Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression server a hit! How about a pre-Luclin server next!!!

2»

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Odenathus

I won't look down on you and speak mockingly of you, regarding your opinion of a game that I see as easy - a cake walk - a mindless challenge, which I no longer play. :)

I will.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

You mean it's possible to "AFK" level a character in WoW? Several Necros sites can tell you what mobs even. AFK level is not possible in WoW!

A dr00d is hard to play, rofl, please  ? A single dr00d can PL someone easily. A quad kiting, can't be killed character. Except the dumb manage to die, with SoW and snare it is really pathetic to die. I took someones 29th dr00d and proved to them they could solo a deep red Sand Giant, not possible to solo a deep red in WoW , sorry. Guess thats why EQ when it was the only 3D MMORPG was so unsuccessful and WoW has 6 million+ playing

Imagine what will happen when these "uber" guilds get 3-6 characters power leveling a single character of one of their buddies so he can join. Thats why you will never get in their guilds and always be second rate. BTW, the Emp key is not that easy to get and I had it and 63rd in 7 days played! Oh yea I was partially PLed by a single dr00d, and then several took over so we had another cleric for the Emp encounter. WoW is much more difficult to play I assure you. For instance I often multi-boxed EQ raids, but never do in WoW. I did one keying raid in EQ1 with me 3 boxing, another guy 3 boxing, and 3 single played characters and none of the single played characters were even aware. The clerics were boxed characters and performed flawlessly.

Notice EQ2 and WoW made PLing near impossible, EQ1 has way to many flaws to take seriously as a MMORPG.

I am sorry that you can't even use search engines all of you finding EQ "difficult", maybe thats why you don't know about http://www.rpgexpert.com/2828.html .

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

Originally posted by sebbonx

You mean it's possible to "AFK" level a character in WoW? Several Necros sites can tell you what mobs even. AFK level is not possible in WoW!
     A dr00d is hard to play, rofl, please  ? A single dr00d can PL someone easily. A quad kiting, can't be killed character. Except the dumb manage to die, with SoW and snare it is really pathetic to die. I took someones 29th dr00d and proved to them they could solo a deep red Sand Giant, not possible to solo a deep red in WoW , sorry. Guess thats why EQ when it was the only 3D MMORPG was so unsuccessful and WoW has 6 million+ playing
    Imagine what will happen when these "uber" guilds get 3-6 characters power leveling a single character of one of their buddies so he can join. Thats why you will never get in their guilds and always be second rate. BTW, the Emp key is not that easy to get and I had it and 63rd in 7 days played! Oh yea I was partially PLed by a single dr00d, and then several took over so we had another cleric for the Emp encounter. WoW is much more difficult to play I assure you. For instance I often multi-boxed EQ raids, but never do in WoW. I did one keying raid in EQ1 with me 3 boxing, another guy 3 boxing, and 3 single played characters and none of the single played characters were even aware. The clerics were boxed characters and performed flawlessly.
    Notice EQ2 and WoW made PLing near impossible, EQ1 has way to many flaws to take seriously as a MMORPG.
    I am sorry that you can't even use search engines all of you finding EQ "difficult", maybe thats why you don't know about http://www.rpgexpert.com/2828.html .

Who cares if Willie Nelson quintuple boxes only his closest friends to the top of the top celebrity guild? We're talking about a single person playing the beep game and its beep beep damn difficult! Starting from scratch on a new server with no presents from nice buddies. Using a friggin Tarnished Long Sword until level 14 because of bad luck on drops. You probably got PL'd in the first place and that's why you're so sour on EQ! Yup, I know I nailed it.

I'm playing on a new server with only the release game available atm and I'm just me playing EQ and it's still the best MMORPG ever made. Trouble is, no game can be all games to all people. When you try and do that you get WoW. A very pretty roller coaster ride to the top level. They always point you in the right direction where to go. In EQ when you're brand new you have to talk to other players to find out where to go and what to do. Oh plus Trains because there are no instances.

You still don't get it, maybe if you used a search engine the game wouldn't be so hard for you. The Bard made 65th in 2-3 days played without twinking. My dr00d was easy as heck, and AFK leveling is a farce. I can't help it an easy game is hard for you, WoW is actually harder then EQ1. Imagine 8 Mages set up in different levels allowing exp groups power leveling another account! You wouldn't ever even have to play.

I also can't help it the little kids playing MMORPGs can't afford two computers, maybe if they weren't raiding and wasting their lives 70+ hours a week they could earn some money. A computer to play EQ is $300 top if you have half a clue. Most playing EQ1 and Vanguard don't seem to have that clue.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You still don't get it, maybe if you used a search engine the game wouldn't be so hard for you. The Bard made 65th in 2-3 days played without twinking. My dr00d was easy as heck, and AFK leveling is a farce. I can't help it an easy game is hard for you, WoW is actually harder then EQ1. Imagine 8 Mages set up in different levels allowing exp groups power leveling another account! You wouldn't ever even have to play.
    I also can't help it the little kids playing MMORPGs can't afford two computers, maybe if they weren't raiding and wasting their lives 70+ hours a week they could earn some money. A computer to play EQ is $300 top if you have half a clue. Most playing EQ1 and Vanguard don't seem to have that clue.

For many people, leveling as fast as possible isn't the point. The point is to have a personal experience as their character rather than to just get as many experience points as possible as fast as possible. They don't WANT to level AFK. They don't want to (in essence) cheat. They want to play the game. They want to play their one character thoroughly, and learn all the subtleties of their class. On regular servers, they want to set goals like "Access to Anguish/Dreadspire/Deathknell" and "Epic 2.0 and PoR gear" and then struggle to find the people and the resources to do those things (and many people won't succeed). Getting to 70 and collecting a bazillion AAs is the easy part, relatively speaking. On progression servers, they are scraping together the money for armor, camping/looting what they can, meeting new people (the people they are going to need later on) and planning their path through the progression. And that's not necessarily as easy as slamming through the levels by any means possible. It is, however, a lot more fun.

I played WoW and I didn't find it satisfactory. I like the classes and class abilities in EQ better. I like the selection of races better. I like the world and the lore better. I found the conveyor belt of quests in WoW for feel more like processing my character than playing it. Apparently you like WoW better. Yay! Good for you! I am glad you have found the game you enjoy.

Is it worth blowing through 65 levels without SEEING anything? For what? What's the purpose in that? It would seem that YOU feel like there was a point to doing that, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us scratching our heads and staring at you like you've grown antennae.

Maybe it isn't that we don't have a clue. Maybe we are playing the same software, but not the same game as you.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• GnomadGnomad Member Posts: 377

Is it worth blowing through 65 levels without SEEING anything? For what? What's the purpose in that? It would seem that YOU feel like there was a point to doing that, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us scratching our heads and staring at you like you've grown antennae.

Actually if you blow to 65 then you can see just about any oldworld content you want at your leisure. What is going to attack you when you are upwards of 60 levels above it?

I think that you should enjoy the trip along with the end result but not all people feel that way.

I found EQ totally repetetive, boring and a timesink designed to hold you back so that Sony could soak you longer for a monthly fee. I still took me over 2 years to realize that and I go back now and then to see how things have changed, just like I go back home to see how things have changed. I just don't live there anymore and everytime I go back I remember why I left.

EQ is easy and when I hear people talk like it requires so much skill I can't help from actually LOL. There is no skill in this game and very little in any MMORPG. FPS games require skill and coordination, MMORPG's don't.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'd say that the MAIN skill involved in EQ is social skills.

I have played both ways-- playing through and blowing through to the endgame (and 65 with 10AAs is a "noob" these days, after all), and FOR ME, I only value the characters that have a story to tell. "Sat in Zone X for 5 levels grinding out XP with cleric throwing Mark of the Righteous" hardly constitutes and interesting story. I've DELETED level 65 characters because they were just taking up room... Back in the day when I cared one way or the other.

I don't live in EQ either. I play games (including EQ2, EQ1, NWN, and endless rounds of Mah Jong) about 10 hours a week, COMBINED. Personally, I prefer EQ2 over EQ1, but I am not going to come here and belittle others who have shown patience and perserverance in overcoming obstacles that they found difficult just because I want to be a game snob. 

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

Now I know you're grasping at straws because you go back to your B.S. power levelling arguement. I am talking about a single person playing without going to third party sites to get all the  secrets to the game. Some of us actually just play that way. And when you do, it's about 10 times harder than WoW. The fact that you think WoW is harder than EQ just shows me I'm wasing my breath and that you have no real clue about MMORPG's at all.

My neice is now 12 years old and she has a level 60 rogue on one of the PvP servers. You sir are not smart. Why don't you change your sig to "Hey everyone, I'm stupid and I lie!" because that's basically what it says.

The reason 6 million people have WoW accounts is beause it is

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

My character had 12 days played to 62 or 63 and 10AA's. It's on EQplayers, Stromm server, "Sebbon" I sold him and moved him though since then, someone else plays him now. Yes, he had the "Emp" key and I quit right around Luclin.

So you quit around Luclin at level 62 or 63?  Pretty impressive.  Ill give you a few chances to guess *why* thats so impressive.  The deep intellect you display in your sig should make this easy.
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Shazzel

Actually if you have a pre-formed xp group and a decent guild EQ is easier than WoW. I got to 35 nearly naked in 4 days without a guild. IF i had one and a solid xp group id be 44-50.
    Word is someone hit 50 this morning on combine so thats 8 days to 50 with no twinking. The fastest leveler on WoW (Mancow) takes around 120 hours to 57-60 (new servers).
    People think WoW is easier because you can solo or quest but the time comes out the same. Im assuming blizzard modeled the timeframe around other games like EQ1 and daoc. They wanted it to take as long but removed forced grouping. (thus it seems easier since you have no need to wait on random_idiots to progress)
     If your playing EQ and surround yourself with power gamers you'll level quite fast.

That is more or less true.  If you exclude all form of powerleveling and play "honestly", no matter how hardcore and how devoted you are, if you group with peoples of your level, EQ will still take sometimes to level up...far longer than WoW.

Of course if you group with peoples of various levels and always level fast because ANOTHER player is leveling you up, yes, you will level up a LOT faster in EQ.  But having a higher level to spent his time for you to level up fast is something you didn't include in your formulae.  But that implies having peoples higher level than you waiting to speed you up...so the leeche level up fast, but the hardwork is still done by another.

8 days with no twinking, playing the character in rotation...8 X 20 = 160 hours roughtly, divided among 3 players...2 days in rotation was more than what it took to get a character to level 50 in WoW, so that is about 40 hours divided among 2 players.  40 hours is 1/4 of 160 hours.

Yes, with a level 60+ cleric and a level 60+ chanter, you can level up a level 1 to 50 in 2 days in EQ, but that is taking the time of 2 highbees...so it is like 6 days of work.  I dunno about abusing WoW features to level up a lowbie fast, but doing level 50 in 2 days is possible without any highbee help.

Sebbonx:  Since you enjoy to bring "feats" to argue, may I tell you I was possibly the first character with maxed AAs on my server, maybe even serverwide, after PoP hit the shelves (I was sitting on 200 just before PoP release, which help a LOT, as most folks with more AAs than me where not playing anymore, I was having a lead on most motivated folks).  I dunno exactly, but by mid march 2003 I was sitting on my 545 AAs(max for a chanter back then)...and I only play fairly, not really abusing any feature to do that fast...and I am telling you, even by abusing the system as best as you can, EQ is a hell lot longer than WoW would ever be.  Don't say it is bad, it is different.  I call LoS noobs and it hurt their feelings as they train me to show me how they feel about it, I bitch, they train, I bitch more...because I more or less hit home and it annoy them to see a non-raiding chanter with more AAs than their folks...but I have an unfair edge, I didn't have to devote my time in their raid-sink. 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by neschria

Main?  It depend.  If you play a chanter, social become a secondary skill!    Still matter, but far less.  I did just fine by not honeying some key players.  I agree that a shadowknight or any melee have a different life however.

Been just a RPG player and understanding some concepts help a LOT.  That understanding capacity is often underrated by many players.  Granted it is not THAT advance, yet it is significative and many players fails constantly to display these skills, especially raid-oriented players.  Gear can more or less outmatch these chronics flaws, but they also have to group a few players with these basics skills and the capacity to adapt to their flawed style...and raiders shows a huge problem to adapt...especially if they where monkey-teached 1 single aspect, they have to repeat it and can't consider other adaptations...and they start blaming anyone who is not following the precise plan their elders show them.  Yet, socially talking, they are very skilled...but they lack some basic skills...and no amount of loot even compensate...yes they can replicate, but they have to be shown everything...hehe  I am far from perfect myself, but I try to adapt an evolve...I find it funny to see some peoples who don't.

Originally posted by neschria

Main?  It depend.  If you play a chanter, social become a secondary skill!    Still matter, but far less.  I did just fine by not honeying some key players.  I agree that a shadowknight or any melee have a different life however.

Been just a RPG player and understanding some concepts help a LOT.  That understanding capacity is often underrated by many players.  Granted it is not THAT advance, yet it is significative and many players fails constantly to display these skills, especially raid-oriented players.  Gear can more or less outmatch these chronics flaws, but they also have to group a few players with these basics skills and the capacity to adapt to their flawed style...and raiders shows a huge problem to adapt...especially if they where monkey-teached 1 single aspect, they have to repeat it and can't consider other adaptations...and they start blaming anyone who is not following the precise plan their elders show them.  Yet, socially talking, they are very skilled...but they lack some basic skills...and no amount of loot even compensate...yes they can replicate, but they have to be shown everything...hehe  I am far from perfect myself, but I try to adapt an evolve...I find it funny to see some peoples who don't.

Originally posted by anarchyart

Now I know you're grasping at straws because you go back to your B.S. power levelling arguement. I am talking about a single person playing without going to third party sites to get all the  secrets to the game. Some of us actually just play that way. And when you do, it's about 10 times harder than WoW. The fact that you think WoW is harder than EQ just shows me I'm wasing my breath and that you have no real clue about MMORPG's at all.

My neice is now 12 years old and she has a level 60 rogue on one of the PvP servers. You sir are not smart. Why don't you change your sig to "Hey everyone, I'm stupid and I lie!" because that's basically what it says.

The reason 6 million people have WoW accounts is beause it is

The reason WoW has 6 million players is it is great and EQ is shit.

The reason WoW has 6 million players is it is great and EQ is *expletive deleted by me*.

No it's because WoW is Fisher Price easy. Thanks for coming out.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Actually WoW has 6 million subs (which I don't believe anymore) because of EQ.  Think of all the press time and media coverage EQ got when people commited suicide over it and the CBS evening news did that expose.  People got into MMORPG's because of games like EQ.  Also just because something is popular don't make it good.  See------->soccer.

Peace bizatch

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by anarchyart

The reason WoW has 6 million players is it is great and EQ is *expletive deleted by me*.

No it's because WoW is Fisher Price easy. Thanks for coming out.

It's because EQ stinks that it has no subscriber base. Sebbonx PROVED beyond a shadow of a doupt, and so have the new players on the new servers that EQ is as easy or EASIER then WoW to level in! The fact exploits like AFK Necromancer leveling is in EQ proves how shoddy Verant and SOE are at fixing exploits. EQ is a piss poor product and it's own game designer admits the combat engine only survived to Velious. The game graphics are beyond lame and player base is pathetic. But I blame SOE pumping out shoddy expansions more then WoW greatness. I really didn't care for WoW's graphics much either and quit that game long ago.

SOE had a hit and wish a trus CLASSIC server would open.

Originally posted by krenalor

It's because EQ stinks that it has no subscriber base. Sebbonx PROVED beyond a shadow of a doupt, and so have the new players on the new servers that EQ is as easy or EASIER then WoW to level in! The fact exploits like AFK Necromancer leveling is in EQ proves how shoddy Verant and SOE are at fixing exploits. EQ is a piss poor product and it's own game designer admits the combat engine only survived to Velious. The game graphics are beyond lame and player base is pathetic. But I blame SOE pumping out shoddy expansions more then WoW greatness. I really didn't care for WoW's graphics much either and quit that game long ago.
    SOE had a hit and wish a trus CLASSIC server would open.

Wow, I thought you were joking at first and I was laughing but then I realized you were serious. Sebbonx PROVED?? Oh ok, let me prove I'm Donald Trump. I'm Donald Trump! There, see how that works? If you think EQ is easier than WoW to level in without using exploits then you are a crackbaby.

People who use exploits are little bedwetters who can't play or are too lazy to play the game the way it was intended. If you judge a game by exploiters/farmers/hackers then all games suck, including you're much loved WoW. EQ is 10 times harder than WoW for new players (i.e. players who are new to the respective games) and only through years of playing can you level anywhere near as fast as in WoW. Unless you get power levelled by your uber buddies, in which case you are missing out on the whole freaking point. Pwnt.

• knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I've played both to there level caps and hands down WoW is easier to level than EQ. I'm pretty sure pl'd/twinked/buffed EQ is quicker tho to level compared to WoW, but that's another story for another time. In any case tho who cares this is a EQ forum not a WoW forum. If you don't like EQ go elsewhere or rant in the special I hate sony rant thread that was made for the cry babies. The reason wow has 6 million users is because it's still a very new game they haven't even had there first expansion yet and appeals more to the average gamer since it's easier and less time consuming overall. EQ was once the most played mmo as well and uo players still prefered uo they were both good in there own right regardless of which was more widely played and uo before eq and warhammer will likely be more popular than WoW. Will that take away from wow being a fun game or eq or uo nope player base might shrink a little, but they'll still be good games and have more content to offer than any new mmo could possibly offer. Unless bill gates himself made a mmo preinstalled with windows vista that was free to play possibly ;)
  • OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

My gawdz! Some of you are killing me here!

Originally posted by kernalor in another thread
    It's because EQ stinks that it has no subscriber base. Sebbonx PROVED beyond a shadow of a doupt, and so have the new players on the new servers that EQ is as easy or EASIER then WoW to level in!

I'm going to start here.
    As far as I can tell, please, correct me if I missed something, Sebbonx's proof consists of 3 things;

1) The character Sebbon being lvl 63 with 10 AAs with 10 days played.

2) His claim that he can AFK lvl a necro to some unstated level.

3) Sebbonx stated opinion that EverQuest is indeed easier than World of WarCraft.

Challenge #1 PLing a toon.

This brings us to a daffynition; play

Non-EQ fanbois see the flaws in the engine and consider exploiting them as justification for saying EQ suckeths.

EQ fanbois do not define exploiting a design flaw to level your character as "playing" the game.

My wife, who had never played a video game prior to meeting me, has a World of WarCraft character. I ask her to patch and load it and give me a screen shot.

Candela - 60 Tauren Hunter

If you zoom in on the chat window, you can see that she has 29 days played, 10 of those in her current level (that means she made level 60 in 19 days). Candela is fully keyed for every raid zone up to but not including Onyxia's lair (the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj, and Naxxramas had not been released when she stopped playing).

I believe this shows that in leveling characters to higher levels, it is possible, in either game to do so, in a very short time window. Does this prove one game is better than the other? You would have to look at how the characters where leveled and decide for yourself, which system was for you.

Challenge #2 AFK leveling exploit

I'd actually like to see you do this now, in EQ. I phrase it this way, because I don't know, I've not played a necro past level 35, but it is my understanding that this exploit has been patched and is no longer available. Show me.

At the same time, it is true that you could never do this in World of WarCraft. However, I also believe that the logic behind WoW makes it unnecessary.

Originally posted on wikipedia
    World of Warcraft ... Featuring a low learning curve, easy level advancement, and "hack-n-slash" gameplay with minimal experience grinding and low down-time...

Pointing out a design flaw in EQ does not automagically make WoW a better game. Allow me a moment to point to one minor WoW flaw. While I suffered through this plague, personally, I found it hilarious. Apparently I was a minorty as several thousand players bombarded Blizzard with complaints. A simple google search (as Sebbonx pointed out in one of his posts) will quickly lead you to a list of flaws, for either game.

Challenge #3 My word against yours

This is a no win argument.

... Numbers continued rising at a steady rate until mid-2001 when growth slowed. As of 2004, Sony reports subscription numbers close to 450,000.

As of March 2006, World of Warcraft has more than 6,000,000 players worldwide. Over 1 million of these players live in the US, making it the most popular MMORPG in the US. 1.5 million of the players are from the Chinese launch on July 7, 2005. These numbers exclude all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or canceled subscriptions, and expired pre-paid cards. Blizzard also stated that at any given time at least 500,000 subscribers are online.

WoW has a larger subscriber base, EQ is older - neither fact shows us which is better, only points out one more difference between the two games.

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

On another note, lets look at Sebbon alittle closer, shall we?!

Class : Cleric
    Level : 63

My character had 12 days played to 62 or 63 and 10AA's. It's on EQplayers, Stromm server, "Sebbon" I sold him and moved him though since then, someone else plays him now. Yes, he had the "Emp" key and I quit right around Luclin.

Let us look at one more thing...

Expansion release dates:
    The Ruins of Kunark (March 2000)
    The Scars of Velious (December 2000)
    The Shadows of Luclin (December 2001)
    The Planes of Power (October 2002)
    The Legacy of Ykesha (February 2003)
    Lost Dungeons of Norrath (September 2003)
    Gates of Discord (February 2004)
    Omens of War (September 2004)
    Dragons of Norrath (February 2005)
    Depths of Darkhollow (September 2005)
    Prophecy of Ro (February 2006)
    The Serpent's Spine (September 2006)

Now, if we take sebbonx at his word, he sold this character to someone else about 12/2001 give or take a month. Why? Yes, he prolly got bored with the character, but the level cap was 65. Why stop at 63 when it would have been just as easy to exploit another couple of levels to 65? Wouldn't a lvl 65 toon have sold for more?

What I think is more likely; sebbonx didn't sell the toon. He was indeed power leveled to 63, but from that point forward he needed a guild - and didn't have one - and couldn't get one - cause unless you start in a guild, they don't like to recruit PL'd toons (because you don't know how to play your class).

Which could very well mean that sebbonx had a level 63 character that he didn't know how to play and couldn't find anyone to group with at a level and time when they only way to continue playing, was grouped. Clerics at this level are not really designed to solo...

Thus WoW is better than EQ?

My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

Originally posted by knowom
    ...In any case tho who cares this is a EQ forum not a WoW forum. If you don't like EQ go elsewhere or rant in the special I hate sony rant thread that was made for the cry babies...

I wish I'd said that and I wish I was stronger and could have stayed out of this like I said. I'm just weak and couldn't stand it. <sigh> <hangs his head in shame>