Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sold Out

2»

Comments

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

I played WoW on first day of release, never had to wait in line on my server nor did I experience any lag.

The queue issues were limited to certain overcrowded servers of 2-3k+ players online and those people were retarded for continuing to insist on playing on them when they had a choice to start on another server. Should Blizzard have created a soft cap for accounts per server? Of course, but the problem was never a design quality issue as it was limited to some servers only.

The problem with Roma Victor isn't overcrowding, it's the crappy stability of their servers if they can't even handle 500 players.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Jorev

I played WoW on first day of release, never had to wait in line on my server nor did I experience any lag.
    The queue issues were limited to certain overcrowded servers of 2-3k+ players online and those people were retarded for continuing to insist on playing on them when they had a choice to start on another server. Should Blizzard have created a soft cap for accounts per server? Of course, but the problem was never a design quality issue as it was limited to some servers only.
    The problem with Roma Victor isn't overcrowding, it's the crappy stability of their servers if they can't even handle 500 players.

RV also has 2000 preorders on the server as well (granted I am sure not all of them are playing), as well as increasing the world size upon public launch.
  • wild_child9wild_child9 Member Posts: 15
    The servers can handle a large amount of players, at the moment theres a tracking problem which is why the server is having so much lag and whatnot but the devs should have that fixed soon :)

Originally posted by caine6621

Originally posted by Tymora

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by Virtus

the lag isn't there issue, it is yours. As they have stated you could live next door to the server but if you have to make 500 jumps before you get there your lag is going ot be huge.AS for you Fadeus, your jsut becoming a troll, lots of posts but no useful input.

Your lag statement is a no brainer, but it is that way for every MMO. Roma Victor doesn't hold the market on network hops.

Troll? Awww, I am crushed. I posted one trollish comment and the rest have been straight up concerns / critisisms. Sorry if you don't like my opinion but that really is your problem, not mine.

Blizzard lets you purchase World of Warcraft anytime you want, but you still had to wait in line to play it when it first launched.  To me, this is the same thing as what's happening with the limited sales per day of Roma Victor, only it's done in a less "intelligent" way, for lack of a better way of putting it.

I consider that to be worse.  At least I had a choice of continuing to wait or not purchase.  Blizzards way took your money and then said you couldn't play.  A few years ago I think AOL got sued for advertising unlimited dial up and then had too many people purchase it that they couldn't serve anyone.  Not positive but I remember something about that.

I would think that Blizzards way is worse.  How about this, I will sell you my car, you send me $10,000 but you can't drive it, how is that?
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by elitwebb
    I would think that Blizzards way is worse.  How about this, I will sell you my car, you send me $10,000 but you can't drive it, how is that?

Did ya bother to read my post?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361
    What people aren't realizing is if they let everyone in at one time; when they know that with their development team they can't provide quality reassurance to the player base... it's no different then letting them in 500 at a time.  At least this way they can see the effects of a SMALL increase, fix the problems, and then when they're ready and sure the server can definately handle a lot of players start increasing the buy amount.  It's simply the same exact thing as letting everyone in and making them wait a couple days while they tweak and fix the servers.

Originally posted by daveospice
    What people aren't realizing is if they let everyone in at one time; when they know that with their development team they can't provide quality reassurance to the player base... it's no different then letting them in 500 at a time.  At least this way they can see the effects of a SMALL increase, fix the problems, and then when they're ready and sure the server can definately handle a lot of players start increasing the buy amount.  It's simply the same exact thing as letting everyone in and making them wait a couple days while they tweak and fix the servers.

Don't ya think that is what the beta should been for? I mean really, if they aren't sure their servers can handle a full load then what the hell are they doing launching the game yet?

All you did was just spin paid beta practices into being quality assaurance.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Did ya bother to read my post?

I sure did.  It's a good thing I wasn't refering to you when I posted that.  I was talking about another post from someone else.  This forum doesn't revolve around you, as hard as that is to believe.

I sure did.  It's a good thing I wasn't refering to you when I posted that.  I was talking about another post from someone else.  This forum doesn't revolve around you, as hard as that is to believe.

My mistake and the personal comments were uncalled for.

- Scaris

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I just think that Redbedlam wasn't expecting so many players.  Maybe they underestimated their game and figured that not as many people would buy it?  If it was me, I would definitely be happy about their situation, because they seem to have people interested.  Now they have to fix the problems and get all of the players in and playing in a stable game environment.

If I have to wait my turn in order to experience this, then I'll wait.  I remember back when I first purchased Ultima Online, and I couldn't play for days, except maybe for a few minutes here and there.  Then those few minutes of gameplay were wasted becuase of server roll backs.

This is a frustrating business, I am glad I am not involved in it besides being a player.

I just think that Redbedlam wasn't expecting so many players.  Maybe they underestimated their game and figured that not as many people would buy it?  If it was me, I would definitely be happy about their situation, because they seem to have people interested.  Now they have to fix the problems and get all of the players in and playing in a stable game environment.
    If I have to wait my turn in order to experience this, then I'll wait.  I remember back when I first purchased Ultima Online, and I couldn't play for days, except maybe for a few minutes here and there.  Then those few minutes of gameplay were wasted becuase of server roll backs.
    This is a frustrating business, I am glad I am not involved in it besides being a player.

Ok yes it's good that they have interest, but at the level of 500 users a day it would take them 20 days just to get the 10,000 users auto assault has which I beleive is a record low launch. Not even considered the people that have a very short patience level like me and will lose interest and just change their mind and go for something ready and on the shelves for them right now.

They are hurting themselves in the long run to me, but time will tell.

- Scaris

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I don't see Roma Victor being a headlining type of mmorpg at all, not even in the league of Auto Assault.  But keep in mind that Auto Assault is published by NCSoft, so I would agrue that it is much more of a failure than RV is yet.  Even though I like Auto Assault, I don't want to bash it at all, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Redbedlam is a company I never heard of.  They are small and they are trying to do something huge.  Other companies have tried it and have hung on, I think this could happen with Roman Victor too, from what I've been hearing so far.  I am going to get the game and see how things are before I really say too much.

I remember buying Irth Online and trying it out.  It was really hard to get into, for many of the same reasons I am reading about RV.  A while later, it was a little better.  Unfortunately for them, I did exactly what you said you'd probably do . . . I lost interest and went to try something already on the shelves (or most likely already on my hard drive).

Right now there isn't much I am looking forward to besides Vanguard: Saga of Hereos and Fallen Earth, and maybe a coupel of other coming much later on, so I am willing to try a new mmorpg that looks to be a bit different than the rest, even if it needs a lot more work.  If I'm lucky I will be within the limit to purchase the game when I get hom.

I don't see Roma Victor being a headlining type of mmorpg at all, not even in the league of Auto Assault.  But keep in mind that Auto Assault is published by NCSoft, so I would agrue that it is much more of a failure than RV is yet.  Even though I like Auto Assault, I don't want to bash it at all, but the numbers speak for themselves.
    Redbedlam is a company I never heard of.  They are small and they are trying to do something huge.  Other companies have tried it and have hung on, I think this could happen with Roman Victor too, from what I've been hearing so far.  I am going to get the game and see how things are before I really say too much.
    I remember buying Irth Online and trying it out.  It was really hard to get into, for many of the same reasons I am reading about RV.  A while later, it was a little better.  Unfortunately for them, I did exactly what you said you'd probably do . . . I lost interest and went to try something already on the shelves (or most likely already on my hard drive).
    Right now there isn't much I am looking forward to besides Vanguard: Saga of Hereos and Fallen Earth, and maybe a coupel of other coming much later on, so I am willing to try a new mmorpg that looks to be a bit different than the rest, even if it needs a lot more work.  If I'm lucky I will be within the limit to purchase the game when I get hom.

I understand that however servers cost money, developers cost money. They are stuck with the same costs any other developer is. There is a bottom line on what results in positive income and what results in not getting their investment back within the needed amount of time for the game to pay for itself and THEN start to become profitable.

I don't see how that is going to happen with their current process. I see interest drying up quickly with this limited launch. I don't see longevity. Being niche is one thing, but this resembles more of cutting thier own throats.

- Scaris

• wild_child9wild_child9 Member Posts: 15
    The game has been privately funded by the developers themsevles so they have no investors to pay back , infact most of the devs working on RV don't get paid yet. They have set a limit of 5000 accounts (500 a day until all 5000 are sold) because they want to start in small numbers that they can manage (and the server can hold :P) and gradually get bigger as they add more playfeilds.

My mistake and the personal comments were uncalled for.

Perhaps, but so was the tone of your post assuming my ignorance in reguards to your post.