Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Testing

i was wondering does any company  still sign people up for testing beta's for weekly/ or more feedback about how game play is ect.  or  for  home testing paid jobs.  i have been away from my games for about 2 years, depressing, and i wanna go back into doing game testing and write ups.  my job as a computer tech at cornell university is nice but to stress full campiared to game playing. feel free to tell me i am stupid for asking all this or send me any info you have. thank you for your time.

~the pain in your arm is only there cause your brain is telling you its there, so push away the pain to push away your fears~me

Comments

• Pyro_InsomniacPyro_Insomniac Member Posts: 62
    I don't know if you can get paid to test games however most game companies that have games in beta do want/require feedback mainly bug reporting. I've noticed however that it has become a trend for companies to launch their games full of bugs and glitches.  I've also noticed most of the high-end system games tend to be on a closed beta test... just check out the Game List on this site it has a ton of games that are inbBeta/early dev stages.  I hope I helped. image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Adventure... heh! Excitement... heh! A Jedi craves not these things" -Yoda, Silent Bob

Down with Wizards of the Coast! Long live TSR!

"Adventure... heh! Excitement... heh! A Jedi craves not these things" -Yoda, Silent Bob

• knutknut Member Posts: 46
    I totaly agree with you m8! A good example of a bug game is gothic 2! I can not count all the bugs in that game! Anyway i loved the game (besides the bugs)...

• UifzUifz Member Posts: 252
    I don't think that will ever happen again because nowadays, people would love to beta test a game for "free" they will do anything.  And even some cases, people actually pay to beta test such as The Sims Online cost 5.99 for Shipping or something like that, but postage is only 34 Cents, so hmmm.. So Companies can actually make alot of money from giving out beta cd's because people will pay to test the game and save alot by not having to pay the beta tester like it used to be a while back.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I doubt it happens anymore.

First pre beta test is usually 50 to 100 people who are employees or close friends.

This close friends are given a so called priveledge and are not paid.

From beta 1 to 3 which is closed people are invited and again people rush to be able to play and sometimes you have to pay rather then be paid.SWG was somewhere near 20 dollars charge.

So it is rare if even occurs again to be paid to test games nowadays.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    I feel bad for the over worked nipple of the cash cow.  Everyone wants a piece of this MMORPG world so everyone and their dad's are making one as fast as they can... and they aren't taken their time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Yes the amount of new mmrpg coming out is mind blowing.

And yes everyone is making them .

But this does not really mean a bad thing.

First in a year's time I think we will see prices of subscription going down in a bid to attract people.

Also after a few bad loses the cowboys will back off leaving real programmers and people with ideas to make MMO.

However we are going thru the bad phase now .

First game I noticed was AO.But is was not too bad and had some ideas.Also WW2 online came out same time and made AO look good .

DAoC kept things back on track where everquest and UO left  out and the future of MMO looked great again!

But then it seems to happen all at once .E & B ,jumpgate ,AC2 came and were a real step back offering nothing in gameplay only in graphics.

Sims online took in yet more backwards.

Then what really made me realise not everyone should make MMO was shadowbane .Nightmare of a MMO- not only did its gameplay continue to show the general decline it made a time warp in graphics too!!!!!!

Planetside and star wars have made a bit of improvement on the recent releases(not hard after shadowbane really) but are nowhere back on track .

Horizons is next to come out and will have the weight of trying to rekindle the MMO magic like DAoC did 2 years earlier .

Best of luck horizons you have my faith but it better make some headway because I will spam the boards if it does not LOL.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I BETA tested Shadowbane and I thought it was pretty decent,  even played it after it went gold,  only to hold onto that dream of one day the bugs (lag, etc etc etc) getting fixed.  Never happened.  I sat back and waited patch after patch only to see the game get more bugs then before,  finally my friend and I had to quit,  the game got to boreing and there was never anything going on.

I've BETA tested EVE-Online too and I thought it wasn't to great.  I loved the idea,  graphics,  gameplay,  everything,  but it was to slow for my taste.

I'm hopeing that either Wish,  Horizons and even World of Warcraft (biggest hope) will brind the MMORPGs back into full gear.  I'm must agree with you on the way the MMORPGs are going... backwards,  not forwards. 

From what I've read,  EverQuest II will "remake" the game and show everyone the light in MMORPGs,  I only think it's going to be EQ1 with a face lift,  but then again,  I could be wrong.

Only time will tell. . .  image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

BUMP