Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I just imagining things . . .

okorokor Member Posts: 103
I could have sworn I saw an E3 interview that said they would be adding an evil faction eventually.

Comments

• 7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318
    You would think they would. The LOTR universe is setup so they could have easily made two factions kinda like wow has horde and alliance. I really dont see the advantage of not implementing it at this point, How many freaking Frodo's do we need running around.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Keep in mind this is purely speculation, but if they decide to add an evil faction now, expect this game out around christmas '07. They are going to have to make some new classes and abilities and new character models I would think. Not that I would mind waiting...I REALLY want the whole good vs. evil thing happening in game.

I want Sam's head on a pointy stick!!!!!!!!!!

Joined - July 2004

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    They said they would like to add one eventually.

In WoW Horde isn't evil, only the undead really can be considered close to evil.. and Alliance isn't good either its more like a Britain/Spain Vs. Native American-esque war

I'm sure they will add more races (the evil ones) and such eventually, maybe even before release, alot of companies keep that stuff secret till the last minute.

• waikewaike Member Posts: 112
    WOW SUCKS
  • TrueSilverTrueSilver Member Posts: 28
    I don't really like WoW and you have to realize that the factions in LOTR were at major war.  And also that there really wasn't any "orc heroes", they were the forces of Sauron, why would you want to play a character who had to take commands all the time since they are not free.

That is probably one of the reasons that they only did the good side, besides that, dont want a bunch of griefing pkers running around places killing noobs, makes less people want to play.

• FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555
    I am against an evil faction. It would be cool if you can become evil based on your choices in the game like in knights of the old republic.

It wouldn't make sense for a player to become one of Sauron's minions. They live like animals. They have no towns or social structure.

If the devs wanted an option for evil, it shouldn't be dependent on race. Any race can be evil.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

My biggest problem with the whole "not having an evil side" story in LotRO is that they missed the boat on what could be a great start to a good game. Their missing way to much stuff as it is, but that's an entirely different topic.

Forget about the PVP element for a second and think just strictly PVE for a moment, having an evil side (orcs, trolls, evil wizards, converted humans, wraiths) that would work for Sauron to accomplish evil biddings (quests). The evil side would be constently working against the good side, pve quests effect middle earth in real time, that in turn brings in dramatic story elements and THAT is what lord of the rings has always been about, DRAMA and a good STORY.

As it stands now, it's one side of the equation, although we have to wait to see what that side will be like, one can certainly make assumptions.

And then on top of that, add in certain PvP elements and it could really have been a breath of fresh air.

Either way, hopefully it's something they've thought about or will come in the future but still, again, I can't help but feel they have dramatically underestimated a very key feature and missed an awefully big boat.

• FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555

[quote]The evil side would be constently working against the good side, pve quests effect middle earth in real time, that in turn brings in dramatic story elements and THAT is what lord of the rings has always been about, DRAMA and a good STORY.[/quote]

That was one direction they could have taken the game, but they decided that it would go too far from the world that the books portrayed. I don't think this direction is the only one that could have lead to drama and story. I think the lore of the world will be one of the main strengths of the game. Anyone who played Asheron's Call probably knows that Turbine is very good at lore.

• Cheeto717Cheeto717 Member Posts: 3
    I think they said evil factions were low on their priority list, if it even is on the list.
  • Cheeto717Cheeto717 Member Posts: 3
    I think they said there was a really low chance of them ever putting in evil factions.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    They also said they didn't want PvP or Raids but it's here.  From a PvP perspective, they really do need an evil faction.  Anything less than another side to fight with, PvP will be hollow. 

Since Evil Factions for launch is impossible, maybe expect something like CoH and have a Evil Faction Game/Expansion a year later?

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Valentina
    They said they would like to add one eventually.

In WoW Horde isn't evil, only the undead really can be considered close to evil.. and Alliance isn't good either its more like a Britain/Spain Vs. Native American-esque war

I'm sure they will add more races (the evil ones) and such eventually, maybe even before release, alot of companies keep that stuff secret till the last minute.

I dont play WoW anymore but i know allot about Warcraft lore. In WC there really is no such thing as evil. In fact i would dare to say that humans are far more "evil" then the orc... WC is about survival and in that quest to survive man and orc kind will do anything... sometimes those actions can be confused as Evil but there are not because there is no Good... no ying.

The undead scourge are orcs. Orcs that feel pray to there blood lust. if there is anything that you could label as EVIL in WC, its the Titan that created the legion. that wanted to destroy the world in which he helped create.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• SycondamanSycondaman Member Posts: 262

Originally posted by okor
    I could have sworn I saw an E3 interview that said they would be adding an evil faction eventually.

They didn't state that they would.  They were very strongly against the idea entirely and said flat out that they would not have evil faction at release.  This means there's an extremely small chance of them adding that ability, but I think they meant to say there will be no evil faction, because they clearly stated it does not fit with their, nor Tolkien enterprises, view of Lord of the Rings.

They did state, however, that they are looking into alternative options for PvP.