Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking into EvE...time commitment?

-_Lavos_--_Lavos_- Member Posts: 11

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into playing EVE and was just wondering what type of time commitment is required to be a decent player.  I have played a lot of MMO's in my day but with a new semester in college starting up and time being limited more than usual, I am looking for a game that I can play casually throughout the week and maybe a little more on the weekend.

Please let me know your thoughts and any advice you have!

Comments

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by -_Lavos_-

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking into playing EVE and was just wondering what type of time commitment is required to be a decent player.  I have played a lot of MMO's in my day but with a new semester in college starting up and time being limited more than usual, I am looking for a game that I can play casually throughout the week and maybe a little more on the weekend.

I currently play 1-2 hours a night and some nights not at all...I'm doing just fine in the game...biggest thing is to set goals that you can accomplish in the time you do have, and keep your skill training up so you are advancing even when you can't play.
  • iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Yup, like the guy said above me, you don't really need to spend endless hours on the game, as you don't "Level" by grinding, you simply set a skill to train and it will tell you the amount of time that's needed to train it (skill training continues even if you're offline), then you train it to the next level, or train a new skill.

Oh, and follow the tutorial it's very useful. :)

-iCeh

• aafiskeaafiske Member Posts: 12
    It's probably the easiest goging mmorpg time-commitment-wise. Skills still train when you're not logged in, and although your first batch will go by in a matter of minutes and hours, it starts adding up. There's more than enough ones you can pop on overnight.

Skills are just half the story though. It does take some practice and experience with the world to be competent, and not get blown up. 90% of that you can do via just reading or listening to corpmates, and becoming familiar with the game. (Know how to use the map to look for gatecamps, what's safe to ship around and what's not, how to watch for pirates, etc.)

The forums are astonishingly useful, and generally full of helpful people. (Although a bit flamey if you just whine or fail to at least check the stickies, but who can blame them?) Find a corp to join, fly some missions with friends. The thing to remember is that there are no set goals. You have to find something in the game you enjoy, and make your own. It's very open and intimidating at first, but it also means that no goals: no end. As long as you find playing fun, there'll be something to do.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

In eve you can play one hour a day 5 days a week and do well point is to set goals my goals are currently....

When it comes out get the new Tier 3 caldari battleship.

Get a high level 4 reserch agent [im currently 50% there].

Win the tech 2 BPO lottery.

And corner a regional market in say tech 2 ammo. $£$£$£$£$£$£

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by LordSlater

Amarr 4tw!!!11 

-iCeh

• belonnabelonna Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by LordSlater

In eve you can play one hour a day 5 days a week and do well point is to set goals my goals are currently....

Get a high level 4 reserch agent [im currently 50% there].
    Win the tech 2 BPO lottery.
    And corner a regional market in say tech 2 ammo. $£$£$£$£$£$£

tier three caldari battleship and tier 2 BC first on the list of things to do after kali

good idea on the research agent

lol have fun with the lottery

roflmao you have a btter chance at the lottery if you are trying this by urself with out 5 or 6 macros (note i hate macros if you are one pls tell me where you destroy the eve economy ill pay you a visit)

Live, Breath, Cause. HaVoK

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by -_Lavos_-

Hi Everyone,

I can fly more ships than I can afford. The thing you will miss is ISK by not playing more than others. It's not the end of the world if you aren't filthy rich. You will still have guns, a ship and all the things you need. More than enough to match AI.

If you plan to meet PvP players of a vet nature, you will want to devote more time to banking cash. If you want to mine while you do homework, pick .9 security and mine junk in an Industrial. It's still an income. The thing with Eve is, you can be playing and not really paying much attention if you have other things to do.

Train 24/7. Your actually in a bit of an advantage if you don't mind skilling up and keeping the account active and never really playing the game. You are less likely to get bored silly if you aren't waiting through the early skills for something interesting to do.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by belonna

roflmao you have a btter chance at the lottery if you are trying this by urself with out 5 or 6 macros (note i hate macros if you are one pls tell me where you destroy the eve economy ill pay you a visit)

Who needs macros when you have retail skills

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723
    On the one hand you can play Eve with little time committment, you can play solo or only login to change your skills.

On the other hand, to have fun you need large chunks of time, you need time to get to know people.

Cant really make those social connections on 10 minutes a day.

What the game does well is make you feel real lonely, so people really stick tight to friends, like you'll make 2 or 3 friends, and get real close to them because space makes you feel really isolated.