Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

College / University ?

Just wondering if any of you are doing computing / gaming courses at Uni or college.

Im going to Uni later this year if i get in, and im gonna be doing Computer Games Technology!

hehe, o0o its gna be a hard course image

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
"What ever happens, happens"

Comments

• YahyaYahya Member Posts: 23

Sounds like an awesome program!  Good luck to you!

Played these MMORPG's:
    AC1/AC2/AO/DAoC/EQ/ATITD/FFXI/UO
    Beta'd: RYL/SWG/E&B

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

Sounds like a fun class/program. I've taken/will be taking computer science related courses myself. Good stuff :) Wish there were some game related courses at my college though.

----------------------
    Jake

KO - Harrold the Rogue

I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring
    - Richard P. Feynman, 1988

• GhostRiderGhostRider Member Posts: 13
    i will be graduating with my bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems at the end of this year and will be looking for a position in the gaming industry.  Mostly ive learned stuff like database, MS Project, project management, and CASE tools like systems architect.  I'm hoping that with some of this knowledge i can get my foot in the door.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Good Luck !
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DhjoyDhjoy Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited April 2020
    i will be graduating with my bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems at the end of this year and will be looking for a position in the gaming industry.  Mostly ive learned stuff like database, MS Project, project management, and CASE tools like systems architect.  I'm hoping that with some of this knowledge i can get my foot in the door.

I'm sure, you can! You spent a lot of time for you education it bears fruit...Next step for successful job it's your resume, thinking about it.I'm sure, you can! You spend a lot of time for you education it bears fruit...Next step for successful job it's your resume, thinking about it.
    If you need some help with your dissertation, you always can use https://www.brillassignment.co.uk/ . I think it's more comfortable than writing alone. I can recomend it, even if you alreaady finished your study, they can help with resume. It's the most important when you look for job.
    Post edited by Dhjoy on
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    2004 post. The OP probably has a Ph.D by now.
    Iselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2020
    I think it is a bit late but not entirely.

You should grab the free Unreal UDK or Unity or GODOT there are several and mess around with it so you can learn the basics of how the whole idea comes together.There are other programs as well that gaming uses like Blender.You have to do some homework and then at least familiarize yourself with all the programs so you'll have a better understanding of what your learning.

If you just walk in blind,everything is going to fly over your head,it will be very difficult.IMO if your program is too easy to understand they are likely not preparing you well enough to get into the field.

Basically you needed to already have a long time interest in the field and not just "i like gaming,so this would be cool".
    Ungood

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Forgrimm said:
    yes, tell us how it went. . . (goes to search for users last post)!
    [Deleted User]Ungood

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited July 2020
    Norikazu said:

Just wondering if any of you are doing computing / gaming courses at Uni or college.

Im going to Uni later this year if i get in, and im gonna be doing Computer Games Technology!

hehe, o0o its gna be a hard course image

Hard course ?........ Sounds like a hard life !

Sounds like a job that you'll be looking for work every two years.  Be asked to move across the country every time you find work and relocating your family.  Like the location or not, you will go where they tell you.  

UNSTABLE pay checks if you get paid at all....... Do you know how much health care is if you have to pay out of pocket, every job you will have to re-evaluate it. Most will not provide. 

LONG HOURS that are possibly un-paid, with the promise of hitting it big that may never come.  Asked to buy your own equipment if work at home in an ever-changing technology. 

COMPETITION in a fierce market filled with un-fair hiring no matter how well you excel. You better get established quickly and maintain it forever, much like pro sports....... You will be walking into back fill positions where people are leaving do to bad working conditions.

STRESS every time your out of work, your reputation will diminish deeper no matter how good you are. If jumping from state to state (if in the USA), you may not be able to clam state benefits.

BAD IDEA !!!  
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited November 2020
    Forgrimm said:
    They got a PhD in adbottting? :lol:
    Post edited by AlBQuirky on
    MendelUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Ungood said:
    Good Luck !
    Necromancer detected.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Of course you can. I agree with the previous comment that it will not be easy to cope with all the tasks at the same time.  
    You also, another necromancer. The dark forces are lurking all around.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    People who want to break into the Game Industry should try something with less competition like acting, or modeling, or singing, or a political career. All much easier than getting a job in the Game Industry.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I didn't know schools offered degrees in crowdfunding.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

It is worse than simple crowd funding of games,i am extremely suspicious of EVERY venture seeking money from innocent...possibly victims.Example a recent death on the internet was announced,unless people know for FACT i am suspicious of GO FUNDING ventures especially since this person is an internet dude that nobody really knows where he resides or hangs out as he moves around.

There was also a factual case where a hollywood actress from one of the sitcoms ran some go funding venture claiming she was going to bring back the sitcom but somebody found out a year later the money was just to put her daughter through a private school.

Point being you cannot ,keyword>.NOT trust anyone when comes to money.There is even a decent chance that game ou are funding is using STOLEN code,this happens more often than you might think.I know of several that were caught,but of course there will be many more not caught.

Bottom line to stay on topic,i do NOT think gaming is a good venture to get in to unless yo uare open to the idea of using your computer skills to branch into other less related ventures like graphic arts,networking,maybe even working on computers in a Hospital setting etc etc.My point is that you need to be open to MORE than just gaming or i think you will end up struggling badly.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Yes we know very old thread,still more interesting than the many advert articles on mostly crap games.
    Ungood

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mendel said:

https://openeducationonline.com/degrees/20-masters-degree-programs-in-fundraising-donor-relations-grants/

Walsh's degree was in Psychology and you can see how he leveraged that to get nearly $8M on hopes and dreams...

Scot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Get that degree and make us a great game!
    Ungood
  • FaileasFaileas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    You can't go lower than me, OP. I used to be an aspiring artist before I became a freelance Graphic Designer, and the "struggling" artist trope is painfully real. You do not want to become an artist. Artist > Anything Else. Please do not become an artist. My life advice? Just don't follow your dreams, ever. If people tell you ~you can do anything~, look them straight in the eye and tell them to go 'eff themselves. I'm speaking from experience. If you think governments are out to get you; this is how I feel about life. Life is out to get you, mate. Life is there to crush your soul until there's nothing left but painful fragments of your former self. You'll wish you were never born. 

Get a decent office job. Become a Programmer or something. Those are in high-demand and they pay wicked salaries. I wish I made that choice when I was about your age, but nope. Had to do it my way. I was so naïve and starry-eyed back then I was sorely convinced I would be the next AAA top concept artist at a notorious Gaming Studio. Haha, what a joke. Inform your children early on about the harsh realities of life and quit feeding them Disney fairytales.

I feel my posts are starting to become pathological and I need to see a shrink... *drops dead*
    GdemamiUngood
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Faileas said:
    You can't go lower than me, OP. I used to be an aspiring artist before I became a freelance Graphic Designer, and the "struggling" artist trope is painfully real. You do not want to become an artist. Artist > Anything Else. Please do not become an artist. My life advice? Just don't follow your dreams, ever. If people tell you ~you can do anything~, look them straight in the eye and tell them to go 'eff themselves. I'm speaking from experience. If you think governments are out to get you; this is how I feel about life. Life is out to get you, mate. Life is there to crush your soul until there's nothing left but painful fragments of your former self. You'll wish you were never born. 

Get a decent office job. Become a Programmer or something. Those are in high-demand and they pay wicked salaries. I wish I made that choice when I was about your age, but nope. Had to do it my way. I was so naïve and starry-eyed back then I was sorely convinced I would be the next AAA top concept artist at a notorious Gaming Studio. Haha, what a joke. Inform your children early on about the harsh realities of life and quit feeding them Disney fairytales.

I feel my posts are starting to become pathological and I need to see a shrink... *drops dead*
    I've found nearly every starving/struggling artist overvalues there own product.  They don't understand that each image isn't a 400 dollar image.  

Deathkon1 said:
    Trade schools are nice cheaper and get more bang for your buck imagine paying $400 for everything you need to know to be a construction worker or a digital designer in 2 years meanwhile I watch others struggle to pay off those college loans before they die 
    100%.  To bad the young can't see anything past starting pay of Amazon that is $18 and hour where trades start apprentices a few bucks less.  18 now and 18 in 4 years, or 12-15 now and 50 in 4 years.

Oh wait, never mind the school system has systematically told children a 4 year degree will yield you great results, LMFAO.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    For those that are just starting out in programing, take study programs if you can find them in Fortran and Colbal.  There are still places and military that are using those builds in their programs and some of the old games that are still around.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    are overrated
    Gdemami
  • spectralaspectrala Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Awesome choice! Good luck with your Uni application! Computer Games Technology sounds like a thrilling field. Enjoy the journey into the world of gaming and computing! 
  • mianovamianova Newbie CommonPosts: 4

In the United States, colleges and universities are renowned for their academic excellence and diverse opportunities. From Ivy League institutions to state universities and community colleges, the US offers a wide range of educational options to suit every student's needs and aspirations. With world-class faculty, cutting-edge research facilities, and vibrant campus life, pursuing higher education in the US promises an enriching and transformative experience.
    Visit us: https://getcoursesdone.us