shapeshift into many, many, other monsters and creatures:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/65859964KsLgLJ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/65860072lZzGyH

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/65860145ImiGUa

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56511398/65860223aVqzje

http://community.webshots.com/photo/65860305/65860349hAepDF

4.  FFXI is ok too if you like fantasy (alhthough u may want to do a bit of reading the criticisms of that game before you buy it (it's one of those love it or hate it MMORPGS).

I agree FFXI is a nice game. IMHO it has more positives than negatives. Though the game has been out for over 2 years so one would think it would have very few bugs. The main criticism of FFXI is the fact it was made for the console first. Then grafted to PC. So the game pushes consoles to the max, but does not push PC's to the max.

5.  If you're not bothered by somewhat outdated graphics (not too bad) give DaoC a try or even Anarchy Online.  DaoC is fantasy while Anarchy Online is more Sci-fi.  However, DaoC's new expansion pack updated their graphics greatly.

I am in agreement.

6.  Since you hate WoW, i wont bring that up image 

In defense of Blizzard I will say this:

WoW has a chance to do only what SWG has had a chance to do and no other MMORPG will ever have a chance to do - EXPAND the MMORPG market and audiance. The majority of SW fans did not, and do not, play MMORPGs. SWG succeeded in introducing at least 200,000 of them to the MMORPG market. This is a plus to ALL MMORPG games.

Blizzard has millions of fans. Most who do not play MMORPGs. If WoW can introduce even a fraction of them to the MMORPG market, it will have "succeeded". It will have expanded the market and playerbase which is a plus for ALL mmorpg games. Even if WoW ends up being a failure.

7.  I would stay away from Shadowbane and Star Wars Galaxies.  Obsviously, if you posted here you can see the sharp division between the posters.  I have a rather bad opinion about the game having played it for about six months.  SWG just isn't put together to well and my reasons would take up soo much space (just take a look at some of our posts here to see the reasons)image

1. SB is doing well enough to eventually be a success. It has roughly 50,000 accounts. It is definatly not a flop or a failure. The main problem with both SB and DAoC is they both did PvP wrong. Whereas in both SWG and AO they both did PvP right.

In SB if one side wins a war, or fight, as soon as they log off the enemy simply comes and easily takes back what they lost. image 

2. SWG has yet to begin entering its prime. All MMORPGs begin entering their prime aka get past their growing pains, roughly 1 year after release.

En1gma recommends you check out Anarchy Online. Guess what? When AO was 6 months after release AO was 90% unplayable. AO was in a far, far, far, wose state than SWG is right now heheh. Yet 1 year after release AO did an about face and become 90% playable.  SWG right now IS 95% playable, fun, and entertaining.

The main criticism about SWG is lack of content. The thing is, SWG was intended for gamers who have a life. Not for powergamers, hardcore gamers, players who play 8hrs a day, ditch school and work, have family and friends posting their pictures on back of milk cartons reporting them missing. image

I would recommend you to click on the "Game List" link near the top of this webpage then look for Star Wars Galaxies.  Click on Star Wars Galaxies then Click on Rating.  Browse through the hundreds of criticism.  I think you'll find about 20% of them like the game.  Don't just read what I have to say...look at the ratings themselves.

The ratings here at MMORPG.com are skewed for many reasons.

1. MMORPG.com is not a well known game site. (Though it is a nice little site.)

2. The majority of SWG fans have never heard of MMORPG.com. If you want real opinions and reviews about SWG (good and bad) check out stractics.com

3. Again, as everyone can see, here at MMORPG.com it is the same 5-10 posters posting over and over and over. Also many SWG bashers create mutliple accounts in order to skew the voting even more.

And as other poster pointed out, look at the amount of posts by the SWG bashers. Majority of them have 1 - 20 posts. With ALL of them bashing SWG. This shows they came here exclusivly to bash SWG, to to check out all the games at this site. This means they are not gamers. Or fans of MMORPGs. They are here for 1 thing only. To bash SWG. And as I have brought to light, many of them post false information about SWG, many have never played SWG, and many have not recently played SWG.

Shadowbane stay away from. I dont see it lasting much longer.  When you can go to Gamestop.com and type "ShadowBane" and see it for sell for $4.99, then you know it's in trouble (considering it's still a fairly new mmorpg).

SB really is a nice game. It is just that they have not overhauled their PvP system. Their game DEVs really need to look at SWG and [b]Anarchy Online[/b] and see how they did their PvP right.