Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem.

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

"The problem with games as ambitious as Conan is that you're waiting for them to let you down" As a game magazine recently described Conan.

Right now it looks amazing but I just don't think it can be done.

Real time combat.. It just can't work..... Can it?

Comments

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

Of course it can be done. Will Funcom accomplish this task? That is the question. That or "To be or not to Be"....I forget which.

Anyway. All things are possible in time. That's the cool thing about the evolution of technology. What could not be done one year, is accomplished the next.  I can't say if Funcom will get it right or not, lets hope they do. If they don't, oh well, leave the game, and hope the next company gets it right.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• waikewaike Member Posts: 112
    WWW.CONAN.CH  IT CAN AND HAS AND WILL BE DONE
  • checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    The only thing I"m worried about is multiplayer combat.  It's obvious that everything they've shown in trailers and videos is from the first 20 single player levels.  I haven't even seen a shred of the multiplayer stuff.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741
    Think Rune, then think massively multiplayer Rune.

Ok so it doesn't totally equate, but yes, there is definitely hope. ;)

I spent a few days this year theorizing ways in which real time combat a la Conan could be done (before I had heard of this game), and came up with a couple of possibilities.

Bottom line here, I think, is to not let the failures of the past cloud the future of gaming. These boys can do whatever the hell they want with the code. They just need to find the balance where utility, ease of function, challenge, and fun intersect. Often that's the hardest part.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

From what I saw with the demonstration that had the developer commenting the whole time, all they're showing is the single player aspects.  It was an NPC town that was attacking the player town, and it was npc's that the player was fighting.  There were no multiplayer things shown at all. 

The game looks gorgeous, and everything looks amazing, but the combat looks slow, and I haven't seen a shred of multiplayer videos, so it leaves me to be skeptical on if the game will be good beyond the 15 hours of single player mode.

SINCE WHEN IS LEV 1-20 GONNA TAKE 15 HOURS?
  • elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by waike
    SINCE WHEN IS LEV 1-20 GONNA TAKE 15 HOURS?

When you are working your way through a single player storyline.
  • hughnmehughnme Member UncommonPosts: 4

Originally posted by pingo

"
    Real time combat.. It just can't work..... Can it?

it has been done pretty wall already imho,d and d online,they might well improve on it
  • TehfuzzTehfuzz Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by checkthis500

From what I saw with the demonstration that had the developer commenting the whole time, all they're showing is the single player aspects.  It was an NPC town that was attacking the player town, and it was npc's that the player was fighting.  There were no multiplayer things shown at all. 
    The game looks gorgeous, and everything looks amazing, but the combat looks slow, and I haven't seen a shred of multiplayer videos, so it leaves me to be skeptical on if the game will be good beyond the 15 hours of single player mode.

The combat is slow cause its suppose to be. Thats why its real time combat. If it wasnt slow moving like that, id imagine the gameplay moving alot like dynasty warriors(Hack and slash game) Dont get me wrong, i love dynasty warriors, but its totally unrealistic! Its like the size of your weapon has no impact on the speed in which you swing your weapon. (Xu shu)<--- The guy with a huge mace that has like a wrecking ball on the end. He swings that thing like its a baseball bat!!
    Anyway my point is, Since its realtime combat, and there going for a realistic game. The combat is gonna be alot slower moving then most other games. (I dont think that will make it any less fun though)

My thing is, the character with the two handed sword swings it and steadies it as fast as I would, and I'm about 100 lbs shy of that character in muscle, so it just seemed really sluggish to me.  It looked like a 4 yr old swinging a baseball bat.

I guess the main reason I thought it was so slow was that in the time it took him to swing twice he had been hit by the guy behind him at least 4 or 5 times.  It was annoying to see the guy swinging that two handed sword really slow while getting stabbed relentlessly.

I mean you should be able to parry pretty quickly no matter what the size of the sword is.

Eh, if it would have been realistic I wouldn't have said anything about it.  It seemed too slow was the problem for me.

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

Originally posted by waike
    WWW.CONAN.CH  IT CAN AND HAS AND WILL BE DONE

*********CODE FB*********

FANBOY ALERT!!! FANBOY ALERT!!!

Get rid of the fanboynism WAIKE.

Everyone hate fanboys, like.... YOU!!!

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::

LOL FANBOY MY ASS. IF THIS GAME ISNT OUT BEFORE 2007 IM ON TO THE NEXT MMO. DOOSHBAG
  • TehfuzzTehfuzz Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by checkthis500

My thing is, the character with the two handed sword swings it and steadies it as fast as I would, and I'm about 100 lbs shy of that character in muscle, so it just seemed really sluggish to me.  It looked like a 4 yr old swinging a baseball bat.
    I guess the main reason I thought it was so slow was that in the time it took him to swing twice he had been hit by the guy behind him at least 4 or 5 times.  It was annoying to see the guy swinging that two handed sword really slow while getting stabbed relentlessly.
    I mean you should be able to parry pretty quickly no matter what the size of the sword is.
    Eh, if it would have been realistic I wouldn't have said anything about it.  It seemed too slow was the problem for me.

Well, i dont really know what to say :P I guess we'll just have to wait for it to be released so we can find out for ourselves! Or maybe they'll be more videos coming out that will show more combat, so we can get a better idea of what its like :P