Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i buy EVE online?

Kamon25Kamon25 Member Posts: 4
well i'm looking for a new MMO and was looking into a star treky like game,  but of course i need to wait for STO to come out. so i checked out MMORPG.com once again and found EVE online, it seems some what like star trek but then again anything that has a spaceship in it can be mistaken for star trek. so i want to get other peoples opinions of course before i buy the game. so what do you guys think?

Comments

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Kamon25
    well i'm looking for a new MMO and was looking into a star treky like game, but of course i need to wait for STO to come out. so i checked out MMORPG.com once again and found EVE online, it seems some what like star trek...

Save for the fact that there are spaceships in both, EVE has not much more in common with Star Trek. Not even the genre really. While EVE is clearly a Space Opera, Star Trek is "borderline" Science Fiction.

...but then again anything that has a spaceship in it can be mistaken for star trek..

...erm...... no.

so i want to get other peoples opinions of course before i buy the game. so what do you guys think?

I think the same way that I have dozens times before when this question was asked:
    Try the (free) 14-day trial. The best advice you can get. EVE you need to see for yourself.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

What exactly are you looking for in an MMO?

Eve = Second life in space > MMOs

Me personally, I find it only falls in to the MMO genre simply because of the amount of people playing it.  It's not the typical MMO in any other aspect though.  There is no crafting system.  There is train the proper skills, rent a factory, set a build, go about your day.  None of that "having spices blow up in your face" crap.  You don't grind your levels out, you train them in real time... and your character never levels... only the skills he/she has.

This game is casual friendly, but also has no "end-game."  These two are grouped together because most MMOs go for one of two types of people.  Either 1) the casual gamer that works full time and has some form of life away from the magic color box or 2) the hardcore gamer that can afford to give his MMO 40 to 80 hours a week grinding out all the "coolest" dungeons and quests.  If the game focuses on hardcores, then the casuals don't ever have much of a chance.  If the game focuses on the casuals, then it makes the game way to easy for the hardcores.  Eve, or CCP I should say, went with a casual friendly game with a hardcore attitude.  Meaning... you don't have to sit and play all the time in order to advance in Eve.  In fact, some of the things done in-game can be done while you're asleep (and I'm not talking about skill training either), however... there is still a hardcore market in Eve as well because no matter how often you play... you'll never reach the peak and you will never actually skyrocket to the top due to the real time skill training.  Of course, you'll probably be richer than the casual gamers, but one must take the good with the bad of any style of game play.  Hardcores will have more money, but will never achieve a far greater advantage over the casuals.  The casuals can still advance while not playing, but won't have as much money as the hardcores.  It sort of keeps everyone on a level playing field.  And, of course, there are always exceptions to everything.  Why?  Because Eve is not centered around what your character knows.  It's centered around your skill as a player.

You don't get a character that walks around and /dances or /jiggles.  You never actually see your character in Eve... and if you can see your character in Eve... you've just been podded.

This game is rather difficult to aquire.  More and more tactics are being used to simply blow new players up.  CCP allows it.  Eve is free-for-all PvP.  That means that there are really no rules to break when it comes to blowing your ass up (CCP does not allow harassment of any kind though).  There is no "noob-net" in Eve.  You will die several times before you figure out how to not.  You can, and probably will lose everything you own at some point in time.  Don't get discouraged.  Keep your head up, and just remember... YOU CAN EXACT YOUR REVENGE!

See you in space.

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • KenrichKenrich Member UncommonPosts: 127

I will add that when you lose in a fight be it pvp or even pve that shiny ship of yours will be turned to dust with some of your equipment and cargo you had on it. 

o.O

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Well, you can get into many aspects of combat via missle, turret or laser, as well as the fun attack drones. Gallante FTW!!! If you don't take mainly to combat you can make yuour living as simple miner, extracting the ore from asteroids needed to make the minerals to build ship and modules for said ships.

When you start to have a little bit of money together you can even become a trader, and use the market against itself to profit off of the dumb and/or lazy. Find your self a cheap source of anything in a region, then bring it on over to where people are buying it up like it's going out of style and you can turn a tidy profit.

Do you hate abiding by mere rules? Work on your piracy and become an outlaw. Kill anything and anyone that moves and isn't you, or join a pirate corp and do it in groups to anyone not alligned with you.

This and so much more await you within the world of Eve, complete and utter freedom is at your discression, if you are able to handle it.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Ok to help you i shall compare things between startrek and eve.

ALIENS - Star trek has too many to name. Eve has exactly Zero Alien Races. Instead eve has 4 races of man several NPC races and one thats basically Rogue A.I's which are only NPC.

Traveling - in star trek the main way to travel is by Warp drive. In eve its by Stargate and Ion drives to get to the gates.

Wepons - In star trek you have what you have. In eve you have Lasers, Blasters. Railguns and Missiles.

Shields - Both games ahve them exept eves ahiled have 4 resistance types EM Thermal Kinetic Explosive.

Eve has over 14 thousand people on one server at a time so you wont ever be lonely and the chat channels are very wel designed And because of this and th fact that most of us are Mature of age the community is VERY friendly and open to new people.

There are 5000 star systems in game and each system can have up to 10 plants and each planet can have up to 12 moons and stations there are asteroid belts and soon we are getting gas couds and commets to name a few add-ons.

In eve there is no end game and concerning the skills it has been estimated it can take someone 15 years to lear all the skills ingame so your charecter will alwars grow and develop with your playing style.

There is so much more i could say but frankly it would be a bit overwhelming so my advice is to try the free trial and join a corp.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

well i'm looking for a new MMO and was looking into a star treky like game,  but of course i need to wait for STO to come out

Wait for STO mate. This is just a point and click where skills train in real-time so will you be able to fly a decent ship about the same time STO beta comes out. The money you saved can be used to buy 12 months STO time ^^

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan (only DS9 and Voyager), every time i watch it i feel like playing EVE, even though it's not much like Star Trek at all (i can't wait for STO either) but you see and hear things on Star Trek that reminds you of EVE... i think it's mostly the fight scenes.

Oh, and i always annoy my mates every time i use the scanner, i say "using long range sens0rs" on Ventrilo.

-iCeh

Originally posted by grimboj

Wait for STO mate. This is just a point and click where skills train in real-time so will you be able to fly a decent ship about the same time STO beta comes out. The money you saved can be used to buy 12 months STO time ^^

Oh, and this is your typical ex-EVE player that got wtfpwnd by an experienced player and used the "you have more skill points than me" excuse. No matter what these types of players say, brains will always beat brawn... but someone with brains and brawn, you'll end up activating your new clone.

-iCeh

• two2litrestwo2litres Member Posts: 50

this games more thinking then action.

and like any game, you'll get hammered by the vets.
    someone who know the ins and outs of the game off by heart will always beat the hell outta someone who knows almost nothing.
    its like that for any game, counter strike, warcraft, doom, quake you name it and the people who spend the most time playing will always be the better player.

same thing with eve, the person whos been playin the most will no doubt have an edge over the newer players, but that occurs in all games.

its fun tho. i like it

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by iCeh

Oh, and this is your typical ex-EVE player that got wtfpwnd by an experienced player and used the "you have more skill points than me" excuse. No matter what these types of players say, brains will always beat brawn... but someone with brains and brawn, you'll end up activating your new clone.

hehehe. Every Eve player thinks that people that dont play eve are idiots. I have a college degree, I play online poker and have more fun than eve. What the hell is exciting about sitting in a dead system camping it or stalking someone until their friends suddenly show up. Eve just isnt a fun game and it makes me stressed just thinking about it.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

I would buy the game if you into space mmorpgs

look in my sig for account btw.

I would say that EVE as it is right now compare too STO is way more advanced mmorpg.

I dont think STO will be that better then a other swg copy.

hehehe. Every Eve player thinks that people that dont play eve are idiots. I have a college degree, I play online poker and have more fun than eve. What the hell is exciting about sitting in a dead system camping it or stalking someone until their friends suddenly show up. Eve just isnt a fun game and it makes me stressed just thinking about it.

And yet... this reply does nothing to hinder our beliefs.  He's asking questions about Eve.  I'm sure that if he wanted to know about STO, he would go to their forums.  But, you're not going to listen to what I say so blah blah rabble yadda yadda rabble blah.  Eve is fun.  Of course, for me, the reason it's fun is because there are people I can kick the shit out of... and people that can kick the shit out of me... and I never know who they are.  Target.  Lock.  Find Out.

SobaKai.com
  • OsireOsire Member Posts: 33
    One word Kamon25... trial. If you dont like it, dont get it. If you do, more power to ya. 

Well, if that's how you played EVE i'm not surprised you were bored, nothing fun about camping at all, imo. There's a lot more to do than just that.

-iCeh

• vengeful85vengeful85 Member Posts: 65
     This post has answered alotta questions for me. Seems  anyone looking for a decent online space game is still  at a loss for anything substantial. Thx for all the great  replies  everyone and, thx for saving me  from wasting both my time and money on this one!
  • GoSonicsGoSonics Member Posts: 167

Eve just isnt a fun game and it makes me stressed just thinking about it.

And yet, you are always posting of how much you think Eve sucks. If it stresses you out, stop reading and responding to posts about Eve, especially in the Eve forums.

On topic, give the game a try, the sticky at the top is a good way to have some quick fun and get a glimpse of eve. Some like it some don't, not the type of game you skip the trial just because of a few bitter posters, gotta see if for yourself.

Originally posted by vengeful85
     This post has answered alotta questions for me. Seems  anyone looking for a decent online space game is still  at a loss for anything substantial. Thx for all the great  replies  everyone and, thx for saving me  from wasting both my time and money on this one!

There's always the trial.  It's free.  Give it a try THEN call it unsubstantial.  Not the other way around.

SobaKai.com
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

well i'm looking for a new MMO and was looking into a star treky like game, image but of course i need to wait for STO to come out. so i checked out MMORPG.com once again and found EVE online, it seems some what like star trek but then again anything that has a spaceship in it can be mistaken for star trek. so i want to get other peoples opinions of course before i buy the game. so what do you guys think?

Why don't you just try the trial? Any EVE player can give you a key for a 2 week trial of the game.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Definitely get the trial. But what trial will not cover(usually wont), is the PvP. If you are not PvP oriented person, you will not like Eve as much. I do not realy like PvP, so I never joined big and powerful corp, so when I grew up to go beyond 0.5 systems, I was fairly quickly disposed by PC pirates. Staying in 0.5 and above is fairly restrictive unless like I said you like PvP or you have good/powerfull friends/corp. But even that will not protect you from pirates. Eventually you will meet a pirate and will be forced to PvP.

So if you are a pure PVEr, I think you will not like this game that much. Eve is very heavy in PvP.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210

And this is the typical answer from a ganker who sits gate camping blowing up transports that can't even shoot back.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Originally posted by caine6621

And this is the typical answer from a ganker who sits gate camping blowing up transports that can't even shoot back.

And where exactly do you get the idea that i do that? I did say that brains will beat brawn on this game, and any sad retard can sit at a gate all day sniping, personally i think it looks boring. Besides that, i have only 1 account, so i never let my Security Status get below -1.9 (wouldn't be able to enter empire to buy guns and stuff) and it currently stands at 1.4.

However, if that's how they want to play the game, then that's fair enough to me. There's lots of ways to avoid gate campers... unless it's in 0.0 and they have bubbles up. >.<

-iCeh