Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overclocking my CPU

gothokaosgothokaos Member UncommonPosts: 145

Ok all you overclockers..... I have a question for you!

I just purchased a AMD 2500+ CPU and plugged it into a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR mobo.

I cannot seem to get the CPU to run at anything but the stock setting, I have a bigger than stock CPU cooler and would like to increase my clock speed to 200MHZ. When I do this in the BIOS it freezes on restart and just beeps, I tried increasing the voltage a lil bit but it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Gothokaos Maelstrom
Innoruuk

Comments

• mrwigglz07mrwigglz07 Member Posts: 283
    email my friend at [email protected] him wigglz07 sent you

The anticipation of death is far worse than death itself...

[img]http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/images/banner.gif[img]

If you wait to do something until the last minute, your more efficient since it will only take 1 minute.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

have you tried doing it with the jumpers instead?
    or it could be that your motherboard doesnt like overlcocking, Id Reccomend ASUS personally.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by gothokaos

Ok all you overclockers..... I have a question for you!
    I just purchased a AMD 2500+ CPU and plugged it into a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR mobo.
    I cannot seem to get the CPU to run at anuthing but the stock setting, I have a bigger than stock CPU cooler and would like to increase my clock speed to 200MHZ. When I do this in the BIOS it freezes on restart and just beeps, I tried increasing the voltage a lil bit but it does the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Gothokaos Maelstrom
    Innoruuk

u have the latest motherboard drivers?

• PlassonPlasson Member Posts: 79

Try different multipliers.. I know my 2500+Barton don't like it at certain settings.. Running at 2,15 Ghz atm..(somewhere 3000/3200) One notch higher, and I can't reboot.. I can start it once.. and keep the computer running.. but If I have to reboot for any reason.. I have to reset the Bios, rather weird really...

Though I could Use some more silent cooling, as the 4 case fans +cpu and gpu fans are starting to get a bit noisy.. think I have to replace the case fans soon.. they're cheap and expendable anyway.

Edit: Horrendous spelling

• gothokaosgothokaos Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I have the latest Mobo drivers Murt. It locks up even if I up the clock speed by 1mhz....

Gothokaos Maelstrom
    Innoruuk

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

hmm

taht's interesting

hold on, lemme check ur first post again

wow that's interesting...

while i have no experience in overclcoking, djin does

so if he sees this, you're lucky

im planning to overclock soon also, i also have a 2500...

DJIN! WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!?

heh

Hmm.. re-reading your post..

you want to set the clock speed to 200mhz?? Missing a 0?

OR are you talking about the FSB???

I know on my Aopen MB I had to set the base FSB on the mobo, the 100/133/166/200's with a jumper on the mobo.

Since my barton is a 333, also my memory is 333mhz i had to set it to 166.. Then I can adjust the fsb in single mhz increments in the bios, or up the Multiplier by 0.5 steps I haven't tried adjust the single stepping of the fsb.. I just upped the multiplier so the cpu reports 2,15ghz instead of 1,83 while the system still runs at 333mhz FSB

This is what I've gathered.... SystemClock times Multiplier = InternalClock or 200Mhz * 11.0 = 2200Mhz. I have pc3200 ram that is supposed to run at 400MHZ DDR so I would like to ultilize my investment in the XMS memory and run it at the speed that I paid for. It's running at 333MHz right now. When I had a 2400+ CPU it ran on 266MHZ. Once getting the new CPU My score on winmark increased from 9600 to 13000. Thats just from a change of FSB speeds. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Gothokaos Maelstrom
    Innoruuk

Yeah, sounds about rigth really.. so many definitins used :)

I was hoping soon to up to 400mhz memory myself, though I've always wondered how it would  interact with a 333 proc. In my Bios, from 166mhz, im able to adjust the clock speed up to about 192 if I remember correctly. not 200 but close.. tried it that way? Iv'e tried getting on MSI.tw's pages but it seem inaccesible atm(They've always been a slow site to me anyway) to see if they had any solutions.

http://http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/ register at their forums and see if you can find better more experienced help there, as this is as far as my experience goes.

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

You might be able to downlaod a windows tweak program that will allow you to do this more easier.

P.S Innoruk I think I know you from somewhere maybe Everquest?

-OSC-

(Akiraosc)

Yes I'm from EQ! I was in Formidable when I left the game....

What windows program can tweak my settings? Please link it if possible. Nvidia has a program that can do it but it is not compatible with my mobo. Thanks again in advance!!

Gothokaos Maelstrom
    Innoruuk

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

there isnt a program that can overclock for you, its just patients, but Id reccomend you try using jumpers, if you having problems with tweaking via the BIOS

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

(Akiraosc)

Originally posted by gothokaos

Yes I'm from EQ! I was in Formidable when I left the game....
    What windows program can tweak my settings? Please link it if possible. Nvidia has a program that can do it but it is not compatible with my mobo. Thanks again in advance!!

Gothokaos Maelstrom
    Innoruuk

Sorry messed upon the last post :(

But anywho I quess there is a program to help wit overclocking the CPU. "read above" But actuall I never really knew for sure. But when it comes to the overclosking manual Gothokaos I would search for manuals of info on it at www.google.com.

P.S What are jumpers?

-OSC-

(Akiraosc)