Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OK lets break it down

LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

Regarding the Press Release

While - I'm starting to lose faith in the OP, lets look at this quote

"Star Wars® Galaxies: Complete will allow players to experience more than 640 areas of exploration and excitement in the online world of Star Wars," said Chris Sturr, Sr. Brand Manager, Sony Online Entertainment.

First couple of questions I have right off the bat.

1) Why is Nancy MacIntyre not being quoted here.  Chriss Sturr normally does the quotes for eq and psp, but to my knowledge has not made a statement for SWG.

2) Why is not LEC not mentioned.  In every other SWG PR there is always a "About Lucas Arts" section.

3) How many Explorable areas do we have in SWG? What makes up an Area?

4) And most important- Who in the current playerbase cares anything about exploring? 

I have been trying to break this in sections and searching for unique phrases in google to no avail.  My gut says hack job, but cant verify it.  This PR has enough off the wall new information, that it boggles the mind as to it's origin, fake or not.

Comments

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

Originally posted by Leel

While - I'm starting to lose faith in the OP, lets look at this quote
    "Star Wars® Galaxies: Complete will allow players to experience more than 640 areas of exploration and excitement in the online world of Star Wars," said Chris Sturr, Sr. Brand Manager, Sony Online Entertainment.
    First couple of questions I have right off the bat.
    1) Why is Nancy MacIntyre not being quoted here.  Chriss Sturr normally does the quotes for eq and psp, but to my knowledge has not made a statement for SWG.
    She no longer has anything to do with SWG. She was promtoed to the marketing for global affaris thing or whatever the hell you want to call it.
    2) Why is not LEC not mentioned.  In every other SWG PR there is always a "About Lucas Arts" section.
    The actual links that were given in other posts showed the product, and no where in the stat breakdown / description was SOE on it anywhere. All of the credits went to LEC/LA.
    3) How many Explorable areas do we have in SWG? What Makes up an Area.
    No clue... Lots I would guess.. Im sure if you break down each city / planet / zone you can get to 640.. This part sounds liek spin to me.. but oh well.
    4) And most important- Who in there current playerbase cares anything about exploring? 
    You do it all the time whether you know it or not... Traveling from one place to another is exploring... Again sounds like spin to me..

I have been trying to break this in sections and searching for unique phrases in google to no avail.  My gut says hack job, but cant verify it.  This PR has enough off the wall new information, that it boggles the mind as to it's origin, fake or not.

Well... SOE is denying it... You can either take them at face value, or we could assume the rumors about a new SWG coming out under a new company were correct... SOE gets to keep the NGE and either LEC or a 3rd source company gets the old code... It would answer why SOE keeps saying they cant go back to it..

SOE can deny it all they want and be right if they have nothing to do with the new stuff... They stated its an all in one thing.. They never stated it was "their" all in one thing though.

Last option is the OP is a hoax....

Who knows... Its been way to quiet over at SOE lately.. All there main peeps go on "vacation" when a MAJOR event comes out (Which i am wondering if they were pulled to HQ to discuss whats going on)... A new LEC producer drops in on a forum and Appologizes.... No sign of Julio... The rumors about Smed going bye bye... They are going with  anew company with "better servers"...

Lots of "what if's"....

Xcathdra

Who knows..

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

Original POst

There is no mention of LA in this release but there has been in every other SWg release.  You can go to LucasArts.com and look at the press releases for SWG and they are the same format.

First they talk about the new changes, then quote some guy, then they have an about Lucas Arts section, and then and About SOE section.

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Well, XML technolog allows this to be included or not included per the proofing cycle of the release.  That is, this was an internal pre-view.  THe final copy would/will have the appropriate LEC references.

Original POst

There is no mention of LA in this release but there has been in every other SWg release.  You can go to LucasArts.com and look at the press releases for SWG and they are the same format.
    First they talk about the new changes, then quote some guy, then they have an about Lucas Arts section, and then and About SOE section.

This is what I was talking about... Highlighted in Red... This is the new pack coming out.. no SOE on it...

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=646657

Star Wars: Galaxies Complete
    Star Wars: Galaxies Complete
    Pre-Release
    Ships 11/15/06
    $29.99 Add To Cart
    E-mail me if the date changes
    Publisher: Lucasarts Entertainment
    Developer: LucasArts Entertainment
    Platform: PC
    Category: Role Playing,Online
    ZIP Code: Distance:

• acmtalkacmtalk Member Posts: 405
    Honest , I can only see They haveing a pre-cu or some sorte of mix between pre and CU,  the emu forces Them to do so!  Crap, if they don't do it, They will loose way too many of the people left,  I say 80-90% of the people playing the game, are only doing cuzz there is nothing like swg was out there,  when the emu is finished, most of the vets will go to comunities servers,  Soe has no choice.

• RekkaraRekkara Member Posts: 62
    SOE always denies it when news is leaked. The CU, the NGE. So...maybe this is true.
  • ColaCola Member Posts: 402

Factor in the SOE block party on the same date and several other factors and there is something to it.

Its either one of two options in my eyes.

1)   A pre cu Version will be introduced

0r

2)   Its just another spin to grab money

Remember the business state that Sony in general is in atm. Stock is down and the company is not doing as well as they think they should.

If a pre cu version could bring in 100k subs = 1.5 million dollars a month

If it brings in a xtra 200k subs                   = 3 million a month

When you factor in the state of SOE, they need to make a big move. This would be something they could do to add a tremendous sales boost and get some heat off them from SONY. It would make their division look a little better to the other SONY divisions that are doing as poorly as they are.

If a pre cu version would only bring back 100K subs ( we all think more) but just say 100K. No way will costs of running a pre cu version would be more then that.

It just makes sense to execute a biz move like this                                                                                                                                                                    Of course.

Common Sense is something SOE fails to grasp

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670
    One can only hope...   But this has been talked before.  This is just a compilation of the game with all the expansions.  The part where it says: "Original game" it's just marketing spin.  You guys are reading way too much into it!

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

oops...that was off topic. wrong thread.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Originally posted by hipiap

Guys....its a software pack that includes every expansion plus SW:G.
    Its not a Pre-CU Classic version.  Its the Total Package of the Game plus Expansions.
    There will be SW:G, JTL, ToOW & RotW
    Its a gimmick to get new player subs and also get all the NGE crowd that didn't get the expaansions to be able to get them for one cheap price now.
    Why am I the only one that gets this?

You may very well be right. Like I said its either one of two things and that was one of them. What you fail to realize is that some of the main guyz over at SOE dont know exactly what they are doing until it happens. They have lied so many times and unleashed so many "surprises" that we dont put anything past them.

It is probbaly just a spin to grab more money

BUT as I said above, I can seee a classic version offered. It would make money sense.

Its a good point.  I know from emails that TH, Virrago and Nadias are pissed off with the management and dev teams.

The Dev's and Project managers make the decisions and the CSR's get the sh1t3.

I worked for Sony (NOT SOE) for a few years back in the 90's.  The 'Chicken Little' Complex is company wide there. 

*edit for spellinng.  Need more B33r*

• VeustuhVeustuh Member Posts: 45

As others have pointed out our malinformed friend MacIntyre was promoted to global affairs or basically sent to a closet office to which she will hopefully do no more harm to any LEC title with rash statements.  As for Chris or any other LEC person being silent about this SW:G Complete ordeal it's more or less SOE's job to advertise this venture.  LEC will probably post something official close to the date for the announcement's release.

LEC is still listed on the box set and odds are will be listed in the polished official announcement when it's released.  This is nothing more than spin created by both if indeed leaked to get an arousal from the community.  Honestly if LEC did revoke the Star Wars license from SOE do you think they wouldn't announce it and that SOE would still be allowed to package this new edition with Star Wars in it?  (quick answer is no, when a corp pulls its license it takes it toys too)

3) How many Explorable areas do we have in SWG? What makes up an Area?

All POIs, star ports, space ports, as well as 90% of Kashyyk and Mustfar would more than likely make up for the 640 different areas listed in this advertisement.  A name for that matter would be considered an "area" in SOE's eyes.  Remember this is the group who said that the NGE is "immersive".

4) And most important- Who in the current playerbase cares anything about exploring? 

Eh.. this could be said for any game really; however, SOE/LA have done a rather good job at taking out the exploring part of SW:G and giving players that instant gratification to which means that the feeling of boredom sets in much sooner with Post-NGE then in the old systems.  I think a better question to ask is why does anybody still play this game especially if they've experienced CU and Pre-CU?  Honestly there are much better games out there and if the Star Wars label is the only thing keeping people around why bother because this game is so far removed from Star Wars in any organized fashion and resembles more of a hodge podge of items.

It's more than likely true as this is the next logical step for SOE/LA to take in trying to capitalize from this joint venture.  With the public announcement that they're not working on any expansions this year they still need to do something to push box sales and what better choice then to do an all in one push.  Much like one could find the full sets of older single player games SW:G has now started into sunset mode where everything will be offered and expansions will be lost or worked indefinitely.

What SOE/LA has done to help hype this package and will lead to sales and returns of vets again (the Restuss thing was a pure PR spin to get vets back and worked so well on many) is by adding the following line to their soon to be released press statement:'

Star Wars® Galaxies: Complete offers the original classic game, as well as all expansion packs! This revolutionary collection will also provide changes in the core timeline and events in the Star Wars Universe!

That single line will bring back vets who fall for this little trick.  Much like Julio's spin on the 80% of vets still play the NGE statement this too is a baiting statement.  Anything over X amount of years old can be considered "classic".  Cars and other vehicles usually in the US hit classic at 15 years old, games would typically be titled classic much sooner.  Titles such as Star Wars Battlfront would now be deemed "classic" as the second edition would be now the current.  Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided is considered a "classic" title, not the game play but the box and CD's themselves.  The SW:G Start Kit is the current product so by saying they're going to offer the "original classic game" is much akin to saying that to reinstall SW:G again use your original disks (to which most vets have the original CD).

Furthermore to confuse the returning veterans is the statement about the revolutionary changes in core time line and events would account for each expansion post-SW:G Empire Divided (released 2003) as well as the recent Restuss event as Restuss was fully functional during the time period between EP 4 and 5.  Additionally, the introduction of everything pre-EP4 once again "provide changes in the core timeline" as the original SW:G Empire Divided boxset claimed the game to be set between EP4 and 5 to which damn near everything added to the game outside of JTL has been EP1 - 3 related if not further back.  Typical bullshit spun from SOE/LA in order to confuse the hopefuls.

I could be wrong on my assumptions over the soon to be released press statement; however, this is SOE we're dealing with.  They haven't budged on the NGE and are doing everything they can to keep as much of it intact as they're pushing out each new publish.  Sure target lock is suppose to come back but the players are still forced to use a quasi-FPS style attack for what was and should have always been a turn based system.  Aside from this even if they do release classic servers populations on existing servers would drastically drop to which there would be no use for the NGE servers thus causing another exodious in players; however, not near to the extent of which left post-NGE but still enough to garner more bad press for this ailing title.

I really hope they are not dumb enough to put classic SWG on an NGE box... Talk about setting yourself up for a bait and switch lawsuit..

Originally posted by Xcathdra
    I really hope they are not dumb enough to put classic SWG on an NGE box... Talk about setting yourself up for a bait and switch lawsuit..

Correct,

This wouldnt be the first time SOE has marketed like this tho. Remember Toow, It was marketed to have new content for CHs. What was it 2 days after release? They announced they were removing CH from the game. Several reports were filed at the BBB and SOE was obligated to give refunds to anyone that had bought the expansion.

There are tons of other "incidents"  That one stands out to me cause I was shocked at how a well known company could sell you something fully knowing that in just a mater of hours it would be completely worthless.

The problem is that it is their IP....they can market it anyway they want so long as LEC/LA allows it.

My Hyperspace membership ends on the 19th.

SWG was cancelled as of June 1st.

Money saved=  3 x $14.99 x 12 + $49.95

• maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778
    I am often amazed at the threads you can find in this forum. Do you all realize you are trying to "Break Down" a simple ad? You all must be pretty bored...

SOE Said complete it must mean they are from mars and planing an invasion of Detroit, cause if they were not why would they say complete? lol too funny!

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419
    Ha ha ha ha! You guys got PLAYED! It's a hoax. It's the Everquest Titanium press release:

SAN DIEGO, CA – December 12, 2005 Sony Online
    Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer
    online gaming, announced today that it will be releasing EverQuest® Titanium,
    an all-inclusive collection consisting of EverQuest Classic and the
    first ten expansions. EverQuest Titanium carries a suggested retail
    price of $19.99 and will be available at retail beginning January 11,
    2006. In addition to the release of EverQuest Titanium, SOE will launch
    EQ Players, a website that will enhance the services provided to EQ players.

EverQuest Titanium offers the original classic game, as well as all ten expansion packs: The Ruins of Kunark®, The Scars of Velious®, The Shadows of Luclin®, The Planes of Power®,
    The Legacy of Ykesha™, Lost Dungeons of Norrath™, Gates of Discord™,
    Dragons of Norrath™, Omens of War™ and Depths of Darkhollow™.

"EverQuest Titanium will allow players to experience more than 375
    areas of exploration and excitement in the online world of Norrath,"
    said Chris Sturr, Sr. Brand Manager, Sony Online Entertainment. "This
    five-disk collection is essential for both classic EverQuest players
    and those interested in entering into the EverQuest experience for the
    first time as it will include in game items such as a collapsible
    roboboar and a frozen crystal shard." (Please note: items are only
    claimable in one satchel for one player character.)

In addition to EverQuest Titanium, SOE is launching EQ Players, a
    website designed to extend the player's interaction with the game
    outside of the game world. This new service gives players more ways to
    access, track and expand their in-game characters by obtaining
    character statistics, profiles, item information, in-game activities
    and more all in one place. The website, www.eqplayers.com, will launch
    on December 15, 2005, and will have profiles for more than 4.9 million
    characters and more than 335 million total inventory items. EQ Players
    will be available for EverQuest players to try, at no additional cost,
    until December 29, 2005, after which time some EQ Players features will
    carry a monthly fee. In addition, as a special offer, SOE will
    reactivate previously closed EverQuest accounts for 21 days of free
    gameplay but the former EverQuest players must take advantage of this
    offer before January 13, 2006.

About Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a subsidiary of Sony Pictures
    Digital Inc., is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer
    online games, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers around the
    globe. SOE creates, develops and provides compelling entertainment for
    the personal computer, online, game console and wireless markets. Known
    for its blockbuster franchises and hit titles including EverQuest ® , EverQuest ® II, Champions of Norrath ® , Untold Legends™, and PlanetSide ® , as well as for developing Star Wars Galaxies™: An Empire Divided™ ,
    SOE continues to redefine the business of online gaming and the
    creation of active player communities while introducing new genres on
    various entertainment platforms. Headquartered in San Diego , CA , with
    additional development studios in Austin , TX , Seattle , WA , and
    Taiwan , SOE has an array of cutting-edge online games in development.

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    Wasn't it less than a week ago that someone was saying "Lying that Smed got fired is a lot like yelling out 'We've won! Everyone re-sub! They're releasing classic servers!"

• duggoduggo Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by Squidi
    Ha ha ha ha! You guys got PLAYED! It's a hoax. It's the Everquest Titanium press release:

Oooh, ouch.  What a mean prank.

Do you have a link to that EQ press release?

-d

Waiting on: Pirates of the Burning Sea and Pirates of the Carribean Online