Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype

AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433
So, among the MMO which interest you, how does Aion lands?

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Comments

• KharmedKharmed Member Posts: 101
    It caught my attention on the very moment I knew we could fly,jump & climb trees etc..

I gave it a hype of 7 for now because we don't know much about the game but I put my hypes on /7 not on /10 :-P.

• Jay-MeJay-Me Member Posts: 9
    When i saw this game it took me back to the excitment i felt when i heard about DnL, lets hope we dont get the same disapointment, this game looks amazing, and although we know little else, i have faith in NcSoft, they know what they are doing.

SWG - Starsider - Jay-Me Adams - Dead
    CoH & CoV - Closed
    WoW - Caramipi - TVC

• SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921
    As long as proper PvP is chucked into Aion,I'd rate this highly (I gave it a 9 on hype) as the first thing from NCSoft that actually looks good.
  • ChicoBTDChicoBTD Member Posts: 84
    lol why do you have to be a troll to dislike a game?
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Well from what i saw and read the game is going to be the UBER MMO. I can hardly wait fot it. And the leveling system is the best i saw yet if it is what they sayd. 

So I say it's worth atleast playing on BETA or a trial.

• cheesyecheesye Member Posts: 21

i just wanna see how the pvp is, if the pvp is at its peak, then you can gurantee seeing me playing this. more than likely under one of the names in my sig ;) errm (Climhazzard)

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Personally I'm having trouble figuring out why you people are so hyped about a game that there is so little information about.  Hell... NC KOR isn't even sharing what they know with NC NA.... bleh...

It's worth keeping an eye on but the level of hype it's getting is just silly at this stage.  There are no details available about the game, even on the official site.  That disturbs me greatly.  It's not like NCSoft has a huge track record of making quality MMO's that are enjoyable in the west.... L2 is huge in asia but in NA and EU combined it only has like 60k players.

Graphically it looks like it'll be impressive... beyond that.... not enough info.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

there actually is some nice info released about the game. and since the other upcomming games just make me cry, I'd rather watch Aion which seem to have quite a few original aspects to it.

for example:

this:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708762p1.html

+ the gameplay videos

and NCsoft's history is enough to pick this game over games like Vanguard, Darkfall and others.

p.s.: Lineage 2 has 90k subscribers in the US/EU.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    im really looking foward to aion, not because of the graphics but the gameplay shounds really interesting

and ofcoarse the graphics got my attention at first :)

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by Elnator
    Personally I'm having trouble figuring out why you people are so hyped about a game that there is so little information about.  Hell... NC KOR isn't even sharing what they know with NC NA.... bleh...

Thats because overall, we suck as a market. Did you ever read that quartarly report from NCSoft I posted for you? I'm surprised NC even bothers to release games in the U.S.

It's worth keeping an eye on but the level of hype it's getting is just silly at this stage.  Like thats never happened to any other game lol. Why can't people get excited about a new game? Whats wrong with that? I am very "hyped" for Hero's Journey although the company has put out jack shite for info over the last year....they hardly even update their own website. "coming soon" is a very popular feature so far.

There are no details available about the game, even on the official site.  That disturbs me greatly.  It's not like NCSoft has a huge track record of making quality MMO's that are enjoyable in the west....

How do you figure the quality thing? What are you comparing it to? Last I checked most NC games where of a very high quality. Whether someone enjoys them or not is another story.

Are you saying L2 is not a high quality game or that you dont like its playstyle? The third party games like Guild Wars, City of Heros/Villians are not quality made products OR you just don't like the playstyle?

There is a difference between not liking a playstyle and quality. Quality implies its not well made. L2 is a very well made game. It has a playstyle that does not appeal to westerners. WoW is a very well made game. It has a playstyle I don't care for.  It is however a high quality product. SWG is a P.O.S. the parent company has demostrated time and again they also are not happy with the quality of the game either and have revamped it a few times. (argue if you like but the games performance clearly shows otherwise)

Are you saying that the production is not high quality? What are you comparing it to? Aside from WoW and GW, there have been no high quality U.S. releases (production wise) Argue if you like but the sub numbers support my statement. 

L2 is huge in asia but in NA and EU combined it only has like 60k players.  Alittle more then that, but I won't bust your chops  Its in the quartarly report....89k I think and with continuous growth since launch.

Graphically it looks like it'll be impressive... beyond that.... not enough info. Yes I agree but with Auto Assault failing in the western market, the focus might shift away from us. We are a bust. What we will probably get in the future is secondary games because MMO's simply are not working out across the board in the western market. None of them are succeeding to the level Asian games do.

You can see this attitude in NC's lay-offs recently. They are trimming the fat. NC NA will simply be an English language dept soon.

If you read the article I posted about WoW, they are doing well in Asia for at least one reason...price. They undercut everyone else sub fees by at least 25%. (its also interesting to see how the U.S. company is so eager to cross over into Asia....makes you wonder....many Asian playstyles and art forms are pretty well embedded in WoW, its funny how many western players don't release it) Of the "6.5 million" WoW players, how many are U.S.? 1.5 or so? LoL even Blizzard saw that the U.S. is not where the action is.

Aion will be a quality product, like most of NC's products. Whether it appeals to U.S. gamers or not will be seen. Personally, I don't think NC cares what the western market thinks anymore. (based on their quartary report we represent a very small portion of the companies revenue)

I doubt you will see many more third party games from NC in the future either. NONE of them have crossed over into the Asian market, the bulk of NC's Market. Not even GW has really breached into the Asian market. Its primarily only popular here. That isn't what they planned. Thats why the new expansion, "Factions", had an Asian theme. They are trying to cross it over. NC is sending a very very clear message here. The western market is considered secondary.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Elnator
    Thats because overall, we suck as a market. Did you ever read that quartarly report from NCSoft I posted for you? I'm surprised NC even bothers to release games in the U.S.

It's worth keeping an eye on but the level of hype it's getting is just silly at this stage.  Like thats never happened to any other game lol. Why can't people get excited about a new game? Whats wrong with that? I am very "hyped" for Hero's Journey although the company has put out jack shite for info over the last year....they hardly even update their own website. "coming soon" is a very popular feature so far.

There are no details available about the game, even on the official site.  That disturbs me greatly.  It's not like NCSoft has a huge track record of making quality MMO's that are enjoyable in the west....
    How do you figure the quality thing? What are you comparing it to? Last I checked most NC games where of a very high quality. Whether someone enjoys them or not is another story.
    Are you saying L2 is not a high quality game or that you dont like its playstyle? The third party games like Guild Wars, City of Heros/Villians are not quality made products OR you just don't like the playstyle?
    There is a difference between not liking a playstyle and quality. Quality implies its not well made. L2 is a very well made game. It has a playstyle that does not appeal to westerners. WoW is a very well made game. It has a playstyle I don't care for.  It is however a high quality product. SWG is a P.O.S. the parent company has demostrated time and again they also are not happy with the quality of the game either and have revamped it a few times. (argue if you like but the games performance clear shows otherwise)
    Are you saying that the production is not high quality? What are you comparing it to? Aside from WoW and GW, there have been no high quality U.S. releases (production wise) Agrue if you like but the sub numbers support my statement. 
    L2 is huge in asia but in NA and EU combined it only has like 60k players.  Alittle more then that, but I won't bust your chops  Its in the quartarly repot....89k I think with continuous growth since launch.

Graphically it looks like it'll be impressive... beyond that.... not enough info. Yes I agree but with Auto Assault failing in the western market, the focus might shift away from us. We are a bust. What we will probably get in the future is secondary games because MMO's simply are no working out across the board in the western market. None of them are succeeding to the level Asian games do.

You can see this attitude in NC's lay-offs recently. They are trimming the fat. NC NA will simply be an English language dept soon.
    If you read the article I posted about WoW, they are doing well in Asia for at least one reason...price. They undercut everyone else sub fees by at least 25%. (its also interesting to see how the U.S. company is so eager to cross over into Asia....makes you wonder....many Asian playstyles and art forms are pretty well embedded in WoW, its funny how many western players don't release it) Of the "6.5 million" WoW players, how many are U.S.? 1.5 or so? LoL even Blizzard saw that the U.S. is not where the action is.
    Aion will be a quality producting, like most of NC's products. Whether it appeals to U.S. gamers or not will be seen. Personally, I don't think NC cares what the western market thinks anymore. (based on their quartary report we represent a very small portion of the companies revenue)

I doubt you will see many more third party games from NC in the future either. NONE of them have crossed over into the Asian market, the bulk of NC's Market. Not even GW has really breached into the Asian market. Its primarily only popular here. That isn't what they planned. Thats why the new expansion, "Factions", had an Asian theme. They are trying to cross it over. NC is sending a very very clear message here. The western market is considered secondary.

You seem to be one of the few who knows what they are talking about Torak. Personally my top choice game for 2k7 is Hero;s journey, but that doesnt stop me from following others.

I personally noticed NC change of direction my self, since i played everyone of NCsofts games, except auto assualt, i know their games are very good, hell i played lineage 2 for 3 years, every day sayimg "I hate this game" but it wasnt the game, it was more the players and the style of play, if lineage 2 was less cutthroat i would prolly still play it, they are always adding content, castle seiges were crazy, graphics were nice, even for a game made back in the day, and with the promiss of changing lineage 2 current engine, the game might even be worth a resubscription.

Aion is a game that many of labbled as a korean grindfest, but all MMOs have grinds, whether it is masked well or not, the grind element is needed for an mmo to succeed. Aion whole flght concept is something i will play the game for, if only to experinece that, I dont think this game will succeed in US either, but the anime theme and gameplay, will make it a very good asian game, personally i love the anime, and love the anime style, which is what drew me to Aion in the first place.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You seem to be one of the few who knows what they are talking about Torak. Personally my top choice game for 2k7 is Hero;s journey, but that doesnt stop me from following others.

Thanks, I "try" to be objective and backup anything I say with a bit of research. It's tough with the crowd on this site lately. People just like to spew garbage or just flame the past few months.

I personally noticed NC change of direction my self, since i played everyone of NCsofts games, except auto assualt, i know their games are very good, hell i played lineage 2 for 3 years, every day sayimg "I hate this game" but it wasnt the game, it was more the players and the style of play, if lineage 2 was less cutthroat i would prolly still play it, they are always adding content, castle seiges were crazy, graphics were nice, even for a game made back in the day, and with the promiss of changing lineage 2 current engine, the game might even be worth a resubscription.

I hear you on L2. I hardly play it anymore. I'm playing mostly PC games lately. I'm really tired of the grinding in MMO's....any MMO. Its all the same crap. Kill mobs for a level. If Oblivion was multiplayer there would be no need for MMO's. NWN2 is coming soon. Then I can shake off this genre like a bad rash lol.

As far as the community, I guess I was lucky, I didn't really have any bad experiences besides the expected stuff. All in all, I found L2 players no different really then anyone else. The economy is very tough and does tend to drive people to extreams. The main problem with L2's economy is everything has value and the adena actually has worth lol.

Aion is a game that many of labbled as a korean grindfest, but all MMOs have grinds, whether it is masked well or not, the grind element is needed for an mmo to succeed. Aion whole flght concept is something i will play the game for, if only to experinece that, I dont think this game will succeed in US either, but the anime theme and gameplay, will make it a very good asian game, personally i love the anime, and love the anime style, which is what drew me to Aion in the first place.

Well, from what I understand, Aion will be light on grind (?) although there is very little to back it up, just a comment on the company page. I guess we will wait and see. I'm sceptical of any MMO. None of them have delivered as far as I am concerned.

http://www.ncsoft.com/eng/ncgames/aion_intro.asp 

I agree on the fact this game will not do well in the U.S. We have to many people waiting for the perfect EQ clone to come along or waiting for someone to cast  "reserection" on SWG.

U.S. MMO players are stuck on a "utopian" ideal and can't see past it. Unfortunately that ideal is different for about every person. (MMO's are not Burger King, you can't have everything "your way") Meanwhile the devs are stuck on prefecting a style that really was no good to begin with...the level- grinder system. Now a days we have dozens and dozens of these grinder based games and its all the same crap. Go out and kill 10 rats for a reward. When you are done you can raid or play capture the flag...weeeeeee. I'll go play capture the flag anytime I want in a shooter. Hell there is even a shooter style fantasy game on the way 

(Heros of Might and Magic - Dark Massiah http://www.mightandmagic.com/uk/darkmessiah/teaser/ ) and

(Savage 2 http://pc.ign.com/articles/689/689613p1.html ) if thats your thing. Why pay to level?

So I guess we wait and see........until the design philosophies change no one gets my money
    EDIT
    All is not doom and gloom, we do have a few inovative ideas on the way....but the writing is on the wall for this genre....evolve or it will die off. You can see it in the dropping subs almost across the board....and the string of horrible games that have released so far this year. U.S. MMO players are becoming more and more sceptical with each garbage game that pops out.
     http://www.mmorpgchart.com/ (look for yourself)
     (look for yourself)

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

I voted Aion as important, but not as important as Huxley.

Sorry Aion, I love FPS too much.

• albinofreakalbinofreak Member Posts: 449
    I think the game looks like a good one. The story seems like a nice divergence from the standard elf/troll/dwarf/hobbit style fantasy. The videos seem sweet and combat looks cool. I havent been into MMOs since I quit SWG cause it left a bad taste in my mouth, but this along with WH:AoR both look like I should give them a try.
  • SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Aion is easily ahead of the current western MMOs out, for me at least. Speaking in terms of playability, lasting appeal, artstyle, and the likes. The only games that I can say honestly say have my attention right now are the other Eastern games like TERA. That game just looks amazing.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Well I'm already playing it so I don't know If I would call it hype, it's obvious it's going to be successful and all, but it's the second game I'm looking forward to. The first is Mortal Online, I hope it doesn't follow in DF's footsteps.

• error_404error_404 Member UncommonPosts: 108

It was hype in '06 when this thread was started, I think this was nero'd by that gold seller who was getting around

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by error_404

It was hype in '06 when this thread was started, I think this was nero'd by that gold seller who was getting around

Ahh LOL you're right!

Let's stop bumping this then!

...oops.

• MarkJWMarkJW ColumnistMember Posts: 226

Oh my god this thread is so old! But then someone went and reported a post I made in 2006 advertising AionSource.com and I get an infraction.

What the flying fucking shit?

• error_404error_404 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by MarkJW

Oh my god this thread is so old! But then someone went and reported a post I made in 2006 advertising AionSource.com and I get an infraction.
    What the flying fucking shit?

You serious, that's nasty? Hardly your fault it was necro'd

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

I think a good locking is in order. 

This discussion has been closed.