Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The minute they announced the game I knew it would be a tough sell...

I am a strong Tolkien fan. But I am not to happy with what I see already in development here.

1. The game is practically a re-skin of 3 other MMO's meshed into one... bad idea

2. If MMO developers still havent learned that making IP's into MMO  is fine but when you choose to center the game around key important time frame of the IP. So much that you can't even explore any other ideas becuase it would ruin the timeline and events and you would piss off the fans for this. Then you shouldnt be making these types of games. Conan actually got it right. They choose the time after Conan has done all his traveling and adventures so the developers are free to give us anything we want in the Conan IP with no worries of messing up the arch storyline. Kudos on being the first one to figure that out. ( I know matrix did it first but matrix sucks)

3. They couldnt even get DDO done correctly. Dungeons and Dragon people  How the hell do you mess up making a game based on Dungeons and Dragons.

Faranthil Tanathalos
EverQuest 1 - Ranger
Star Wars Galaxies - Master Ranger
Everquest2 - Ranger WarhammerOnline - Shadow Warrior
WOW - Hunter

That's right I like bows and arrows.

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by franksalbe

I am a strong Tolkien fan. But I am not to happy with what I see already in development here.
    1. The game is practically a re-skin of 3 other MMO's meshed into one... bad idea
    2. If MMO developers still havent learned that making IP's into MMO  is fine but when you choose to center the game around key important time frame of the IP. So much that you can't even explore any other ideas becuase it would ruin the timeline and events and you would piss off the fans for this. Then you shouldnt be making these types of games. Conan actually got it right. They choose the time after Conan has done all his traveling and adventures so the developers are free to give us anything we want in the Conan IP with no worries of messing up the arch storyline. Kudos on being the first one to figure that out. ( I know matrix did it first but matrix sucks)
    3. They couldnt even get DDO done correctly. Dungeons and Dragon people  How the hell do you mess up making a game based on Dungeons and Dragons.

Totally agree with you there. When a company chooses to do this, they severely limit the amount of content and what you can and cant do with the game that will make it fun. I see this game being a success in terms of subscriptions to cover cost and then some. Other than that, I dont see this game being anything more than the name on the box.

• rp2006rp2006 Member Posts: 84

I see your point and I agree with it to some extend, but...

When doing a MMORPG based on tolkien work, when would youy placed it if not in the best story ever?

Just because you have hundreds of jedis in SWG in a period that was soposed to have only 3 (2 of them sith) doesnt mean that all developers will make enormous mistakes like SOE.

We will all have to wait and see what turbine does, but remember that the LOTR triology follows very close the steps of the fellowship and leaves many room in all of the other places of middle earth to add a lot of content that will not go against the lore because tolkien only briefly refered to those places, and didnt set up anything there, so its for the devs to make sure that we have a lot to do and a lot of suprises ahead.

Sure we cant lose helms deep, or we cant kill saruman, but theres a lot of cool stuff they can do in all the other places around the major points.

We just have to wait and see, but I'm looking forward for this game, and pray it comes out great

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Originally posted by franksalbe

I agree. SOE made this mistake with Star Wars Galaxies. Hardcore followers were upset to see so many obvious issues with the timeline that many just quit.

Turbine would have been better off with a setting either well before The Fellowship of the Ring or just after Return of the King. Much room there for stories and not have to worry about fans screaming "that isnt right" for coloring outside the lines a bit.

In addition, Im not too crazy with all thats missing land-wise.

• nyquilnyquil Member Posts: 97
    yup i agree man, that was why i was so dissapointed with no evil race. and no factionized team pvp.

argue all you want MMO's are beggining to change, people are noticing how PvP can be extremely fun and less time restricting then PvE.  (example= log on and be dedicated to a raid for 3-4 hours +    or  log on an get into a group pvp session with some friends, talk strats over vent same thing as u would in a raid from 20 minutes to whenever) Not onyl that but it is endless content, its very exciting knowing that you are versing another human mind, almost like a game of chess. 

think about it IF they did make it alliance vs sauron/sarumon   think about the capitol city raids? obviously you wouldnt want the shire taken over or key places, but what about a town like bree, weathertop and other enemy towns/outposts. ( morthhank where the lich king is for example )

huge mistake man.  they piss me off with this no creativity lets make another everquest cause it will sell approach, now i do realize im a bit biased but pve is getting old.... been the same in every game, ill still play this but thier instance and story mode better be incredible.

• SHaDERSHaDER Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I agree with the OP here. I honestly have no idea how Turbine was able to completely destroy DDO. With that big of a name on the box, all they needed was a halfway decent game and it would be a huge hit. Not these guys though. I'm very skeptical of any furture Turbine project now.

People can say what they want about PvP, but nowadays it has become a big part of mmorpgs. Without PvP you are pretty much turning away half of the potential customers. I will be very surprised if Turbine is able to pull this game off with success.

• Furin_DurinuFurin_Durinu Member Posts: 3

I'd like to adress a few issues here, I've been following this game's development for a few years now and I've got to say, there are quite some misunderstandings on the forums and the hype-comments of game on mmorpg.com.

Firstly, there's no reason to compare the results of Turbine's former game's to the Lord of the Rings Online. DDO and AC2 have not much to do with it, in fact for the most part they have completly different developers. Yes, some are the same, but remember that the developers of Guild Wars have quite a lot former WoW-developers among them, those two games cannot be compared at all.

Secondly, why would people think it's so much like other mmo's already on the market? Lord of the Rings Online is made by developers who have great respect for Tolkien's lore and are driven to make an mmo that appeals to a wide public without copying other games. For instance, the classes, you can compare all you want, but there's no reason to think the hunter is the same as the ranger, or the lore-master equals the mage. In fact, the lore-master has pets! Also, Turbine works with an entirely different system to nail the standarts of an mmo down on LotRO. There is the morale system, no HP. No more healing and ressurecting, but morale-boosting and reviving from defeat! Maybe it's just another name to you, but it means a great deal to the story and lore of Middle-Earth. No more dragon-slaying +1 stamina +5 sword drops! No more insignificant crafting system that is overdone by random drops any time.

Best of all is though, we have a community that is twice as fun as the mmorpg.com community that thinks l33t games pwn LotRO...

EDIT: As for pvp, Turbine is finding a way to implement it without butchering the lore or the pve aspects of the game, they don't want pvp of which you don't know why it's there, they want pvp that fits.