Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

up players on mmorpg

damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
are there not many uo players that hang out on these boards?  or, are they just very quiet?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Comments

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Originally posted by damian7
    are there not many uo players that hang out on these boards?  or, are they just very quiet?

Just quiet, I started in 1999, and never intend to play again. I think most people are the same, no point in visiting this section of the boards really.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Anageth

Just quiet, I started in 1999, and never intend to play again. I think most people are the same, no point in visiting this section of the boards really.

just out of curiousity, why never play again?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Because all the fun features which existed pre-AOS are gone, and all the real vets have run away. The only real thing that attracted me to UO was factions, and that is completely dead.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Because all the fun features which existed pre-AOS are gone, and all the real vets have run away. The only real thing that attracted me to UO was factions, and that is completely dead.

Actually the real vets play on free to play classic shards run by other UO fans now.  The official servers have very few true veterans on them.  Mostly just die hard PVE'ers who are still playing UO for whatever reason.  Most because the skill system is STILL unique in the game industry.  My wife loved UO, we played till last year on the official servers.  I no longer do and since I don't she stopped playing altogether.

And, since most other true UO die-hards on this site do that they don't post here because it would get them banned.  We're not supposed to talk about the free shards out there.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Elnator

Actually the real vets play on free to play classic shards run by other UO fans now.  The official servers have very few true veterans on them.  Mostly just die hard PVE'ers who are still playing UO for whatever reason.  Most because the skill system is STILL unique in the game industry.  My wife loved UO, we played till last year on the official servers.  I no longer do and since I don't she stopped playing altogether.

And, since most other true UO die-hards on this site do that they don't post here because it would get them banned.  We're not supposed to talk about the free shards out there.

Yeah I knew that, I GMed on a free server for 2 years, but that's not to say that all vets are there. Just about every single person I played with on OSI/Europa server has quit. It's pretty safe to say that vets either quit, stayed or moved to other games like EVE.

• Mystic_FuzzMystic_Fuzz Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I'm an 8yr vet of UO and currently play.

I do gotta say this is a dying game. EA has pretty much ruined it since 2000 when Ren came out and pretty much every expansion that has come after has been more of a joke. I'm on my last leg with this game.

I don't think freeshards are the way to go either. Lots of favoritism with the people who run it and the players. Plus, you never know when it could end. One day you could wake up and see a message saying "Welp, real life taking over. Shutting down shard. kthxbye" Such was the case with a few of the bigger shards in recent history.

Nothing will be able to bring this game back up to compete with other next gen games. The engine on the game is too old and difficult to work with. They would have to create a new UO game, scrap pretty much everything, and start from scratch. Unfortunately for them, everytime they get close to beta, EA shuts it down. Me thinks they would be better off sticking to solo games because they obviously aren't good at running MMO's (see Sims Online)

Ultima Online
    Mystic of The Fallen Lords (Pacific 98-01)
    Mystic of Catskills (03 - 08)

Originally posted by Mystic_Fuzz

I don't think freeshards are the way to go either. Lots of favoritism with the people who run it and the players. Plus, you never know when it could end. One day you could wake up and see a message saying "Welp, real life taking over. Shutting down shard. kthxbye" Such was the case with a few of the bigger shards in recent history.

Depends what server you pick. If you pick a server called "Zomg teh old skewl serva", then your best not playing MMORPGs. There are loads of decent servers out there, won't say names, but have been around for a very very long time.

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

I quit around 2000, when they split the lands. Then I came back when AOS came out, I think this was about 2003 not sure but I came back because of all the hype around it, and almost died, they  turned the game into Diablo 2. It was ok for a few months, then it finally sunk in that they ruined my favorite game ever. So i left and never came back.

I was really hoping UO2 would have came out, I was excited about that. But it got shelved. Maybe someday they will make another Ultima Online that resembles the first game, I think it would be successful if they stuck to the roots of what made Ultima Online so great, community in which you needed alliances to survive, not this virtual neon fashion runway show that they call UO now.

• I'm also a vagabond UO vet. The sad truth of the matter is that if someone would simply COPY UO, they'd have my subscription. I played EVE for awhile, but it wasn't for me. About to give Saga of Ryzom a try. I'm hopeful!

But yeah, UO's dead and gone, what we have here is a lesser version of Diablo 2.

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855

Diablo 2 how is it anything like it????? im so confused. examples please. my account is 76 months old i have played pre and post i like pre alittle post alot more just wish EA would sell it to a company who cared. i recently the past 3 month came back and have alot of fun. pvp is still alive and the population is alot larger than what it was 3 years ago when i went back last. which is surprising. this game is far from dead. ::::20::::::28::

oh and to clarify people who are into FFA thats cool and i realize you all try and ratinalize it as being real life well i play mmo's to relax and unwinde not be reminded that even online most people are assholes.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Just quiet, not a lot to say about it.

I agree that a small dedicated company could still enhance UO well enough, but EA just wants to keep milking the customer base and that base rather looks for flashier games to be entertained.

• NMShadeyNMShadey Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Jkun

I'm also a vagabond UO vet. The sad truth of the matter is that if someone would simply COPY UO, they'd have my subscription. I played EVE for awhile, but it wasn't for me. About to give Saga of Ryzom a try. I'm hopeful!

But yeah, UO's dead and gone, what we have here is a lesser version of Diablo 2.

Following your steps here. Played UO for 3 years and loved every second of it. Tried Eve, but it lacked something, not sure what. Got Saga downloading right now, hope its enjoyable as people say :-)
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Jkun
    I'm also a vagabond UO vet. The sad truth of the matter is that if someone would simply COPY UO, they'd have my subscription. I played EVE for awhile, but it wasn't for me. About to give Saga of Ryzom a try. I'm hopeful!

too right give me a pre AoS UO with average graphics and they can have my $50.I careless if its a copy.The tamer/bard i played required more skill then most other games.Only sandbox game i played close to UO was SWG in the beginning and it even was nowhere as good.

• Subgenius666Subgenius666 Member Posts: 55
    thats funny i still have my ultima collectors edition anthology set .. of all ultimas before UO ... and on the back of it  it has the add for UO2 :)  

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by Subgenius666
    thats funny i still have my ultima collectors edition anthology set .. of all ultimas before UO ... and on the back of it  it has the add for UO2 :)  

Yes the sad ballad of UO2.It amazes me EA canned a game which was all set to beta in a few weeks.

I understand the need to milk as much money as possible from UO but 10 years is a long time for a game and surely even EA can see its time for a sequel.

• avienthasavienthas Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Started UO late 97 or early 98, can´t remember. Totally addicted until they split the lands, I used to spend more time on europa than with my gf 

Started again a couple of months into Trammel, got bored quickly, started again after AoS and I was shocked what they did to the game. If they could turn back the clock to T2A days and bring my old guild together [EKC heart and soul] I would even pay 15 a moth to go back. Prime-time, facets, combat revamp, turn to item-based,item insurance (lol) , all these things ruined the game for me. There was a time where you could never know the skillset of the guy in front of you, because there were so many skills that were so hard to GM...3xGM used to be "cool-vet", more than that and you were demi-god. The danger was palpable, you could get killed and looted clean anywhere anytime, so friends were really sticking together, hell, we were having the time of our lives and a constant adrenaline rush to boot.

Then they went and made it a piece of cake to be 7xGM and suddenly everyone was template A or B. Then they introduced Trammel and all the danger-induced cohesion that used to make guildlife so thrilling was swept away. "PKs in Shame 3", a message that used to insta-spawn a dozen guildmates to the scene suddenly only got a shrug and an occasional "play trammel" retort.

I´m forever addicted now to the sandbox design (yes, I loved early SWG), but UO is dead for me. Out of the hundreds of people I used to know on europa (-and some of them played it 8 years straight-) none remain that still do. The last of them quit just weeks ago. The throbbing,thriving feeling of the early days is replaced with innumerable useless items and options and a battle system that rewards the better equiped (who ever came up with item insurance for UO?  ).

In other words, thanks EA,for ruining our game,  and goodbye.

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220
    Im still around on Euro .. from time to time.
    Not very much to do as a thief playin UO atm but what the hell..

• ApocalypticaApocalyptica Member Posts: 491
    Well here is a vet (nearly 7 years now) that is still playing and still enjoying it every single day :) Just recently sign up here though.

------------------------------------------------------
    Do I ever sleep?