Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New EVE player looking for skill help!

-_Lavos_--_Lavos_- Member Posts: 11

Hey Everyone,

So I have decided to play EVE after reading some comments on my last post and need some help.

I started off as a Minmatar and have completed the tutorial and such and have been training my skills around the clock.  I have only been playing for a few days so  I have not completed much, but I am looking for some help on the path I should take as I train skills.

Soooo...first off, I am looking to PVP a lot in the future.  I was wondering what skills to train in order to get myself ready for that.  I am very new to all of this and a good skill path could help immensely.  Also, I am wondering what are the best types of ships for me to fly and what I should focus on in that sense.

Aside from this, I am also looking to join a corporation that is open to newbs.  I am not looking for handouts, but rather a good means to get into the game and learn all I can about it.  I am a dedicated player with a history of MMO's and am looking to dedicate myself to this one.

Any help or advice anyone can give is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Welcome to EVE.

check out this
    http://tosgi.hunter.hu/downloads/tosgi_guide_01-[basic_skill_training].zip

and this
    http://tosgi.hunter.hu/downloads/tosgi_guide_01_basic_ship_fitting.zip

Those two should give you a general idea. For starter try to go for a Rifter frigate. They are quite good for several situations.

Generally Minmatar ships are very versatile, at the price of more skills needed than for other races. All in all they have some very nice ships though, so its worth going for them. If you have any other question feel free to ask, or join channel TOSGI in game and ask there (GMT evenings).

Regarding a corp I would check out the recruitment forum on eve-online.com.
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=109585

Definitely the first place you should look. Although EVE-University, a corporation concentrating on teaching new players EVE, would be quite a good choice too.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Contact me ingame my name's "Agricola Augusta" my corp is part of a medium sized alliance and we do daily pvp ops in 0.0 that you can join straight away. We are on vent and you'll get all the information you need to help you start out, so send me an EVE mail if you're interested in joining.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

To begine with mimitar ships are pretty good for PvP atribute wise. They are fast and have a good alpha strike.

Skill wise its best that you begine by training frigate skill to 4 that way any mimitar frigate you fly will have a good skill bonus attached to it [each ship has skill bonuses which is determined by your skill level]. Also train up your gunnery skills to at least level 3 and when i say gunnery skills i also mean the sub skills too such as sharpshooting.

Also because mimitar are duel wepon users try training your light missile sskills to 3 as well including any sub skills there are. Then finally train to use afterburners and get navigation to level 3.

There if you have done all this you now have the absics for a combat frigate. My final piece of advice is for you to train up your learning skills to a decent level so as to reducce your learning times.

• FitterFitter Member Posts: 16

If you are brand new make sure your character has high perception and intelligence. Those are king for training up the later big skills. Willpower is good to, if you plan on being a drone master Memory, but generally the biggest skills have perception as primary and intelligence.

Train up to Frig 4 then cruiser 1. Train mining 4. Train Science and Cybernetics. Beg borrow steal and get implants in your head the bigger the better.

Train your learning skills

there is a guide on the eveforums skills section on a sticky.

This is the worst part of the game, a month or 2 of training learning skills while you mine and rat. but now you are set for the rest of the game.

• JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

Get yourself in a Rifter, get some decent gunnery skills and frigate skills. Join a corp which will train you in combat.

After doing this you can build up your learning skills to reasonable levels. (say lv3)