Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks Awesome... but

Okay, my first post about this game here - but so far I am impressed with it.

Honestly, the game - from reading up about it - looks absolutely amazing. Novel XP system, novel - and very cool-looking - skill and combat systems, novel reputation system, even novel lore in a sense. And their community seems already very nice and strong too, which is very impressive considering they are still in Closed Beta. Decent graphics - not super cutting-edge, but Unreal engine means very good and optimized stability, lag-handling, and look-to-performance_and_requirements ratio.

But there is jusy one tiny concern, which can be described in 3 simple words:

Dark and Light?

So, a poll. No, I am NOT asking whether you think they will deliver. And I am NOT asking you to compare this game to DnL. No. Please read the poll question carefully. Again, I am talking about "presentation and impressions" at the SAME time in development, not the final result.

Comments

• Mikey0002Mikey0002 Member Posts: 97
    Lol...I don't mean to flame, or mean anything by this....I just want to amuse everyone.

Of all games to ask how if its similar to....you had to ask if it was similar to Dark and Light????

Ok....so big fat NOOOOOOOOOO is my answer! I am not trying to be an asshole...just telling you the truth. Don't worry since I can understand you probably just found out about this game, but you know all its strong points and they already say its not DnL.

DnL made their own engine which really sucks....TCoS have the Unreal Engine with some of the best ever designers working on it.

They also have a Dev team which is so honest!! I swear to you, the dev team is incredibly honest...they don't lie and they aren't making a game which is a going to con anyone.

Thirdly they give a lot of attention to their community updating their news page averagely several times a week.

I already said enough to say its nothing like DnL.

To tip it off, I am a close beta tester, and I can tell you just this....Dark and Light is so far behind when compared to this game! I mean DnL is the worst MMO that ever came out. TCoS I hope will revolutionise how MMOs are made cause it really is a very different MMO. It can't be compared to any other MMO. Its got real time twitch combat, mixed with WoW cartoonish graphics, mixed with a Guild Wars type crafting system (sorta) and mixed with a lot of other things. Its got its own unique game mechanics aswell as that, like its totally new and intriguing combat system.

This is a game to follow up on and check out when it hits open beta.

By the way, it only had a delay to improve on its combat system cause there was something that could run better and so they revamped the combat system and delayed release to make a better and more fun game. But most of the content is ready and its just going to be such an interesting game to try at open beta!

Have to put something up!

• Seren2399Seren2399 Member Posts: 12
    I agree with the above post.  The Spellborn design team is very involved with the community.  They genuinely care about what we have to say and try their best to consider our thoughts.  You talk right with the dev's not just a forum community rep. 

Just go and join the spellborn forums on www.tcos.com and become a member there, talk to the regulars there.  You will see the difference. :)

• ElernetElernet Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Mikey0002

Of all games to ask how if its similar to....you had to ask if it was similar to Dark and Light????

But that was exactly the point, you know. DnL was horrible, but while it was still in Development, it was very hyped up and a lot of people expected a lot from it.

Again, I am not asking to compare DnL to TCoS - not at all. I am asking to compare their PR and presentations. I think DnL is one of the best examples of a game where expectations did not match the results - which is why its good for this type of comparision.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

PS: I really like what I see in TCoS so far, I hope they deliver and have great expectations of the game. I just wanted to get some other people's opinions.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Elernet

Originally posted by Mikey0002 Of all games to ask how if its similar to....you had to ask if it was similar to Dark and Light????But that was exactly the point, you know. DnL was horrible, but while it was still in Development, it was very hyped up and a lot of people expected a lot from it.
    Again, I am not asking to compare DnL to TCoS - not at all. I am asking to compare their PR and presentations. I think DnL is one of the best examples of a game where expectations did not match the results - which is why its good for this type of comparision.Thanks for your replies everyone.
    PS: I really like what I see in TCoS so far, I hope they deliver and have great expectations of the game. I just wanted to get some other people's opinions.

Well TCoS:s site, forum, screenshots, videos, faq and information to the community is ALOT more polished (well professional to sum it up). (The video clips actually maxed out my download speed & you could download the high-res versions, so download before limit on bandwith is implemented/hit).

(Sure it could turn out as D&L, but the videos I downloaded show that combat is working to some degree & that there is information about class balance & such on the forums which makes me believe it wont be a total disaster (as in no information after release except excuses at best)).

• CymekCymek Member Posts: 340

TCoS is the only game that still has my attention. Now that I have lost hope for AoC, this one is the only game on the horizon I think might be worth something.

• FWH-MolotokFWH-Molotok Member Posts: 6
    I agree. TCoS is the only game currently in development that has my attention. WoW was originally touted as a revolutionary game in the MMO genre, but really only turned out to be evolutionary. Obviously they did a lot of things right, or they wouldn't have anywhere near the subs they have. However, it really appears that TCoS will be a revolutionary game, unlike WoW. Does that mean they are the WoW-killer? No, probably not. I think it will take a combination of several games to be able to grab that many subs away from WoW, but I really think it will be a fun game, with content and playability for everyone from the most casual to the hardest of the hard-core gamers.

It's too bad stupidity isn't painful.

• HaZaDHaZaD Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Cymek

TCoS is the only game that still has my attention. Now that I have lost hope for AoC, this one is the only game on the horizon I think might be worth something.

you dont know all upcoming mmos thats all... there re titles wich have the 10x more potential of tcos ;)
  • CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by HaZaD

you dont know all upcoming mmos thats all... there re titles wich have the 10x more potential of tcos ;)

Like?????

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• HaZaDHaZaD Member Posts: 43
    there re 22games in the left bar named "Games in Development" you should take a closer look to all games not just one game (tcos) you wont ask me than such a simple question...i think those games have more potential than tcos
    btw stop those double qoutings they re annyoing

• RanddRandd Member Posts: 409

Potential...thats a word in game developement that gives me the shivers. How many games have we said over the years had all the potential in the world and the devs just couldnt pull it off, or they had to rush the game out or a dozen other half assed reasons they give.

there re 22games in the left bar named "Games in Development" you should take a closer look to all games not just one game (tcos) you wont ask me than such a simple question...i think those games have more potential than tcos

For your information I spend quite a bit of time looking over and over games in development and I don't see anything that's quite like this one, yes there are other games that look interesting and could end up being very well done, but when it comes to innovation and new a spin on things TCoS has got the right idea.

Now I'm asking you AGAIN, what are those other games that are 10X more promising than this one and what is it exactly that makes them so much more appealing to you? And the 22 games on the sidebar don't exactly scream innovation to me, some of them I can already peg as huge disapointments, so you'll have to be more specific to enlighten me, especially since you choose to be so darned flippant about it.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• druarcdruarc Member Posts: 182

While tcos isn't the only game I'm interested in, I don't know of one 10x better. So I'd be interested in which one your refering to and for what reason's you feel it is 10x better?

Cheers

• ThekkThekk Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Cynthe

Like?????

What made you loose interest in AoC?
  • FWH-MolotokFWH-Molotok Member Posts: 6

It sounds to me more like you haven't read very deeply into TCoS, my friend. This game promises to be genre re-defining, and a revolutionary game. All those hundreds of other games will not do that. Even WoW, the current leader in the MMO market can't make the claim to have been a revolutionary game. It was certainly an evolutionary game, and is extremely successful, but not revolutionary... only evolutionary. There is a huge difference in the meaning of those two terms.

But good luck with whatever game you intend to play, because it means there will be that much less social clutter in TCoS! Thanks!

It's too bad stupidity isn't painful.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780
    Not a whole lot of games in development that are really doing it for me. TCoS is definitely one of the handfull though. Others would be Hero's Journey and The Chronicle. As long as one of these 3 games delivers, I'll be exceedingly happy.

• mazruemazrue Member Posts: 1

It seems to me that the closer a title get's to it's release date, the
    easier it is to smell the BS coming from it. So far, Spellborn seems to
    not only have kept it's "revolutionary" sent to it, but even exceed my
    personal expectations.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the videos they have released
    on their main website. Read up on what each class REALLY means in
    relation to the skills available. Do your research, cut through BS of
    OTHER games in developement, and get back to me.

~Woof

• flammablesflammables Member Posts: 6
    well if to go back to the subject, aka D&L vs TCOS, well I don't know where from people actually had good impresion about D&L. I mean even looking at D&L screenshots in late development stage it was clear that game is going nowhere. Hell games released 10 years back already looked better than D&L.

TCOS so far looks good. If you look at screenshots, world looks well developed and developer's promisses are rather realistic.

• SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921
    Does every in-dev game HAVE to be compared with DnL these days? How pathetic.
  • GhakanGhakan Member Posts: 71
    HaZaD, I'm a little curious why you posted before whining about how annoying it is that you can't play the beta for TCoS if there are games with 10x more potential... Why even play such garbage even if better games aren't out yet... Make up your mind, and either quit trolling this board or admit that this game is gonna rock :)

http://mmoreinsight.wordpress.com -- A Glimpse Into The World of Massively Multiplayer Games.

• SmirchSmirch Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by Ghakan
    HaZaD, I'm a little curious why you posted before whining about how annoying it is that you can't play the beta for TCoS if there are games with 10x more potential... Why even play such garbage even if better games aren't out yet...

Here's the normal progression for a post like HaZaD's...

1) Oooh TCoS looks good let me check it out.

2) Sweet, this game looks incredible!

3) Beta here I come!

4) Hmm, no beta invite yet.

5) WTF? I haven't been invited...rawr!

6) Dear MMORPG.COM: TCoS is teh suck!!!11one!!

• BenAznBenAzn Member Posts: 18

don't you start this game with your own customized armor and through progression you put add on enchantments to your armor???

Totally off topic eh?

~WTFBBQSAUCEPWND~

Originally posted by BenAzn

don't you start this game with your own customized armor and through progression you put add on enchantments to your armor???

Something like that,  right from the creation screen you can select any amor pieces you want, and they don't have stats on them, some pieces will have slots to insert sigils yes so that you can add those stats or performance to them. You can also change your armor and get new pieces if you get tired of your look, I'm not too sure if you can take your sigils in one piece and put them in another, they may become bonded to specific pieces..

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• BenAznBenAzn Member Posts: 18
    ty ty makes me want to play this game even more......if only i could get accepted into beta

~WTFBBQSAUCEPWND~

• hartamhartam Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by BenAzn
    ty ty makes me want to play this game even more......if only i could get accepted into beta

Open beta is around the corner.