Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: New Content Since Launch

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

EverQuest II has posted an interesting feature on their official website that takes us through the important additions and changes that have happened since the game's launch:

We're constantly updating EverQuest II with new content and features. With the recent launch of Game Update #25, we thought now would be a great time to highlight the headlines from each of our 25 major free updates. Check out the overview of the major additions and changes we've made to EQII since launch in: Tons of New Content Since Launch.

For more on EQII, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

Lots of nice stuff.  Too bad though.

I bought the game the day it went public.  stupid me.  Looking for small group/solo content that they said woudl be there, and of course wasn't.

Lots of grinds.  Then they started putting in keyed dungeons.  It was clear it wasn't the game for me.  I quit after the first month.

I've followed some of it though.  Putting in the "Exchange Servers" was another reason for me not to resubscribe.  Now everytime the create an object, they have to think about what it's resale value will be for themselves.

$medly is still there.  Sorry, as long as he has anything to with things, I wouldn't go near anything on their list.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I played this game on and off over the last year and I gotta say....

EQII has to be one of the DULLEST, BLAND and GENERIC game worlds ever created. The sub numbers show it. (175k)

http://www.mmorpgchart.com/ 

It is completely loaded with "content". If you consider 1000's of kill task and delivery task "content" that took the dev's maybe 10 minutes to create.

Sony is more interested in pumping more and more generic expansions with "gifts" that change the core mechanics like skills and CHARGE the player for it. (kingdom of Sky adds an Achievment point skill system based on level)

Not to mention the game is constantly undergoing "revamps".

Like all Sony games, its a mixed up and confused mess.

• RepsReps Member Posts: 22

i find it funny that soe needs to post things like this which basically says "LOOK!! LOOK, SEE, WE DID A GOOD!!"

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Sure it'd be easy for me to bag it, but first to be fair I should say that EQ2 has improved a fair bit since launch.  I especially like the recent changes to the crafting system.  It still needs some tweaks, but it was rather nice all-in-all.

The problem, in my opinion, is that most of the tasks are rather mindless.  The "go kill 10 whoozits" style of approach is so.... 1999.  There's no good reason why a MMORPG today should rely mostly on that style of "content", if you want to use that word for it.  The interests of most gamers is just so far beyond that now that it can't hope to bring in much of a subscriber base.

Another major issue is their annoying use of instances.  Granted they have removed the keys required to enter several adventuring zones, but the player is still limited by how often they can access those zones.  If you go LD in one, such as I did, then you're booted out and can not return for another half hour (give or take).

Those are my two main gripes.  The biggest is the first paragraph above, though.  If all that you can come up with is the fed ex, kill 10 whoozit style of 'game play', then perhaps you don't have the creative means to maintain an MMORPG in today's market and you should consider other markets.

....such as Hollywood.

~Mysk

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I too tried EQ2 at release and quit before my free month was up.  I felt it was EQ1 with just a fresh coat of paint.

Then a few months later I got an email for a week trial to see all the improvements.  So I can afford free so I tried it and i DID enjoy it.  I subsribed for 1 month after the free week was up.

Then the "combat upgrade" hit and I cancelled few days later.

SOE could of had a great game but their stubborness or inability to change design philosophy is what kept EQ2 from living up to expectations.  Spamming out expansions does not help the game at all either.

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306
    Enough content to go around twice now :p Best mmo out there and wont be any that come near its ammount or quality of content for another year.