Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMS abusing power!

bestfreebestfree Member Posts: 6
Wow this game is really cool NOT!
Now they have the head GM (UN4) abusing his powers threatening to kill an entire village because it is next to a deed he bought.

Look at this:
http://www.wurmonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Look for post by: PvtRyan

This is just crazy. This game is so unprofessional.
The other day their server went down in the middle of the night and nobody knew how to get ahold of the devs not even the GM's. Servers did not come back online until a "player" in the "US" found one of the dev's numbers and decided to call the dev in "Sweden" to wake him up and tell him their server was offline!

This game is a waste of time IMO. I would give it maybe another month or two before it is shut down!

Comments

• eddy051eddy051 Member Posts: 40

So your saying the game is going to fail because a GM is "abusing" his powers?

and because the servers were down unintentionally for the first time in ages?

• bestfreebestfree Member Posts: 6
    Um no it wasn't the first time in ages the servers were down.
    The game is going to fail for completely differnt reasons. Although these things do add to the overall effect.

Originally posted by bestfree
    Um no it wasn't the first time in ages the servers were down.
    The game is going to fail for completely differnt reasons. Although these things do add to the overall effect.

Are you counting patches as down time? How long have you played this game?
  • mortalitymortality Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by bestfree
    Wow this game is really cool NOT!
    Now they have the head GM (UN4) abusing his powers threatening to kill an entire village because it is next to a deed he bought.

Look at this:
    http://www.wurmonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
    Look for post by: PvtRyan

This is just crazy. This game is so unprofessional.
    The other day their server went down in the middle of the night and nobody knew how to get ahold of the devs not even the GM's. Servers did not come back online until a "player" in the "US" found one of the dev's numbers and decided to call the dev in "Sweden" to wake him up and tell him their server was offline!

This game is a waste of time IMO. I would give it maybe another month or two before it is shut down!

Where is your proof that Unforgiven threatened to kill an entire village? From what i know from playing Wurm now for nearly a year both in Beta and Gold, is that Unforgiven has a wicked sence of humour, this is probabily one of those, IF he ever said it.

The link you gave is about messages that appear in the event window when a gm comes online, some gms like to announce their arrival with a witty comment....big deal.

The game unprofessional? A player in the US didnt contact a dev in Sweden, it was a gm who did the contacting. Sorry people have to sleep sometime, its physically impossible not to... Yah know different time zones and such...we all dont live in the good old US of A yah know.

You also conviently forgot to add here that the devs have added 2 days to the subscriptions of those who pay (Do you pay for Wurm btw?) and an explanation as to why the server was down, that seems to me to be very professional, indeed some games who are more established dont even bother to do this...Everquest for example i played that for approx 3 years and we never got told why a server crash etc happened.

and just one more thing...why did you post this here hidden away ? Why didnt you post it on the Wurm forums too? makes you wonder doesnt it.......?

• JarydJaryd Member Posts: 62

That link was to a thread that held that information. The Forum Moderator decided the topic itself was too off track and started to split things up. (Or splitted in his translation into English) If you do a little research on the forums you will find the information as well as a Reply from one of the Developers saying that Un4given was repremanded for his actions. 

2+ years in Wurm if you want to know and I have seen too many people just giving up of the hope things will ever get fixed.  Iinstead every update brings another degree of, for lack of better words, Nerfdom. Now these people are leaving, that have been around long before me and were the ones that helped me start in my early days.

• HunterAPHunterAP Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by mortality
    Where is your proof that Unforgiven threatened to kill an entire village? From what i know from playing Wurm now for nearly a year both in Beta and Gold, is that Unforgiven has a wicked sence of humour, this is probabily one of those, IF he ever said it.
    The link you gave is about messages that appear in the event window when a gm comes online, some gms like to announce their arrival with a witty comment....big deal.
    The game unprofessional? A player in the US didnt contact a dev in Sweden, it was a gm who did the contacting. Sorry people have to sleep sometime, its physically impossible not to... Yah know different time zones and such...we all dont live in the good old US of A yah know.

You also conviently forgot to add here that the devs have added 2 days to the subscriptions of those who pay (Do you pay for Wurm btw?) and an explanation as to why the server was down, that seems to me to be very professional, indeed some games who are more established dont even bother to do this...Everquest for example i played that for approx 3 years and we never got told why a server crash etc happened.
    and just one more thing...why did you post this here hidden away ? Why didnt you post it on the Wurm forums too? makes you wonder doesnt it.......?

I'll tell you why I no longer post on the Wurm forums...  Fanboys...

"This game doesn't need better sound, it's great."
    "This game has no lag, no matter what you say.  The lag must be because you suck."
    "Who needs animations?"
    "Rolf and Notch are gods."

That kind of crap is really annoying.  It only takes a few minutes of browsing the Wurm forums to see how thick headed most of the community is.

Oh, and when I say unprofessional, I'm talking about:
    • a Java based game.
    • sound quality that is worse than my teamspeak server on it's lowest settings
    • a complete lack of character and monster animations.  (When was the
      last time you saw characters floating around a gameworld?  Heck, I had
      animated characters in my first 3D demo, which was developed in about a
      day.  How in the world are animations not in Wurm after 2-3 years of
      development?)
    • a complete lack of character customization.
    • the fact that the servers are unmonitored for at least 6-7 hours a day
      while the development staff sleeps.  And the development staff has
      said, "we don't give our phone number to the support team because we
      need our sleep."
    • the development team finding bugs such as infinite loops on the LIVE SERVERS.  (There are no test servers.)
    • charging a monthly fee and the customers finding out that in order to
      keep their town deed, they need to use real money to buy in-game money
      because the development team does not want to alter their, "perfect
      economy system."  Thus, players end up paying twice.
    • posting specific rules about what's not allowed on the home server,
      then having no in-game system to enforce those rules.  (the GM's have
      to do it, and they have to see it happen in order to enforce the rule. 
      Apparently, there's no logging system in place.)
    Oh...  And with regards to the 2 day reimbursement.  What happened to all those folks that lost their homes due to a bug...  Nothing.  What did the support staff have to say about that one? 

"We told you not to access your houses, if you didn't listen, it's your fault it's destroyed."

Uhh...  Where did you tell us this? 

"in chat." 

You mean it wasn't on the news, or the front page of the website.

"no, but we said it in the forums, and posted it in chat at least every hour."

So what if I logged in 30 mins after you said it and my house got destroyed 20 mins before you repeated it?

"too bad."

Very very professional there.  (for those that don't know, it takes most people a few days of work in the game to be able to build a small 4'x4' house.  You have to cut down the trees, turn them into logs, turn the logs into boards, mine some iron, turn the iron into nails, and THEN you can start building.  Each side of the house takes 20 boards.  You can probably put one board on every 30 seconds to a min.  Plus you have to eat and drink.  It's more than a little time consuming.)

BUT STILL.  With all the bad...  Everyone should try out this game.  It's FREE to try out, and it has some NOVEL game design concepts in it.  But I simply cannot see paying for the current level of service that is being offered.  If they had asked for donations to help with server costs, my guild would still be playing the game, and Mojang would have a nice chunk of change from my guild.  But to say that this game is "gold," is a total joke.
  • JammehJammeh Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by HunterAP

"This game has no lag, no matter what you say.  The lag must be because you suck."
    "Who needs animations?"

a Java based game.
    the development team finding bugs such as infinite loops on the LIVE SERVERS.  (There are no test servers.)
    Oh...  And with regards to the 2 day reimbursement.  What happened to all those folks that lost their homes due to a bug...  Nothing.  What did the support staff have to say about that one? 

Okay, let me clear these few points up.

1) I have never heard people say all the things that you have claimed they have said.

2) Whats wrong with Java?

3) They do have a test server iirc, its just not public.

4) We got free premium time (7 days iirc) for the housing bug, and i saw a GM posting it in event every 5 minutes, plus this has been updated, and there is a new warning message in, which will be set by the GMs to be sent to every player every number of minutes.

• AthunAthun Member Posts: 11

Woah, there's alot of misinformation in this topic.
    Yes the game isn't polished even though it has gone gold. That is because there are players that demand and want and so, to be able to allow the community and the followers of Wurm Online to play they (the devs) just had to put out a way to get some cashflow towards server costs and hosting.
    Oh, and there are two types of accounts, free and paid.
    Yes, it is difficult to start playing. You don't get an easily understood interface (right-click is your friend) and you don't get a whole lot of information handed to you.
    Yes, there aren't animations (excluding the doors swinging open). There *were* animations on characters in some older clients. Animations aren't the most imprortant thing about Wurm. Animations would be nothing but eye-candy.

The quote done by bestfree at what PvtRyan wrote doesn't hold all the information. The main Devs (they are two) live in Sweden and they work on Wurm Online "for fun" - meaning they have dayjobs as well as having families they need to take care of. The server and hosting are not located in Sweden. Currently alot of people are taking vacations in Sweden. So naturally they take a vacation as well. Incidently the servers go down during that time and everyone goes mad that they are on vacation. Granted, the timing could be a wee bit better but they are just human.
    What PvtRyan goes on about that a player in the US found one of the devs numbers and called them in Sweden is just plain wrong. A GM sent an email to the Devs.
    Servers have gone down due to hardware faults and bugs in code (due to new feature implemented) in the last week around 4 times. At one such time the servers went back up, perhaps two or three hours after they went down, the reasons for that are still unknown.

And GM abusing their powers? There seems just to be so much whine about non-important things that my head might just explode. Most of the accused GM power "abuse" seems to be when the GMs are announcing their logging into the game by broadcasting it on the server. The choice is the GMs and they might choose not to announce. Or they might choose to announce in a strange way. This incident with the head GM is probably overhyped. Seems to me that someone is out to get the GMs.

Edit: And what the heck is on about all this Java hate? Programming in Java does not equal being unprofessional. If you want to discuss unprofessionalism we could discuss the recent non-mmogs like Oblivion, Civilization, Titan Quest, and probably more.

Originally posted by Jammeh

"Who needs animations?"

a Java based game.
    the development team finding bugs such as infinite loops on the LIVE SERVERS.  (There are no test servers.)

1) I have never heard people say all the things that you have claimed they have said.

4) We got free premium time (7 days iirc) for the housing bug, and i saw a GM posting it in event every 5 minutes, plus this has been updated, and there is a new warning message in, which will be set by the GMs to be sent to every player every number of minutes.

I don't feel a need to prove anything here.  I will continue to say, "go try Wurm."  Anyone who's interested in the game would do themselves a favor to read through the forums since the game went gold.  You will see all of the things that I mentioned above.  You will see that there's a severe lack of QA and that support is dodgy at best.  The game has some great concepts that I would like to see hit the mainstream, and that's why I continue to hope that Wurm will succeed.  But the game also suffers from horrible management.  Again, don't take my word for it.  Go look it up for yourself.  It's all in the forums.

Here's a starter link:
    http://www.wurmonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5217
    You do realise that Wurm Online is independantly developed, right?
    That means it doesn't have the resources of a game like, say, Everquest or Eve Online.

Originally posted by Jammeh

"Who needs animations?"

a Java based game.

I don't feel a need to prove anything here.  I will continue to say, "go try Wurm."  Anyone who's interested in the game would do themselves a favor to read through the forums since the game went gold.  You will see all of the things that I mentioned above.  You will see that there's a severe lack of QA and that support is dodgy at best.  The game has some great concepts that I would like to see hit the mainstream, and that's why I continue to hope that Wurm will succeed.  But the game also suffers from horrible management.  Again, don't take my word for it.  Go look it up for yourself.  It's all in the forums.

Here's a starter link:

Every premium player was given an extra 7 days of subscription time for the house bug. It was given to the people who actually mattered at the time, the paying customer, that was so early in the game that any of the people who were actually going to pay and support the game had already purchased their time by then, the rest were just along for the free ride

Originally posted by Athun
    You do realise that Wurm Online is independantly developed, right?
    That means it doesn't have the resources of a game like, say, Everquest or Eve Online.

This is an excuse for pushing out dodgy code and having server crashes because of infinite loop bugs?

No.  You don't need to be a big company to know better than to release untested code.

And I saw in another thread how you said that animations are not important.  I guess you're an example of my earlier quotes.  Character Animation in 3D games in 2006 is a standard feature in EVERY SINGLE GAME RELEASED be it by a one man team, or a massive company like SoE.  Except for Wurm of course.  What does that tell you about Wurm?  That they're a trendsetter, or that they are out of touch with what people have come to expect from released software?

Originally posted by eddy051

Here's a starter link:

Every premium player was given an extra 7 days of subscription time for the house bug. It was given to the people who actually mattered at the time, the paying customer, that was so early in the game that any of the people who were actually going to pay and support the game had already purchased their time by then, the rest were just along for the free ride

I think you need to re-check that link.  They may well have given premium players 7 days of free time.  But the players had to whine and cry about it for a few days.  Then, the devs said, "giving you this hurts the game."

Yeah.  That's professionalism at it's finest.  They cause people to lose days of work due to a bug, then they tell the players it's their fault.  Then they say, fine, it's our bad, but you shouldn't be asking us to help you.  What, exactly, are you defending here?  That the devs are great guys that care about the community?  It seems to me that they couldn't care less if people were playing their game or not.  It's a very strange attitude to have.
    What I meant is that animations aren't important *to me*.
    Every game has dodgy code. Every game can crash. Every programmer can do accidental things like infinite loop bugs. I'm not saying it is an excuse of any kind but it is something that one must realise can happen more often in an independantly developed game. More than it *should* happen in a game made by a big well funded gaming company.
    And sometimes simple code can mess up big code. You can't always predict that when you have long lines of code.

And no, character animation in 3D games are not a *standard*. But it is expected. Sure, you can "easily" make a program with 3D animation but that's not the same thing as having a game with animations. It all depends on *how* it is coded (it doesn't have to be bad or good coding). To be able to call yourself a real programmer you really have to be able to see things from all sides and the reasons for this and that. I just see so many jump to conclusions "...just because..." - for example, saying someone is a bad programmer because he programs in Java or doesn't/hasn't put animation into his applications does not make the programmer a bad programmer. That's just plain jumping to conclusion and more often a wrong assumption.

Heck, we expect most games today to have a multiplayer option - especially first person shooters. But a multiplayer option in a first person shooter is not a standard (I'm associating the way you explained 'standard' with 'required').

Sure, I might be trying to defend Wurm Online and the team that is making it but calling me a fanboy is very over the top. I am not and will never be associated with that kind of a group. I do realise that there are things that need to be done better in the game. I also realise that the main developement team consists of two guys, who kind of have Wurm Online as a side job, that are being pushed and pulled by the playing community for this and that. That's why I am ready to give them a chance. If it was SoE, I wouldn't give them that chance. They have the funds and the amount of programmers and testers to work fulltime, double check, tripe test and shine up the games that they release that serious bugs should almost never occur.

Originally posted by eddy051

Here's a starter link:

I think you need to re-check that link.  They may well have given premium players 7 days of free time.  But the players had to whine and cry about it for a few days.  Then, the devs said, "giving you this hurts the game."

Yeah.  That's professionalism at it's finest.  They cause people to lose days of work due to a bug, then they tell the players it's their fault.  Then they say, fine, it's our bad, but you shouldn't be asking us to help you.  What, exactly, are you defending here?  That the devs are great guys that care about the community?  It seems to me that they couldn't care less if people were playing their game or not.  It's a very strange attitude to have.

Did I read the same thing as you?
    Unforgiven posted some stuff. Pink_Daisy quoted him and tried to counter what he said. Then Rolf posted some stuff and wrote "We simply don't have the resources yet and yelling for more resources doesn't help at all."
    So to me it seems that the Developers are being bashed for something that the players wanted. The players wanted the game to go Gold rather than having being developed behind closed doors due to hosting/server costs. This comes with the risk of the having bugs or bugs being created with added features/fixing of other bugs.
    For me, the thing that is wrong with the game is that there seems to be a lack of communication between GMs and the Devs. Meaning that a GM will say one thing and later a Dev will come by and might say something completely diffirent than what the GM said. Something like that can kill a game. So, yes, that area of the game seems to be in somewhat of a mess and perhaps one part of that fault is the lack of logging tools.

What I did read from Rolf's post was more in the nature of skepticism rather than lack of interest to help or compensate. Devs are getting the heat of aggressive posts on the official forums.