Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions!

os008os008 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Hi all,

I posted before asking about the best MMO suitable for me, and some recommended Ryzom and some EQII, i tried Ryzom for the past week, sadly to say the mainland doesn't have lots of quests, sure the community is supurb, and even more, but i'm not into group events and such, the game is great, but it's not for me, i need something like EQII, lots of quests, and lots of them r team based, but i have a couple of questions about it:

1- How's the population, is the game being deserted?

2- Are the new expansions from SOE free, if not, how much do they cost, do they come with free month of play?

3- How's the support of SOE? and the community? is it like WoW, "moronic" users everywhere :D

4- Are there killer bugs in the game, and is the skill system working good?

5- Is there lots of lag? or is it rare?

6- Is there any similar game to this one out there, that doesn't have the same bads of it, would u recommend DAoC over EQII, from the value side of things, i mean ... DAoC has supurb GFX, has been updated a lot now, and has lots of quests, has great PvP, all the expansions can be bought for just 20$ in one pack now (or so i think), BUT, it's nearing its end with WAR coming out soon.

7- When i buy EQII, do i get the other expansions with it? or just the original?

Thanks.

Egyptian, 27
Former EQ2, Guild Wars player
Waiting on the next decent MMO
Currently playing ... nothing.

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

1.  Despite what many people will tell you, the population is growing.  You should have no problem finding people to play with at any level.  I have characters at virtually every level range, and all of them can easily get groups.

2.  No they're not free.  They cost about $30, and do not come with a free month of play (you only get that when you first start the game).

3.  I have had no problems with support from SOE.  EQ2 is the only SOE game I've really gotten into, and I know they have a bad rep for their other games, but I've had absolutely no problems in EQ2.  As for the community, it's one of the best of any MMO I've played.  Sure there's the occasional idiot/jackass, but every game has those.  In general the community is very mature and friendly.

4.  The closest thing to a killer bug is the memory leak which has existed since the game was released.  Basically what it does is that every time you zone a little bit of your RAM (and I emphasize little) is lost to nothing.  It doesn't do much at first, but if you play for several hours in one sitting you may start running into lag.  However, all you have to do to fix the problem is log out and restart the game.

5.  See number 4.  As for other lag, the game is generally pretty smooth if you put your graphics at a setting comparable to your card.  If you try to put them too high, you're going to get lag.

6.  I never played DAoC, so I can't respond on that part, but there's really no other games I can think of too terribly much like EQ2 in every aspect.

7.  If you buy Kingdom of Sky (the newest expansion) for $30 it comes with EQ2 standard game, but Desert of Flames (the first expansion) does not.

Hope that helps!

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• os008os008 Member UncommonPosts: 83

Thanks for your reply,

EQII - KoS Purchase Page

So if i buy it as a download i don't get the original game, and what if i bought it from one of the retail stores a the bottom of that page, will i still get the 1 month free play, wasn't mentioned!

I emailed them btw, just waiting for their reply.

Egyptian, 27

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357
    Yes if you buy it through KoS you should still get the one month free subscription.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242
    According to www.mmogchart.com the population has taken something of a nosedive lately, but remains quite solid. Looks like it's leveling off for the moment. The servers still seem pretty well populated to me though.

It's a fun game with a lot to do and see. Give the free trial a spin and see if the gameplay is for you.

I'll get the game on Thursday or Sunday, but i have a couple more questions plz ...

1- What's the difference between a PvP server and other ones, and y should i join a PvP server, i know that PvP servers allow players to "gank" each others :P, but what will i miss if i don't join a PvP server? also i saw someone write that PvP servers don't have PvP Arenas, is that a bad thing?

2- What's the difference between the Good and Evil path (not in a n00bish sense please, explain technical :))?

3- Will i survive if i made a Necro character on a PvP server?

4- Is a Necro chr useful in PvP?

5- What r the best chr to make for PvP (i hate healing)? please try to state the similarities between them and known chrs, like if something is called "ateotqtliqtlhgq" say it's like a "Necro" or "Ranger" for example, or if u say "Assassin" state that it's a main "Stealth" chr.

6- Which server is the best and most populated in each category (PvP and Non-PvP)?

7- Which chrs have Pets (i think the Rangers, right?)?

8- What's the big deal about Stealth on PvP servers, how r they so useful, do u become invisible to other players?

9- Does this game have a second path like GW and Titan Quest (not an MMO, Solo game)?

10- Should i buy all of the Adventure packs, and now better or at what level, and what will i gain when i buy them, and should i choose certain ones from the 3 available?

I'm asking all this cause if u have noticed i love Summoner chrs, especially Evil ones, also here's y i'm worried before i start this game ... i played GW (look at my sig) for a long time, and i LOVE Necros anyway, but found out they r only great in PvE and useless in PvP, that's when i was shocked, so i made 3 other chrs just to pass time and use them in PvP, they r Elementalist/Mesmer (Nuker), Ranger/Assassin (Spiker), Warrior/Monk (Tanker, or supposed to be :P), but i don't want to cap EQII just to realize that my chr is useless in PvP and that i have to start all over again, as a side note, i love Fire Caster and Creatures Master (like Pets and Minions, not a legit name :P) chrs.

Thanks.

Egyptian, 27

BUMP!

EDIT: nm everyone, got the answers, thanks.

Egyptian, 27