Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Partying

rnwesrnwes Member Posts: 8
So i've recently hit level 10 and i've read that around this level is where soloing becomes a no no.  I begin to look for a party and after a few hours of waiting around i've given up, it's frustrating.  Is there anything anyone can tell me to make finding a party easier because i've just about had it.  I'm enjoying the game alot and would hate to give it up so soon, anyone?

Comments

• FraltienyFraltieny Member Posts: 26
    Did you go to the dunes? your supposed to go there. And what job are you?
  • AskelAskel Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by rnwes
    So i've recently hit level 10 and i've read that around this level is where soloing becomes a no no.  I begin to look for a party and after a few hours of waiting around i've given up, it's frustrating.  Is there anything anyone can tell me to make finding a party easier because i've just about had it.  I'm enjoying the game alot and would hate to give it up so soon, anyone?

You've got to make the long trek to the Valkrum Dunes to level up. You stay in the dunes untill evel 20 then you make your first trip to Jueno and get a Chocobo. 20-25 you level up in Qufim Island (right off of Jueno) and 25-30 you level up in Kazham.

Edit: If you tell us what job you are and what nation you started as, I can give you directions to the dunes and give you some early advice as to what to expect (and what will be expected of you in a party).
  • rnwesrnwes Member Posts: 8
    Elvaan warrior and started in San d'Oria, sorry I forgot to include this in the OP.

• benhausebenhause Member Posts: 19

Before you start on your way to Valkrum Dunes, make sure you have up to date gear, and have things for sale in the auction house. If you have good gear, you're more likley to get in a party. Make sure you have stuff for sale in the AH (most likely crystals at lower levels) so the next time you stop  by San O Dria you can get your gil. Remember, after your items are sold, your gil is delivered to your Mog House, which you find in the residential area.

To get to the Vulkrum Dunes, first go to WRonfaure. Check your map, and you'll see La Theine Platue. Go there. After you get into the La Theine Platue, check your map again, and you'll see the Vulkrum Dunes. Make your way there, and be very careful to avoid orcs and goblins, and try not to get agro'd because they will most likely be more powerful then you at lvl 10. By the way, make sure you have your 'Seek Party' flag up, by going to your main menu, pressing party, and then pressing 'Seek Party'. Anyway, after you get to the dunes, head down to the Kanshtat (I know I messed up spelling), and wait around there for a party. It should'nt take more then 30 minutes for you to find a party.

If you happen to be on the server Lakshmi, I could help you out, but I'm pretty new myself

Elvaan warrior and started in San d'Oria, sorry I forgot to include this in the OP.

No Problem.

Direction time.. head out of West Ronfaure towards La Theine Plateau. West Ronfaure Map, even though you should have it already, but just incase. Once in La Theine Plateau, just head for the Valkrum Dunes marker. La Theine Plateau Map

I don't remember if you start off with a map of Zulkhiem (which is La Theine Plateu, Valkrum Dunes, etc.) or not. If you don't have a map of the Zulkheim region, I recommend buying one before you head out.

Anyway, once in the dunes just head for Selbina and put your party flag up. Valkrum Dunes Map

You should be safe in Selbina, but while your walking make sure to give Goblins, Orcs, etc. a wide berth. Getting killed while your walking their wouldn't be fun. Also, once in the Dunes stay as far away from Ghouls and Bogy's as possible.. they will aggro you from a ridiculus distance, so just make sure you stay as far away from them as possible.

Now that you have a general idea of how to get there, I'll move on to what you can expect.

In the early levels your be fighting Hill Lizards around the the Konschtat Highlands entrance (look at the map of Valkrum Dunes above to get an idea of where I'm talking about). After that your move onto Snippers/Pugils around the two beaches on either side of Selbina. As a warrior your be expected to mostly tank, so try grabbing some nice armor before you head out. There is a chance that you might get a PLD or NIN in your party also, inwhich case your just be a damage dealer and extra voker, just incase something goes wrong. So make sure to grab a nice weapon before you leave to.

As your be mostly using provoke, set up a macro for it. ("/ja Provoke <t>" is the macro). Then you just have to hit that shortcut to use provoke.

Some Misc. things to note, while in your in La Theine Plateau your see a huge white structure called a Crag. If your not in a real hurry go on and drop by and pick up the Tele-Holla crystal (I believe it's on the northern side of the Crag). You can use that later to have a WHM teleport you to the Crag (which could save you some time).

Also, your going to need to walk back into town at some time to get better equipment. I recommend walking to Bastok VIA Konschat Highlands --> North Gustaberg --> South Gustaberg --> Bastok. Picking up the Tele-Dem crystal in Konschat Highlands as you go along (another crag). You can sight-see in Bastok for awhile, and it'll have basically the same equipment as San D'Oria.
  • TelakiTelaki Member Posts: 361
    You can easilly solo to 15, expecially as a warrior, its after that when it starts to go downhill, and 20+ It becomes pretty difficult.

• rnwesrnwes Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the help people!

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

Im about to do everyone a big favor,

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO USE A GREAT AXE, THANK YOU.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

Originally posted by wyzwun

Depends on what you plan on doing later. My entire career as WAR (which was up to level 30) I used a scythe, because I planned on becomnig DRK/WAR later on. If you plan on going WAR/NIN then using an axe and a shield would be the best (then when you get NIN you can use double axes).

PLD/WAR? Use something with a shield.. getting your sheild skill up is a priority.

Originally posted by Askel

Depends on what you plan on doing later. My entire career as WAR (which was up to level 30) I used a scythe, because I planned on becomnig DRK/WAR later on. If you plan on going WAR/NIN then using an axe and a shield would be the best (then when you get NIN you can use double axes).

PLD/WAR? Use something with a shield.. getting your sheild skill up is a priority.

No, not really. Every weapon will skill up enough as you use it. Theres no real reason you should be Gimp if you know better. Since this is his first time through, If he uses a scythe it'll be because he doesn't know theres better options. Axe or Great Axe would do worlds better, But why? Hmm, Well, Warrior has an A- in Axe, A+ in Great Axe, and B+ In scythe. Skill level increases 2 things, Accuracy & Attack, More accuracy will make you do more damage obviously. So right from the start, just looking at Core Skill levels Great Axe is a better choice, But i'll go on.

Being his first time through, He'll use STR rings, If he even touches food before 30 they'll be kabobs. Mighty Strikes will be known as "Mighty Misses", The only TP he'll ever get is if he's tanking. Because he doesn't know any better, He'll load up on +attack, Weapons that have highest damage. And all the way up untill somone says somthing, and he realizes it. He'll be a Gimp war.

First, don't be giving bad advice. No matter how helpful you're trying to be, Giving people a reason to be gimp is bad advice, Its as bad as people skipping over spells, or using the same equipment for 10+ lvls who don't want to spend any money on their subjob., And second I know exactally what i'm talking about because I was a Gimp Scythe war up untill I quit that job, that character entirely at lvl 28.

Originally posted by Telaki

No, not really. Every weapon will skill up enough as you use it. Theres no real reason you should be Gimp if you know better. Since this is his first time through, If he uses a scythe it'll be because he doesn't know theres better options. Axe or Great Axe would do worlds better, But why? Hmm, Well, Warrior has an A- in Axe, A+ in Great Axe, and B+ In scythe. Skill level increases 2 things, Accuracy & Attack, More accuracy will make you do more damage obviously. So right from the start, just looking at Core Skill levels Great Axe is a better choice, But i'll go on.

Being his first time through, He'll use STR rings, If he even touches food before 30 they'll be kabobs. Mighty Strikes will be known as "Mighty Misses", The only TP he'll ever get is if he's tanking. Because he doesn't know any better, He'll load up on +attack, Weapons that have highest damage. And all the way up untill somone says somthing, and he realizes it. He'll be a Gimp war.

First, don't be giving bad advice. No matter how helpful you're trying to be, Giving people a reason to be gimp is bad advice, Its as bad as people skipping over spells, or using the same equipment for 10+ lvls who don't want to spend any money on their subjob., And second I know exactally what i'm talking about because I was a Gimp Scythe war up untill I quit that job, that character entirely at lvl 28.

The differance between A+ & A- against B+ is very minor at low levels. Now at level 75 a war using a Scythe would be gimped (the differance between 10 damage and 23 damage a hit), but at level 20 it would only mean a 2 ATTACK/ACCU lost (and at level 30 it's only 4). Getting to know the weaponskills and there effects would be more important and having the combat skill already leveled up will help when you go to level a new job with that weapon.

IMO he would be better off making it easier for himself at the low levels by leveling the combat skill now. Espicially given the minimal differance between them at the low levels.

The differance between A+ & A- against B+ is very minor at low levels. Now at level 75 a war using a Scythe would be gimped (the differance between 10 damage and 23 damage a hit), but at level 20 it would only mean a 2 ATTACK/ACCU lost (and at level 30 it's only 4). Getting to know the weaponskills and there effects would be more important and having the combat skill already leveled up will help when you go to level a new job with that weapon.

IMO he would be better off making it easier for himself at the low levels by leveling the combat skill now. Espicially given the minimal differance between them at the low levels.

Okay, tell me this, Would you advice somone to use a Dagger 1-30 On warrior, then 1-37 On ninja, because they planed to be a thf? Or even going 1-37 on War using H2H because of their monk dream. Or how about Lvling MNK with Club because you already lvled it on WHM! , All weapons will cap in skill before you reach your next level. Theres no reason to Gimp your jobs. Do you realize how much time and effort it will take to lvl Great Axe to Cap at lvl 30 (Whats cap at lvl 30, 94?) If he ever decides to come back.

Okay, tell me this, Would you advice somone to use a Dagger 1-30 On warrior, then 1-37 On ninja, because they planed to be a thf? Or even going 1-37 on War using H2H because of their monk dream. Or how about Lvling MNK with Club because you already lvled it on WHM! , All weapons will cap in skill before you reach your next level. Theres no reason to Gimp your jobs. Do you realize how much time and effort it will take to lvl Great Axe to Cap at lvl 30 (Whats cap at lvl 30, 94?) If he ever decides to come back.

Your taking weapons and putting them in the most impratical situtations possible. Dagger's won't do enough damage with a WAR job. H2H with a war is D level, where as Scythe is B+. There is a huge differance between H2H and Great Axe/Axe.. the differance between Scythe and Great Axe/Axe is, as I said earlier.. minimal. 93 is he cap for Axe/Great axe for a level 30 WAR. At level 30 the differance between a WAR using a Axe/Great Axe and one using a Scythe is only about one level (if you take 4 combat skill points each level). Cap for Scythe for a level 30 WAR is 89 BTW.

Tell me, have you ever noticed a huge hit/miss differance between ONE level? Going above 30 would be impratical, but if you plan on just taking a job to 30 then it won't make much of a differance.

It won't really take that much effort. I used swords for awhile as THF (because dual weilded Mithran Scimitars gave me Dex +6). It took no time to get my dagger skill back up, here's a situtation:

Okay, so someone takes their WAR to 30 using a scythe. Quests for DRK and starts using a scythe full time, manages to get DRK to level 60... so they now need to go level WAR some more.. or risk being gimped (or even if they want to take War 50+). Solution? Equip your DRK with a great axe and go kill some level 30-40 mobs. The Level 60 DRK will beable to handle it no problem.. and your combat skill will shoot up in no time. You could even make some gil off of it.

If you prefer using ONLY A+ or A- weapons with a job, fine. That's your choice and not a bad one either and I agree using anything but the A+ or A- weapons for any job above level 30 would be stupid. However, below level 30 the differance between A and B skills are barely noticeable.

Your taking weapons and putting them in the most impratical situtations possible. Dagger's won't do enough damage with a WAR job. H2H with a war is D level, where as Scythe is B+. There is a huge differance between H2H and Great Axe/Axe.. the differance between Scythe and Great Axe/Axe is, as I said earlier.. minimal. 93 is he cap for Axe/Great axe for a level 30 WAR. At level 30 the differance between a WAR using a Axe/Great Axe and one using a Scythe is only about one level (if you take 4 combat skill points each level). Cap for Scythe for a level 30 WAR is 89 BTW.

Tell me, have you ever noticed a huge hit/miss differance between ONE level? Going above 30 would be impratical, but if you plan on just taking a job to 30 then it won't make much of a differance.

It won't really take that much effort. I used swords for awhile as THF (because dual weilded Mithran Scimitars gave me Dex +6). It took no time to get my dagger skill back up, here's a situtation:

Okay, so someone takes their WAR to 30 using a scythe. Quests for DRK and starts using a scythe full time, manages to get DRK to level 60... so they now need to go level WAR some more.. or risk being gimped (or even if they want to take War 50+). Solution? Equip your DRK with a great axe and go kill some level 30-40 mobs. The Level 60 DRK will beable to handle it no problem.. and your combat skill will shoot up in no time. You could even make some gil off of it.

If you prefer using ONLY A+ or A- weapons with a job, fine. That's your choice and not a bad one either and I agree using anything but the A+ or A- weapons for any job above level 30 would be stupid. However, below level 30 the differance between A and B skills are barely noticeable.

Yes, theives can use swords, its actually adviced to use swords untill 33 because they do more damage, expeically SA > Fast blade. But your average 180 delay (150 if you use platoon dagers) skill a whole lot faster then a 500 delay GA.

Since i'm playing seriro aswell, Say that 30 Scythe warrior unlocks Drk, plays it to about 30 then realizes he doesn't like it as much as he liked Warrior, So now you've got a 30 Scythe Warrior Main, If he takes it your way chances are he'll continue to lvl Warrior with a scythe And be Gimp untill he either makes some friends who'll help him skill up, or tries skilling up on his own, resulting in many days spent skilling somthing he was told he'll never need. At lvl 30, at most, you can prolly kill worms in Qufim, that'll get your skill to upper 60's maybe 70? Next he'll try to party with a weapon 20+ lvls under caped. --- All i'm saying here, is if he EVER decides to go back to warrior before his new job greatlly surpasses the lvl of his old, He's going to have a pretty rough time, and a lot of harrasment, possibly resulting in quiting the game.