Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay over Graphics

I don't know about the rest of you, but with me, I would pick good fun gameplay over graphics anyday. The graphics in potbs aren't terrible they just arent like everquest 2 graphics. Anyone who agrees that they would take awesome gameplay over pixel perfect graphics post in agreement. And if you dont agree post and tell me why! thanks

Comments

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Well the character models in EQ2 are horrible, so I am glad the graphics are not similar.

PotBS graphics look good to me.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Indeed, gamplay is always better than graphics, but I still have no idea where the "disappointing graphics" line of thinking comes from. The ship models are incredible the smallest ones are well over 20k polys, with ships like the 104 gun pushing 150k I believe. The character models aren't the greatest, but for something that wasn't planned on being in for launch anyway, they are pretty damn good. On the same note, the character customization is almost on the scale of that of COH/COV, which is awesome... no more clones.

It could be that these particular shots were from a machine on the lower settings... the Devs are trying to optimize the game to be able to run on lower-end computers.

• MMHELMMHEL Member Posts: 313

to me the graphics are great mostly because my computer sucks and i dont look at games with the best graphics

• vampvamp Member Posts: 6
    The problem with this game IMO is that it lacks both gameplay and graphics, but I haven't played it yet so we'll see now wont we.

-vamp

• AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Hmm, what gameplay does it lack exactly? People love to make statements like this, but offer up no proof to back their opinion. This game offers MUCH in the way of gameplay:

Incredibly cool looking naval combat. (watch any of the E3 vids, or any of the trailers?)
    A very realistic economy model, with no "vendor trash". The devs have stated that you will never loot something that isn't of value to you, or another player.
    On that note, the crafting/resouce system is awesome, a mix of SWG (pre-cu of course) and EVE. They have said when they introduce Avatar combat, they will add more to the crafting system, to make it more "personal".
    The game will feature PvP that matters. Something WoW has taken up until now to do, with World PVP missions (even then, I haven't had a chance to check that out on the PTRs, so i have no idea how well implemented it is.)
    PVE and PVP are intertwined, ports won't go into contention (hence making open PVP zones) without alot of work from PVE players, and merchants. That alone, provides for excellent gameplay.

People whine and moan that "this game doesn't have avatar combat, so it sucks."

PotBS, at first, and to some extent, isn't about your avatar, it's about your ship. Thats what Flying labs was going for. That was, and is, a main focus of development before release, ship combat, ship functionality. Only recently, because players asked, and it makes sense, did they add avatars. They have promised avatar dueling and the like... but they want to do it right, not rush it. More people will remember and complain if they rush it and it sucks, than if they hold off, and make it killer.

Graphics wise, again, I wonder if we are looking at the same game. As I said, the focus is on the ships, and Akella did a wonderful job with them. Also, if you care to look, the User Content section is buzzing with PLAYERS making ships for submission into the game. These ships are more often than not truly beautiful, works of art almost.

I can't help but think most of this will be wasted on the various trolls that haunt these forums, but if i can inform at least one person, then it's worth it.

• bluefreak12bluefreak12 Member Posts: 40

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Both are necessary, but game-play is what brings me back for continued play; environment, intelligent npc's, quests, character development, interactivity with players (commerce, combat, community, etc.), and change.  Graphics are more easily implemented and even the most simple graphics can be overcome by immersive and community driven (conflicts and reward) game-play.  But window-dressing alone is something I wont pay for....I can get it for free in a screen-saver.

• RemlicRemlic Member Posts: 40
    I would take The Realm graphics if you gave me great gameplay...
  • DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    this game has award winning graphics, you people need glasses.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.