Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No ranged class in Vanguard, right?

Just wanted to check.

Comments

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by WoodenDummy
    Just wanted to check.

The plan is for Rangers to be the best ranged class in Vanguard.  They will excell equally at ranged combat and martial combat.

Here is a Ranger class preview.

http://vgrangers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168

Here is a quote from the preview that may answer your question.

Originally from Vanguard Rangers

We know the ranger is the most skilled archery class. But mechanically, how are they superior? Is it through general damage, abilities, or both? And will the archery skill play an important role if the ranger is assigned to pull?
    They are superior in a few ways. One is simple skill. Rangers will gain more upfront archery skill than any other class. Because ranged weapons and ammunition require skill to use them, the Ranger can use long bow type weapons far earlier than any other class.

The second is the way ranged combat works for Rangers. Their shots are typically more powerful and take less time to aim. When they are required to aim for long periods of time (long being 8-12s) then they are greatly rewarded by extra damage or extraordinary effects. For most classes, aiming makes them very vulnerable to attacks and does not allow movement of any kind. Most of the Ranger’s bow attacks allow for him to move and he is far less vulnerable. Ranged combat for Rangers is night and day when comparing them to other classes.

Ranged attacks include lulling shots, AE shots, extreme damage sniper shots, cone shots (multi arrow shots), fast shots and stopping (rooting) shots. Again, there are lots of options.

For more Vanguard inofrmation including post E3 previews, E3 previews, videos, beta newsletters, Class previews and recent previews prior to E3 take a look at the folloing links that I have prepared.  It should hopefully have an answer to all your questions.

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53263

• generis2generis2 Member Posts: 16

I did read up on what a ranger has to offer, but there just not enough information to decide if a ranger will be anything different than the eq2/wow equivalent.

I do admit i miss the rangers of old (a la eq1 pre-AA).

• NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90
    It sounds to me like this Ranger class will be much closer to what I've been looking for. One that takes thought, skill, experience. Once you add options to shooting besides which arrow to use (ie: aimed shots, duration of aim, shooting while moving) it adds a bit more realism to it. I keep thinking of Legolas taking down that HUGE monstrosity of a mammoth! Aimed shots, rapid fire to build a ladder, shooting his way over the beast and sliding down it's snout...

Anyway, if they can make the Ranger feel like me when I'm shooting a bow then I'm gonna like it a lot.

-Naaz.

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Naazir
    It sounds to me like this Ranger class will be much closer to what I've been looking for. One that takes thought, skill, experience. Once you add options to shooting besides which arrow to use (ie: aimed shots, duration of aim, shooting while moving) it adds a bit more realism to it. I keep thinking of Legolas taking down that HUGE monstrosity of a mammoth! Aimed shots, rapid fire to build a ladder, shooting his way over the beast and sliding down it's snout...

Anyway, if they can make the Ranger feel like me when I'm shooting a bow then I'm gonna like it a lot.

-Naaz.

Yeah I agree with all of that, nothing ever feels right to me.  Hunters in WoW felt wrong and the pet thing seemed to matter more than your bow, EQ2s Rangers just feel all wrong, I feel like a lame rogue rather than a skilled ranger.

The only thing that's come close for me is the Ranger class in DDO, and that's because it draws from the D&D ruleset.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

A specialty site for Vanguard Rangers is ... Vanguard Rangers

~ Ancient Membership ~

• NaazirNaazir Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

A specialty site for Vanguard Rangers is ... Vanguard Rangers

Cool, thanks man!

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by generis2

I did read up on what a ranger has to offer, but there just not enough information to decide if a ranger will be anything different than the eq2/wow equivalent.
    I do admit i miss the rangers of old (a la eq1 pre-AA).

Wasnt eq1 ranger just a weaker but faster version of a warrior? I really never saw eq1 rangers use their bows like hunters did in WoW.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by jimmyman99
    Wasnt eq1 ranger just a weaker but faster version of a warrior? I really never saw eq1 rangers use their bows like hunters did in WoW.

Oh man you missed them in their late levels then. Rangers were THE dps class with their bows. They just chewed the mobs to death! Rangers pwned dps in raids and groups too.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Last time i was playing EQ1 I heard rangers complain about being used as a "sacrificial meat grind" for the harmtouching mobs in planes heh... I always thought rogues and monks were best dps... I loved my monkey so much hehe, he looked like shaolin monk

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

What might help Rangers is the fact that MOST of the Ranger bowshots can be done while MOVING.  As the Devs said, this will increase the Ranger's potential defense since their high-damage shots can pull a lot of aggro.

Hmmm, would like to do a double-flip over a mob and shoot it in the back.  Yeah.

~ Ancient Membership ~