Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF it werent for SOE, no one would give vanguard any attention

lets face it .... if it werent for the SIGIL debacle with SOE taking over publishing for V:SOH no one would even be paying attention to this game right now, now dont get me wrong, i dont particularly like SOE, in fact theres not one company i hate more ....but they did bring attention to vanguard where there was none, which is a plus, because if people werent following the drama with SOE, the game's hype would have lost steam looooong ago .... the concept is boring, played out ... nothing new ...

Comments

  • dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

    Actually before the SOE deal - Vanguard was #1 on the hype meter.  And even before the SOE deal they had far and away the most posts in their forum of any of the other "Games in Development"  So, not sure if I buy your appraisal.

    Plus, if your argument is correct, then that would mean the SOE deal actually "helped" Vanguard.  And, we all know from the tons of posts on the subject that there is no way that is correct. 



  • SelothSeloth Member Posts: 388

    Pre-SoE i was a silent watcher/luker, VERY interesting in the game. Post-SoE, i am concerned and will probably watch and see for a longer period post launch to see if the usual launch issues common to mmorpgs occurs and IF so how are they addressed and handled by all the parties involed.

    I honestly think that the game has a huge ammount of possibilities, it will come down to the execution when the iron is not in the forge but in heat of real world.

  • dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185
    Can't argue with that logic Seloth.  I would say that represents the vast majority of us here.  There are just some of us here that play the Devil's advocate to offset the SOE-haters.  

  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332


    Originally posted by NeuroXl

    lets face it .... if it werent for the SIGIL debacle with SOE taking over publishing for V:SOH no one would even be paying attention to this game right now, now dont get me wrong, i dont particularly like SOE, in fact theres not one company i hate more ....but they did bring attention to vanguard where there was none, which is a plus, because if people werent following the drama with SOE, the game's hype would have lost steam looooong ago .... the concept is boring, played out ... nothing new ...



    Methinks you protest too much.

    The nay-saying trolls just can't stop inventing "reasons" for no longer supporting post-SOE Vanguard.

    But they can't just walk away -- they have to keep coming back to bad-mouth the game (which is STILL in development with retail release about half a year -- or more -- away).

    You know what I think?  I think these guys will wait for release and then about a month later, very quietly, will purchase Vanguard and play it.

    Of course, they will never admit they were wrong.

    ~ Ancient Membership ~

  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,922

    Vanguard is well known amongst EQ fans for a while now and among the veteran mmorpg crowd(aka pre WoW).

    But apart from that its virtually unknown.In WoW i would mention WAR and a few knew about it,mention vanguard and there be "whats that".

    SoE might be able to distribute the game wider then was possible without them.

  • n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926


    Originally posted by hercules

    Vanguard is well known amongst EQ fans for a while now and among the veteran mmorpg crowd(aka pre WoW).
    But apart from that its virtually unknown.In WoW i would mention WAR and a few knew about it,mention vanguard and there be "whats that".
    SoE might be able to distribute the game wider then was possible without them.


    And you expected more from people who still find WoW entertaining?

    image image

  • altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    What are you talking about? I'm registered in vanguard forums since
    2004, there were tons of people registered  in 2003, which have
    deserted the forums. I`'m paying Vanguard almost zero attention since
    the SOE deal.

  • TithrielleTithrielle Member Posts: 547


    Originally posted by NeuroXl

    they did bring attention to vanguard where there was none


    You think there was no attention for vanguard before SOE? Sorry fella, but you're v wrong.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 1,997
    I don't agree. Sorry.

  • VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

    Well...I'll agree but not in the way you would think...

    If it weren't for SOE, Brad and company wouldn't have the respect that they hold...and therefore wouldn't have gotten the attention they did when they launched Sigil and announced Vanguard. On top of that, if it weren't for their previous involvement with SOE, many people who did take notice wouldn't have been able to get their friend's attention by saying that Vanguard is being made by alot of the people who made EQ.

    So Yeah, I suppose, in a way...Vanguard is getting alot of the attention it is now because of SOE, but not in the way you were suggesting.

    image

  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529


    Originally posted by Vengeful

    Well...I'll agree but not in the way you would think...
    If it weren't for SOE, Brad and company wouldn't have the respect that they hold...and therefore wouldn't have gotten the attention they did when they launched Sigil and announced Vanguard. On top of that, if it weren't for their previous involvement with SOE, many people who did take notice wouldn't have been able to get their friend's attention by saying that Vanguard is being made by alot of the people who made EQ.

    So Yeah, I suppose, in a way...Vanguard is getting alot of the attention it is now because of SOE, but not in the way you were suggesting.


    You know what they say... ANY press is good press.

    Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.
    image

    imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

  • achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

    i dont agree with that at all

    SOE is a not a good company... I think that they might be keeping players from Playing this game considering what they did to Eq after the second expan

    image

  • achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    yeah an ypress is good press enless they try to take the game over like they did in Eq

    image

  • TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294


    Originally posted by achellis

    i dont agree with that at all
    SOE is a not a good company... I think that they might be keeping players from Playing this game considering what they did to Eq after the second expan


    Soe is a excellent company... Soe owned everquest before it was even thought up. Soe do not own vanguard so they can't make any bad gameplay changes.

    Soe have an excellent record with servers and customer support. They are excellent publishers. Everquest 2 is a good mmo. Swg is a good mmo.

    Millions of ppl have played there games. Millions of ppl have enjoyed them. Just because you do not like there games does not mean they are a bad company.

  • JoekabukeJoekabuke Member Posts: 191


    Originally posted by n2sooners

    Originally posted by hercules

    Vanguard is well known amongst EQ fans for a while now and among the veteran mmorpg crowd(aka pre WoW).
    But apart from that its virtually unknown.In WoW i would mention WAR and a few knew about it,mention vanguard and there be "whats that".
    SoE might be able to distribute the game wider then was possible without them.

    And you expected more from people who still find WoW entertaining?


    QFT!
  • ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

    Van was the number #1 hyped game. Granted rankings on this site dont mean much but I think alot of people were looking forward to it. (till sony)

    I think people are looking at Age of Conan now and Warhammer to be the "next" big games. There's some drama with WAR and EA but ive never had issue with EA sports or otherwise.

    Granted neither game will touch WoW's numbers but they can easily grab 500k-1mill subs especially if they offer good pvp.

  • ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

    Granted neither game will touch WoW's numbers but they can easily grab 500k-1mill subs especially if they offer good pvp.

    Online gaming is officially dead to anyone over the age of 30 :P

  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Doesn't anyone else get this creepy feeling that Brad is going to bail out of Vanguard after 6 months and leave it to the wolves?

    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

    CS Lewis

  • knightmendesknightmendes Member Posts: 24
    I might be wrong guys, but isnt SoE just publishing the game? I think its safe to say that this isnt the " 1st step" of SoE to manage SIGIL. I think that Brad is a smart guy and he will learn with his mistakes in past and keep SIGIL's best interesses intact. By the way, i think that Microsoft did a good job publishing Vanguard but not as good as SoE is doing. Im from Portugal and since SoE started publishing Vanguard:SoH more and more reviews started appearing in gaming maganizes .
  • n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926


    Originally posted by Agricola1
    Doesn't anyone else get this creepy feeling that Brad is going to bail out of Vanguard after 6 months and leave it to the wolves?

    No, I don't get that feeling at all. Brad already had a very cushy job at SOE and left because he wanted a more hands on postion when it came to game creation. It wouldn't makes sense for him to sell out now that he is back in the position he wanted in the first place.

    image image

  • GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451


    Originally posted by n2sooners

    Originally posted by Agricola1
    Doesn't anyone else get this creepy feeling that Brad is going to bail out of Vanguard after 6 months and leave it to the wolves?
    No, I don't get that feeling at all. Brad already had a very cushy job at SOE and left because he wanted a more hands on postion when it came to game creation. It wouldn't makes sense for him to sell out now that he is back in the position he wanted in the first place.


    And to add to this- it is impossible to tell the future.  Any of your favorite MMO's can be sold to an entity who does not care about the game and only about the cash.  If you are living in fear about the future of a video game and will not invest in it because you are afraid it will be sold and closed, perhaps you should dstay away from all MMO's.  They all have the potential of being sold, changed and closed without notice. 

    But I agree, $OE has history of doing this.  That, I can agree, troubles me too.  But my statement is not any less true.  Only time will tell.

    -W.

Sign In or Register to comment.